Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:13 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimJ
Thats never going to happen for us modelers. It will for the commercial side.
Man I hope U R right but u know the Government get's on a roll especially when O'B says "these things need to be regulated"
O'B was not talking about Commercial and the White House DRONE was certainly chimerical ...
[h=2]Good luck if U think it won't affect our toy airplanes.

Obama: We need more drone regulations:[/h]http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/politi...drones-fareed/
Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A quadcopter falls on the WH lawn.

Really ... why the hysteria? It's a nothing-incident, really.

If one dropped on your lawn, would you seek to regulate a whole nation?

Anyway, it's another perfect illustration of the mindset "punish the people who didn't do it".
Old 01-29-2015, 10:08 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Man I hope U R right but u know the Government get's on a roll especially when O'B says "these things need to be regulated"
O'B was not talking about Commercial and the White House DRONE was certainly chimerical ...
Good luck if U think it won't affect our toy airplanes.

Obama: We need more drone regulations:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/politi...drones-fareed/
Airliners will need to start sucking these things in to their engines before us modelers will be affected.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:50 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
It's not a "drone". It's a quadcopter.
To the non-r/c crowd, quadcopter = drone

I've flown a few foamies off of the golf course fairway beside my house for the last several years. Neighbors and golfers have seen me do it, some even stop and watch, ask a few questions, generally like it and think it looks fun (it is!).

Broke out my new DJI Phantom II a few months ago, immediately, "Cool, what kind of drone is that?" To a person, anyone seeing it calls it a 'drone.'

Again, to the non-r/c crowd, quadcopter = drone
Old 01-30-2015, 04:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

I doubt many here click on videos of drone ads. Maybe you should post some examples.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Airliners will need to start sucking these things in to their engines before us modelers will be affected.
Airliner engines are now designed to suck in baseball sized hale. A toy drone is only going to put a nick in a few blades. Much ado about nothing really.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Airliner engines are now designed to suck in baseball sized hale. A toy drone is only going to put a nick in a few blades. Much ado about nothing really.
Combines eat Quads, airplanes, and anything that driver misses too..

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-30-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:08 AM
bradpaul

I have never seen anyone in the Hobby Industry advertise Multi-Rotor aircraft for use over people and structures.........
From the DJI website: http://www.dji.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKl2dza16U#t=96 What is that they are doing around 1:55 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJcZfsVLAQ#t=128 Never did hear the instruction to not fly above people or structures!

BTW beautiful video
Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 AM
TimJ

These two are in controlled environments. Also, not pushed to the hobby industry.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:49 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bogbeagle

Anyway, it's another perfect illustration of the mindset "punish the people who didn't do it".
If one dropped on my lawn i would strip the motors and ESCs off of it and throw the rest in my metal scrap pile :-)
Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
To the non-r/c crowd, quadcopter = drone

I've flown a few foamies off of the golf course fairway beside my house for the last several years. Neighbors and golfers have seen me do it, some even stop and watch, ask a few questions, generally like it and think it looks fun (it is!).

Broke out my new DJI Phantom II a few months ago, immediately, "Cool, what kind of drone is that?" To a person, anyone seeing it calls it a 'drone.'

Again, to the non-r/c crowd, quadcopter = drone
Agreed.

Everyone who sees mine calls them Drones, I used to correct people at first and say it was a "multicopter" but I don't bother now..

Calling it anything other than a drone just confuses most people. In my experience the public have a very positive attitude and genuine interest.

I have been flying for several years at the same park with planes and Helis but the "Drones" get all the attention and generate the most questions. Even small kids know they are "drones"
Old 01-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by bradpaul
So the DJI solution is a software upgrade that only a tiny % of the owners will use? There are whole forums and threads dedicated to the DJI Flyaway problem.

This is the best explanation I have seen of why it happens. Bottom line the electronics are not reliable enough to fly over people and structures. the AMA FPV rules have it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ge3GuhEDRM
Some truth to that video, but Cell phones "guess" their position initially by reading which cell tower they are connected to and also known wifi networks if available.

The GPS system on a multicopter does not do this however the home position can be incorrectly stored (or corrupted) for a number of other reasons which leads to the same result.

