Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drone" at the White House

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drone" at the White House

Old 02-01-2015, 05:41 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joebahl
Dont know why you keep saying its the older guys crashing .lol i have only crashed one in 30 years now . Missed judged the tree line and worst of all was comming around for a news paper photo shot when i sifted it through the trees . Anyways !there are plenty of young bucks who in there head think they can fly better than they really can and bury their planes hard trying to prove it .lol joe

Probably because it's the O'l gezzers at the field every day but there some younger guys that crash a lot. We call one of them Dollar Bill cause he buys 3 of each plane at a time ... says so every time he crashes. Saw him kill 5 in one weekend and these werent cheap planes. Come to think of it he has a company in Illinois too.
But I Under stand that Being from Illinois that most of U are fare superior to anyone from the other 49 states.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ath5774
What is evident here; the news media's ability to "program" prejudious by using inflammatory terminology. Each here vibrates their programmed prejudious as the news media "strums" the daily news events of the day. It's insanely effective!
You nailed it! It is also what people see in forums and on youtube. It is also the uneducated mob effect. People tend to loose their dentures when new stuff starts showing up that they don't understand or does not fit their prejudice of what a radio controlled aircraft should be ie; 3D, 3D foamies, Flat foamies, helicopters, F3J Hotliners........and so on.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Probably because it's the O'l gezzers at the field every day but there some younger guys that crash a lot. We call one of them Dollar Bill cause he buys 3 of each plane at a time ... says so every time he crashes. Saw him kill 5 in one weekend and these werent cheap planes. Come to think of it he has a company in Illinois too.
But I Under stand that Being from Illinois that most of U are fare superior to anyone from the other 49 states.
Ha Ha the young bucks i see at my two clubs fly a couple times and crash their plane or FPV cry a while at the field and then you never see them again. Us older guys just sit and watch allthe drama then go home.lol BTW i have worked in most of those states or road the bike through them. I dont buy my planes i build my own .Getting a little testy dog might need to seek a little help help ?

Last edited by joebahl; 02-02-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:46 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
You nailed it! It is also what people see in forums and on youtube. It is also the uneducated mob effect. People tend to loose their dentures when new stuff starts showing up that they don't understand or does not fit their prejudice of what a radio controlled aircraft should be ie; 3D, 3D foamies, Flat foamies, helicopters, F3J Hotliners........and so on.
All us old farts have talked about fpvs at our clubs and its not looking to good for them. Hope they get a field of their own some day like we did 40 years ago. lmao
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 AM
TimJ

I wonder how much the AMA would enjoy hearing that stance from your club?
Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM
HoundDog

We went to them 5 years ago all we got is make sure U document every thing U do as a club. If U don't some one (Most likely a club member) get's hurt and will SEW all the officers and anyone that has any money ... That was their answer to bad flyers. Today a new member was on one of the flight station 2 and one of our CRASHERS smaked the fence behind the Station. Anyway this new guy came Unglued and was ranting and raving about this Old Guy that crashes a lot.
But the other day When one of the In Crowd said something about this new guy's truck taking up 2 parking places ,,, He went bonkers and stated that he new a lot of people AMA head Quarters and could get the field closed down and if that didn't work he would to our land lord the Miacopa county park system to get us shut down.

Saturday he said he couldn't read the TFR for the supper bowl but was sure we shouldn't fly...

Just as a point of Interest Really means nothing with this forum but
Funny thing, for the full time of the TFR 3:25 pm to 23:59 Local there were 4 or 5 aircraft Maybe ( Military Drones) that kept kriss crossing the stadium area one at 1600' one at 2000' one at 3000' And one at 9000' The loser 3 were flying at around 91K the top one was doing 130 Kts

Old 02-02-2015, 06:39 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does not matter about the AMA. So long as you are within the safety code of your discipline. You could have a Control line club that does not allow R/C. The AMA would not care. Or, you could have an R/C field that does not allow Control line. We have not allowed FPV or autonomous for 2 years now, and the AMA has said nothing, and we retain our Leader gold status.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:19 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Does not matter about the AMA. So long as you are within the safety code of your discipline. You could have a Control line club that does not allow R/C. The AMA would not care. Or, you could have an R/C field that does not allow Control line. We have not allowed FPV or autonomous for 2 years now, and the AMA has said nothing, and we retain our Leader gold status.

Is that because All the In Crowd are old Farts or just cause U don't like'em and U run the place.
By driving FPV away U have just put another nail in the R/C Coffin... because now they will go out in the public with no scence of R/C rules and safe flying practices or
the safety code of your discipline.. But then I would guess That probably matter to U in the first place.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that because All the In Crowd are old Farts or just cause U don't like'em and U run the place.
By driving FPV away U have just put another nail in the R/C Coffin... because now they will go out in the public with no scence of R/C rules and safe flying practices or
the safety code of your discipline.. But then I would guess That probably matter to U in the first place.
I agree and also think the AMA needs to start to look at clubs that impose unnecessary rules on it's members.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
On target! And of course it should go without saying...but an AMA club could be just for multi-rotors and their pilots...
Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 AM
bradpaul

The R/C Coffin is already nailed shut........................ Any competent marketing officer at Horizon, Hobbyco, HobbyKing, etc. already recognizes that the traditional demographic for R/C is aging rapidly. Scratch building, kit bashing, nitro engines, scale warbirds are all on their last hurrah. To a 20 year old that grew up on video games, internet, wifi, smart phones, R/C is granddad "back in the day" old school.

