Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are there any Nationwide CBO's other then the AMA?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are there any Nationwide CBO's other then the AMA?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Where did congress explicitly say that? It is not in the law, so where is it?
Come on now, Its clear as day despite all the distraction, smoke and mirrors...Don't blink...the magician rarely does the trick twice.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Come on now, Its clear as day despite all the distraction, smoke and mirrors...Don't blink...the magician rarely does the trick twice.
Oh! I see, it's between the lines. In other words, you only think the said it and that's enough for you.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM
littlecrankshaf

Oh! I see, it's between the lines. In other words, you only think the said it and that's enough for you.
LOL...I'll wager 10 years will pass and SA will mine more convoluted text, post in here once again to support his argument... There will be a host of guys supporting or believing his position... as everyone needs something bigger to be apart off to validate themselves...Some have football, some political party or some other thing...depending on their self induced programming....modelers have AMA.

As time goes forward more and more people will look to AMA or some other org to guide them.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Silent-AV8R

Where did congress explicitly say that? It is not in the law, so where is it?
http://fas.org/sgp/news/2012/02/faa-uas.html

Scroll down to near the end. Third section from the end. It is in the Congressional record what the definition of a CBO is with regard to Section 336. I've posted the wording several times. The usual suspects refuse to believe what is clearly defined in the Conference Committee report. Oh well.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Silent-AV8R

Yes, "between the lines". No surprise that LCS and others would try to deny reality by pretending that quoting the Congressional Record is reading between the lines.

http://www.gpo.gov/help/about_congressional_reports.htm

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 02-26-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:05 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I keep going back to the Conference Committee notes on Section 336:
In this section the term ``nationwide community-based organization'' is intended to mean a membership based association that represents the aeromodeling community within the United States; provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground; develops and maintains mutually supportive programming with educational institutions, government entities and other aviation associations; and acts as a liaison with government agencies as an advocate for its members
Pretty clear to me. Especially this line:
provides its members a comprehensive set of safety guidelines that underscores safe aeromodeling operations within the National Airspace System and the protection and safety of the general public on the ground;
This makes it clear that the Safety Program is intended for use by the members of the CBO. It does not say that the CBO provides the public with a set of safety guidelines. It says members. More than once.

And I am still mystified why somebody would feel fine about using the Safety Program and benefitting from the efforts of a CBO without wanting to be a member of that CBO and to support it.
Silent,
cj_rumley makes a good point and it is relevant. Nothing in the AMA’s mission statement specifies membership in the AMA’s version of a CBO and the safety guidelines and programing are a matter of public record; http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

Whether an RC modeler should be a member of the AMA is irrelevant to this discussion. While I will agree that the wording strongly encourages membership in a CBO it falls far short of a mandate.

If I own property far from any airports and chose to fly 50 lb. model airplanes for recreation with a few friends, where does it say I must be a member of a CBO?

As long as we operate in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft in the NAS what FAA inspector is going to say we can’t?

Neither congress nor the FAA is mandating that an individual must belong to an organization to be able to fly a model airplane, at least not yet.

Frank
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, "between the lines". No surprise that LCS and others would try to deny reality by pretending that quoting the Congressional Record is reading between the lines.

http://www.gpo.gov/help/about_congressional_reports.htm
Every one of the other provisions of 336, avoiding aircraft, notifying an airport, etc., is written in pretty plain and concise language and is easy for the average person to understand.
Not so the "...and within the programming of..." jazz.
No doubt AMA wanted the wording to read more like "...and membership in the AMA is required...",
but IMO, whoever wrote the actual wording knew that Congress could not absolutely require such a thing.

Silent, can you name any other hobby, pursuit, pass-time, or even profession in which the law
requires paid membership in a CBO, interest group, trade association, etc.?
Maybe there are examples, I just don't know of any.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk

Neither congress nor the FAA is mandating that an individual must belong to an organization to be able to fly a model airplane, at least not yet.

Frank
What really blows my mind is that anyone would even entertain such a notion, much less be an advocate for such an un-American way...
Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 AM
phlpsfrnk

What really blows my mind is that anyone would even entertain such a notion, much less be an advocate for such an un-American way...
Once again we are in 100% agreement.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:34 AM
bradpaul

Let's be very clear................... PL 112-95 Sec 336 provides an exemption from further FAA regulation. IT DOES NOT ESTABLISH A REQUIREMENT TO BE A MEMBER OF A CBO TO FLY A MODEL AIRPLANE.

