Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Educate, don't regulate, drone fliers

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Educate, don't regulate, drone fliers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 AM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educate, don't regulate, drone fliers

[h=2]White House incident demonstrates that a regulatory approach does not and will not work.[/h]

Following this week's incident at the White House, President Obama and others called for the FAA to put regulations in place for small unmanned aircraft, or "drones."

If the president is talking about establishing rules to enable commercial use of the technology, we agree these rules are long overdue. But if he or others are suggesting that the recreational community needs to be federally regulated, that's another story.
OUR VIEW: Drone age takes flight, and FAA's not ready
The fact is for the past six years, existing regulation has specifically prohibited the flying of unmanned aircraft anywhere near 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This recent incident clearly demonstrates that a regulatory approach to the recreational use of small unmanned aircraft does not and will not work.
Many well-meaning individuals acquiring this new technology simply don't know what airspace is restricted or prohibited, whether it's near the White House, around other federal buildings or even the upcoming Super Bowl. The best way to prevent drone incidents isn't to regulate recreational users; it's to educate them.
That's what the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) has been doing successfully for nearly 80 years. Representing more than 175,000 model aircraft enthusiasts across the country, we constantly provide and update best practices on how to safely operate unmanned aircraft.
More and more people are accessing this fun, educational technology. These newcomers want to fly safely but don't realize that just because you can easily acquire the technology, it doesn't mean you can fly it anywhere and for any purpose.
For this reason, we've been working with industry groups and the FAA to educate new fliers about the safe and responsible use of unmanned aircraft.
It's our goal to make common-sense guidelines more accessible to the legions of new fliers taking to the skies, ensuring safety for all aircraft — manned and unmanned.
Campaigns such as "Know Before You Fly" and AMA's long-standing community-based safety programs are the best, and perhaps the only, ways to effectively manage the recreational community.
Dave Mathewson is the executive director of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).

Source: USA Today
Old 01-29-2015, 12:25 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
White House incident demonstrates that a regulatory approach does not and will not work.

Following this week's incident at the White House, President Obama and others called for the FAA to put regulations in place for small unmanned aircraft, or "drones."

If the president is talking about establishing rules to enable commercial use of the technology, we agree these rules are long overdue. But if he or others are suggesting that the recreational community needs to be federally regulated, that's another story.
OUR VIEW: Drone age takes flight, and FAA's not ready
The fact is for the past six years, existing regulation has specifically prohibited the flying of unmanned aircraft anywhere near 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This recent incident clearly demonstrates that a regulatory approach to the recreational use of small unmanned aircraft does not and will not work.
Many well-meaning individuals acquiring this new technology simply don't know what airspace is restricted or prohibited, whether it's near the White House, around other federal buildings or even the upcoming Super Bowl. The best way to prevent drone incidents isn't to regulate recreational users; it's to educate them.
That's what the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) has been doing successfully for nearly 80 years. Representing more than 175,000 model aircraft enthusiasts across the country, we constantly provide and update best practices on how to safely operate unmanned aircraft.
More and more people are accessing this fun, educational technology. These newcomers want to fly safely but don't realize that just because you can easily acquire the technology, it doesn't mean you can fly it anywhere and for any purpose.
For this reason, we've been working with industry groups and the FAA to educate new fliers about the safe and responsible use of unmanned aircraft.
It's our goal to make common-sense guidelines more accessible to the legions of new fliers taking to the skies, ensuring safety for all aircraft — manned and unmanned.
Campaigns such as "Know Before You Fly" and AMA's long-standing community-based safety programs are the best, and perhaps the only, ways to effectively manage the recreational community.
Dave Mathewson is the executive director of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).

Source: USA Today
+1
Old 01-29-2015, 12:41 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is getting out of hand. One of our idiot Oklahoma State Senators has proposed a 'hold harmless' law for any Oklahoman who destroys (shoots down) a 'drone' so long as the drone is under 300 feet up and over your property. Doesn't seem to comprehend that you can't accurately measure 300 feet or further understand that the bullet(s) will land somewhere.

I fully endorse the concept of educate at the point of sale.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by flyingstill
What is the chance that multirotor flyers will get bored with the cool toy and be drawn to flying a model plane? Any instances of this happening in your club?
Yes.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:39 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the chance that multirotor flyers will get bored with the cool toy and be drawn to flying a model plane? Any instances of this happening in your club? If we could end up with more model flyers then this "drone" thing could bring something good.
I think it's the opposite....at least in my area. More experienced fliers are starting to tinker around with multi-rotors than the other way around.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

