Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yes, but its been years since we've had an increase, so I'm betting if you take what incremental inflation adjusted increases would have cost us over the years, we'd be paying more, but it would be more tolerable because it would be a "smaller increase"
Sure would feel better to see it rise a few bucks a year rather than a big chunk at once, but still an overall reasonable amount.

One could always become a CD and get a discount that way.

BradPaul had a comment earlier in the thread that made some sense. It related to the ad revenue from the magazine. I would agree, take another look at those rates. Don't know that it makes sense to hit just the big guys (Tower, HH, Hobby King etc). but chances are they can work that into their budgets better than the little mom and pop Interestingly enough, ad revenue increased by about $136,000 from 2012 to 2013. Wonder if that trend continued in 2014.

The other comment pertained to insurance. Looks like insurance costs actually went down from 318,000 in 2012 to 304,000 in 2013. Shopping for good rates is something everyone should do...often!

Another trend, membership was up, and revenue from senior dues membership went up $120,000. Wonder if more seniors joined, or went into senior status and the offset from those dues came from new membership. Dunno...I suck at balance sheets!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83

One could always become a CD and get a discount that way.
Don't let them think you get a discount just for being a CD....
Old 06-05-2015, 02:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Don't let them think you get a discount just for being a CD....

O/K I won't...but they might read that in the CD documents and get confused.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Duncman

I guess "littlecrankshaf" has it all figured out. I say we raise his dues to $13,125,000 a year and the rest of us go pack sand and play riff raff.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

porcia83, yes I have seen them more than once at the high end restaurants. Secondly, we are an organization of Traditional Model aviation, RC, Control line, Free flight etc. We are not an suas organization and heaven help us if we were to be swept into the rules and regulations that control the suas market. Our AMA funds should, in no way, be spent on marketing and education of markets beyond our traditional market. And yes, if the AMA council thinks we should spend money outside of the traditional model aviation field, the membership should be polled. And also, I have expressed these ideas to my Regional AMA VP.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:49 PM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

So, did not AMA spend some millions not long ago on a new building? We paid for that. How many claims have been paid by AMA insurance and for how much? If dues were raised to $60-70, just how many people would be forced to quit? If there were no AMA and after no telling how many lawsuits for damages/injury, then folks would realize that they need to get the hobby insured themselves. Most people don't understand that AMA is secondary coverage anyway. In comparison, dues from 1990 to present have gone up how much? What does that few bucks break down to each year? Then compare that to increases in everything else that goes up how many times that each year. Or gas that goes up and down all the time. Here in Houston, gas has gone up about fifty cents in just the last few months. That pinches millions a lot more severely than a couple of bucks a year by AMA. I'll pay it. One last thing, since AMA is honestly just an insurance premium that we are paying for, why don't the fields that have the AMA requirement just drop that. This would bring more people to a field, and if there is a club involved, surely more members. That club can still apply safety rules and programs while everyone can look out for each other. just say'n…………..
YO RAYBORN………..WANNA MAIDEN MY NEW DIAMOND?
Old 06-06-2015, 02:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Well CD's do get 1/2 price dues. If you only run one informal swap meet or something a year, probably a pretty good deal.

Organize a decent size event or two a year, you're doing it because you love it not for saving a few bucks on your AMA dues.

Why not drop the AMA requirement from existing fields? Because in a world where you can successfully sue someone because their hot coffee is too hot when you dump it on your own nuts, liability is the name of the game. How many of those fields would be lost if the clubs and members couldn't prove they have liability insurance for something that is potentially a lot more dangerous than drinking even fresh hot coffee?

Sure, everyone could go get their own insurance, but then whatever poor schlep that ends up responsible for checking insurance is buried in paperwork where now you just have to show a club officer a universally recognized card that when current proves you have 2 million in liability insurance. That's not even getting into the percentage of people that would Photoshop their own insurance documents and leave the club, property owner, municipality, and knowing personal injury lawyers maybe the Pope out to dry to get sued if there's a mishap and they have fake insurance papers.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:32 AM
rcmiket

What is the AMA?

World's largest model aviation association, representing a membership of more than 175,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group.

Self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

Organization open to anyone interested in model aviation.

Official national body for model aviation in the United States. AMA sanctions more than 2,000 model competitions throughout the country each year, and certifies official model flying records on a national and international level.

