Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Reply

Old 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM
  #376  
Tom Nied
 
Tom Nied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I'm sure the highly paid "bean counters" have calculated the amount of attrition that will occur and came up with the $75 figure not to mention getting our dues 2 years early. I really hate it. How come the members (us) don't get to vote on this?

Last edited by Tom Nied; 07-01-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added content
Tom Nied is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:12 PM
  #377  
oneaew@msn.com
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: hemet , CA
Posts: 1,158
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

i paid for the 2 yrs then ill fly where ever i can there are lots of places just as good as my club field
oneaew@msn.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:02 PM
  #378  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
I'm sure the highly paid "bean counters" have calculated the amount of attrition that will occur and came up with the $75 figure not to mention getting our dues 2 years early. I really hate it. How come the members (us) don't get to vote on this?
You know the answer to that one already, who is going to vote to have dues go up?

Don't know if they have actuaries on staff, but I think you're right, someone has probably already done a cost/benefit analysis somewhere down the line.

Back to the voting issue, as noted above I don't think the average person would vote for any increase in dues to a club, or in this case even a simple majority. And I also don't think members need to vote on issues even such as this, and in this day and age I can only wonder how many people would actually take the time and effort to actually do it. Then how is it tracked, calculated, etc etc. Given the prior comments in the thread, I'm sure that won't be a popular sentiment (they work for us, etc etc). I view it similar to politics, I voted for what I thought was the right person, and hope they see my way and the best way for the hobby. If not, then I don't vote for them again, or I get involved on my own and see what I can do. How many people do you think really want to be a DVP, or even higher positions in the AMA? If they start opening the door to voting for this issue or that, I see that going down a real slippery slope. Who then gets to decide the next issue that's voted on, and so on? The other way to vote of course is with the checkbook, just don't join. If the drop a significant amount of members, perhaps they will revisit what has happened. Time will tell I guess.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:06 PM
  #379  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,494
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
My financial state hasn't improved. I'm not seeing any benefit being a member. Maybe I'll give up model airplane building all together.
Go on welfare Illinois has some of the best. Everything paid by the feds and the state. Free Everything if U don't want tot work.
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
  #380  
Tom Nied
 
Tom Nied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Exactly correct. It just irritates me that it is going up 29%! It sucks. C'mon, 10%, maybe. I agree, take the 2 year option, then from then on sell out and take up stamp collecting. If anybody is wondering why there isn't an interest from new guys joining, it's that why would you shell out 75 bucks to a hobby governing body just to have a card? I don't need a model aviation museum. I don't need a national contest (most members don't participate). The magazine? It's nice, but there are other RC magazines if I really need one. Insurance? When was the last time you planted a Magnum XLS in somebodies forehead? Can you tell I'm having a hard time with the dues increase?
Tom Nied is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:19 PM
  #381  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,533
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Oh please. I spend more than that on fuel. Nobody chooses this hobby because it's cheap, and nobody chooses not to do it because it's expensive. Many, especially those who complain, don't realize just how helpful the AMA has been to aeromodeling over the years. If government advocacy is the future of the AMA, it will probably become much like the NRA for shooters. Most guns would have been outlawed decades ago were it not for them, and chances are aeromodelers will see significant regulations on our hobby without a competent advocate working for our interests too.
jester_s1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
  #382  
Tom Nied
 
Tom Nied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

OK Mr. Money Baggs, glad it has no influence on you.
Tom Nied is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 PM
  #383  
Jason Gross
Member
 
Jason Gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kingman AZ
Posts: 33
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Where are all the new multi rotor pilots at? This discussion is in the AMA forum so they should be able to find it easy enough if they cared. I would think that they would be here giving their input since a big portion of this thread has dealt with the pros and cons of using everyone's AMA dues to fight the Feds on issues that were largely non-existent prior to the advent of affordable mulit rotor platforms. I'm not saying that we shouldn't include them, or that we should write them off as a viable segment of the hobby but their absence here seems to indicate (at least to me) their attitude towards joining in with the rest of us. I'm not talking about guys who fly other stuff and then went out and bought a multi, I'm talking about all the people you see plunkn' down money at the hobby shops for one that you can "fly" with your cell phone or that have big cameras and auto return-to-home capabilities but don't fly anything else. Those are the kind of people that should be lining up to join the AMA and the local clubs in order to get help since they are new but they're not. The technology in the new multi rotors is itself the problem. In the past there was such a learning curve that even with help it still required an investment of time, ego, and practice to say nothing of the money in order to learn to fly which served to weed most of the morons out of the hobby. Now, anyone who can fog a mirror can be out there helter skelter just as soon as they can get the batteries charged. I don't want to sound so negative, I hope we can ALL grow and learn together but we have to survive first so that's one reason I'll keep my AMA membership, at least they're trying to do SOMETHING even if it might not be exactly what I'd do.
Jason Gross is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:01 PM
  #384  
Tom Nied
 
