Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude...move the camera over to the right a tad...show us the real deal.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM
islandflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Originally Posted by islandflyer
The wisest course of action now is to demand that the AMA VP candidates make their position on drones known in their campaign statements, and let the votes speak. If the majority want drones as part of the AMA, so be it.

So would their vote on that one single issue be some type of litmus test? Depending on their position it would be an up or down vote?
Like it's not hard enough to find people to get involved (let alone the membership to actually vote). IMO, it's shortsighted to base a vote on one single issue. What if everything else they bring to the table is outstanding?

I do recall though, not in the to distant past, someone running for an AMA position being asked for his position on something. He struggled mightily to give a specific response, and was called out on it repeatedly. Took a few tries to finally give a definitive answer.
No, but that position is ceertainly worth knowing, so that the membership understands that direction that this VP intends to take in the name of the AMA

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, thank god one person's opinion has no overall affect on how this "hobby" of ours is defined. Thank god.
Correct! your opinion... my opinion....
By the very nature of my business, I am in touch daily with large numbers of Model Aviation enthusiast, amongst which are other companies and manufacturers: the overwhelming majority of them share the same position on the subject, and all are members of the AMA.
Is is actually really hard to understand why people who share the same passion, and are faced with similar challenges are so reluctant to creating their own organization. They really deserve proper representation, and
if this drone hobby is growing so fast, why is it so hard to get it organized among itself?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

No, but that position is ceertainly worth knowing, so that the membership understands that direction that this VP intends to take in the name of the AMA

Agree, it's not that their position shouldn't be known, I just think it's important to understand what they bring to the table in addition to their position on singular issues.

Correct! your opinion... my opinion....
By the very nature of my business, I am in touch daily with large numbers of Model Aviation enthusiast, amongst which are other companies and manufacturers: the overwhelming majority of them share the same position on the subject, and all are members of the AMA.
Is is actually really hard to understand why people who share the same passion, and are faced with similar challenges are so reluctant to creating their own organization. They really deserve proper representation, and
if this drone hobby is growing so fast, why is it so hard to get it organized among itself?
I believe the answer is in your question. For them to start from infancy, and try to do what the AMA has done is going to be (if attempted) a hurculean task. But who knows, maybe they will become disenfranchised with either the AMA, or the lack of representation and strike out on their own. Would probably make a lot of "traditional aeromodelers" very very happy if that were to happen.

Hey now that I'm thinking about it..."they" should probably start a Go Fund Me or Kickstarter program.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:09 PM
islandflyer

Hey now that I'm thinking about it..."they" should probably start a Go Fund Me or Kickstarter program.
Great idea!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

I mean...if a guy making potato salad can get 50k...
Old 06-28-2015, 03:26 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
I did. I stand corrected. Your organization is registered as a 501(c)3. I don't understand how it could possibly be legal, but...

Have you even been audited?

What is your organization's justification for qualification as a 501(c)3? Legally qualifying as a 501(c3) for your typical R/C club seems a bit of a stretch.
Ace, don't you know a lot of clubs are 501(c3)
Where do YOU live?
What clubs have YOU been an OFFICER in?
How long have YOU flown RC?
Have you been audited?

Gambo
AMA # 1527
Old 06-28-2015, 06:54 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Agree, it's not that their position shouldn't be known, I just think it's important to understand what they bring to the table in addition to their position on singular issues.

I believe the answer is in your question. For them to start from infancy, and try to do what the AMA has done is going to be (if attempted) a hurculean task. But who knows, maybe they will become disenfranchised with either the AMA, or the lack of representation and strike out on their own. Would probably make a lot of "traditional aeromodelers" very very happy if that were to happen.

porcia83;
What was that gang that tried starting their own Insurance for modelers They were going to be a insurance only for $25 / year. No Magazine No Nats No supporting international stuff. Nothing but Insurance OH Ya the SF something SPORT FLYERS ASS or sum dumb thing ... How'd that work out now ... anyone remember. Not too good and that Gang had experience too X-AMA if I remember right.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:38 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, thank god one person's opinion has no overall affect on how this "hobby" of ours is defined. Thank god.
Apparently, especially if it does not agree with your opinion! That is why it is important that we, as a group, have a governing body that answers to us, the constituents. EVERYBODY may not be happy all the time, but it should ensure that MOST of the members are served MOST of the time.

