Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:27 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Yes, they could have used that money to hire "safety management consultants"......Reminds me of the meme. "Those that can do, those that can't do, teach, those that can't teach, consult".
For the record, I "did" for 23 years. Furthermore, I was the one accountable for everything that happened at a $3B facility with over 14,000 people living and working there - including being accountable for operations at an airport that had over 250,000 takeoffs and landings annually. Now I'm paid by companies that want me to teach them how to implement a safety management system and safety culture like the ones I built and managed for those many years. I guess I'm "doing" yet again, for my client's leading safety metrics show improvements of 70% to 98% - depending upon the metric.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
On the other hand there's always the possibility that the AMA is just wrong this time on funding this fight with OUR money.

Mike
Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the other hand there's always the possibility that the AMA is just wrong this time on funding this fight with OUR money.

Mike
It just so happens that this fight just might impact our hobby in maybe not in a positive manner.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:23 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Duncman
It just so happens that this fight just might impact our hobby in maybe not in a positive manner.
As I see it were in a losing battle here. Public opinion and the Feds are not on our side here. Although I don't really think they understand what we do. The problem is they don't care. Were just people playing with toys to them that are causing problems. They could care less that most aren't modellers they just see us a possible problem and danger to public safety. I don't think our pockets are deep enough to "buy" the right influence in DC we would need.That's the reality of the situation from where I sit.
As I have posted in the past this isn't about what the AMA has lobbied for in the past. This is about public safety along with privacy.

Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-23-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Duncman

As I see it were in a losing battle here. Public opinion and the Feds are not on our side here. Although I don't really think they understand what we do. The problem is they don't care. Were just people playing with toys to them that are causing problems. They could care less that most aren't modellers they just see us a possible problem and danger to public safety. I don't think our pockets are deep enough to "buy" the right influence in DC we would need.That's the reality of the situation from where I sit.
As I have posted in the past this isn't about what the AMA has lobbied for in the past. This is about public safety along with privacy.

Mike.
Your position as I see it is the AMA is wasting our dues money in a losing battle, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to see a dues increase either, but costs do go up and technology presents new challenges, that is just the way this world of ours is and it may very well be a losing battle but at least the AMA is not laying down letting the MAN walk all over us, there is something to be salvaged out of this. I'm gonna go fly while the FAA will still let me, later.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:41 AM
rcmiket

Your position as I see it is the AMA is wasting our dues money in a losing battle, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to see a dues increase either, but costs do go up and technology presents new challenges, that is just the way this world of ours is and it may very well be a losing battle but at least the AMA is not laying down letting the MAN walk all over us, there is something to be salvaged out of this. I'm gonna go fly while the FAA will still let me, later.
Given our resources I just think we can't win here. This is no simple issue. As far as "the Man" walking all over us where ya been the last 7 years?

Mike
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 AM
franklin_m

So, I spend $75 to be a member of AMA, and on top of that I spend $100 to be a member of a club. I flew club field sized planes precisely zero times last year. I fly small aircraft near my home. My AMA membership is paying for insurance that only kicks in AFTER my own homeowner's, a magazine, a flying field I'll probably never visit, a museum I'll likely never visit, staff, and advocacy. That advocacy led to section 336. Now the AMA is also using my dues to sue the FAA over their interpretation of the language we asked for in the law. What about the old saying "Be careful what you wish for, as you just may get it." Seems to me that if our advocacy was so awesome, we'd not have been surprised by the FAA interpretation. Perhaps AMA didn't think out that part of it?

So I'm asking, what is the tangible benefit I get from the $175 a year? What would be different in what and where I fly if I just chose to allow my membership to lapse? So far as I can tell, I'd lose a magazine and that's about it.

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-23-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
So, I spend $75 to be a member of AMA, and on top of that I spend $100 to be a member of a club. I flew club field sized planes precisely zero times last year. I fly small aircraft near my home. My AMA membership is paying for insurance that only kicks in AFTER my own homeowner's, a magazine, a flying field I'll probably never visit, a museum I'll likely never visit, staff, and advocacy. That advocacy led to section 336. Now the AMA is also using my dues to sue the FAA over their interpretation of the language we asked for in the law. What about the old saying "Be careful what you wish for, as you just may get it." Seems to me that if our advocacy was so awesome, we'd not have been surprised by the FAA interpretation. Perhaps AMA didn't think out that part of it?

So I'm asking, what is the tangible benefit I get from the $175 a year? What would be different in what and where I fly if I just chose to allow my membership to lapse? So far as I can tell, I'd lose a magazine and that's about it.
Dang Franklin, with that post you seemed like the renegade outlaw type that the typical devout AMAish drone types gets so red arsed about... Man, I have a new found respect for you!!! lol
Old 06-23-2015, 10:24 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any new news on this?

Doing some math.
$17/$58 = 29.3% increase - this would be for the average member - not youth, park flyer, senior, other membership types.

Dues for 2013 was about $6,782,000
Total Revenues was about $9,603,000

I looked on the AMA site and did not find the Annual Report or a Budget.

