Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:35 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by teebox11
.......barry hussein barrack........

Somehow , I just fail to see what Mr. Obama has to do with an AMA dues increase .......

Course , I really don't care much about politics , and certainly can do without political BS being dragged in to the AMA forum .

How about having some respect for your fellow posters and leave Mr. Obama to the political forums ?

Last edited by init4fun; 06-19-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"A-less-than stellar claims history over the last few years has resulted in AMA incurring more than $1,000,000 in expenses against our self-insured retention..."

All but an admission that their safety management system is not so effective as they've been saying it is.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:42 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
"A-less-than stellar claims history over the last few years has resulted in AMA incurring more than $1,000,000 in expenses against our self-insured retention..."

All but an admission that their safety management system is not so effective as they've been saying it is.
I guess it all depends on how you look at it...IMO not bad considering they are responsible for 150,000+ people...most needing or wanting constant direction...
Old 06-19-2015, 08:01 AM
bradpaul

Yes, they could have used that money to hire "safety management consultants"......

Reminds me of the meme. "Those that can do, those that can't do, teach, those that can't teach, consult".
Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 AM
littlecrankshaf

Probably a little more complicated than that...the cost of everything related to that liability has gone through the roof...trying not to be political...but the fact remains.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Yes, they could have used that money to hire "safety management consultants"......

Reminds me of the meme. "Those that can do, those that can't do, teach, those that can't teach, consult".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	consultingdemotivator.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2104014  
Old 06-19-2015, 02:44 PM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by porcia83
Curious to know how you feel you're being shortchanged, or better yet the whole hobby, since you seem to be speaking on it's behalf. Is this just a new thing given the FAA issues, or has this been a longtime feeling? How do you think the money is better spent?
Not only do I speak on behalf of the entire hobby, I speak for all mankind ... Didn't you read that part of the PATRIOT ACT that allows me to do so?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:52 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The sad part is all of the money being spent ( and will be spent ) dealing with the non AMA idiots with "drones" that never will become AMA members anyway. IMO this is a losing battle as you can't regulate stupid. Were pissing in the wind on this one.
It's not about the dues increase to me as much as how it's being spent.

Mike
Well said and the intent of my original post.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:02 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Just how much do you think the AMA will spend fighting the "drone" problem? This is not about providing the membership with a better product. This increase is nothing but fund generator to fuel a losing battle with the feds. As I have posted in the past most "drones" are sold to people who have no intention of joining the AMA or even care about regulations that are now in place. Now Sam's Club who have been selling the cheaper DJI online now plan on a full line in their stores. Gee what could possibility go wrong there and just how can all the money spent fix it? You can not educate or regulate people that just don"t care.

We the AMA members are funding a losing battle. Before you think I just hate "drones" I use them along with sell them here in the LHS. I see first hand everyday who's buying them and I can tell you that 99.9% of our sales go too people who will more than likely be part of the problem. We try and educate them but it's falling on deaf ears. That's the cold hard reality of the situation.

Mike
Yes. For those of you who keep track of these things, GoPro has announced they are going to make a drone.

Imagine the distribution channel of gopro pushing drones versus DJI

the analysts are projecting US$500M of sales for GoPro drones in the first year, conservatively

At $1000-$1500 retail (?) that is between 300-500K more of these drones per year, again virtually not one of them joining the AMA. These will in all likelihood have no conventional flight controls at all, so the issue of flying "skill" in meaningless. they are not models, the "M" in AMA

Last edited by mr_matt; 06-19-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM
mr_matt

So what have we lost?
Opportunity cost. We can't spend that money on traditional AMA activities.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:17 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Yes. For those of you who keep track of these things, GoPro has announced they are going to make a drone.

Imagine the distribution channel of gopro pushing drones versus DJI

the analysts are projecting US$500M of sales for GoPro drones in the first year, conservatively

At $1000-$1500 retail (?) that is between 300-500K more of these drones per year, again virtually not one of them joining the AMA. These will in all likelihood have no conventional flight controls at all, so the issue of flying "skill" in meaningless. they are not models, the "M" in AMA
Not surprised one bit by this. Since most manufactures are going with in house cameras now Go Pro is missing out. They have to get their market share of the hot item.