Organizer of the annual National Aeromodeling Championships, the world's largest model airplane competition.

Chartering organization for more than 2,500 model airplane clubs across the country. AMA offers its chartered clubs official contest sanction, insurance, and assistance in getting and keeping flying sites.

The voice of its membership, providing liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Communications Commission, and other government agencies through our national headquarters in Muncie, Indiana. AMA also works with local governments, zoning boards, and parks departments to promote the interests of local chartered clubs.

An associate member of the National Aeronautic Association. Through NAA, AMA is recognized by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the world governing body of all aviation activity, as the only organization which may direct U.S. participation in international aeromodeling activities.
Why not just answer my question if the AMA isn't in the business of providing flying site than why do they have the Muncie site?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-06-2015 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:48 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Why not just answer my question if the AMA isn't in the business of providing flying site than why do they have the Muncie site?

Mike
I did. The answer is highlighted in red in my post. If you're going to host national and international events you need a dedicated facility to do so.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 AM
rcmiket

I did. The answer is highlighted in red in my post. If you're going to host national and international events you need a dedicated facility to do so.
Really? That's no answer. So by that logic any open national event (and there are many) should be funded and built by the AMA..The Nationals could be held in different locations throughout the US to accommodate everyone and support the host club along with the community where they are located.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-06-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Really? That's no answer. So by that logic any open national event (and there are many) should be funded and built by the AMA..The Nationals could be held in different locations throughout the US to accommodate everyone and support the host club along with the community where they are located.

Mike
Yes, that's my answer. As far as I know there is no requirement that NATS events be held at the IAC and several events do not take place at the IAC. If you're interested in a particular event you need to check with the event organizer to see why the IAC was chosen and make suggestions for alternative locations for future events.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Well CD's do get 1/2 price dues. If you only run one informal swap meet or something a year, probably a pretty good deal.

Organize a decent size event or two a year, you're doing it because you love it not for saving a few bucks on your AMA dues.

Why not drop the AMA requirement from existing fields? Because in a world where you can successfully sue someone because their hot coffee is too hot when you dump it on your own nuts, liability is the name of the game. How many of those fields would be lost if the clubs and members couldn't prove they have liability insurance for something that is potentially a lot more dangerous than drinking even fresh hot coffee?

Sure, everyone could go get their own insurance, but then whatever poor schlep that ends up responsible for checking insurance is buried in paperwork where now you just have to show a club officer a universally recognized card that when current proves you have 2 million in liability insurance. That's not even getting into the percentage of people that would Photoshop their own insurance documents and leave the club, property owner, municipality, and knowing personal injury lawyers maybe the Pope out to dry to get sued if there's a mishap and they have fake insurance papers.
+100. I can assure you that the folks who would advocate the AMA coverage be taken away from the fields (to save a few bucks) would be the absolute first one in line yelling about "you'll hear from my lawyer", and then sue everyone in sight.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:47 AM
rcmiket

Yes, that's my answer. As far as I know there is no requirement that NATS events be held at the IAC and several events do not take place at the IAC. If you're interested in a particular event you need to check with the event organizer to see why the IAC was chosen and make suggestions for alternative locations for future events.
I would like to see some out of the box thinking rather than the "that's they way we always have done it" by our organization. After all it is OUR organization.

Mike
Old 06-06-2015, 04:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by paulsf86
porcia83, yes I have seen them more than once at the high end restaurants. Secondly, we are an organization of Traditional Model aviation, RC, Control line, Free flight etc. We are not an suas organization and heaven help us if we were to be swept into the rules and regulations that control the suas market. Our AMA funds should, in no way, be spent on marketing and education of markets beyond our traditional market. And yes, if the AMA council thinks we should spend money outside of the traditional model aviation field, the membership should be polled. And also, I have expressed these ideas to my Regional AMA VP.
aha...."Traditional". Your comments would seem to indicate you are not really aware of the function of AMA, or wish for it to be something it is not. You don't get to define what is "traditional", thank god. The AMA had adapted as new technologies have come to the hobby since the days of free flight, and I'd guess anyone who flies anything other than free flight over the years has been mighty thankful about that.

The close mindedness and antiquated thought process of not adapting and recognizing new forms of flight isn't an issue for the AMA. If it was, it would have become a relic long ago.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I would like to see some out of the box thinking rather than the "that's they way we always have done it" by our organization. After all it is OUR organization.

