Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Actually I don't think the public reacts that much to the fear tactics. But politicians seem to take it to heart.
It's not so much a reaction, but a slow and consistent conditioning form government preschool, grade school, high school, college to make people insecure in their day to day lives and to look to government for food (food stamps), housing (section 8), communication (Obama phone) and health care.............. A dependent citizenry is a controlled citizenry.

Accept the premise that the government should ban a type of toy (RC aircraft) and just hope that what you fly is not next.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://time.com/3683923/obama-drone-regulation/

Obama calls for regulation in this video.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:20 AM
308jockey

It looks like DJI is going to add firmware to their products to keep them from flying over 10,000 airports, across national borders and in D.C. I hate to see it but it's better than having it madated by government. Too bad that so many idiots have brought us to this.

Rick H.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have been enoying our little hobby for a looong time without to much trouble from the government till now ,so if you cant figure out why its starting to change around FPVs being abused by guys who just dont care where they fly them or who or what they try and film with them then its your fault . You cant blame the government or people who dont want their pictures taken on their own land or in their homes. Republicans would be the first to pull their big guns out and shoot one down if on their land taking pictures so lets not blame Obama . lmao You guys shovel stuff great and need to go help out the east after the storm but thats not what you guys are shoveling here .lol

Last edited by joebahl; 01-28-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:15 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it were not for the 2nd amendment, our right to own guns would have gone away a long time ago. We have no such protection, for any of our other activities. Hopefully sanity will prevail when the dust settles.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cant blame the government
You can't blame the government for banning essentially safe toy's? I think you can, and should!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
BUDMAN27

Benjamin Franklin said that. O M G .
Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 PM
DeferredDefect

I'm still really confused about the viewpoints on drones and multi rotors in the RCU community.

On one hand, we have the top rated threads claiming the FAA is coming after us, overstepping their boundaries, and how they should have no jurisdiction over our harmless toys. Banning anything is clear evidence that we are living under a 1940s style dictatorship!

On the other hand, we have the top rated threads claiming we need the FAA to go after the guys flying something other than a scratch built balsa + glow model flying at an AMA sanctioned club field. Banning multi rotors and other aspects of the R/C hobby are an acceptable measure to save our hobby (for me, the true modeller, at least)!

At the very least, it seems the arguments are ill-informed and completely emotionally driven. What do 'y'all think?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by DeferredDefect
I'm still really confused about the viewpoints on drones and multi rotors in the RCU community.

On one hand, we have the top rated threads claiming the FAA is coming after us, overstepping their boundaries, and how they should have no jurisdiction over our harmless toys. Banning anything is clear evidence that we are living under a 1940s style dictatorship!

On the other hand, we have the top rated threads claiming we need the FAA to go after the guys flying something other than a scratch built balsa + glow model flying at an AMA sanctioned club field. Banning multi rotors and other aspects of the R/C hobby are an acceptable measure to save our hobby (for me, the true modeller, at least)!

At the very least, it seems the arguments are ill-informed and completely emotionally driven. What do 'y'all think?
Uh, Oh. I hope you have a flame suit!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
?? How is he wrong??

From the DC FRZ;
Airspace Definition:
Center: WASHINGTON VOR/DME(DCA) (Latitude: 38º51'34"N, Longitude: 77º02'11"W)
Radius: 30 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not including 18000 feet MSL

Frank
The FRZ is only 15 miles. The ADIZ is 30 miles. Unless this information is old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing..._Columbia_ADIZ
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by BUDMAN27
Benjamin Franklin said that. O M G .
That Tinkerbell needs new wings?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 PM
DeferredDefect

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Uh, Oh. I hope you have a flame suit!
Haha no, but that's why I'm hiding up North!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 PM
joebahl

If i fly one of my scale airplanes in government contoled airspace or in full scale airplane airspace that the FAA controls then i should be put in jail . You cant have it one way or the other but it seams like FPV flyers dont care where they fly or who they get mad at them .The AMA took them in for guess what $ and now they are tied to our ars . Its either them or us and if they are causing all the news reporters to weigh in on rc as a whole guess who needs to go . lol For a country that cant control or get rid of a city mayor who smokes crack and admitts it ,its funny your weighing in on our government problems . At least in Chicago we put all of our ex mayors in prison. lmao

Last edited by joebahl; 01-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
haefeli

