Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How much damage?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: How much damage?
No damage
2.13%
Minor damage not causing a loss of power
9.57%
Major damage causing loss of power and/or possible engine shut down.
88.30%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

How much damage?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Of course not, but that is not the question in this threads poll, is it?
That's true and it is also true there was no mention in this thread of a C130 v RQ-7 drone or are you saying that because the C130 survived the RQ-7 that a DJI Phantom I would not cause any damage?

Frank
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Of course not, but that is not the question in this threads poll, is it?
No, not the question.
But a theory is pretty empty and worthless
without some practical test to prove or disprove.
So, Brad, would you be willing to test your theory
by doing as I suggested earlier?
And I don't mean at 30000 feet over
Edwards AFB, but rather at departure or approach
altitude over an area typical of
civilian airports.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:47 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by 804
No, not the question.
But a theory is pretty empty and worthless
without some practical test to prove or disprove.
So, Brad, would you be willing to test your theory
by doing as I suggested earlier?
And I don't mean at 30000 feet over
Edwards AFB, but rather at departure or approach
altitude over an area typical of
civilian airports.
804, you are correct, a conjecture is worthless without sufficient evidence to support it. That is why real scientists accept evolution as fact but laugh at or deride creationism. But, more to your point, FOD is such a concern to the aviation industry that there is even a website (http://www.fodnews.com/) devoted to understanding and preventing FOD damage. The maintainers and contributors to the website are convinced, based on evidence of similar sized objects, that drones present a real and deadly danger to aviation.

Therefore, I don't see our conjecture as worthless, but, instead, is a fact supported by evidence.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 AM
bradpaul

We of course since the suggestion is to test what idiots might do (fly a RC model into an airliner on approach) is to also test what damage a 60 sized conventional RC plane would do if ingested into a jet engine. Idiots are idiots no matter what they fly.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

But Brad, we are trying to make a case against the copters with four blades...Don't interject other copters with one, two or three blades and certainly not model airplanes with propellers. Dang, you are derailing the thread.

Now back to pitch forks and burning the quads at the stake like the good little modelers we are.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Actually, they test a military engines and airframes more extensively than a commercial due to the fact that they are subjected to higher airspeeds(in most cases), higher G and wing loads. Being a former "Prowler" com/nav/radar tech, I participated in several class C and D inspections. The flight hour interval requirements for these inspections was roughly four times more often as the FAA requires for a commercial jetliner.
As far as what can destroy a turbine engine, I saw a standard "BIC" stick pen destroy an engine in an F-14 Tomcat while that engine was running at idle. On the flip side, I watched a man sucked into the engine of a S-3 Viking, running at high RPM, up to his waist, (the rest was spit out the front) and the engine still ran. Needless to say, it was removed from the aircraft with the only damage being to the front fan due to the safety helmet we were required to wear on the flight deck and when off the ground/deck.
As I said not the same. Despite this, and is some cases because of this, they do not have the same bird strike capability.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:32 PM

We of course since the suggestion is to test what idiots might do (fly a RC model into an airliner on approach) is to also test what damage a 60 sized conventional RC plane would do if ingested into a jet engine. Idiots are idiots no matter what they fly.
Brad,
good non-answer to my question, (but it really does answer it).
Here is a similar one:
in regards to living a long life, would
you rather be shot with a .22 or a .44 Mag. ,
There is lots of theory on which is deadlier, and plenty of
people have survived both,
but no one I've ever heard of who would willingly take the test.
The only sane answer is to not be shot at all.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
But Brad, we are trying to make a case against the copters with four blades...Don't interject other copters with one, two or three blades and certainly not model airplanes with propellers. Dang, you are derailing the thread.

Now back to pitch forks and burning the quads at the stake like the good little modelers we are.
LCS,
there are plenty of my posts in this forum to show that
I am not making a case against multi-copters.
My comments in this thread have only to do with
whether one is at least as smart as an 8 year old,
or as numb as a crash test dummy.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 PM
F-16 viperman

I'd say all 3 answers are possible but with certainty, I can say the first tragedy will come from from an idiot or idiots that have no clue about the seriousness of life or death. It could be any one of these things we fly. I remember back in the eighties when a couple of newbie morons straight from hobby shop were flying their planes in long beach close to where goodyear landed and kept the blimp in carson CA. As the blimp flew by, They thought it would be fun to see how close they could get without hitting it. Well, They got too close and hit it! They went to jail! You can educate the ignorant, But You can't fix stupid!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by 804
LCS,
there are plenty of my posts in this forum to show that
I am not making a case against multi-copters.
My comments in this thread have only to do with
whether one is at least as smart as an 8 year old,
or as numb as a crash test dummy.
my stupid comment was just tongue in cheek sarcasm...never thought it would rile you though...LOL
Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 PM

my stupid comment was just tongue in cheek sarcasm...never thought it would rile you though...LOL
I'll get over it. I'm blaming my short fuse on spending the last two nights doing taxes and thinking how many rc toys I could buy with the checks I have to write to uncle.
Grrrr...
Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by 804
I'll get over it. I'm blaming my short fuse on spending the last two nights doing taxes and thinking how many rc toys I could buy with the checks I have to write to uncle.
Grrrr...
Hmmm...maybe I got your mind off one our biggest disasters for just a little while...
Old 04-18-2015, 04:29 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is 804 complaining about supporting those Future Felon Factory Baby Machines..?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
I remember back in the eighties when a couple of newbie morons straight from hobby shop were flying their planes in long beach close to where goodyear landed and kept the blimp in carson CA. As the blimp flew by, They thought it would be fun to see how close they could get without hitting it. Well, They got too close and hit it! They went to jail! You can educate the ignorant, But You can't fix stupid!
If my memory serves me correct, the PIC not only knew about AMA but was an AMA member...further, may have been the only AMA member to have his membership revoked...If correct, there goes the "do not even know about AMA" theory as some BS qualifier.... Have at it...
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM
cj_rumley

If my memory serves me correct, the PIC not only knew about AMA but was an AMA member...further, may have been the only AMA member to have his membership revoked...If correct, there goes the "do not even know about AMA" theory as some BS qualifier.... Have at it...
Don't let truth get in the way of a good noob bashing.