Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c-130RCpilot
Gee Joe, you must have missed this......

“We are glad to hear this was an innocent case of someone not realizing the implications of his actions, but this incident shows that education is needed to ensure unmanned aircraft are operated safely and responsibly. Although the UAS operator did not intend to cross over onto the White House lawn, the flight itself violated the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) surrounding the U.S. Capital. For this reason, AMA has been working with the industry and the FAA to educate UAS operators on the safe and responsible use of the technology through our ‘Know Before You Fly’ campaign. We are continuing to get word out through this campaign to help to prevent future incidents like this.” Dave Mathewson, AMA Executive Director
So my AMA Yearly dues are going to pay for helping these nuts breaking rules or teaching them rules with their FPVs and bringing on wanted attention to my nice hobby of flying my rc plane for going on 40 years at my club field . Yea i dont think i missed a thing. joe
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The DJI software has some rudimentary controls in place. They have an airport database that restricts flying within a certain radius of some major airports and restricts altitude as you move away from the airpot. Around Reagan National there is a 1.5 mile NO-FLY zone, and then from there out to 8 miles the altitude goes from 35 feet to 400 feet.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

The White House is just over 3 miles from Reagan National, so a Phantom could easily be flown around the White House area and at altitudes up to a couple of hundred feet.

In addition, this software is only operative on the Phantom 2 series of DJI quads and only if the most current software is uploaded to the quad.

The DJI "Fly Safe" is a joke. In the LA area only LAX, John Wayne and Ontario are in the database. Long Beach, Bob Hope, Van Nuys, Los Alamitos, Torrance, Chino, Whiteman, Hawthorne, Santa Monica, and El Monte are all absent from their database. So an uninformed DJI owner could fire it up and fly near any of those airports thinking he is good to go based on DJI's flawed "Fly Safe" software.
+1.

Don't rely on the DJI No Fly Zones, they are sadly lacking - in Australia they miss most of the restricted airspace and still allow you to fly on the approach path of capital city airports.

No Fly zones are a good idea in concept but poorly implemented if the protections don't match real airspace. - it gives users a false sense of security and new comers relying on the DJI No Fly zones to protect them are making a HUGE Mistake.

EG, There is no protection over our Parliament House in Canberra ( Australia's equivalent to the White House)

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This incident was made public, why? The last thing you want to do is let the bad guy know your lack of security.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
This incident was made public, why? The last thing you want to do is let the bad guy know your lack of security.
Mr. "flycatch" as a lifetime (1 month from 79 years) model airplane, and 41 years of piloting man-carrying aircraft, I disagree with you. If we the public do NOT
be CERTAIN that bad things be made public, then we will only know the good things, as we now know. As one that has been well into various politics for the most of my life, and for certain the past 10 years, I have uncovered numerous things that the upper crust hides. I have been threatened with a number of "reasons" why I should not do so.
My big regret is that I did not start much earlier. IMO, many of our bad things could have been stopped well in advance of the government's taking away rights and being in bed with both foreign and home groups that have cost us dearly. In the current time, I am very sorry for our Nation.
Now let's make our situations public and enjoy the greatest SPORT in the world: MODEL AVIATION !
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no2v
The AMA clowns are interested in money only !
Then don't renew that'll teach the buggers.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StevL
It was a government employee flying it, not a secret service agent though.

How f-ing stupid.

Steve
Yes, he is F-ing stupid !!!! He is a " GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE " !!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Easy there, buddy. Soldiers are government employees, too.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by joebahl
So my AMA Yearly dues are going to pay for helping these nuts breaking rules or teaching them rules with their FPVs and bringing on wanted attention to my nice hobby of flying my rc plane for going on 40 years at my club field . Yea i dont think i missed a thing. joe
Hearing people like this make me laugh!!! You are probably part of the same group that preaches that we need more young people in our hobby.

WELL?! Here it is handed to you on a silver platter. All sorts of different people interested in radio control aircraft. All sorts of people whom have no clue about rules and safety that need your help.

But instead you would rather shun them away instead of offer help?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Tommygun

I agree, I have no I have no idea why AMA includes the drones, they need to cut ties with the quad copter crowd.. Drones are not model aircraft at all, but rather just airborne camera platforms. The owners have no interest in or affinity for aviation, they just want video. Im sorry, but thats not "model aviation." They are pulling down on the coattails of traditional model pilots, and will bring us down with them in the looming regulations. 30 years of partaking in this hobby, what a shame to see it end like this.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:59 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

TimJ

Right. Well almost. Let them in, but they have to scratch build (balsa of course) scale aircraft and fly in a pattern.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:02 PM
TimJ

The White House did not have a choice in the matter. For what ever reason CNN was camped out there.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Default Drinking and Droning....don't do it!

http://gizmodo.com/guy-who-crashed-d...unk-1682086224

Check out who he works for! Cue the conspiracy theorists!
Old 01-27-2015, 01:05 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ever hear of the "Lusitania" ? there is more at stake here than our toy airplanes. I hope everyone in these forums and all of these "Drone" threads realize this.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM
TimJ

Those of you who want to toss out the "Drone" guys or refuse to help them because they fly Multi-Rotor radio controlled aircraft should consider yourself R/C snobs, and/or R/C Bigots.