I have not read thru all the posts but I think there AMA should rethink their ad policies. They claim to spend so much in Washington dealing with the FAA fighting for our rights, then when we get our AMA mags on the inside cover is some new drone maker's ad. I find this disturbing .............now a month or 2 back there was an article about drone courses with degrees at some college. In the article there was a picture and in it's caption it states this college has a "vast" amount of land to fly these things that if I am not mistaken says something to the effect it was off limits to almost everybody. if I am not completely wrong as I read this a month ago check around page 63 and you all will see this picture with what I am trying to tell you all about. These things are in football stadiums and who knows where else. Makes me think my 2 year building project will never see the sky from being outlawed before I am done building it.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:51 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by haefeli
I have not read thru all the posts but I think there AMA should rethink their ad policies. They claim to spend so much in Washington dealing with the FAA fighting for our rights, then when we get our AMA mags on the inside cover is some new drone maker's ad. I find this disturbing .............now a month or 2 back there was an article about drone courses with degrees at some college. In the article there was a picture and in it's caption it states this college has a "vast" amount of land to fly these things that if I am not mistaken says something to the effect it was off limits to almost everybody. if I am not completely wrong as I read this a month ago check around page 63 and you all will see this picture with what I am trying to tell you all about. These things are in football stadiums and who knows where else. Makes me think my 2 year building project will never see the sky from being outlawed before I am done building it.
The AMA is supose to spend 250,000 on educating the FPV flyers . Every time i see that type it or read it a little puke comes up on me. joe
Old 01-28-2015, 01:02 PM
DeferredDefect

Originally Posted by joebahl
If i fly one of my scale airplanes in government contoled airspace or in full scale airplane airspace that the FAA controls then i should be put in jail . You cant have it one way or the other but it seams like FPV flyers dont care where they fly or who they get mad at them .The AMA took them in for guess what $ and now they are tied to our ars . Its either them or us and if they are causing all the news reporters to weigh in on rc as a whole guess who needs to go . lol For a country that cant control or get rid of a city mayor who smokes crack and admitts it ,its funny your weighing in on our government problems . At least in Chicago we put all of our ex mayors in prison. lmao
The only people supporting Rob Ford were a small group of Toronto right wingers. Practically everyone else wanted him gone, but the international media made him into a celebrity.

My concern with the involvement with the FAA is largely because they have an enormous influence on our own Transport Canada. In fact, the entire bank of 500 series regs is literally taken directly from the FAA.

Social trends, including the "drone hysteria" have also been imported, so it's very important for me as a Canadian to stay informed beyond my own country.

That being said, I totally believe that if a law is broken, like in the case of the White House, the person should be arrested, regardless of my political views regarding model aircraft. That's just common sense.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 PM
TimJ

The AMA is supose to spend 250,000 on educating the FPV flyers . Every time i see that type it or read it a little puke comes up on me. joe
You are probably the same guy at the field that runs people off if they don't fly anything but scale.

You are probably the same guy that preaches that we need more people in the hobby.....

YOU ARE the same guy that whines about the Multi-Rotor guys but doesn't bother to take the time to help them learn the ways of Radio Control.

The AMA is taking the time to educate them and help assimilate them into the radio control world.

It is not about the money for the AMA. It is about education and the love for the hobby. Members help make that happen.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 PM
joebahl

The only people supporting Rob Ford were a small group of Toronto right wingers. Practically everyone else wanted him gone, but the international media made him into a celebrity.

My concern with the involvement with the FAA is largely because they have an enormous influence on our own Transport Canada. In fact, the entire bank of 500 series regs is literally taken directly from the FAA.

Social trends, including the "drone hysteria" have also been imported, so it's very important for me as a Canadian to stay informed beyond my own country.

That being said, I totally believe that if a law is broken, like in the case of the White House, the person should be arrested, regardless of my political views regarding model aircraft. That's just common sense.
I agree with you 100 percent And was kidding about your crack head mayor . Our problem is the AMA our rc non for proffit org who we as members pay with our dues decided to let FPVs into our org for the money and now the money is not looking so good. Should the guys who follow the AMA rules and dont break any laws sit back and not complain about the ones who break the law or bring unwanted attention to our org ?After 35 years as a AMA member not me ! Timmy glad you found somthing you can almost fly but it still does not look like a plane . lol You are right on one thing tho ,they wont be welcome at my two clubs and if they are the heli guys can put up with them on the other side of the club filed in their section.

Last edited by joebahl; 01-28-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM
DeferredDefect

I agree with you 100 percent And was kidding about your crack head mayor . Our problem is the AMA our rc non for proffit org who we as members pay with our dues decided to let FPVs into our org for the money and now the money is not looking so good. Should the guys who follow the AMA rules and dont break any laws sit back and not complain about the ones who break the law or bring unwanted attention to our org ?After 35 years as a AMA member not me ! Timmy glad you found somthing you can almost fly but it still does not look like a plane . lol joe
Haha no offence taken! It sounds like there needs to be some better representation by the AMA across the board. Changing trends always mean that someone will get stepped on, and unfortunately, that means it's the balsa and glow crowd, which is the group I most identify with.

The biggest trouble now for us is that we are nowhere near the majority anymore, and in the eyes of the legislators, don't have any sort of authority in numbers. The AMA had 140000 members last year, but something like a Parrot drone has sold over half a million units in 2013. In the same year, DJI sold 20000 units a month, and since last year RTF quad sales have positively exploded, so I wouldn't be surprised if those figures are half of what they are now.