A 20 year old was born in 1995, Vietnam is over 20 years in the past, WW2 50 years, WW1 80 years. Technology will trump building skill when time and money are in short supply.

Look, I love and build WW1 biplanes so I will resist to the end, but I'm 66 and while I don't like it, traditional R/C is going to follow the path of freeflight and control line................ too small of a market compared to FPV, drones to allow continued support by manufactures and vendors...............................

The clubs that bring FPV into the fold and help to instruct proper use and safe flying have a chance to survive, the ones the chase away FPV will IMHO die of old age.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
I agree and also think the AMA needs to start to look at clubs that impose unnecessary rules on it's members.

The AMA cannot tell you what to do on your property! It is not their place just as it is not the governments place to tell you what you should allow at your club.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by bradpaul
The R/C Coffin is already nailed shut........................ Any competent marketing officer at Horizon, Hobbyco, HobbyKing, etc. already recognizes that the traditional demographic for R/C is aging rapidly. Scratch building, kit bashing, nitro engines, scale warbirds are all on their last hurrah. To a 20 year old that grew up on video games, internet, wifi, smart phones, R/C is granddad "back in the day" old school.

A 20 year old was born in 1995, Vietnam is over 20 years in the past, WW2 50 years, WW1 80 years. Technology will trump building skill when time and money are in short supply.

Look, I love and build WW1 biplanes so I will resist to the end, but I'm 66 and while I don't like it, traditional R/C is going to follow the path of freeflight and control line................ too small of a market compared to FPV, drones to allow continued support by manufactures and vendors...............................

The clubs that bring FPV into the fold and help to instruct proper use and safe flying have a chance to survive, the ones the chase away FPV will IMHO die of old age.

GEES magin that ... Time Marches On with out us and the Older we get the Faster it seems ta go.
My favorite saying "Ain't gona care 100 years from now and Nobudy I know is gona care"
Old 02-03-2015, 08:53 AM
oliveDrab

Yes .... fare superior.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:13 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The AMA cannot tell you what to do on your property! It is not their place just as it is not the governments place to tell you what you should allow at your club.
Why does the AMA bother to have a safety code that expect all members and clubs to follow? As far as the government it is their place to deal with certain issues that may
come up at a club such as the club is allowing something unsafe to happen without intervention. The AMA certainly tells clubs to not let non AMA members fly at their sites
and all the clubs that I have been to most certainly follows that rule.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
TimJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz19DQ6-eGE

Drones threaten RC Model flying.

Last edited by TimJ; 02-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:54 PM
littlecrankshaf

AMA's response to Obama

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ot-regulation/
Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I guess I might be one of the few that would have had his soul rejuvenated by having Obama shoot the quad copter down with his shotgun..,,
That would be fun! Since he was in India at the time, what gun would he have to use?:-)

Gerry
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
TimJ

That was already posted here earlier.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM
ira d

I read the AMA's response and I agree with the points made in the response and I think it points out the need for the AMA to do what it can to
discourage clubs from disallowing certain types of craft and or types of flying unnecessarily.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM
littlecrankshaf

That was already posted here earlier.
Sorry but I haven't seen it in this thread before...
Old 02-03-2015, 09:11 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Sorry but I haven't seen it in this thread before...
Me either...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:09 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by srt10
Me either...

Who Cares Here it is again ...

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ot-regulation/
Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 AM
HoundDog

Last night Tuesday Feb 3 rd at the February of the Arizona Model Aviators monthly meeting our guest speaker was no other than Rich Hanson the AMA's Liaison to the FAA. Long story short He used to belong to the this club still has a home in Scottsdale and had a really well presented Power Point pretension on what has Happened between the AMA/FAA Pretty much since 2008 and before.Even though his Microsoft Lap top desided to Reboot and UPDATE it self Rich kept right on with out it till it decided to come back to life. There was a extensive question and answer session that followed his presentation... And U have the 3 types of members
1. The Board to death guys I don't even know why they attend the meeting except some are Club Officers.
2. The Long winded guy that keeps asking the same Question in differ-ant ways.
3. and the person that really seems interested enough to pay attention and if they do ask a question it's almost intelligent.
you could that MR Hanson has run in to all Types and very grayishly attempted/did answer the questions intelligently.

But here is an interesting and well thought and Presented truth about this Hobby/Sports Feature. Be painent It's not what U would expect from the title.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:09 AM
littlecrankshaf

But here is an interesting and well thought and Presented truth about this Hobby/Sports Feature. Be painent It's not what U would expect from the title.

Are balanced and realistic views even accepted anymore???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.