Tom Nied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Jason, in many ways I agree with you. It's just unfair that the guys who are just going out and plunking down the money for a quad without any intention of joining the AMA and I have to endure a dues increase because of what those jerks can do. Another agitation I have, if I want the digital and the magazine, it's an extra charge. Really? It's really costing the AMA more to allow all members access? Or does the AMA need just another way to charge for something? Give me a break. Not all modelers have high incomes. You're right, maybe I shouldn't be doing this hobby that I've loved for the last 47 years.
Tom Nied is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 PM
  #385  
Jason Gross
Member
 
Jason Gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kingman AZ
Posts: 33
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Tom, I'm sorry if you thought that I was trying to belittle anyone about their financial situation, that is NOT my intent and I apologize if I came across that way! I am lucky to have a big enough chunk of disposable income that the increase in dues will not impact my enjoyment of the hobby in any real way but I realize and appreciate that my situation is mine alone and does not negate any hardship that someone else might have. I don't like the fact that I have to help fight the fight for people who either don't know or don't care about how their actions are impacting us in the modeling community but even though I don't like it I don't know that else I can do as an individual that will make any more difference than just keeping on keeping on. I can go either way on the mag. I feel that basically all the mags are nothing but reviews for hire and I rarely buy them but I do take my issues of MA and leave them places in the hopes of enticing people to get involved with the hobby.
Jason Gross is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:18 AM
  #386  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,494
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
Exactly correct. It just irritates me that it is going up 29%! It sucks. C'mon, 10%, maybe. I agree, take the 2 year option, then from then on sell out and take up stamp collecting. If anybody is wondering why there isn't an interest from new guys joining, it's that why would you shell out 75 bucks to a hobby governing body just to have a card? I don't need a model aviation museum. I don't need a national contest (most members don't participate). The magazine? It's nice, but there are other RC magazines if I really need one. Insurance? When was the last time you planted a Magnum XLS in somebodies forehead? Can you tell I'm having a hard time with the dues increase?
Tom Nied;