I don't pretend to have a solution, but it's unlikely that the model airplane crowd will ever have the authority to fight legislation unless someone includes extremely specific guidelines for us.

Even then, the line is blurring daily - where does a balsa flying wing turn into a flying wing drone? I have a digital camera in my Kadet, does that make it the same as a DJI Phantom being flown line-of-sight? Helicopters as camera platforms have existed for years, isn't a quadcopter just an improvement? 3 axis gyros are popular in some IMAC planes, and have been used in glow trainers since the 1990s; how is that different in terms of automation than a self levelling multirotor?

And the biggest question of all - how on earth are the legislators and public going to make those distinguishing cutoff points?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM
TimJ

I agree with you 100 percent And was kidding about your crack head mayor . Our problem is the AMA our rc non for proffit org who we as members pay with our dues decided to let FPVs into our org for the money and now the money is not looking so good. Should the guys who follow the AMA rules and dont break any laws sit back and not complain about the ones who break the law or bring unwanted attention to our org ?After 35 years as a AMA member not me ! Timmy glad you found somthing you can almost fly but it still does not look like a plane . lol You are right on one thing tho ,they wont be welcome at my two clubs and if they are the heli guys can put up with them on the other side of the club filed in their section.
So Joey I take it you don't like "those jet guys" at your field either?........

You have a choice here. Embrace them into your club and teach them the way of radio control.

Or

You can let them continue to fly at your local park or where ever they think is right and continue to cause problems. Problems for both them and the radio control hobby.

BTW, radio controlled Fixed wing that can land themselves are not too far from hitting your Local Hobby Shop. That will also attract fresh people that will require hand holding to teach them the ways of radio control. Would you run those guys off too?

You and I both know that when those hit the shelves people will be using streets as runways to fly....
Old 01-28-2015, 01:54 PM
joebahl

Haha no offence taken! It sounds like there needs to be some better representation by the AMA across the board. Changing trends always mean that someone will get stepped on, and unfortunately, that means it's the balsa and glow crowd, which is the group I most identify with.

The biggest trouble now for us is that we are nowhere near the majority anymore, and in the eyes of the legislators, don't have any sort of authority in numbers. The AMA had 140000 members last year, but something like a Parrot drone has sold over half a million units in 2013. In the same year, DJI sold 20000 units a month, and since last year RTF quad sales have positively exploded, so I wouldn't be surprised if those figures are half of what they are now.

I don't pretend to have a solution, but it's unlikely that the model airplane crowd will ever have the authority to fight legislation unless someone includes extremely specific guidelines for us.

Even then, the line is blurring daily - where does a balsa flying wing turn into a flying wing drone? I have a digital camera in my Kadet, does that make it the same as a DJI Phantom being flown line-of-sight? Helicopters as camera platforms have existed for years, isn't a quadcopter just an improvement? 3 axis gyros are popular in some IMAC planes, and have been used in glow trainers since the 1990s; how is that different in terms of automation than a self levelling multirotor?

And the biggest question of all - how on earth are the legislators and public going to make those distinguishing cutoff points?
I buy my plans iam hooked on now from Ivan in your country and his contribution to elecrtct flight won him a award there.Great guy and a old biker like iam. Timmy i was president of my 275 member club for two terms and a flight instructor for 30 years in two clubs . I ran contests for many of those years and competed in pattern and pylon as a kid. Hope that lets you figure out what i do at my club field. Jets are welcome at my club field and in fact iam looking for plans now to build one. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0206.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	2068667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2068668  

Last edited by joebahl; 01-28-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:55 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

are thedrone bought by the rc flyers or other people who just want one to fly tell your local hobby shop to stop selling them
Old 01-28-2015, 02:49 PM
TimJ

I buy my plans iam hooked on now from Ivan in your country and his contribution to elecrtct flight won him a award there.Great guy and a old biker like iam. Timmy i was president of my 275 member club for two terms and a flight instructor for 30 years in two clubs . I ran contests for many of those years and competed in pattern and pylon as a kid. Hope that lets you figure out what i do at my club field. Jets are welcome at my club field and in fact iam looking for plans now to build one. joe
Excellent! So an accomplished man of your stature should understand the necessity of being inclusive instead of exclusive.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 PM
bikedriver
My Feedback: (83)

None of you have yet figured out who the "real" drone at the white house is!!! Any guesses?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by TimJ
Excellent! So an accomplished man of your stature should understand the necessity of being inclusive instead of exclusive.
You asked about jets at my club fields and i said yes but i dont think our jet guys are not going to like FPV flyers hovering over the field when they do a 200 mph low pass , They complain about slow prop planes already . lol Bikerider they all look the same to me and all do the same thing ,annoy others !

Last edited by joebahl; 01-28-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.