Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ama should have left faa alone!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama should have left faa alone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m;120188
As for accident reporting, don't let your imagination get out of hand. I'm talking a simple members only website reporting system, where the club safety officer regularly reports simple data. Number of fliers over a period of time, approximate number of flights by aircraft size and power type,[FONT=comic sans ms
and number of crashes by size and power type.[/FONT] Any injuries would also be recorded. All it would require is members to keep track of their flights in a simple log and either enter that info themselves or pass to a club safety officer to do. Even all the data required in a log for full scale flights requires SECONDS to record. Are you really saying that's too difficult? When the data collected could help AMA prove we're as safe as we say we are? Really?

Frank: " "and number of crashes by size and power type".

Funny U should bring this Up a few years ago I printed a Google map (Earth View) and made a simple matrix with No. Date Pilot I then Estamated )or used GPS location to determianwhere a plane crashed. I'd put an "X" on the map with the corrisponding Number. We had 50 Crashes thet I knew of, from 15 April to 10 Oct.
The criteria for getting o the map if U will was it was totaled not repaable. 19 of those 50 crashes were right on the field. Well That winter I started the same type of record here in AJ at the Arizona Model aviators Park.. Well I had 6 or 7 crashes logged in 4 days. I posted this Log on the field Bullitian Board Went to log a couple more a day or 2 later and Guess What ... I found the Log in the Trash Can ... They didn't want to know, Much less have some record of crashes. Go Figure.

Spelly is still KPUT's
Old 04-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Never said it didn't. Some said that there's "yet to be any significant damage," which, as we can see from the photos, is patently untrue.
That is not an sUAV! I meant a small sUAV the size of our model aircraft. That was much much larger and certainly not a good comparison with model airplanes. The military have many hand launched drones and someone said they just bounce off the aircraft.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 04-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

plane still landed Is the ruptured Fuel Tank did not catch fire or exploed.
Fuel cells never explode and rarely catch fire. You can put a match to jet fuel and it will not ignite. It has to contact red hot exhaust and a spark, or be extremely mixed and thrashed around such as in a crash.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Frank: " "and number of crashes by size and power type".

Funny U should bring this Up a few years ago I printed a Google map (Earth View) and made a simple matrix with No. Date Pilot I then Estamated )or used GPS location to determianwhere a plane crashed. I'd put an "X" on the map with the corrisponding Number. We had 50 Crashes thet I knew of, from 15 April to 10 Oct.
The criteria for getting o the map if U will was it was totaled not repaable. 19 of those 50 crashes were right on the field. Well That winter I started the same type of record here in AJ at the Arizona Model aviators Park.. Well I had 6 or 7 crashes logged in 4 days. I posted this Log on the field Bullitian Board Went to log a couple more a day or 2 later and Guess What ... I found the Log in the Trash Can ... They didn't want to know, Much less have some record of crashes. Go Figure.

Spelly is still KPUT's

LOL did it have the same fonts, spelling, and punctuation we see here? Go figure!
Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 AM
HoundDog

plane still landed Is the ruptured Fuel Tank did not catch fire or exploed.

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot;12019336[COLOR=#ff0000
]Fuel cells never explode and rarely catch fire.[/COLOR] You can put a match to jet fuel and it will not ignite. It has to contact red hot exhaust and a spark, or be extremely mixed and thrashed around such as in a crash.
]Fuel cells never explode and rarely catch fire NOT TRUE Just Google it.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Fuel cells never explode and rarely catch fire. You can put a match to jet fuel and it will not ignite. It has to contact red hot exhaust and a spark, or be extremely mixed and thrashed around such as in a crash.
Says someone I'll wager has never experienced a JP-5 fuel fed fire.

While at sea on 18 April, however, Marathon suffered a fuel leak and fire in the turbine spaces that burned into the crew spaces

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Marathon_(PGM-89)

You just keep putting matches in fuel, please.