IMHO and considering the way bureaucrats interpret things to their advanatge "within the programming of" will be interpreted by any CBO that meets the requirements to require membership. Does that keep you from flying your model aircraft if you are not a member of the CBO? NO, does however make you subject to possible further FAA regulations.

CBO member (under Sec 336) or non CBO member (not under Sec 336) you are still subject to FAA action foe endangering the NAS.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Silent-AV8R

Silent,
cj_rumley makes a good point and it is relevant. Nothing in the AMA’s mission statement specifies membership in the AMA’s version of a CBO and the safety guidelines and programing are a matter of public record; http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx
OK, then I guess what Congress wrote in the Conference Committee report has no meaning then. Thanks for clearing that up. So your position (and that of LCS and others) is that what AMA wrote in their Mission Statement over rides the intent of Congress. Good to know.

But the good news is now that all of you who are so unhappy with the AMA are free to go forth and fly with nary a thought to the AMA. The irony is that it is thanks to the very organization that so many here find fault with on a regular basis. There's a word for that..... hypocrite.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:17 AM
littlecrankshaf

The irony is that it is thanks to the very organization that so many here find fault with on a regular basis. There's a word for that..... hypocrite.
You'll find that arrow in the woods somewhere...what's so dang funny, the thanks you now say is due AMA is exactly 180 from your contention earlier....there's another word...confused...sounds like you intend to redefine the meaning of "is" LOL
Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM
JohnShe

OK, then I guess what Congress wrote in the Conference Committee report has no meaning then. Thanks for clearing that up. So your position (and that of LCS and others) is that what AMA wrote in their Mission Statement over rides the intent of Congress. Good to know.

But the good news is now that all of you who are so unhappy with the AMA are free to go forth and fly with nary a thought to the AMA. The irony is that it is thanks to the very organization that so many here find fault with on a regular basis. There's a word for that..... hypocrite.
OK, one more time. I have read and reread the law, the interpretation of the law and the conference report. I absolutely do not see any specific words that require membership in the AMA. Now, I suppose that might seem unfair to AMA members who have, through their dues and other actions, supported the AMA efforts to produce a set of safety guidelines and lobbied congress to inset section 336 into the law. But, I personally, as a dues paying AMA member, consider it a fair price to pay for the protection from FAA regulations that we have gained.

I will further admit that the term, "within the programming" is difficult to comprehend. But, there are no FAA or AMA jack booted stormtroopers. Nobody will descend on you in black helicopters with the intent of confiscating your equipment and brutally punishing you for simply not flying within the programming of a CBO (whatever it means).

In order to have fun and avoid trouble with the law or the jack booted storm troopers we need to stay under the RADAR. This is so simple that I do not understand why anyone is having difficulty. Here are the rules.

1. Never fly anywhere without permission
2 . Never endanger the public by flying over them or to close.
3. Never endanger private property by flying over it or too close.
4. Never endanger the NAS by flying too close to full scale aircraft.

I don't see what is so hard about that.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Silent-AV8R

So it appears that until the until the law is amended to read as follows there is little reason to continue this discussion:

"LCS, JohnShe, bradpaul, CJ_Rumley, et. al. the AMA is a recognized CBO and you MUST belong to a CBO in order to operate within its programming."

I understand now. I'll stop beating my head against the wall for now.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM
littlecrankshaf

So it appears that until the until the law is amended to read as follows there is little reason to continue this discussion:

"LCS, JohnShe, bradpaul, CJ_Rumley, et. al. the AMA is a recognized CBO and you MUST belong to a CBO in order to operate within its programming."

I needed that laugh...Thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

To answer the original question, we in R/C did have the Sport Flyers Association, but AMA put them out of business many years ago.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 AM
JohnShe

I am confused by the statement in quotes. I have said repeatedly that there is no requirement to join the AMA or any other CBO. Recreational model aviators are only required to follow the safety guidelines of a CBO. I do admit that the term "within the programming" is unclear, but I don't see it as a problem, because it would be unenforceable no matter how it is interpreted.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Well we know the position of R Hansen of the AMA, and it does not surprise me that the FAA unofficially has a different opinion. But (and this is important to consider) the wording of "within the programming" is Public Law and not a FAA creation. They of course can "interpret" the Public Law but in the end it would as you point out, require a court to decide.

