Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:35 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great question you ask..what problem is trying to be solved? If it ain't broke.....

Of course it would be logistically difficult to have the AMA secure and administer flying fields across the country. Pretty sure that would take more people at AMA, and more bureaucracy, which of course would then get more complaints from the "ama is too big too many people working there and taking my dues money" crowd.

I'm not a fan of paying more for anything, but the reality is it probably won't be much more than we're paying now, if they even go up that is.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:02 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some parts of the country public flying fields exist that are part of the parks system at the federal, state, county, or local municipality level. IMHO I think it would be better for the AMA to build relationships and these entities (beyond what exists today) and create playbooks so local clubs with the assistance of the AMA can acquire more flying sites within the public parks systems. I think what we need to do is get RC recognized as a national recreational activity. We have plenty of baseball/softball, football, soccer, lacross, etc. fields around, why not acquire flying fields using similar justification that's used for athletic fields?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
That's a great question you ask..what problem is trying to be solved?
People with close access to Muncie have any number of flying options available to them, from dedicated CL circles, to well groomed grass runways, to paved runways. For the vast majority of the rest of us, we have far fewer options. In order of priority, I'd rather see my AMA dues fund local flying fields, competitions for "average modelers" (i.e. no sponsored pilots - no "royalty"), then advocacy, then everything else.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
People with close access to Muncie have any number of flying options available to them, from dedicated CL circles, to well groomed grass runways, to paved runways. For the vast majority of the rest of us, we have far fewer options. In order of priority, I'd rather see my AMA dues fund local flying fields, competitions for "average modelers" (i.e. no sponsored pilots - no "royalty"), then advocacy, then everything else.
The options are what we make of them. If you're an AMA member, you are the AMA! There are a number of clubs that have dedicated CL circles, paved runways, clubhouses with heat/AC, stoves, restrooms, WiFi access, weather stations, etc. AMA members made that happen and there's no reason others cannot do the same. What's hard is getting started.

It's easy to sit back and make requests of the AMA, but we need to keep in mind they're a small non-profit organization with limited resources.

As far as competitions go, I believe any AMA member can sanction a competition event.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
The options are what we make of them. If you're an AMA member, you are the AMA! There are a number of clubs that have dedicated CL circles, paved runways, clubhouses with heat/AC, stoves, restrooms, WiFi access, weather stations, etc. AMA members made that happen and there's no reason others cannot do the same. What's hard is getting started.

It's easy to sit back and make requests of the AMA, but we need to keep in mind they're a small non-profit organization with limited resources.

As far as competitions go, I believe any AMA member can sanction a competition event.
Aren't local clubs " small non-profit organizations with limited resources"?
Comparing the local clubs to the AMA isn't really fair at all The AMA has "deeper pockets" than the local clubs and can (and do) spend money anyway they wish without consulting the membership. We ( the local Clubs) make the hobby happen without us the AMA would not exist and the local clubs could use more financial support from the organization WE FUND.

Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 06:44 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Aren't local clubs " small non-profit organizations with limited resources"?
Comparing the local clubs to the AMA isn't really fair at all The AMA has "deeper pockets" than the local clubs and can (and do) spend money anyway they wish without consulting the membership. We ( the local Clubs) make the hobby happen without us the AMA would not exist and the local clubs could use more financial support from the organization WE FUND.

Mike
Providing flying sites to members is not the role of the AMA.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/whatisama.aspx
Old 06-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Duncman

Increase dues from $58 to $75 a year, that works out to a whopping 22.6% increase, pretty tough pill for some folks to swallow. No doubt the AMA needs more operating capitol to continue to provide the services they do but they would lose far less members if they limited their increase to say 5 to 10% and set up a 5 year cycle for dues increases. It is a tightrope, you raise them too much and you lose such a significant membership base that your revenue stream is actually reduced, counterproductive result. I hope they maintain a prudent approach to this action.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a problem with a dues increase if necessary after AMA reviews their spending policies and really needs the $ for member related expenses. Remember, the Executive council spent $250000 on suas marketing and education a year ago without member approval. Executive staff frequently seen at high end restaurants when attending events and shows. The travel junkets and Council spending would be my first option for cost savings and maybe the dues increase does not have to be as much.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:37 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by paulsf86
I don't have a problem with a dues increase if necessary after AMA reviews their spending policies and really needs the $ for member related expenses. Remember, the Executive council spent $250000 on suas marketing and education a year ago without member approval.
Well, at least they weren't catering to that market.... I've been corrected for saying they have been... LOL

Look, I am on record saying that AMA would be a bargain at twice the price...I also believe gasoline should be more than $10 a gallon...it would get a lot of the riff raff off the road so I can roll on! Likewise, we need to get the riff raff out of the hobby...so yes, we "need" a substantial dues increase!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
That's a great question you ask..what problem is trying to be solved? If it ain't broke.....

Of course it would be logistically difficult to have the AMA secure and administer flying fields across the country. Pretty sure that would take more people at AMA, and more bureaucracy, which of course would then get more complaints from the "ama is too big too many people working there and taking my dues money" crowd.