Mike
Old 06-20-2015, 05:25 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

everyone stop paying the dues for a year see how fast they will come down everyone wants money money i will not be able to pay higher dues so to the desert i go
Old 06-20-2015, 11:18 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
everyone stop paying the dues for a year see how fast they will come down everyone wants money money i will not be able to pay higher dues so to the desert i go
Will cost you way more in gas to go to the desert than another twenty bucks a year in dues.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:22 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by ira d
Will cost you way more in gas to go to the desert than another twenty bucks a year in dues.
That's probably a very good point...and supports my contention about the false economy modelers sometimes use to rationalize their expenditures.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Oh, BTW if I have been keeping up...at least two great guys have offered to pay a few years for you...
Old 06-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Duncman

Like I said, if $20 breaks the bank then the $48 already paid got to hurt, so save $68 to go to the desert, hope it is closer than your current site so you can save some gas money also, oh, I'm not so nice, no pay your dues for me.

Reno, NV has 2 groups that fly. One group is an AMA club that has a beautiful paved runway and apron, tables, storage, separate heli spot, they stage events and all the members pay dues and belong to AMA and do a good job supporting the club. The second group call themselves "The Outlaws", no AMA, no dues or club membership and they are proud of it, they fly off of dry, dusty alkaline dry lakebed that in the wintertime becomes a lake and they often have to share it with wind surfers, of course you don't want to fly when they are surfing. Bottom line is simple, "wanna play, gotta pay".
Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Opportunity cost. We can't spend that money on traditional AMA activities.
LOL...since when are rotary winged aircraft not part of traditional AMA activities? Wonder if the heli folks got the memo on that?
Old 06-21-2015, 05:44 PM
mr_matt

Rotary wing_models_are fine. Mass market semi-autonomous drones are not models.

If you can't see the difference between a model and a drone marketed by a 8 billion $ public company, marketed to SOLELY address social media outlets like YouTube then I'm not sure there's much left to talk about with you.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Rotary wing_models_are fine. Mass market semi-autonomous drones are not models.

If you can't see the difference between a model and a drone marketed by a 8 billion $ public company, marketed to SOLELY address social media outlets like YouTube then I'm not sure there's much left to talk about with you.
Was there anything to talk about in the first place? You don't seem to open to any discussion unless it's in agreement with your position. You appear to be segmenting off one specific subsection of rotary aircraft, and why...because it's mass marketed? And somehow you have determined that this is being done solely for social media outlets? There is no evidence to support that. The stuff about the value of a company is irrelevant in this discussion. And no, not much difference between a model and a "drone", whatever that may be.

Do you remember what you said back in this thread you started?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...ed-online.html

Specifically...."I think it is interesting that it does not appear to add any regulation regarding the difference between a model aircraft and a UAS".

Have you figured out the reason for that yet? Do you think it might have something do to with the type of flying rather than the aircraft?

It's the people flying the aircraft that is the issue. Banning these multi-rotors, or calling for the AMA to step away from involving them in the hobby (the traditional hobby as you put it), is just simplistic and naive. They are here to stay, and are a valid part of the hobby.

We should all be thankful that this isn't the position the AMA took when new technologies came around, like say, turbines and helis etc. I'm not thrilled about paying more for dues, but...it is what it is. Wish they could have done smaller ones along the way, but I suspect it won''t cause any great decline in membership.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:23 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default what would you call this?

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0NvKwgfjiS4?list=PL15KbAxfKZE2GLuGleeSpswg_UjJ_Ime l" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
That's probably a very good point...and supports my contention about the false economy modelers sometimes use to rationalize their expenditures.
you mean like the guys who think nothing of buying a $3500 glow fueled radial engine , and then whine about the price of the $35 gallon of fuel ?

Last edited by init4fun; 06-22-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:16 PM
init4fun

..... What would you call this ? ......
Me ? I'd call it awesome . Serious awesome . Kick Chuck Norris' butt awesome .... Well , almost ... Pretty damned cool , yea , that's it ....
Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 PM
mr_matt

The AMA could spend a million or 10 million. There is no evidence their involvement traveling to the AUVSI or any of the other trade shows has done or will do anything but increase frequent flyer accounts.

If the cost of living has gone up 30+ percent why not use all of these new dues to upgrade our insurance policy by 30%. I would be for tripling the dues if it was spent wisely.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 PM
mr_matt

Not something the AMA needs to spend one dime worrying about or traveling to speak about, or trying to train the pilot of......
Old 06-23-2015, 03:19 AM
rcmiket

We should all be thankful that this isn't the position the AMA took when new technologies came around, like say, turbines and helis etc. .
On the other hand there's always the possibility that the AMA is just wrong this time on funding this fight with OUR money.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-23-2015 at 03:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.