The interesting case would be if the FAA took enforcement action against a modeler that was not an AMA member and the modeler tries to use the Public Law as a defense. That would set a precedent for the membership question.
Originally Posted by cj_rumley
It would be interesting, but I don't expect to see it happen anytime soon. The only part of Sect 336 (PL) they will be enforcing is "(b) Statutory Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system." Any such enforcement action they take will stick regardless of compliance with anything else in the section, so it will carry little weight if an offending modeler tries to use the (CBO related parts of) the PL. I really doubt that FAA gives a tinker's dam about the CBO, so defining what it is, which also would define what is not a CBO, is just non-relevant. They are not going to waste limited resources on enforcement of the CBO provisions in the PL, though they will as ordered by Congress dutifully see to it's codification in FAR.

If "within the programming" is going to get a hearing, it won't be FAA holding the door to courthouse open.

cj
Good points. Only the Courts can interpret law, based on what I read in the US Constitution. Anyone can have an opinion, but the matter will never be settled without a precedent from a Court, or a new FAA regulation that states the matter more clearly.

Internationally the FAI publishes aeromodeling aviation sporting safety guidelines and the AMA is a member of that organization. Nationally the AMA is a member of the NAA which is the governing body for aero sports in the USA. The NAA defers to the AMA in regards to aeromodeling sporting guidlines.

At one time there was an organization known as the Sport Fliers Association (SFA) which had aeromodeling aviation safety guidelines however that organization never got off the ground so to speak and there are many threads that already discuss that.

By the definition of a CBO I could make an argument that most not for profit clubs that follow the AMA safety guidelines and publish their own local safety guidelines and provide instruction/education to its local members can also be defined as a CBO.

Frank
As other have said, local clubs cannot be defined as a CBO under the FAA's guidelines, since their reach is not nationwide.

There are a handful of organizations that have recently formed to cater to the UAV/Multirotor community, though I think they are generally focused on the commercial sector, rather than the modeling community. This would probably preclude them from being defined as an aeromodelling CBO, under the FAA's guidelines.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:06 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Until something changes in the rules regarding RC flying that would clearly show a great benefit to being a AMA member IMO it really does not matter one way or the other.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:42 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
Until something changes in the rules regarding RC flying that would clearly show a great benefit to being a AMA member IMO it really does not matter one way or the other.
That may be true. I am primarily an AMA member because I need access to a club flying field. The insurance is nice and the congressional lobbying is a bonus.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:00 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That may be true. I am primarily an AMA member because I need access to a club flying field. The insurance is nice and the congressional lobbying is a bonus.

John I agree with your statement, I don't have anything against the AMA and I am a member but as for legal reasons right now there is nothing pressing for
someone to join the AMA unless the FAA comes out with a two tier approach with rules for RC operations ie different rules for members and non members.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

I am confused by the statement in quotes. I have said repeatedly that there is no requirement to join the AMA or any other CBO. Recreational model aviators are only required to follow the safety guidelines of a CBO. I do admit that the term "within the programming" is unclear, but I don't see it as a problem, because it would be unenforceable no matter how it is interpreted.
Exactly. I am saying that the only way some (many) of you would accept what the Conference Committee intended and the way the law is worded is if it very explicitly mentioned you by name and spelled it out in simplistic and unequivocal terms.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM
bradpaul

"within the programming of a nationwide Community Based Organization" is unclear?, really?.................. not if you understand the English language.

"within" (inside something) "the programming" (rules regulations, safety code) "of a nationwide Community Based Organization " (the only one at this time is the AMA).

If the CBO requires membership to be "
"within the programming of a nationwide Community Based Organization" and you opt out then you are not exempt from additional FAA rules and regulations.

quite clear.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

"within the programming of a nationwide Community Based Organization" is unclear?, really?.................. not if you understand the English language.

"within" (inside something) "the programming" (rules regulations, safety code) "of a nationwide Community Based Organization " (the only one at this time is the AMA).

"within the programming of a nationwide Community Based Organization" and you opt out then you are not exempt from additional FAA rules and regulations.

quite clear.
You're saying the Fed is delegating authority to a non-governmental
entity-a CBO- to require membership in that CBO to comply with a federal
law.
I still would like to know if this is has been done before.
Anybody?
Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM
JohnShe

quite clear.
It is unenforceable as you interpret it. A government agency cannot force anyone to join a private club. And, besides, the FAA has made it clear, rather frequently, that it is only the safety guidelines that they are interested in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.