Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are there any Nationwide CBO's other then the AMA?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are there any Nationwide CBO's other then the AMA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, as CL Rumley has pointed out there are no FAA rules regulations at this time other then AC 91-57 for "recreational" model aviation controlling models/pilots that DO NOT MEET the terms of Sec. 336.

The fall back which applies to ANY AND ALL "model aviation" is endanger the NAS and the FAA can take action.

The recently issued FAA NRPM only addressed models that meet Sec.336 and "commercial" use........ non Sec. 336 "recreational" flying was not addressed.

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-02-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
What rules need take effect? Its already public Law:
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

Frank

As I understand it the new rules are not effect yet but have to go through public comment and be finalized. Also there will another path to compliance because there
will be many UAS that weigh over 55lb although not necessarily for hobby use.

Last edited by ira d; 03-02-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by ira d
If you are on private property with permission and a incident should happen and you have the means to settle up with those involved I don't see what other consequence would
be involved, There is no law that requires you to have a waiver to fly a turbine. As for being over 55lb's I believe that will be in violation of the FAA when the new rules take effect.
Section 336 is actual law now, so flying a plane over 55 pounds without a waiver from a CBO is not permitted as a hobby use.

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design,construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by acommunity-based organization;
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Silent-AV8R

As I understand it the new rules are not effect yet but have to go through public comment and be finalized. Also there will another path to compliance because there
will be many UAS that weigh over 55lb although not necessarily for hobby use.
Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 is in fact active law now. No further action is required on the part of any agency or otherwise to make it so. All FAA did in the NPRM was to say that they were going to recognize it as such as part of Part 101.41. But it became law the day it was signed by the President.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 is in fact active law now. No further action is required on the part of any agency or otherwise to make it so. All FAA did in the NPRM was to say that they were going to recognize it as such as part of Part 101.41. But it became law the day it was signed by the President.
I will agree you may be right but I don't think we will see any enforcement for the time being and I would not be surprised to see changes to the rules before we see enforcement.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM
phlpsfrnk

As I have stated numerous time, this is crystal clear, the safety program is provided to the members of the CBO, not the general public. The benefits of the organization are for its members, not the general public. Therefore to be within the programming one must be a member.

But as I have also written, until Congress calls each and every doubter and tells them each individually that they must be a member people will continue to say it is not required. Congress is NOT requiring you join the AMA per se. What they are requiring is that you be a member of the membership based organization whose safety program you have chosen to operate under.
You certainly like cherry picking your quotes. The committee report discussed some changing of the language and what must and will be in the final version of the public law. Here is the section you refer to in total:

Conference Report (H. Rpt. 112-381)
SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT

H--/S607(g)

House bill
No similar provision.
Senate bill
Section 607(g) exempts most model airplanes used for recreational or academic use from any UAS regulations established by the FAA.
Conference Substitute Senate bill with modifications. Language including model aircraft for the purposes of sports, competitions and academic purposes is removed and replaced with ``hobby''. The modified section includes language requiring that the model aircraft must be operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way, to all manned aircraft. In addition, language that requires that model aircraft flown within five miles of an airport will give prior notification to the airport and the air traffic control (ATC), and that model aircraft that are flown consistently within five miles of the ATC will do so under standing agreements with the airports and ATC. Lastly, language is added that will ensure that nothing in this provision will interfere with the Administrator's authority to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system. In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions, government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members.

What you keep quoting is what the committee used "In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean" nothing more. Nowhere in the final public law does it say must be a member of a CBO. That said if I apply the duck test to the AMA I could make the argument that the AMA is a CBO and one must be a member for sanctioned competitions and waivers but it is not a requirement to legally fly aero models under public law 336.

Frank
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 AM
ira d

Frank what is your take on the part in the rule that states that a model over 55 lb's must be certified and inspected by a CBO?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:35 AM
phlpsfrnk

Frank what is your take on the part in the rule that states that a model over 55 lb's must be certified and inspected by a CBO?
On this I have to agree with silent. It was passed by Congress (PL 336) and signed by the President. Its the law.

Frank
Old 03-02-2015, 11:52 AM
bradpaul

Section 336 is actual law now, so flying a plane over 55 pounds without a waiver from a CBO is not permitted as a hobby use.
NO, NO, NO please understand Sec.336 it does nothing more then exempt from further rules and regulations, "model aircraft" that meet the provisions of Sec.336 There is nothing in Sec. 336 that says a non commercial flyer cannot fly a model aircraft over 55 lbs.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree. From the Committee Report

and

As I have stated numerous time, this is crystal clear, the safety program is provided to the members of the CBO, not the general public. The benefits of the organization are for its members, not the general public. Therefore to be within the programming one must be a member.