I got the 990 from Guidestar.
Can someone point out where we can get these reports?

The Revenue page from AMA's 2013 Form 990 is below...

Best.
Poughkeepsie Pete

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA 2013 Form 990 Revenues.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	2105292  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

So far as I can tell, nobody is forcing you to pay for the AMA membership, which is $75.00. And who is forcing you to pay $100.00 to belong to a club you don't fly at? Those are personal choices you are making, despite questioning the value proposition of both. If you don't feel you're getting value, simply quit. Like you said, you'll only lose a magazine. So are you going to?

Plenty of people fly without the AMA membership. I know many in CT who don't belong to the AMA or a club and still find plenty of places to fly, I bet there's even more in areas less dense in population. Many don't want to deal with club rules and politics, and to some degree the cost as well. Having a membership with AMA nor a club is a prerequisite for having fun in this hobby.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Not something the AMA needs to spend one dime worrying about or traveling to speak about, or trying to train the pilot of......
Luckily, for all of us, one person doesn't get to decide what is considered worthy of AMA involvement, predicated mostly on personal preference no less. Had that been the case, the hobby would still be back in the stone ages.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Yes, I suppose that is a possibility. I'm not sure what the solution is/was to this issue though. Could anyone have predicted 5 years ago exactly what is going on now? Would it have been better at that time to have immediately washed our hands of anything rotary craft related? Doom and gloom was predicated about the proposed rules, and when they came out, was it really all that bad? Has anyone been drastically and dramatically effected as of yet? Any clubs closed, significant hardships felt? Is it just easier to continue to predict horrible things happening in the future? Is the answer to walk away now? How many new complaints would flood in about spending all that money and then walking away?

I'm of the personal opinion they (AMA) had no choice, not realistically. A no win situation no matter what they did/do. I get the complaints about dues increasing, I'm not thrilled with it either. It seems though that folks are immediately linking the increased dues to advocacy efforts, and I've yet to see that be the case. I think some more transparancy on the issue was and is warranted though. Rather than looking at EC meeting notes or balance sheets for the information, I would like to see a clearly laid out plan for what lies ahead. How much is being spent on all issues that are going to cost money, and what is the goal for each. If we're spending x amount on something, how is that money allocated and what do we hope to see as a tangible benefit or outcome. That message should come from on high, and filter down to regional VPs, and right on down the chain. Not sure that would quell all of the concerns, but might go a long way is laying out their plans.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:36 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yes, I suppose that is a possibility. I'm not sure what the solution is/was to this issue though. Could anyone have predicted 5 years ago exactly what is going on now? Would it have been better at that time to have immediately washed our hands of anything rotary craft related? Doom and gloom was predicated about the proposed rules, and when they came out, was it really all that bad? Has anyone been drastically and dramatically effected as of yet? Any clubs closed, significant hardships felt? Is it just easier to continue to predict horrible things happening in the future? Is the answer to walk away now? How many new complaints would flood in about spending all that money and then walking away?

I'm of the personal opinion they (AMA) had no choice, not realistically. A no win situation no matter what they did/do. I get the complaints about dues increasing, I'm not thrilled with it either. It seems though that folks are immediately linking the increased dues to advocacy efforts, and I've yet to see that be the case. I think some more transparancy on the issue was and is warranted though. Rather than looking at EC meeting notes or balance sheets for the information, I would like to see a clearly laid out plan for what lies ahead. How much is being spent on all issues that are going to cost money, and what is the goal for each. If we're spending x amount on something, how is that money allocated and what do we hope to see as a tangible benefit or outcome. That message should come from on high, and filter down to regional VPs, and right on down the chain. Not sure that would quell all of the concerns, but might go a long way is laying out their plans.
I agree about transparency - increasing it will only yield benefits.
Let's first start with the 2014 Annual Report to see how the membership dues is composed - how many full members versus park flyers, etc.
We have to start with the facts.
The claim there are 175,000 members doesn't add up unless there was a huge inrush since 2013 when the 990 report is from.
From the numbers, I think it is much less than that, as much as 25% less.

Too bad the FAA acted up the way it did and caused we, the citizens, to have to mount a $1MM defensive campaign.

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM
rcmiket

Do you have any idea just how much it costs to "grease" the right people to get stuff done in DC? The lobbyist with the deepest pockets win. The small fish get sweep aside. Is it right? Absolutely not but that's just the way it is.

Mike
Old 06-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Duncman

Given our resources I just think we can't win here. This is no simple issue. As far as "the Man" walking all over us where ya been the last 7 years?