No budy's twisting your arm If U can't afford the hobby then quit.
Don't tell us U can't afford an extra 4.6 cents per day?
Why are most R/Cers so Dam Cheep? Makes no seance most want every thing for nothing.
Guess that's why Hobby King is so successful.
OH well guess I'll go scour the internet for some Cheep Lipos.
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:27 AM
  #387  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
Jason, in many ways I agree with you. It's just unfair that the guys who are just going out and plunking down the money for a quad without any intention of joining the AMA and I have to endure a dues increase because of what those jerks can do. Another agitation I have, if I want the digital and the magazine, it's an extra charge. Really? It's really costing the AMA more to allow all members access? Or does the AMA need just another way to charge for something? Give me a break. Not all modelers have high incomes. You're right, maybe I shouldn't be doing this hobby that I've loved for the last 47 years.
If the hobby and the AMA cause that much grief and annoyance to you, perhaps it is time to pack it in. It will be that much less you have to worry about. it doesn't sound like anything the have to offer has value to you. You noted earlier you are a builder, so you can always use that skill to earn some money and pay for the 29% increase (by the way when was the last time the dues had been raised?). You can also become a CD and have your dues decreased that way.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 AM
  #388  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,494
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Jason Gross View Post
Where are all the new multi rotor pilots at? This discussion is in the AMA forum so they should be able to find it easy enough if they cared. I would think that they would be here giving their input since a big portion of this thread has dealt with the pros and cons of using everyone's AMA dues to fight the Feds on issues that were largely non-existent prior to the advent of affordable mulit rotor platforms. I'm not saying that we shouldn't include them, or that we should write them off as a viable segment of the hobby but their absence here seems to indicate (at least to me) their attitude towards joining in with the rest of us. I'm not talking about guys who fly other stuff and then went out and bought a multi, I'm talking about all the people you see plunkn' down money at the hobby shops for one that you can "fly" with your cell phone or that have big cameras and auto return-to-home capabilities but don't fly anything else. Those are the kind of people that should be lining up to join the AMA and the local clubs in order to get help since they are new but they're not. The technology in the new multi rotors is itself the problem. In the past there was such a learning curve that even with help it still required an investment of time, ego, and practice to say nothing of the money in order to learn to fly which served to weed most of the morons out of the hobby. Now, anyone who can fog a mirror can be out there helter skelter just as soon as they can get the batteries charged. I don't want to sound so negative, I hope we can ALL grow and learn together but we have to survive first so that's one reason I'll keep my AMA membership, at least they're trying to do SOMETHING even if it might not be exactly what I'd do.
Jason: do we really want these MORONS invading our lives & clogging up our air space. Yesterday one of our club members Who knows and complies with all the rules, came out with his DJI Inspire 1 ($3400) Quad and proceeded to try to take video of planes in flight. One of our better pilots apparently tried to oblige but couldn't get over the thing just sitting there 200' above the far edge of the field. Just afraid of mid airing the thing I guess. Oh well guess it just another Fad, we can only hope.
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:53 AM
  #389  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,186
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Mark (D8) and I exchanged emails than he called me. Unfortunately I'm on vacation and was visiting with my son and 2 adorable (but noisy) grand kids when he called. He understood my concerns but mentioned that he along with or council members do not hear from the members on their concerns. When I return home were setting up a meeting with him to discuss this in more depth. If you all do not contact your reps with the AMA and voice your concerns than just what do you expect them to do?

Mike
rcmiket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 AM
  #390  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Mark (D8) and I exchanged emails than he called me. Unfortunately I'm on vacation and was visiting with my son and 2 adorable (but noisy) grand kids when he called. He understood my concerns but mentioned that he along with or council members do not hear from the members on their concerns. When I return home were setting up a meeting with him to discuss this in more depth. If you all do not contact your reps with the AMA and voice your concerns than just what do you expect them to do?

Mike
+1.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:29 AM
  #391  
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tomball, TX
Posts: 1,394
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I haven't read the entire thread but just in case you didn't know the dues for seniors has already increased from $48.00 to $65.00 a year.
tommy s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:35 AM
  #392  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,126
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Jason Gross View Post
Where are all the new multi rotor pilots at? This discussion is in the AMA forum so they should be able to find it easy enough if they cared. I would think that they would be here giving their input since a big portion of this thread has dealt with the pros and cons of using everyone's AMA dues to fight the Feds on issues that were largely non-existent prior to the advent of affordable mulit rotor platforms. I'm not saying that we shouldn't include them, or that we should write them off as a viable segment of the hobby but their absence here seems to indicate (at least to me) their attitude towards joining in with the rest of us. I'm not talking about guys who fly other stuff and then went out and bought a multi, I'm talking about all the people you see plunkn' down money at the hobby shops for one that you can "fly" with your cell phone or that have big cameras and auto return-to-home capabilities but don't fly anything else. Those are the kind of people that should be lining up to join the AMA and the local clubs in order to get help since they are new but they're not. The technology in the new multi rotors is itself the problem. In the past there was such a learning curve that even with help it still required an investment of time, ego, and practice to say nothing of the money in order to learn to fly which served to weed most of the morons out of the hobby. Now, anyone who can fog a mirror can be out there helter skelter just as soon as they can get the batteries charged. I don't want to sound so negative, I hope we can ALL grow and learn together but we have to survive first so that's one reason I'll keep my AMA membership, at least they're trying to do SOMETHING even if it might not be exactly what I'd do.
Well Said !

I have made these same kinds of statements in other threads and been chastised by other folks , as you have by Tom here , but hey , if everybody agreed about everything there wouldn't be 3000 flavors of ice cream to choose from , now would there ?

When the excrement REALLY hits the rotary impeller , save some of the above and put in in your campaign speech , you just may have a future as AMA president !

Last edited by init4fun; 07-02-2015 at 05:37 AM.
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:45 AM
  #393  
rcmiket
 
rcmiket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,186
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tommy s View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but just in case you didn't know the dues for seniors has already increased from $48.00 to $65.00 a year.
True but you can renew thru 9-15 for 2 years at the old rate.