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 04-09-2015 at 06:57 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

I KNEW this would happen. Why? Because there are plenty of examples of fire occurring, but then nobody reports when the tank ruptures or engine explodes but there is no fire. But if you are going to give me an example please be current as nobody uses JP-5 which was watered down kerosene. I believe JP-8 is the norm which is Diesel fuel with additives and no dye. I have seen the tests and it takes a violent fire or agitation to start a fire. The point is that a mid air from a model airplane is not likely to start a fire on a full scale aircraft. Nor do much else either.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 AM
cj_rumley

That is not an sUAV! I meant a small sUAV the size of our model aircraft. That was much much larger and certainly not a good comparison with model airplanes. The military have many hand launched drones and someone said they just bounce off the aircraft.
I'm saving this post so I can cite an expert when I need to.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 AM
bradpaul

I wonder what damage a Phantom I drone at 1200g and a 350 mm wingspan would have done to that wing of the C-130?

BTW as the RQ-7 has a 20' wingspan why did the props not have damage?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM
DGM

If you guys hate the AMA so much why don't you start your own organization. OH that's right.. it would require you to actually do something other than sit back and complain.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I'm here for you cj.

You may be unaware of this, but in the recent FAA authorization legislation,
congress called out for the development of a new coating to protect aircraft from errant drones.
DOD and, I believe, the USAF, came up with something called, "Drone Repelling Instantly Vulcanized Elastomeric Latex"
I think he is talking about DRIVEL.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
I am only saying someone said this, I have not stated this as fact.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by DGM
If you guys hate the AMA so much why don't you start your own organization. OH that's right.. it would require you to actually do something other than sit back and complain.
Not sure how you interpret and find all that 'hate' you mention but wouldn't be the first time someone played the "hate AMA" card successfully in here... You might get that to stick as well...but I'm not buying.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 AM
HoundDog

I KNEW this would happen. Why? Because there are plenty of examples of fire occurring, but then nobody reports when the tank ruptures or engine explodes but there is no fire. But if you are going to give me an example please be current as nobody uses JP-5 which was watered down kerosene. I believe JP-8 is the norm which is Diesel fuel with additives and no dye. I have seen the tests and it takes a violent fire or agitation to start a fire. The point is that a mid air from a model airplane is not likely to start a fire on a full scale aircraft. Nor do much else either.
When I was in the USAF I ounce ran out of lighter fluid for my Zippo so I filled it with JP4 from the fule dump at the end of an engine run on a Hound Dog Missle ...Well I went through 3 or 4 flints before I burned all the JP4 out of the Zippo ...When I did get it to light there was a big Yellow flame and a lot of black smoke.. Looked like an F-4 Phantom in AB.. blackened the cigarette too.

... > World-wide Civil Jet Fuel Grades

http://www.shell.com/global/products...xtwithimage_19

[h=1]https://www.shell.com/global/product...el-grades.html

Military Jet Fuel Grades and Specifications (NATO) - Shell Global[/h]

You are here:
... > Military Jet Fuel Grades

[h=1]Military Jet Fuel Grades and Specifications (NATO)[/h]Shell provides fuels for military use

[h=3]JP-4[/h]

JP-4 used to be the primary jet fuel for the USAF but was phased out in the 1990s because of safety problems. A few airforces around the world still use it but there is very little production.
JP-4 is the military equivalent of Jet B with the addition of corrosion inhibitor and anti-icing additives; it meets the requirements of the U.S. Military Specification MIL-PRF-5624S Grade JP-4. The UK Military specification for this grade is DEF STAN 91-88 AVTAG/FSII (formerly DERD 2454),where FSII stands for Fuel Systems Icing Inhibitor. NATO Code F-40.

[h=3]JP-8[/h]

JP-8 is the military equivalent of Jet A-1 with the addition of corrosion inhibitor and anti-icing additives; it meets the requirements of the U.S. Military Specification MIL-T-83188D. It is the dominant military jet fuel grade for NATO airforces. The UK also have a specification for this grade namely DEF STAN 91-87 AVTUR/FSII (formerly DERD 2453). NATO Code F-34.
To read more about the fuel, download its MSDS now.

[h=3]JP-5[/h]

JP-5 is a high flash point kerosine meeting the requirements of the U.S. Military Specification MIL-PRF-5624S Grade JP-5. The UK Military specification for this grade is DEF STAN 91-86 AVCAT/FSII (formerly DERD 2452). This is primarily jet fuel for use in aircraft carriers. NATO Code F-44.

[h=2]Page Tools[/h]

Old 04-10-2015, 08:03 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by bradpaul
I wonder what damage a Phantom I drone at 1200g and a 350 mm wingspan would have done to that wing of the C-130?

