Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ama should have left faa alone!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama should have left faa alone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It will ignite from a wick which increases the evaporation, now put a small amount of kerosene in a bottle cap or similar small container and try to ignite it. Even heavy oil will ignite with the right wick.

Here is an explanation of how high flash point liquids can be ignited with wicks, sprays, and other means.

http://firepedia.com/the-truth-about-flash-point/
I don't need to read some obscure website to know that flammable liquids are guess what? Flammable!
There are even elements in H[SUB]2[/SUB]O that are flammable, remember the Hindenburg?. My point was DON'T PLAY WITH MATCHES.

Frank

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the name of this Forum anyway?... It sure ain't nutt'n bouts no AMA's lett'n no Fed Revnure's at's the FAA to thre owns devices, Or sumptin liks thatts no hows.

OOPS spll'n gismos ckkr thing stil outs ta lunch.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't need to read some obscure website to know that flammable liquids are guess what? Flammable!
Well guess what jet fuel is not classified as flammable. Make a point to read. And your point is pointless because nobody advocated playing with matches.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:36 AM
TimJ

It will ignite from a wick which increases the evaporation, now put a small amount of kerosene in a bottle cap or similar small container and try to ignite it. Even heavy oil will ignite with the right wick.

Here is an explanation of how high flash point liquids can be ignited with wicks, sprays, and other means.

http://firepedia.com/the-truth-about-flash-point/
Okay, I'm not going to go tell someone to play with matches. LOL too funny.

But here is the deal, you CAN light kerosene with a match at room temperature. It just takes time. Why do I say it takes time? Because Kerosene does not release vapor until it has reached 110 degrees. Much like gasoline, Kerosene liquid will not ignite rather it is the vapor that will ignite. Gasoline starts to release vapor at round -40 degrees. Kerosene does not release vapor until about 110 degrees. Thats the difference and variables......... So when you tell someone you CAN'T ignite Kerosene with a match, it's best to give the variables....

Last edited by TimJ; 04-14-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Sport_Pilot

I never said to play with a match. I said to test this. I am sure you are capable of lighting your grill, so you should be able to do such a test safely.

But here is the deal, you CAN light kerosene with a match at room temperature. It just takes time.
That is not the point, besides the match would burn out first. I have done such tests and yes if you use a blow torch it will ignite after it heats the fuel up. Often it will go out after you take the torch right off, not right away but after a while.

So when you tell someone you CAN'T ignite Kerosene with a match, it's best to give the variables....
Did you read the link? It was discussing this very issue!
Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I think airplanes should not be made from aluminum either as that stuff can really burn...concrete would be a much better choice...perfectly safe but won't fly... you can't have everything.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:24 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Originally Posted by TimJ

But here is the deal, you CAN light kerosene with a match at room temperature. It just takes time. Why do I say it takes time? Because Kerosene does not release vapor until it has reached 110 degrees. Much like gasoline, Kerosene liquid will not ignite rather it is the vapor that will ignite. Gasoline starts to release vapor at round -40 degrees. Kerosene does not release vapor until about 110 degrees. Thats the difference and variables......... So when you tell someone you CAN'T ignite Kerosene with a match, it's best to give the variables....
Unless your using a BIC lighter, in the snow and your Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2 ... LOL.....
Old 04-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ramboamt
Unless your using a BIC lighter, in the snow and your Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2 ... LOL.....
That fuel might have been warm, not yet cooled by the snow, and a lot of fuel may vaporized from agitation. LOL its make believe anyway.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

That fuel might have been warm, not yet cooled by the snow, and a lot of fuel may vaporized from agitation. LOL its make believe anyway.
Bruce Willis sucks...Chuck Norris would only have to flip a cigarette butt into the fuel and it would blow up...of course Christie Brinkley would only have to walk by, as she is so hot.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:08 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Chuck Norris would only have to flip a cigarette butt into the fuel and it would blow up....
It wouldn't even need to be lit.

Last edited by TimJ; 04-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Sport_Pilot

Lit?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM
TimJ

Got'a love voice recognition...
Old 05-02-2015, 12:02 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

nothing like off topic and no moderation !!!!! ***(reak)