But as I have also written, until Congress calls each and every doubter and tells them each individually that they must be a member people will continue to say it is not required. Congress is NOT requiring you join the AMA per se. What they are requiring is that you be a member of the membership based organization whose safety program you have chosen to operate under.
The CBO only has authority to apply it's safety rules to CBO members ... What the LAW really says is that all others that profess to follow these rules will "NOT" get a visit from the "Jack Booted FAA and their Black Helicopters. Un less they do something to endanger the NAS just as any CBO member, No Matter where, will be disciplined under the FAR's if they violate the NAS> the only exception will be when someone attempts to do anything for compensation or Hire with out the proper credentials and certificates and ratings, ... that's another Ball Game all together not even up for discussion here.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:39 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
On this I have to agree with silent. It was passed by Congress (PL 336) and signed by the President. Its the law.

Frank
Yes the way that parts reads it does seem that congress is forcing anyone who wants to fly a model over 55 lb's to be a AMA member, Somehow I don't think they really
understood what they were doing when they wrote it though. The good point in all this is most modelers fly craft that are under that limit and I do think before it's all
said and done we will see a change in that rule.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Silent-AV8R

I will agree you may be right but I don't think we will see any enforcement for the time being and I would not be surprised to see changes to the rules before we see enforcement.
In order for P.L. 112-95 Section 336 to be changed would require Congress amending the section (or the entire Act) and then getting it signed again by the President. There is nothing pending with regard to Section 336. It IS the law right now. FAA has issued their interpretation, and that will be sussed out thanks to the AMA's lawsuit against the FAA. But that does not affect the law itself. I do agree that until the lawsuit is settled I doubt we will see any kind of enforcement against modelers if for no other reason than 99% of us are not going to cause an issue in the first place.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by bradpaul
NO, NO, NO please understand Sec.336 it does nothing more then exempt from further rules and regulations, "model aircraft" that meet the provisions of Sec.336 There is nothing in Sec. 336 that says a non commercial flyer cannot fly a model aircraft over 55 lbs.
Well, it certainly seems that this paragraph from Section 336 contradicts your understanding:

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design,construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by acommunity-based organization;
That is if they want to operate under Section 336. If not, then AC 91-57 would apply right now.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM
bradpaul

That is if they want to operate under Section 336. If not, then AC 91-57 would apply right now.
Bingo give the man a cigar.

Tell me how is that different then:

Now here is the thing some do not want flyers to understand ....................... As AC 91-57 is a "recomendation", and the NRPM is a long way from going into effect, a "model aircraft" pilot has fewer restrictions by not complying with Sec. 336.. As long as you DO NOT ENDANGER THE NAS you are completely free to fly without a CBO.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM
ira d

Now here is the thing some do not want flyers to understand ....................... As AC 91-57 is a "recomendation", and the NRPM is a long way from going into effect, a "model aircraft" pilot has fewer restrictions by not complying with Sec. 336.. As long as you DO NOT ENDANGER THE NAS you are completely free to fly without a CBO.

But how do you get around not having a CBO if you want fly a model heaver than 55 lb's?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM
bradpaul

But how do you get around not having a CBO if you want fly a model heaver than 55 lb's?
just don't fly claiming to comply with Sec.336
Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 PM
HoundDog

This is a truism, for now sure hope it stays almost unchanged and no member of the (Proposed/existing) CBO does something, "STUPID" to in danger the NAS and make it bad for all of us, by association.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:41 PM
cj_rumley

If you are not a CBO "follower," i.e., not looking for exemption from regulation by conforming to 336, then AC 91-57 applies. AC 91-57 does not specify a weight limit. Same goes for operating a turbojet powered model - it is not outside of the authorization to fly per AC 91-57, whether or not it has been waivered by AMA. Just because somebody makes noise about 336 and its conditions being the law (which is true) doesn't mean it applies to everyone. By 'everyone' in this context I mean inclusive of the large majority of modelers that are not AMA members or any other group that may call themselves a CBO. Simply put, you get around CBO rules by not joining a CBO.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 PM
ira d