Many reported "fly aways" are nothing more than the operator not understanding how the controls change if the GPS loses satellite lock. Depending on the mode the response to control stick inputs can change dramatically. If the GPS is intermittently losing and gaining lock, control will be very confusing.

Imagine trying to drive a car when the Accelerator, Brake and Clutch keep swapping their functions randomly. And turning the steering wheel left can randomly cause you to turn right.. That is what it feels like when flying a Multicopter in some modes with intermittent GPS.

An experienced operator will notice it right away and switch to Manual mode (bypassing GPS entirely) and flying back safely as you would with a plane or heli.

An inexperienced pilot will swear to you that the drone was not responding correctly to control inputs and I can confirm it seems that way if you don't understand what is actually occurring.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM
bradpaul

These two are in controlled environments. Also, not pushed to the hobby industry.
Sure...................... what a wonderful rationalization. Do you have a reasonable explanation why advertisements for "multi-rotor" (drones) do not contain wording to not fly over people or structures? Other then it would spoil the expectation of how the potential buyer would use it.

I am not anti FPV or multi-rotor as long as they are flown within the AMA guidelines. I do feel that the manufacturer/distributor/seller paradigm is to not discuss how to safely use the product.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure...................... what a wonderful rationalization. Do you have a reasonable explanation why advertisements for "multi-rotor" (drones) do not contain wording to not fly over people or structures? Other then it would spoil the expectation of how the potential buyer would use it.

I am not anti FPV or multi-rotor as long as they are flown within the AMA guidelines. I do feel that the manufacturer/distributor/seller paradigm is to not discuss how to safely use the product.
The same reason cigerete advertizing use to not tell you about it causing cancer :-) lol
Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
TimJ

I do feel that the manufacturer/distributor/seller paradigm is to not discuss how to safely use the product.
Within the hobby industry that is constantly discussed. Discussed within the AMA, and within manufactures and distributors.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM
HoundDog

Within the hobby industry that is constantly discussed. Discussed within the AMA, and within manufactures and distributors.
Grandma flys a drone
https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=sbc&.rand=0dac1qt9i3e0i#mail

To much money going into Quads to stop them now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJc...22579428#t=194

http://www.antonelli-law.com/Drone_UAS_Practice_Group.php?gclid=CjwKEAiA9KymBRD 6g6iOvv2joU0SJAB0vRQyzqVcf7uJVdzk04MMly3APBDkcYVF8 8FdJbwa_
UYi1RoCLqrw_wcB

https://www.aibotix.com/en/?gclid=Cj...U_IRoC_Obw_wcB

http://www.uav-rc.com/

ON and ON and ON

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-30-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our language is filled with mis used terms. Why should this issue be any different?

Rifle/gun
Motor/engine
Democracy/Constitutional republic

As a pro wood worker, specific terms to my industry are used wrong constantly. Can have profound negative quality effects. Not thinking anything will change soon.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:34 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by HoundDog
To much money going into Quads to stop them now.

ON and ON and ON
So all the old schools guy can give up and go back to chasing off the neighborhood kids from their lawns.........
Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by bogbeagle

yeah no kidding, specially being a government employee was flying the dang thing
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 PM
HoundDog

So all the old schools guy can give up and go back to chasing off the neighborhood kids from their lawns.........
Who ever stopped chasing the little crappers
Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by hounddog
who ever stopped chasing the little crappers
baaahahahah!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I guess I might be one of the few that would have had his soul rejuvenated by having Obama shoot the quad copter down with his shotgun..,,
Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by TimJ;11973233[COLOR=#ff0000
]baaahahahah![/COLOR]
Come on now get it right now, repeat after me BAH HUM BUG, Bah Hum Bug. Now U try it

Good very Good U do that quite well for a trainee O'l Timer.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:43 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I guess I might be one of the few that would have had his soul rejuvenated by having Obama shoot the quad copter down with his shotgun..,,
Never happen O'B don't like Guns ....
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 PM
BUDMAN27

Tinkerbell is a high tech red neck now. hell it wont be long be for they will teach her how to go get me a beer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.