Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebahl
When it looks like airplane then its welcome, now go fly your FPV and peek into your neighors windows timmy . joe

Baby Baby! PUSH IT!

Well your post is sillier than the above.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:09 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Your acting like a child and disrespect is not going to run me off.....Joe......
We can tell the FPV flyers who want to hover on the flight line at or nice club flying sites to film us getting more and more upset while we try and fly our scratch built planes.. Dont want to run you off stick around and hear why alot of us old hats think the AMA is wrong for inviting FPVs in just for the money. Now they are in and its not looking like they are going to make any cash only pay lawyers to defend the crazy FPV flyers who think they are cool . Its a vidio game to them and nothing else. OH! I act like a child often when others try and wreck my hobby because they just dont care. Yea we know your flying these FPVs also Sport pilot . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-27-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Likely not meant to end up there but it raises concern for both sides.suppose one flies into an area where there is a nuclear plant.until now it has been quiet but this will raise eyebrows for sure.none of this is good karma for the rc hobby as a whole.as I have said before the rogues out there are doing their best to ruin the rc hobby.I see one hover over me I will do whatever I can to knock it down.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:24 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
Likely not meant to end up there but it raises concern for both sides.suppose one flies into an area where there is a nuclear plant.until now it has been quiet but this will raise eyebrows for sure.none of this is good karma for the rc hobby as a whole.as I have said before the rogues out there are doing their best to ruin the rc hobby.I see one hover over me I will do whatever I can to knock it down.
Then hunt down the owner :-) I dont see these same guys in the AMA forums so the ones spouting off here i guess dont belong . joe

Last edited by joebahl; 01-27-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
Easy there, buddy. Soldiers are government employees, too.
Government employees in Washington are a far cry from our military.

Plus, you can go easy yourself buddy, you are talking to a VET !!!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Me, too.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting that some new models wont arm if within 5 miles of an airport. Hopefully, this feature will get better over time. Tho, it is a shame some people are dumb enough not to know of an airport near them. I fly crappy foam planes (no FPV) but I still take into consideration factors to decide where I fly. I don't want my plane landing on someone's roof or in their backyard or coming down on a playground full of kids. Even tho the danger of actually hurting someone is minimal, why take the risk? Just find a large, open, place with no one nearby.

The truth of the matter is, drones (hate that word) basically any RC with first person view capability is in the same vain as guns. People pay big bucks to own them and use them recreationally. But either guns or drones can be used either recklessly or on purpose to hurt people.

I mean, I could build a plane out of $50 worth of parts and $5 worth of dollar tree foam board that could carry a couple pounds of whatever and drop it where I want. It concerns me that the idiots getting "drones" in the news may cause them to implement laws that will only effect those of us who actually care about the law.
Lets face it, if someone wants to use a RC to attack someone or someplace, no law is going to stop them. Just like none of the gun laws are stopping people from shooting others. But since there are much fewer americans who fly RC than there are that own guns, they may be able to in act stricter laws than they would on guns. Wouldn't that be odd?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:07 PM
bradpaul

When it looks like airplane then its welcome, now go fly your FPV and peek into your neighors windows timmy . joe
You OK with this Joe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWfqVWC2KI#t=70 or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_EOhG3iFt8#t=53

Last edited by bradpaul; 01-27-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:13 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by bradpaul
As long as its not over my head or hovering in front of me on the flight line ,go for it.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:17 PM
bradpaul

As long as its not over my head or hovering in front of me on the flight line ,go for it.
So when you said they need to look like airplanes you mis spoke?

Got a problem with this?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyGlider.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	2068375  
Old 01-27-2015, 04:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Real or faked, the FPV quadcopter videos catching topless women sunbathers on buildings, and in back yards are starting to POP up...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

An inside source has told me that the Secret Service and the Border Patrol has ordered 5000 of these miniature "Predators" to shoot down the Drones and Phantoms...

http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-drone-2500mm-kit.html
Old 01-27-2015, 04:44 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

One of the problems with these types of aircraft (FPV, autonomous), the technology does not lend itself to following the guidelines laid out by the AMA. It is too restrictive. And it is just too tempting to fly FPV as far away as you can, and push the limits.

I flew on Sunday and there was a quad copter out there. Nobody had a problem, other than the fact he flew in the pit area, but certainly nobody got rude or anything. Heck, we are all friends out there. But the entire flight was flown line of sight. As FPV and Autonomous flight are not allowed at our field.

I am actually looking to get a quad. I like the looks of these new racer platforms. I will follow the rules. It has been my experience that the quads make it easier to not follow the rules. One thing is for sure, more are coming, like it or not. And incidence like these do not help.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:45 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by bradpaul
So when you said they need to look like airplanes you mis spoke?

Got a problem with this?

