Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Old 01-26-2015, 03:10 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it! Some say, i'm not ama,fine,i fly on my own property,fine,i have permission to fly here,fine,i love the ama fine,i only fly at club field,fine. Become a member of the ama get a number,put your number on your aircraft make it a nation wide data base to state and local gov. you know like a stnkin regestration number on aircraft,boats and cars. If not,get caught get screwed!!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
binns aero

fly by the rules if not and your caught suspention? fines?lawsuits?prison? GREAT!!!! just like driving your car,boat, motorcycle,AIRPLANE.If we do not become one their will be nothing for all. it's 2015 not 1970.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM
c-130RCpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
Yea i dont think your going to hear to much from the goofs in AMA who let them in ,better to bury their heads in the sand and hide. joe
Gee Joe, you must have missed this......

“We are glad to hear this was an innocent case of someone not realizing the implications of his actions, but this incident shows that education is needed to ensure unmanned aircraft are operated safely and responsibly. Although the UAS operator did not intend to cross over onto the White House lawn, the flight itself violated the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) surrounding the U.S. Capital. For this reason, AMA has been working with the industry and the FAA to educate UAS operators on the safe and responsible use of the technology through our ‘Know Before You Fly’ campaign. We are continuing to get word out through this campaign to help to prevent future incidents like this.” Dave Mathewson, AMA Executive Director
Old 01-26-2015, 03:57 PM
puncho1

Its idiots like that guy that are going to put a hurt on our hobby I hope they prosecute him to the full extent.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:05 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd that for sure. The FBI has the guy and he is cooperating fully with them. He told the FBI, "I wanted to see how it flew in bad weather." REALLY - at 3:00 am. Chic
Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM
oliveDrab

It's not a "drone". It's a quadcopter. Wish the news media would get it right.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM
puncho1

He can say what he wants he new what he was doing most of these quadcopters have home return and what was he doing flying so close to controlled airspace anyways. Unless he was trying to be cute about it.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 PM
El Guapo

As Bugs Bunny would say: "What a maroon" Unfortunately it's way more serious than that. What a frickin' idiot.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, this bodes well for me. As a private pilot and a part-time commercial (architectural) photographer, I believe I represent the future of quadcopter pilots.
I wrote a lengthy response to the AMA back in July, based on reading all the related documents to their rulings.
I forecast that to fly quads in the future, especially FPV and/or for hire (commercially, for pay) one will need to complete at least part of a pilot's certificate.
This incident today was bound to happen - it was just expedited by this clueless gent.

One thing, quads are less conspicuous than a model airplane, can be launched and returned with much more maneuverability, all the while being less conspicuous.
The potential for nefarious intent thus increases, thus an increased determination to control their use.

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete
Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

How many of you have been to the White House lately?.. its surrounded by a fence albeit not a great one! People jump the fence and run into the White House!
People protest outside the fence all the time.. Its not like its a HIGH SECURITY place. It sure in hell is not camp david.
So an employee messes up and flies a quad onto the lawn.. big deal.
Its not like there is anything else on the planet to really worry about
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I want photo of this event on a bumper sticker captioned, "WHAT DIFFERANCE DOES IT MAKE''

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Isn't it amazing how only the "Tin Foil Hats" were predicting things like this coming true just a few years ago...?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:21 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

Why worry about a quad when a man can jump the fence and run into the the East Wing of the White House? I'm just saying. Some security, huh? And the FAA and AMA are gonna take care of this mess? Hmmm, don't think so. Just what this hobby needs at times like this.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Does anyone have a brain anymore???..I heard this on the news tonight,,,and KNEW a thread would be started.... WHAT AN IDIOT this guy is....guys like these will KILL your hobby... I don't fly drones,,,but you better get a handle on it,,,or they will....what a dumbass!!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw this video posted on WSJ last night discussing the incident and drones/quadcopters....what they are and aren't capable of doing

http://www.wsj.com/video/white-house...ng_now_video_3

Probably one of the most intelligent pieces of information for the masses currently out there
Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 AM
mordock999

Originally Posted by TimJ
....Also what I don't buy is the fact
that 3am a government employee was flying a multi-rotor. I smell a cover story.........
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Hmmmmm.

Let's See: You got Senators like Chuck Schumer, the NYPD, Elements of the Media and other Folks, all SCREAMING for Tough Restrictions on (ALL) "Civilian" Remotely Piloted Aircraft and Then, by "Sheer Coincidence" a GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE Just Happens to "Lose Control" of One over the White House Lawn at 3 A.M.???

I Don't Smell a "Cover Story."
I Smell a SETUP.....,

Last edited by mordock999; 01-27-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:55 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Well the good old AMA is Pro anything thing that will bring in the $$
Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 AM
c-130RCpilot

The sky is not falling and not everyone is drinking Kool-Aid:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...is-very-small/
Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Are ya sure the Secret Service didn't have something to do with this crash while O'B was away in India.
Besides it'a Quadcopter not a drone stop referring to them as drones .
Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM
TimJ

CNN needs ratings. Its all about ratings and advertising dollars. Of course the news outlets are going to dramatize or even add satire to their reports.

This will blow over and be forgotten. the world is not coming to an end.

Our hobby is NOT coming to an end.

The world will not self destruct tomorrow......................
Old 01-27-2015, 07:31 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redtail
2nd that for sure. The FBI has the guy and he is cooperating fully with them. He told the FBI, "I wanted to see how it flew in bad weather." REALLY - at 3:00 am. Chic
Lots of government jobs have night shifts, could be he was on his lunch break.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by pkoury
Lots of government jobs have night shifts, could be he was on his lunch break.
Or maybe in the SS
Old 01-27-2015, 07:38 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by mordock999
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Hmmmmm.

Let's See: You got Senators like Chuck Schumer, the NYPD, Elements of the Media and other Folks, all SCREAMING for Tough Restrictions on (ALL) "Civilian" Remotely Piloted Aircraft and Then, by "Sheer Coincidence" a GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE Just Happens to "Lose Control" of One over the White House Lawn at 3 A.M.???

I Don't Smell a "Cover Story."
I Smell a SETUP.....,
That is an interesting hypothesis, would the Federal Government ever stoop that low?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:52 AM
no2v

The AMA clowns are interested in money only !
Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 AM
ath5774

Originally Posted by BobH
So an employee messes up and flies a quad onto the lawn.. big deal.
Its not like there is anything else on the planet to really worry about
Exactly the precise problem over all. ( sigh )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.