just don't fly claiming to comply with Sec.336

I hope you are right and IMO we should not have the FAA telling us we need to belong to the AMA to do anything.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
If you are not a CBO "follower," i.e., not looking for exemption from regulation by conforming to 336, then AC 91-57 applies. AC 91-57 does not specify a weight limit. Same goes for operating a turbojet powered model - it is not outside of the authorization to fly per AC 91-57, whether or not it has been waivered by AMA. Just because somebody makes noise about 336 and its conditions being the law (which is true) doesn't mean it applies to everyone. By 'everyone' in this context I mean inclusive of the large majority of modelers that are not AMA members or any other group that may call themselves a CBO. Simply put, you get around CBO rules by not joining a CBO.
I'm inclined to agree with you, the problem as I see it is in the rule that the FAA put out it states if you want to fly a model over 55 lb's it must be certified and inspected by the AMA. So that
wording sounds as the FAA will see it as illegal for anyone to AMA member or not to fly a model over 55lb' without a AMA inspection.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=cj_rumley;11994283]If you are not a CBO "follower," i.e., not looking for exemption from regulation by conforming to 336, then AC 91-57 applies. AC 91-57 does not specify a weight limit. Same goes for operating a turbojet powered model - it is not outside of the authorization to fly per AC 91-57, whether or not it has been waivered by AMA. Just because somebody makes noise about 336 and its conditions being the law (which is true) doesn't mean it applies to everyone. By 'everyone' in this context I mean inclusive of the large majority of modelers that are not AMA members or any other group that may call themselves a CBO. Simply put, you get around CBO rules by not joining a CBO. [QUOTE]

But if U do not follow the rules of a CBO U will be subject to stricter rules governing the NAS ....
The whole thing breaks down to "Don't acquire the "Rath of the Jack Booted FAA and U will be OK". For now.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:03 PM
bradpaul

But if U do not follow the rules of a CBO U will be subject to stricter rules governing the NAS ....
The whole thing breaks down to "Don't acquire the "Rath of the Jack Booted FAA and U will be OK". For now.
If and when in about 5 to 10 years the FAA goes through the NPRM process to publish proposed rules, public comment, etc.............................
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
cj_rumley

I'm inclined to agree with you, the problem as I see it is in the rule that the FAA put out it states if you want to fly a model over 55 lb's it must be certified and inspected by the AMA. So that
wording sounds as the FAA will see it as illegal for anyone to AMA member or not to fly a model over 55lb' without a AMA inspection.
In a previous post I noted that the listed rules you refer to are not rules per se, but rather conditions that apply if one chooses to align with a CBO to be exempt from future FAA rulemaking. It will help if if you are skeptical of that statement and go back to 336 and verify (or diss) what I said based on what you read there, ira.
Basically, most things stay the same as before 336. If you belong to AMA to because you have to in order to gain access to a flying site, you will have to comply with the rules stated in 336. If you are not an AMA member you are not subject to AMA rules, just as before. The only of substance in 336 is the opening it gave FAA to get some enforcement authority. That has been lacking and made it awkward to go after clowns like Pirker and others that have posted video evidence of their recklessness online. That to me is the saving grace of 336,as it is beneficial to all responsible modelers. Maybe not what AMA planned, but perhaps a karma sort of thing.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 03-02-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:17 PM
HoundDog

[B][FONT=comic sans ms]

If and when in about 5 to 10 years the FAA goes through the NPRM process to publish proposed rules, public comment, etc.............................

"Zactily"
it all depends on the FAA getting their Ducks in a Row .... Been only 8 to 10 years so far.
If Quads had not become prevalent nothing would be happening YET JMHO!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:50 PM
ira d

[QUOTE=HoundDog;11994295]
Originally Posted by cj_rumley
If you are not a CBO "follower," i.e., not looking for exemption from regulation by conforming to 336, then AC 91-57 applies. AC 91-57 does not specify a weight limit. Same goes for operating a turbojet powered model - it is not outside of the authorization to fly per AC 91-57, whether or not it has been waivered by AMA. Just because somebody makes noise about 336 and its conditions being the law (which is true) doesn't mean it applies to everyone. By 'everyone' in this context I mean inclusive of the large majority of modelers that are not AMA members or any other group that may call themselves a CBO. Simply put, you get around CBO rules by not joining a CBO. [QUOTE]

In the usa unless you own or have access to land to fly on it's almost impossible to fly RC without being a AMA member so it want be as simple as you say. anyway the good thing is
as has already been said it will probably 5-10 before all this gets sorted out and we see enforcement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.