Mike
That's not the way they've always done it. Where do you think these events took place before the IAC was built? The IAC is still relatively new and this year's NATS is the 89th! They did take place all over the country before the IAC was built. Guess what? Finding a different suitable location every year is no simple task either. It's also important to understand these events are run by volunteers.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:06 AM
Duncman

Four wonderful flying sites in my area, three of which are land based acreage donated by the local communities and BLM, only requirement is the clubs carry a AMA Charter/insurance, all flyers be AMA and do not discriminate, the fourth site is a waterborne National Recreation Area for float flying and the NPS's only requirement is all who fly be AMA members. Equation is simple, AMA insurance goes away, then so do the flying sites. Folks we can theorize our fingers to the bone but all we'll get is boney fingers, the simple reality is AMA provides insurance and protects the hobby and that has a cost associated with it.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
Four wonderful flying sites in my area, three of which are land based acreage donated by the local communities and BLM, only requirement is the clubs carry a AMA Charter/insurance, all flyers be AMA and do not discriminate, the fourth site is a waterborne National Recreation Area for float flying and the NPS's only requirement is all who fly be AMA members. Equation is simple, AMA insurance goes away, then so do the flying sites. Folks we can theorize our fingers to the bone but all we'll get is boney fingers, the simple reality is AMA provides insurance and protects the hobby and that has a cost associated with it.
Glad to hear you have access to multiple beautiful flying sites in your area. Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily make them suitable to host a national/international event. There are many things that need to be considered when selecting a site.

Again, if it's something you want to happen you need to reach out to the event organizers and let them know.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
The irony of course is that the organization has changed, and has "thought outside the box", yet is constantly criticized for it, see above for pauls86 comments regarding suas, and the need to keep things "traditional".

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit

It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory. ~W. Edwards Deming
Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

all this talk about ama increase wait till your real old cant work see what you think then i hate being 83 but cant do a thing about it just count my pennies pay my rent car insurance life insurance lite bills gas bills water bills and so on happy flying
Old 06-06-2015, 06:48 AM
rcmiket

The irony of course is that the organization has changed, and has "thought outside the box", yet is constantly criticized for it, see above for pauls86 comments regarding suas, and the need to keep things "traditional".

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit

Besides tossing a bunch of money on the whole drone thing I see no change, Care to enlighten me on other changes and where this kind of money is being spent?

Mike
Old 06-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Great quotes!

Here are a few more:

The only thing constant is change.

There are Four Kinds Of People:
1) Those who make things happen;
2) Those to whom things happen;
3) Those who watch things happen;
4) Those who don’t even know things are happening.

~Lou Gerstner
Old 06-06-2015, 08:01 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not rich but a 30 dollar increase is no big deal.That is just one gallon of heli fuel or one 2200 MaH battery. most club dues are over that price. Dont take wife to the movies one time for the year and pay for the dues. People always complain they spend 3000 dollars on a airplane and then complain about a 15 dollar switch going up in price to 17 dollars.

We need the AMA now days and will need it even more in the future.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:55 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
all this talk about ama increase wait till your real old cant work see what you think then i hate being 83 but cant do a thing about it just count my pennies pay my rent car insurance life insurance lite bills gas bills water bills and so on happy flying
I hear you oneaew. I would be more than happy to pay more dues if AMA provided free membership to our older guys...especially those on a minimal fixed income. I've been very happy to see AMA give youth free memberships and likewise would be pleased to see them do the same for our older guys too. I truly feel for guys like you on fixed incomes and even though my income is broke, i still think we should do more for our seniors that contributed so much for so long.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I hear you oneaew. I would be more than happy to pay more dues if AMA provided free membership to our older guys...especially those on a minimal fixed income. I've been very happy to see AMA give youth free memberships and likewise would be pleased to see them do the same for our older guys too. I truly feel for guys like you on fixed incomes and even though my income is broke, i still think we should do more for our seniors that contributed so much for so long.
I'd rather see them provide free membership to disabled vets, say 60% or above disability rating, as that's the magic number for many federal programs.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'd rather see them provide free membership to disabled vets, say 60% or above disability rating, as that's the magic number for many federal programs.
Couldn't care less about how the federal government qualifies anything but any vet that was in harms way should certainly have free memberships. As for those "career type" desk jockeys...all bets are off...as they are generally only self-serving anyway...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.