Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Couldn't care less about how the federal government qualifies anything but any vet that was in harms way should certainly have free memberships. As for those "career type" desk jockeys...all bets are off...as they are generally only self-serving anyway...
How are you going to verify who was in harms way and who wasn't? While the intentions are good, the AMA needs to develop business processes to ensure fairness and prevent fraud.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:16 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Besides tossing a bunch of money on the whole drone thing I see no change, Care to enlighten me on other changes and where this kind of money is being spent?

Mike
LoL...you want it both ways. You note that you want to see more out of the box thinking, I give you an example of it, and you ask for more. Can you think of another issue that's been this important in the hobby over the past few years that the AMA didn't get involved in? I'll give you a hint, there isn't one. Are you fully aware of all that went into the saus systems work over the past few years, or do you think the AMA just "threw money" at something.

What else would you recommend them doing, and make sure it doesn't involve "throwing money" at it. What happens at an organizations level, that effects hundreds of thousands of members, that doesn't cost money?

Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
How are you going to verify who was in harms way and who wasn't? While the intentions are good, the AMA needs to develop business processes to ensure fairness and prevent fraud.
Right, another process, another procedure for someone to administer, seeming very easy, and of course, free of charge.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right, another process, another procedure for someone to administer, seeming very easy, and of course, free of charge.
Keep in mind, nothing is impossible for the person that doesn't have to do it them self....
Old 06-06-2015, 12:47 PM
rcmiket

LoL...you want it both ways. You note that you want to see more out of the box thinking, I give you an example of it, and you ask for more. Can you think of another issue that's been this important in the hobby over the past few years that the AMA didn't get involved in? I'll give you a hint, there isn't one. Are you fully aware of all that went into the saus systems work over the past few years, or do you think the AMA just "threw money" at something.

What else would you recommend them doing, and make sure it doesn't involve "throwing money" at it. What happens at an organizations level, that effects hundreds of thousands of members, that doesn't cost money?

You provided nothing. I mentioned throwing money at the drones. I await your example of where the AMA has spent that kind of money.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-06-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Duncman

Glad to hear you have access to multiple beautiful flying sites in your area. Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily make them suitable to host a national/international event. There are many things that need to be considered when selecting a site.

Again, if it's something you want to happen you need to reach out to the event organizers and let them know.

Ace Dude, three of those sites are to small for anything larger than a club event but the fourth site is ideal for large events and we do host an IMAC event (going on now), a Warbird racing event, and in the fall we have and will be hosting a Helifreak Fun Fly, next year we are hosting a fun Fly as well. While all are regional, mainly west coast, they are big and we do get folks from pretty far away. Even at that, our prime facility is no match for some of the east cost venues, but it is a good site for us folks out west.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:57 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I can only guess that is a serious question...So hang on...Have you ever considered that someone intent on fraud to fly his model airplane could just use someone's name and AMA number that is so proudly displayed on these forums and fly at just about any sanctioned event??? Look, the honor system is in use...and has been in use...I guess someone could just fraudulently apply for a youth membership too... Come on now, the thought of someone lying about being on a tour of duty just get a membership so they can fly a model airplane at an AMAish club is not all that concerning...but if that were actually a problem, that would be least of our/their worries. Really can't believe I responded to that...but oh well...
Old 06-07-2015, 06:23 AM
littlecrankshaf

Oh, seen this too... You guys take the award. Can't believe it... a chance to do something for those we owe so much is short circuited by such selfishness. I guess that's the biggest thing I see in the typical AMAish responder here...always figuring a rationale to prevent or not allow whatever based on the potential or unlikely bad actions of a few.... God help us!!! Quit paving the road!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:47 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

What did we do befor the ama i for got
Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 AM
william-RCU