BTW as the RQ-7 has a 20' wingspan why did the props not have damage?
When the "sUAS RQ-7 PILOT" saw the 400 MPH C-130 chasing him down he went Knife edge & pulled left (Port for Frankie) and dive to keep from getting run over at his cruise speed of 84 mph. About a logical as all these STUPID Forums on RCU with all of us same TROLLS preaching to the Chuior or just argueing to see hems self in PRINT .....
Man that's gona bring the "RATH" of the small groups of posters here. No U's all has a nice day. I's off ta tka Big Bird Flyin fer the next 3 days thar boys.

Damrn spller ckkr stils broked srry
Old 04-10-2015, 04:47 PM
HoundDog

Every AMA member should of gotten this Notic from the AMA Read it Watch it And Comment on the NPRM before April 24th. It's Vital to our hoby with what the FAA wants and will do if we don't make objection to it ... For those that belive the NPRM as written and feature FAR's it will make DO NOT only pertain to Comerical Use of sUAS and TOY MODEL AIR PLANES. It (if inacted as written into FAR's it will out lay any thing over 55 lbs any thing over 87 MPH Max altitude 500' ext.

Please read and watch the video and then comment to the FAA before ther take yout TOY airplanes away or make tham Useless and worthless, if they can. Government will take anything U don't veitmently protect.

U should of recieved this today but check It out Here.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe561...0575741372&r=0

[TABLE="class: yiv8177313427, width: 450"]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5, colspan: 8"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"][/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000000"]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-10-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:09 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I looked at the comments on the NPRM. I'm seeing that the majority of people commenting unfavorably to the AMA, models, and drones. Better to leave things unsaid. Adding more comments will only cause the FAA to heighten restrictions that already exist. Be careful what you wish for!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:25 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I looked at the comments on the NPRM. I'm seeing that the majority of people commenting unfavorably to the AMA, models, and drones. Better to leave things unsaid. Adding more comments will only cause the FAA to heighten restrictions that already exist. Be careful what you wish for!
Mr. NSRR:
Would U please Post the URL where u found "the comments on the NPRM" Thanks.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:22 PM
NorfolkSouthern

See if this works:

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2015-0150-0017
Old 04-11-2015, 05:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

I looked at about 10 and all of them were copies of the AMA version. Some added additional items but I suspect that will not be noticed. Propose that we DO comment and refer to the AMA version but then add our own opinions. I don't see how not commenting will help in any way.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:25 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by HoundDog
When I was in the USAF I ounce ran out of lighter fluid for my Zippo so I filled it with JP4

Thank you HoundDog,
When I was in the military I fought a fuel fed shipboard fire for 28 tense minutes. My point was that only ignorant people with a cavalier attitude for safety that have never experienced what those fuels are capable of talk about putting matches out in them.

Frank
Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Thank you HoundDog,
When I was in the military I fought a fuel fed shipboard fire for 28 tense minutes. My point was that only ignorant people with a cavalier attitude for safety that have never experienced what those fuels are capable of talk about putting matches out in them.

Frank
I was not advocating putting a match to the fuel. But JP5 has a flash point of 140 degrees, so unless the fuel temp is raised to 140 degrees F, or violently agitated (such as in a crash), a match or even a spark will not ignite the fuel. For JP 8 the flash point is just over 100 degrees F. Even kerosene will not ignite with a match at room temp, but I think the flash point is lower at 90 or so.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
TimJ

Even kerosene will not ignite with a match at room temp, but I think the flash point is lower at 90 or so.
hmmmm Thats odd. I just ignited my Kerosene camping stove with a match.....very odd. So you may want to explain that a little better...... Think about liquid vs vapor, maybe that will help you out.......
Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM
BobbyMcGee

Yeah ... I wished for world peace. Now look what happened!

I'm sorry ...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

hmmmm Thats odd. I just ignited my Kerosene camping stove with a match.....very odd
It will ignite from a wick which increases the evaporation, now put a small amount of kerosene in a bottle cap or similar small container and try to ignite it. Even heavy oil will ignite with the right wick.

Here is an explanation of how high flash point liquids can be ignited with wicks, sprays, and other means.

http://firepedia.com/the-truth-about-flash-point/

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 04-13-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.