Mike
rcmiket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 AM
  #394  
oneaew@msn.com
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: hemet , CA
Posts: 1,158
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

ssome people on this web site schould have to live like the old people due and some people here have a big mouth
oneaew@msn.com is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 AM
  #395  
Tom Nied
 
Tom Nied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 2,125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I think it's just friendly discussion about a subject that effects us all. The real mistake we are making is, we are not out at the field.
Tom Nied is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 AM
  #396  
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)
 
HoundDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Apache Junction AZ. WI 0WI8
Posts: 4,494
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Tom Nied View Post
I think it's just friendly discussion about a subject that effects us all. The real mistake we are making is, we are not out at the field.
Yes I was but it was 56 degrees and windy ...
Besides I have to fix this F'en Putter or I can't read all this crap and get frustrated.
Another Besides If U can't afford another 4.6 cents a day U R in the wrong hobby.
Go buy a sail boat, a Lawn chair, & a 6 pac. Now when U sober up go, find your boat.

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-02-2015 at 06:34 AM.
HoundDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 AM
  #397  
airega1
My Feedback: (204)
 
airega1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 1,150
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Yes I was but it was 56 degrees and windy ...
Besides I have to fix this F'en Putter or I can't read all this crap and get frustrated.
Another Besides If U can't afford another 4.6 cents a day U R in the wrong hobby.
Go buy a sail boat, a Lawn chair, & a 6 pac. Now when U sober up go, find your boat.
Hound dog is an arrogant putz
airega1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 PM
  #398  
mr_matt
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (10)
 
mr_matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Oak Park, CA,
Posts: 10,233
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by rcmiket View Post
Mark (D8) and I exchanged emails than he called me. Unfortunately I'm on vacation and was visiting with my son and 2 adorable (but noisy) grand kids when he called. He understood my concerns but mentioned that he along with or council members do not hear from the members on their concerns. When I return home were setting up a meeting with him to discuss this in more depth. If you all do not contact your reps with the AMA and voice your concerns than just what do you expect them to do?

Mike
Hi Mike,

From what I hear from AMA HQ, this is a very slight majority that supports these massive (blank check) drone outlays. I don't think it will take much more to get this nonsense reigned back in.

I mean to go from trumpeting this FAA MOU to getting blindsided a month later by that same FAA?(and deciding to SUE the federal government) ? They are out of their depth and just wasting money. Good intentions not withstanding, they can do their lobbying with 1/10 or 1/100th of the money and get the same results.

And the timing of this dues increase sits right on top of this "government relations" money pit. I think we can get this changed.

I have been to Muncie twice for important EC votes in the past and change can be accomplished!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMAFAAMOU2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2106929  
mr_matt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 PM
  #399  
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 7,269
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by mr_matt View Post
Hi Mike,

From what I hear from AMA HQ, this is a very slight majority that supports these massive (blank check) drone outlays. I don't think it will take much more to get this nonsense reigned back in.

I mean to go from trumpeting this FAA MOU to getting blindsided a month later by that same FAA?(and deciding to SUE the federal government) ? They are out of their depth and just wasting money. Good intentions not withstanding, they can do their lobbying with 1/10 or 1/100th of the money and get the same results.

And the timing of this dues increase sits right on top of this "government relations" money pit. I think we can get this changed.

I have been to Muncie twice for important EC votes in the past and change can be accomplished!

Please...provide a reference (evidence) to this "massive blank check drone outlay". Perhaps your connected to sources at AMA HQ that others are not. Would love to see where this massive blank check outlay is happening.
porcia83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:34 PM
  #400  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,126
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by airega1 View Post
Hound dog is an arrogant putz
No , Hound is not an arrogant putz , he's actually a good guy who doesn't come across well in his posts sometimes . If you read past the misspellings and the occasional failed attempts at sarcasm (along with the use of outrageous fonts and colors) , you'll see that he's just another decent sort of grown man who likes to play with toy airplanes along with the rest of us .

PS , on subject , I just renewed for two more years to lock in the current membership rate . Did it on line , took less than 2 minutes , and if I'm still kicking in two years well I guess the dues increase will end up getting paid too .....
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service