The novelty of anything that's new wears off after a while, for sure. The thing is the possibilities of usage/functionality is far more broad with multi-rotors than with heli's or scale aircraft. For the most part the guys I've seen are just more interested in seeing if they can master the flight aspects of the things, rather then testing the limits of range, acrobatic movement, taking pictures etc etc. It's all good as far as I can see, as long as they are enjoying themselves and operating safely.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:27 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A significant number of modelers are interested by anything new in the modeling field, but once the novelty of multi-rotors wears off I expect the experienced modeler will return to the roots of model aviation, that of replicating real aircraft.
While I agree that the novelty of flying the multi-rotors will eventually wear down, I also know that the effect of the many forthcoming govt regulations won't, and that's bad for all of us. Tim's right with #1 post - AMA has done a good job of educating people for decades. I just hope there's some way they can educate the govt too.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
While I agree that the novelty of flying the multi-rotors will eventually wear down, I also know that the effect of the many forthcoming govt regulations won't, and that's bad for all of us. Tim's right with #1 post - AMA has done a good job of educating people for decades. I just hope there's some way they can educate the govt too.
I think they are trying as hard as they can. They have modified their actions based on more current activities and rulings etc. See the more current AMA e-mail regarding this. Lot's of effort and money (well spent IMO) to get the word out there, and minimize adverse decisions for the hobby.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM
skylark-flier

Absolutely no doubt about that. We hear rumors of all kinds of nasty things that "might" happen but when rulings/actions DO come down they're actually quite decently thought out. I HAVE to think AMAs actions have a lot to do with that. While I don't think they're perfect (I'm certainly not) I back them entirely.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I think they are trying as hard as they can. They have modified their actions based on more current activities and rulings etc. See the more current AMA e-mail regarding this. Lot's of effort and money (well spent IMO) to get the word out there, and minimize adverse decisions for the hobby.
Well, fellows, if you are into the country of USA, you might find that these toy flying machines may well soon be obsolete. The "PLAN" of government is now to allow all banks, etc, to use the money of the depositors to handle all finance such as giant loans, etc. (It's worse than I say!) All items of finance will be BAIT for the big boys.
That includes cash, etc. etc. I am very concerned in that my various IRAs, ETC, are set up for and invested in loans, private, commercial and industry. Next day can be a wipe out and only billionaires will get richer on YOUR money.
The man behind this you know well and he is about to be allowed a 75 TRILLION $$$ of all monies that can be taken from the banking and commercial world. Uncle Sam does not have that much. "L", I can't count that much! Right now as far as I am concerned the drone stuff is my least worry. It may be yours if you are fairly well vested in the financial world. I'm A-OK in the real world, but not the one I see coming. Billion: 1,000,000,000 Trillion: A Thousand billions 1,000,000,000,000. 75 TRILLION ??
It's said THAT WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND! I don't think that includes my place in this world. YOURS ?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Kooky teabagger tinfoil hat conspiracy theory babble really has no place on a site like this, why not skip it for a change? Not everything has to be doom and gloom and have political overtones, does it? I'm sure there are tons of sites out there that would love to indulge you, why not go there? The OP was about Drones, and educating the public. How you managed to turn that around to "you know who" taking trillions and being worried about your IRA is a huge leap, and kinda off topic. If the drone topic is the least of your worries perhaps you should stay out of the discussions and start a thread on the topics that interest you.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:39 AM
skylark-flier

+1
Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Not everything has to be doom and gloom and have political overtones, does it?
Maybe not...even though a bit over expounded upon...I think his point is salient. Hobbyist FPVing should be of very little real concern to our lives... people, especially us within this great hobby are making waaayyyyy to much out of it....
Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Maybe not...even though a bit over expounded upon...I think his point is salient. Hobbyist FPVing should be of very little real concern to our lives... people, especially us within this great hobby are making waaayyyyy to much out of it....
obvious irrelevancy is obvious.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

obvious irrelevancy is obvious.
porcia83, sorry that you cannot follow the real relevancy in the real world now being netted over all of us. However my entries into aeromodeling are very much well ahead of your activities, yet both worlds, yours and mine, have their places in our universe. It is good that you are sincere in your world. I will remain so in my world.
It is very funny (and very scary) that Demos are after my assistance as much as the Repubs. Heck, Man, if the AMA membership had been the same in the recent election, I probably would be too busy worrying about "drones" to worry about the real world, you know, just like you! ENJOY!
Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM
TimJ

Everyone is over reacting to this stuff.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hossfly
porcia83, sorry that you cannot follow the real relevancy in the real world now being netted over all of us. However my entries into aeromodeling are very much well ahead of your activities, yet both worlds, yours and mine, have their places in our universe. It is good that you are sincere in your world. I will remain so in my world.
It is very funny (and very scary) that Demos are after my assistance as much as the Repubs. Heck, Man, if the AMA membership had been the same in the recent election, I probably would be too busy worrying about "drones" to worry about the real world, you know, just like you! ENJOY!
And yet another tangent....the AMA election. I'll bow out before that conspiracy talk gets going.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Everyone is over reacting to this stuff.
Fear mongering gets hits, and page views, and sells papers and stories. I agree overall though, not much is going to change for the hobby. It will continue to adapt and evolve, notwithstanding the gnashing of the teeth.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:42 PM
cj_rumley

A very well written article relating to current public attitude toward drones in the US seems on-topic here.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-st...931025739.html