AMA could save money on making the magazine a option. Some fly with family so we don't need 2 magazines. There are ways to cut costs instead of loosing members buy raising dues. Some comments here are not thought out this is a hobby. We had to lower our club dues from $50 to $25. Those of us with a little extra will step up if needed. So you money braggers cough it up so everyone can enjoy. I am sure that there are some that only buy AMA for those 2 or 3 events those will stop we are getting smaller as no reason for dues to help this out.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:13 AM
william-RCU

We had our own insurance just like now.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

i support the ama and realize on the whole what a great job they have done supporting radio control.they were instrumental in gaining new frequiencies,remember the 27 frequency.and in some areas the 72 frequency had some issues with truckers and cb.the recent expendirure to protect our hobby was well the time and effort.When the nationals were permanently installed in muncie i was angry.i had neither the time or funds to spend several days at a national site.frankly i would love to see the nats re located to a regional area.I would surely attend.I sincerely doubt i will ever get to muncie and i think regional sites would draw many more attendees. during the nearly 40 years of flying rc i have seen many flying sites disappear because of noise.fortnuately the era of electrics has likely helped keep clubs together particularly in urban setting where land is scarce. i was very fearful that the flood of drones with rouge pilots was going to kill rc .but the lobbying efforts in washington paid off. as for any hindsight i wish the ama had bought properties around the country over the last 30 years to protect and sustain flying sites.having a good field club site is still a concern thesedays.as for dues i am happy to pay .nothing is free.and peop;e who complain about paying a penny usually complain about everything/.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I'll tell you what, if it will keep you from flying with out insurance if the dues go up, shoot me a PM and I'll pay the difference for you.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 06-07-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Oh, seen this too... You guys take the award. Can't believe it... a chance to do something for those we owe so much is short circuited by such selfishness. I guess that's the biggest thing I see in the typical AMAish responder here...always figuring a rationale to prevent or not allow whatever based on the potential or unlikely bad actions of a few.... God help us!!! Quit paving the road!
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Is it your standard anti AMA stuff, or a knock at someone who doesn't hold the same "ama sucks" thought process...etc etc? Suggestions about changes are great, but they usually come at some cost.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by [email protected]
What did we do before electricity?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

dup
Old 06-07-2015, 01:21 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I'll tell you what, if it will keep you from flying with insurance if the dues go up, shoot me a PM and I'll pay the difference for you.
Hmmm... me thinks you said that wrong... Anyway, does your offer extend to everyone else??
Old 06-07-2015, 01:23 PM
littlecrankshaf

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Is it your standard anti AMA stuff, or a knock at someone who doesn't hold the same "ama sucks" thought process...etc etc? Suggestions about changes are great, but they usually come at some cost.
Ok, I give up...I can't discern nuances and others can't understand english...LOL
Old 06-07-2015, 02:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Hmmm... me thinks you said that wrong... Anyway, does your offer extend to everyone else??
hehe yea.
I knew what i meant!

Just him and I'm serious.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I'll tell you what, if it will keep you from flying with out insurance if the dues go up, shoot me a PM and I'll pay the difference for you.
I'll do the same for the following year.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

hehe yea.
I knew what i meant!

Just him and I'm serious.
Same here.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 AM
franklin_m

Not difficult at all. Send in redacted (black out SSN) DD-214 with renewal. Or send similarly redacted VA disability letter.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:44 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Not difficult at all. Send in redacted (black out SSN) DD-214 with renewal. Or send similarly redacted VA disability letter.
Correct, for those who are disabled, but lcs was proposing a discount for anyone who was in harms way (i.e., on the battlefield) as opposed to someone who had a desk job.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 AM
littlecrankshaf

I'll do the same for the following year.
No doubt about the level of concern when someone offers to engage in another's business by making him their charity. For you guys to offer buying his membership so that his financial liability risks are covered, while flying his model airplane, speaks volumes about the great guys you are. I am sure he appreciates your offers for what it is.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:28 PM
flycarden

Crankshaft. So what are you going to do if the dues go up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.