Mike
I am assuming you are referring to the beginning of the Obama administration, so I might ask where you have been for the last 50 years if that be the case. Our eroded rights has nothing to do with who is in office but more inline with what we are willing to give up. Seems to me that if it costs a buck it may not be worth fighting for in your humble opinion. I don't want to get into anything with you but the bottom line for me is that the AMA is trying to protect what we have whether it be a lost cause or not and I have respect for that, I have a hard time when someone just wants to give up because in his/her opinion it is "a lost cause". You are way to negative for me.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:50 PM
rcmiket

I am assuming you are referring to the beginning of the Obama administration, so I might ask where you have been for the last 50 years if that be the case. Our eroded rights has nothing to do with who is in office but more inline with what we are willing to give up. Seems to me that if it costs a buck it may not be worth fighting for in your humble opinion. I don't want to get into anything with you but the bottom line for me is that the AMA is trying to protect what we have whether it be a lost cause or not and I have respect for that, I have a hard time when someone just wants to give up because in his/her opinion it is "a lost cause". You are way to negative for me.
Since you feel that the fight is worthy feel free to write them a big check because that's what this fight is going to need a ton of money that we don't have.
I'm not being negative just realistic.

Mike
Old 06-23-2015, 01:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Do you have any idea just how much it costs to "grease" the right people to get stuff done in DC? The lobbyist with the deepest pockets win. The small fish get sweep aside. Is it right? Absolutely not but that's just the way it is.

Mike
You are 100% correct, and the best I can say without going into great detail is oh yes, I'm well aware of what goes on in politics...it's the same at a local/state level too. Sadly. With this issue we are absolutely a small part of the game, the big industrial complex (commercial and military) are the real players here. We're along for the ride I think, but it's a ride we have to take as we are the only ones speaking on behalf of ALL modelers and hobbyists. If not us...who?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:52 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I looked on the AMA site and did not find the Annual Report or a Budget.
I'm also curious why the documents haven't been posted yet..
Old 06-23-2015, 01:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I agree about transparency - increasing it will only yield benefits.
Let's first start with the 2014 Annual Report to see how the membership dues is composed - how many full members versus park flyers, etc.
We have to start with the facts.
The claim there are 175,000 members doesn't add up unless there was a huge inrush since 2013 when the 990 report is from.
From the numbers, I think it is much less than that, as much as 25% less.

Too bad the FAA acted up the way it did and caused we, the citizens, to have to mount a $1MM defensive campaign.

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete
I think the last membership numbers showed an increase overall, not a huge one, but an increase nonetheless and the largest for some time. I don't think the annuals show membership numbers, just totals paid (but could be wrong, I hate balance sheets).

One thing I would add though, I don't think this came about all of a sudden because of the FAA arbitrarily deciding to flex their muscle one day. I think it's far to easy to lay this at the feet of a political bureaucracy, because who doesn't think they are the root of a lot of ineffective and burdensome functions? They were bound to get involved at some point, just as I think the AMA was. Rapidly advancing technology, lower unit costs, and unfortunately reckless and irresponsible behaviors on the part of a few brought this all to a head. Were there sufficient rules/regs/guidelines/laws on the books 5 years ago that would address what's going on now? Who else would be in charge of working through those issues other than the FAA? Does getting any agency involved slow a process down...of course! Is everything they do going to please everyone involved, of course not. I will say though they have moved much faster in the last 6 months to open the skies to commercial use and even some other good uses (the search and rescue folks in TX).
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'm also curious why the documents haven't been posted yet..
everything up to 2013 is posted, but it doesn't say when the last report showing was actually uploaded. I didn't see any budgets posted for any years though. I did however see 2013 and 2014 Annual Reports - Financial Insurance Summary. Looks like there was a significant decrease in property damage and bodily injury claims both reported and filed from 20-13 to 2014 (great news)...but a slight increase in Fire and theft claims in the same period. Medical claims reported/files are mostly flat.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:35 PM
Duncman

You are 100% correct, and the best I can say without going into great detail is oh yes, I'm well aware of what goes on in politics...it's the same at a local/state level too. Sadly. With this issue we are absolutely a small part of the game, the big industrial complex (commercial and military) are the real players here. We're along for the ride I think, but it's a ride we have to take as we are the only ones speaking on behalf of ALL modelers and hobbyists. If not us...who?
Agreed!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Duncman

Since you feel that the fight is worthy feel free to write them a big check because that's what this fight is going to need a ton of money that we don't have.
I'm not being negative just realistic.

Mike
I do think it is worthy and I will do what I can, not being positive just being worthy!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

I do think it is worthy and I will do what I can, not being positive just being worthy!

The irony of course is that rcmiket is going to be writing a check, big or not, for the "fight" when he rejoins the AMA...if he does.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wayne-world.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2105337  
Old 06-23-2015, 04:04 PM
rcmiket

The irony of course is that rcmiket is going to be writing a check, big or not, for the "fight" when he rejoins the AMA...if he does.
I'll buy a 2 year membership at the old price in July so they won't get the additional funds from me right now. Being a club officer I have no choice but to renew. I have in the past and will continue to make my feelings known to the AMA on this..After my membership expires down the road I'll reevaluate this whole mess.

So what's your plan?

Mike.

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-23-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'll buy a 2 year membership at the old price in July so they won't get the additional funds from me right now. Being a club officer I have no choice but to renew. I have in the past and will continue to make my feelings known to the AMA on this..After my membership ex[ires down the road I'll reevaluate this whole mess.

Mike.
That's the best approach to take I think, in addition to getting involved where one can. Hopefully things will be more clear for everyone in 2 years as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.