Welcome them to your local field with arms wide open. That gives you the opportunity to get one less multi-rotor out of the public airspace and into a more controlled airspace of your local
radio control aircraft flying site. That will put a stop to one less Multi-Rotor finding itself in the spot light. You can make a difference and help your hobby by doing this.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by porcia83
http://gizmodo.com/guy-who-crashed-d...unk-1682086224

Check out who he works for! Cue the conspiracy theorists!
Drunk too! That is just too comical. We can get MADD after him as well. Not only did he threaten the president, break the AMA safety code, but also commit one of the most politically incorrect crime imaginable: Operating a machine while intoxicated. The plot thickens! lol
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by TimJ
Those of you who want to toss out the "Drone" guys or refuse to help them because they fly Multi-Rotor radio controlled aircraft should consider yourself R/C snobs, and/or R/C Bigots.

Welcome them to your local field with arms wide open. That gives you the opportunity to get one less multi-rotor out of the public airspace and into a more controlled airspace of your local
radio control aircraft flying site. That will put a stop to one less Multi-Rotor finding itself in the spot light. You can make a difference and help your hobby by doing this.
The one "Drone" pilot we had join our club was not interested in following the rules. He would fly a mile or so away, full FPV and autonomous, with out a spotter. And he did not care. So, what do you do with them? The ones not interested in following the rules.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:19 PM
joebahl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Hearing people like this make me laugh!!! You are probably part of the same group that preaches that we need more young people in our hobby.

WELL?! Here it is handed to you on a silver platter. All sorts of different people interested in radio control aircraft. All sorts of people whom have no clue about rules and safety that need your help.

But instead you would rather shun them away instead of offer help?
When it looks like airplane then its welcome, now go fly your FPV and peek into your neighors windows timmy . joe
Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Sport_Pilot

Why was my French Drome bar joke deleted?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
The one "Drone" pilot we had join our club was not interested in following the rules. He would fly a mile or so away, full FPV and autonomous, with out a spotter. And he did not care. So, what do you do with them? The ones not interested in following the rules.
Take appropriate disciplinary action. Make sure your club documents each disciplinary action as well. If said person still does not want to continue to play nice, if documented a complaint can be filled with the AMA to have his card pulled.

But first your club's board of directors may want to pull his membership card and have him collect it at your club's next Board Of Directors meeting. That way calmly everyone can discuss the issue with said pilot. May be it will give your club's BOD a chance to fill in said pilot on the rules and why it is important for the safety of the club and their flying site why said pilot needs to follow the outlined club rules and AMA safety guidelines.

Last edited by TimJ; 01-27-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM
TimJ

When it looks like airplane then its welcome, now go fly your FPV and peek into your neighors windows timmy . joe
Your acting like a child and disrespect is not going to run me off.....Joe......
Old 01-27-2015, 01:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Yes, he is F-ing stupid !!!! He is a " GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE " !!!!
Who is stupid. The goveernment employee or the people who let these idiot's rule them?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:29 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The DJI software has some rudimentary controls in place. They have an airport database that restricts flying within a certain radius of some major airports and restricts altitude as you move away from the airpot. Around Reagan National there is a 1.5 mile NO-FLY zone, and then from there out to 8 miles the altitude goes from 35 feet to 400 feet.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

The White House is just over 3 miles from Reagan National, so a Phantom could easily be flown around the White House area and at altitudes up to a couple of hundred feet.

In addition, this software is only operative on the Phantom 2 series of DJI quads and only if the most current software is uploaded to the quad.

The DJI "Fly Safe" is a joke. In the LA area only LAX, John Wayne and Ontario are in the database. Long Beach, Bob Hope, Van Nuys, Los Alamitos, Torrance, Chino, Whiteman, Hawthorne, Santa Monica, and El Monte are all absent from their database. So an uninformed DJI owner could fire it up and fly near any of those airports thinking he is good to go based on DJI's flawed "Fly Safe" software.
Thanks Bill.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Tommygun
I agree, I have no I have no idea why AMA includes the drones, they need to cut ties with the quad copter crowd.. Drones are not model aircraft at all, but rather just airborne camera platforms. The owners have no interest in or affinity for aviation, they just want video. Im sorry, but thats not "model aviation." They are pulling down on the coattails of traditional model pilots, and will bring us down with them in the looming regulations. 30 years of partaking in this hobby, what a shame to see it end like this.
Actually most learn to fly them without aid. I do not think you can do many tricks using gps coordinates, and those are few. Doing flips, rolls, etc is common. IMO you and others are overeacting. The story is probably doing us more good than harm as it is showing how silly this is.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Tommygun
I half agree with your comment as it is true for some drone owners but not all of them.

I have numerous multicopters now, most are fast aerobatic 3D capable models with no ability to carry a camera and lots of fun to fly. Its like a mix between flying a Helicopter and a Plane.

Flyng a drone like this requires more skill than flying a fixed wing plane in my opinion.

The pilots who fly these usually have previous experience with RC and don't break rules. The RTF newcomers without experience or knowledge of the rules are the ones we have to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJO0foeRQA

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-27-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Drunk too! That is just too comical. We can get MADD after him as well. Not only did he threaten the president, break the AMA safety code, but also commit one of the most politically incorrect crime imaginable: Operating a machine while intoxicated. The plot thickens! lol

I mentioned that who ever it was had probabably flown it from a French Drome bar. Though the post was deleted. Looks like I was close!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.