I'm not a fan of paying more for anything, but the reality is it probably won't be much more than we're paying now, if they even go up that is.
That is why I suggested the AMA partner with some clubs to establish sites on par with Muncie in various areas of the country.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:49 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

Answer: Lifetime membership. no more dues for me. Now I'm spending money on gas and balsa
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i wont pay for life time member iam 83 my time is short
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i wont pay for life time member iam 83 my time is short
Hmmm...maybe they "need" a pro rated option...
Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by cmoore806
Answer: Lifetime membership. no more dues for me. Now I'm spending money on gas and balsa
I've been considering doing it for a while, I guess now is the time! Wish I would have done it when I started in the hobby years ago.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:41 AM
littlecrankshaf

I've been considering doing it for a while, I guess now is the time! Wish I would have done it when I started in the hobby years ago.
If you do, remember its tax deductible! A great way to give to AMA.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Be careful of what you wish for. If you want to limit the hobby to the "elite" that can afford the high end prices, you may end up without a hobby at all. The majority of the spending that goes on to support the hobby industry is made up of the everyday modeler. If you price them out of the hobby, there is no hobby, no matter how much money you have.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM
littlecrankshaf

I can assure you, I have my hobby "needs" met for a least a few lifetimes LOL
Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
Increase dues from $58 to $75 a year, that works out to a whopping 22.6% increase, pretty tough pill for some folks to swallow. No doubt the AMA needs more operating capitol to continue to provide the services they do but they would lose far less members if they limited their increase to say 5 to 10% and set up a 5 year cycle for dues increases. It is a tightrope, you raise them too much and you lose such a significant membership base that your revenue stream is actually reduced, counterproductive result. I hope they maintain a prudent approach to this action.
Yes, but its been years since we've had an increase, so I'm betting if you take what incremental inflation adjusted increases would have cost us over the years, we'd be paying more, but it would be more tolerable because it would be a "smaller increase"
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Be careful of what you wish for. If you want to limit the hobby to the "elite" that can afford the high end prices, you may end up without a hobby at all. The majority of the spending that goes on to support the hobby industry is made up of the everyday modeler. If you price them out of the hobby, there is no hobby, no matter how much money you have.
First and foremost, I realize there are people with real financial hardships.

However, I'm also sick and tired of people complaining about the cost of AMA dues when they have a winter home in Florida, or have an iPhone, or drive a big gas guzzling truck/SUV paying more for a single tank of gas than an entire year's worth of AMA dues, or have every cable channel imaginable, or have a huge RV/camper, or smoke, or drink. Often times it's said that people who complain the most have the most. The Park Pilot program was an attempt for those flying smaller aircraft to pay less dues. Not sure how many took advantage of it, but I thought it was being phased out due to lack of participation.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
If you do, remember its tax deductible! A great way to give to AMA.
That's one of the incentives that's been pushing me in that direction.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:38 PM
rcmiket

Providing flying sites to members is not the role of the AMA.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/whatisama.aspx
OK than why do we need the Muncie site?

Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
OK than why do we need the Muncie site?

Mike

[h=1]What is the AMA?[/h] World's largest model aviation association, representing a membership of more than 175,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group.

Self-supporting, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

Organization open to anyone interested in model aviation.

Official national body for model aviation in the United States. AMA sanctions more than 2,000 model competitions throughout the country each year, and certifies official model flying records on a national and international level.

Organizer of the annual National Aeromodeling Championships, the world's largest model airplane competition.

Chartering organization for more than 2,500 model airplane clubs across the country. AMA offers its chartered clubs official contest sanction, insurance, and assistance in getting and keeping flying sites.

The voice of its membership, providing liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Communications Commission, and other government agencies through our national headquarters in Muncie, Indiana. AMA also works with local governments, zoning boards, and parks departments to promote the interests of local chartered clubs.

An associate member of the National Aeronautic Association. Through NAA, AMA is recognized by the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI), the world governing body of all aviation activity, as the only organization which may direct U.S. participation in international aeromodeling activities.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:59 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

from around 150 members to 40 in a yr and a half is a big drop that is my clubthe field we have is free it has been there at least 25 yrs>> at my field not one person cares what happens to it
Old 06-05-2015, 01:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

I don't have a problem with a dues increase if necessary after AMA reviews their spending policies and really needs the $ for member related expenses. Remember, the Executive council spent $250000 on suas marketing and education a year ago without member approval. Executive staff frequently seen at high end restaurants when attending events and shows. The travel junkets and Council spending would be my first option for cost savings and maybe the dues increase does not have to be as much.
I love quotes like this. Rumor and innuendo. Did YOU see anyone at high end restaurants, or is this a second hand thing you've heard? What's frequently? High end restaurants...yes, for sure. Now was that the Chili's or the diner that was the high end joint?

You do realize how the decision was reached to spend money on the marketing/education right? If not, you should research that. Why do you think a membership approval was needed? Do we normally get asked about say, how they spend money on advertising, or what health insurance company they should go with, or what to spend on advertising this year...etc etc. You have local and regional reps, if you don't like whats going on voice your concern. Then vote accordingly. See alot of people throwing their hats in the ring for positions?
Old 06-05-2015, 01:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Well, at least they weren't catering to that market.... I've been corrected for saying they have been... LOL

Look, I am on record saying that AMA would be a bargain at twice the price...I also believe gasoline should be more than $10 a gallon...it would get a lot of the riff raff off the road so I can roll on! Likewise, we need to get the riff raff out of the hobby...so yes, we "need" a substantial dues increase!
Corrected.....?...nah...reeducmacated, that's all. Joking aside, they have adapted to the changes as they have come up over the years, they have to. Adapt and change or die (or at least stagnate for a loong time).

Did you really say get the rif raf out of the hobby.....hoping you were joking. That would be disappointing, This hobby has hierarchies in terms of what is flown and the value of it, but nobody should have the right to look down at anyone else in the hobby and label them as rif raf. Dude!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.