The first problem with your thesis is the use of the word "drone". The definition of this is tricky. But regardless, to say that this is not part of model aviation is incredibly...wrong.
This is your opinion. I can tell you are passionate about the hobby and that is great. We all need to be able voice our opinions, but when you call someone else's opinion "wrong", it tends to turn an otherwise healthy discussion amongst members into an argument, which usually does not have any kind of positive outcome. I agree with you that the definition of "drones" is a tricky one! Consider this: Are the majority of "drone" pilots interested in the actual "flyabilty" of their flying platforms, or are they really more interested in the "tech" of them? The GPS system and programing of waypoints, the gyro flight stabilization system, the camera, gimbal, anti-vibration system, the actual photos or videos that are produced and the editing of them, etc., etc? It has been my experience that the latter is largely true. Because of that, I believe that it does make this a different hobby altogether as the focus is not necessarily on the flying, but largely on the technology involved. In my opinion, it is hard to call that "aero modeling". The OVERWHELMING majority of threads I have seen over a multitude of online forums focus on the technology mounted ON the platform, rather than the flyabilty of the platform itself. To me, this further differentiates "drones" from helicopters because the majority of threads and discussions regarding helicopters I have seen are related to the actual flyability of the machine ie; servos, setup, blades, balancing, motors/engines, etc. I know that there is also a large contingent of AMA members that have purchased multi-rotors to give them a try for something different than their usual fixed-wing activities. They don't seem to be interested in FPV, cameras, movies, GPS, etc. For this contingent of our membership, flying these is really no different than flying the traditional RC helicopter as the main focus is the actual flying. To me, this really only makes it much more difficult to define what is "drone" and what is traditional aero modeling.

Of course growth is a component of what they do. It doesn't always means a vertical growth (those greedy royals just want more members for the coffers...mwahahaha) , it can also mean growth in the hobby, and what's included in the hobby, and whats related in the hobby. I'm sure the RC heli pilots are thankful someone didn't come along back in the day to proclaim them NOT PART OF MODEL AVIATION.
I've been an AMA member for countless years now, and I really can't think of anything that the AMA has done or promotion they have run that has resulted in a net GROWTH of the hobby. That happens organically at our individual clubs, depending on how those clubs are run and how they reach out to their individual communities. Some clubs are much better at this than others, proactively reaching out to their communities with school programs, mall shows, open fly-ins and youth programs, while some are run as downright exclusive, "good ole boy" private clubs that operate with an air that they are better than everyone, do not tolerate beginners and leave a bad taste in every person's mouth that visit their field. What the AMA HAS done well over the years is to provide a lobby to regulatory Government agencies (FAA, FCC) in order to protect our interests as modelers and this (in my opinion) is exactly what their purpose is, to listen to its members and provide a unified, professional voice for all of us. Heck, look at all of the differing opinions and bickering that takes place amongst our members in online forums, can you imagine how we would look in Washington trying to represent ourselves? A BIG LOL to that one!

The AMA should not be concerned about GROWTH. They should be concerned about the HEALTH of their membership, whatever the numbers may be. Leave the growth and interest in our hobby up to the members (like it has always been), just like the member you highlighted below! A perfect example of one who is definitely an asset to our membership!

Check out this guy, an absolute genius.

http://flitetest.com/articles/northr...b-design-build

He has been a guest at our club's events for 3-4 years. His builds are absolutely amazing. One of the first things he brought 4 years ago was a quad, self built and programmed for flight. The crowds were amazed. Almost all the aircraft he built were done by scratch. The X-47 build is just stunning ( and either maidened at our field, or just after maidening). His work is most definitely tied into aeromodeling.
Again, I agree with you! Everything about his X-47 project had to do with flying and aeronautic design, etc. It was about producing a flying model through the understanding of science, aerodynamic principles, scalability, construction methods and techniques. It was NOT about strapping a camera and GPS on a flying platform for the purpose of producing photographs and videos.

Hopefully we can use this forum in a positive manner to have a discussion that helps educate and unify us as members of the same organization and not divide and polarize us!

Regards,

Astro
Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 AM
franklin_m

I was really disappointed to read the latest MA magazine. In the President's Perspective column, I noted this comment: "the highlight of our continuing efforts with the FAA was the fact that Michael and the UAS Integration Office Manager Jim Williams visited the AMA booth. [emphasis added]"

Really? Wow! I wouldn't have ever expected them to visit booths at a trade event .. so we must be really special that they visited the AMA booth! I wonder how many booths they didn't visit? I'm sure many.