No for myself i didnt mis speak i would rather eat bark than be seen flying a FPV looking thing or strap a camera on my plane . If you cant see that by letting them into the AMA its going to cost tjhe ama alot of money defending them Brad then lets talk back here in a year or so we can see how it all plays out. You have seen me defend the AMA in many threads here but it goes both ways . When i see a mistake i wont sugar coat it for anyone . joe
Old 01-27-2015, 04:52 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Tommygun
I agree, I have no I have no idea why AMA includes the drones, they need to cut ties with the quad copter crowd.. Drones are not model aircraft at all, but rather just airborne camera platforms. The owners have no interest in or affinity for aviation, they just want video. Im sorry, but thats not "model aviation." They are pulling down on the coattails of traditional model pilots, and will bring us down with them in the looming regulations. 30 years of partaking in this hobby, what a shame to see it end like this.
Give it UP go get a life Quads are here to stay U round rounders are numbered. Boring
Old 01-27-2015, 04:55 PM
HoundDog

No for myself i didnt mis speak i would rather eat bark than be seen flying a FPV looking thing or strap a camera on my plane . If you cant see that by letting them into the AMA its going to cost tjhe ama alot of money defending them Brad then lets talk back here in a year or so we can see how it all plays out. You have seen me defend the AMA in many threads here but it goes both ways . When i see a mistake i wont sugar coat it for anyone . joe
If U haven't done it don't knock it There going to take all your Gas noise makers away from ya. and make U fly small Lectric and gliders.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the term "drone" technically refers to ANY unmanned aircraft. If it flies, and doesn't have a person on it, it is a drone.

But to me, a drone is a flying RC with FPV capability. That capability not only allows the pilot to see or take video of objects or people far away, but also allows control of the aircraft far beyond the pilots' line of sight.

To me, that is where the difficulty comes in. While I have not flown a FPV plane or copter, I can understand why it would be fun. Even if you didn't fly the play outside of the field where you were, the ability to see as if you were on the craft is cool.
But, FPV means you can fly your craft far from where you are...which gives it the ability to be used for means other than recreation.

I would hate to see FPV, or even just cameras on RC aircraft banned....but it wouldn't surprise me either. At the very least, I can see such things on your RC plane or copter being banned in certain areas.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:59 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Give it UP go get a life Quads are here to stay U round rounders are numbered. Boring
Then learn how to fly them safley and follow the rules ! Police your own nuts flying these things and stop bringing un wanted attention to us reg rc flyers ! Its that simple DOG !
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Reports state he is a DOD staffer and he was drinking/drunk when it happened . Why is he not in jail or at least charged ? There are laws already on the books covering this(no fly zone for one) and I'm sure if it was a Joe six-pack who did this he would probably be in need of a lawyer by about noon today. Meanwhile the FAA and congress are trying to write new laws to restrict the entire hobby because of a few morons.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM
hairy46

Hope this complete idiot knows what he has done' hope h goes to jail if for no other reason of being so stupid!!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:25 PM
HoundDog

Then learn how to fly them safley and follow the rules ! Police your own nuts flying these things and stop bringing unwanted attention to us reg rc flyers ! Its that simple DOG !
I fly every thing safely your preaching to the quire here. I am the epitome of Safety ...The rest of the world has condoned sUAVs FPV Drones it's just the stupid FAA that hasn't done their job ... They were to have the FAR's in place 2 years ago and they haven't done their job ... but if U bad mouth these things the feds will divide and conquer us one type of R/C Airplane DRONE at a time' Get Hobby king and others to include a warning that flying Quads ect in a dangerous or restricted area can lead to Fines and /or Jail.
Speaking of flying safely when is the last time U said anything to your fellow club member that can fly for crap and is dangerous ... and don't tell me U don't have any one like that every club has at least one if no more..... If U refuse to acknowledge these people are not flying anything safely then U are the problem not them.

I'm sick n tired of people that if I don't do it no one should ... or the guy that flys IMAC Pattern Scale choppers Quads Whatever , think they run the field ... or the guy that doesn't like Lectric ... anyone that pays their club dues should be allowed to fly anything they please. if they are capable of doing it safely. if the can't they shouldn't be allowed to fly until the are able to do it Safely.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by hairy46
Hope this complete idiot knows what he has done' hope h goes to jail if for no other reason of being so stupid!!!!
He's a government employee probably SS and wanted to see how his buddy's Quad flew in weather and he had been drinking ... Because he with the "IN CROWD" nothing will happen ...
Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 PM
puncho1

I don't think it matters guys what kind of r\c platform we fly we just have to be lawful and respectful with our models and use common sense when we take to the air. I don't think it would've mattered if he flew a r\c hot air balloon into the white house yard it is still a threat in their eyes. I have been flying for 21 years and love my hobby hope this doesn't take a turn for the worse.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by puncho1
I don't think it matters guys what kind of r\c platform we fly we just have to be lawful and respectful with our models and use common sense when we take to the air. I don't think it would've mattered if he flew a r\c hot air balloon into the white house yard it is still a threat in their eyes. I have been flying for 21 years and love my hobby hope this doesn't take a turn for the worse.

Out of he 500k R/C flyers only 170k are AMA members ... most of the Park field own property guys have no Idea of what is safe and what isn't ... If an AMA club member that doesn't do a Range check at the beginning of a flying period with each plane his he breaking the AMA Safety code ... U bet he is cause the AMA code says U should. Is the guy that flys over the pits fence or other breaking the AMA code certainly... Are U dielectric in your duties if U refuse to say anything to thee individuals U Better Bet Your Bippy. Had a long discussion years ago with the then AMA safety officer at the AMA. It was about one of our members that continually was breaking the rules club and AMA the out come was we were told in writing by this AMA safety guy that if we didn't document what we were doing to correct the situation, That when of if something happened our club would be on it's own if some one desided to SUE us because of this guy. And he stated it will be a guest but most likely one of your own members or they survivors that sill sue the club, it officers and anyone that has deep pockets .... So take it for what it is we all have a duty to fly safely and to make sure others do too.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:18 PM
tevans55

National Geospatial Intelligence Agency employee.....I'm sorry, isn't "Government Intelligence" the original Oxymoron?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.