If this is the best thing you can say about the FAA at the event, we're in bad shape. Perhaps suing them wasn't the best move?
Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I was really disappointed to read the latest MA magazine. In the President's Perspective column, I noted this comment: "the highlight of our continuing efforts with the FAA was the fact that Michael and the UAS Integration Office Manager Jim Williams visited the AMA booth. [emphasis added]"

Really? Wow! I wouldn't have ever expected them to visit booths at a trade event .. so we must be really special that they visited the AMA booth! I wonder how many booths they didn't visit? I'm sure many.

If this is the best thing you can say about the FAA at the event, we're in bad shape. Perhaps suing them wasn't the best move?
I started reading that issue on the plane( on my way to visit the kids and grand kids). I also found that pretty funny. I also understand a little old lady stopped by the both.

Mike
Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Dude...move the camera over to the right a tad...show us the real deal.

Really ? Your into Vespa scooters ? That was my wife's , we bought it brand new , a Vespa 250GTS ie that was the best running little machine ever . It was , at the time , the biggest Vespa sold , although the parent company , Piaggio , had a 500 cc scooter that was branded only with the Piaggio name and wasn't sold as a Vespa . The 250cc Vespa would hit 70 easily and was required to be registered as a regular motorcycle due to being over 50cc . The "ie" designation meant Injected/Electronic , it had fully computer controlled fuel injection and spark timing with CVT transmission . I actually tried the 500cc scooter , it hit 90 MPH , ONCE , and with little 15" wheels it felt like "takeoff speed" and I never went that fast on it again .

Sadly , I have no other photo of the Vespa , after the wife got bored with the motorcycling hobby we sold it to a nice young couple from upstate New York ....
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
I know that there is also a large contingent of AMA members that have purchased multi-rotors to give them a try for something different than their usual fixed-wing activities. They don't seem to be interested in FPV, cameras, movies, GPS, etc. For this contingent of our membership, flying these is really no different than flying the traditional RC helicopter as the main focus is the actual flying. To me, this really only makes it much more difficult to define what is "drone" and what is traditional aero modeling.

Regards,

Astro
Hi AstroHog ,

I'm with you on this , I have posted several times my opinion on the word drone .

It's my belief that a model aircraft is flown for the sheer fun of flying it only , with no other mission attached . A drone can be the exact same technology , but is being flown for a specific paid for purpose . Flying a quad under #550 FPV and not selling the flight video ? That's a model aircraft . Fly the same quad , take the same flight video , but sell it , now it's a drone .

It should be pretty easy under that definition to determine drone vs model aircraft operations . And yes , the poor "Space X" rocket that just blew up ? Yep , commercially paid unmanned equipment flying a specific mission , Yes Sir , they just lost the biggest drone of them all ....
Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Really ? Your into Vespa scooters ? That was my wife's , we bought it brand new , a Vespa 250GTS ie that was the best running little machine ever . It was , at the time , the biggest Vespa sold , although the parent company , Piaggio , had a 500 cc scooter that was branded only with the Piaggio name and wasn't sold as a Vespa . The 250cc Vespa would hit 70 easily and was required to be registered as a regular motorcycle due to being over 50cc . The "ie" designation meant Injected/Electronic , it had fully computer controlled fuel injection and spark timing with CVT transmission . I actually tried the 500cc scooter , it hit 90 MPH , ONCE , and with little 15" wheels it felt like "takeoff speed" and I never went that fast on it again .

Sadly , I have no other photo of the Vespa , after the wife got bored with the motorcycling hobby we sold it to a nice young couple from upstate New York ....
Right? Totally into them...the older the better. Grew up on them living overseas, you'd be surprised how many people can fit on these. Almost bought one like this a years ago like this, ended up passing on the deal and got my Porsche instead. Toss up as to which would have cost more in repairs bills.

Back on topic now, promise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13-11.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2106330  
Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Yea, and as their poster boys they can use the yahoos who shut down the firefighting airplanes in California because they wanted to see the forest fires up close. How many houses will get burned down because of that?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Oh, they will have plenty of examples to use that's for sure.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Yea, and as their poster boys they can use the yahoos who shut down the firefighting airplanes in California because they wanted to see the forest fires up close. How many houses will get burned down because of that?
Their not the problem we the ones that are footing the bill and questioning the AMA spending are.

Mike
Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are getting tight on money I'd like to see then reconsider the price for the lifetime membership. Set up a tiered lifetime membership. It doesn't seem quite right to me that a 20 year old has the same price as a 60 year old for a lifetime. Maybe they could put in a ice skating ring to generate some extra income when it's cold up north.

Teasing.. We all know this is just hot air posted here that will come to no avail.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi AstroHog ,

I'm with you on this , I have posted several times my opinion on the word drone .

It's my belief that a model aircraft is flown for the sheer fun of flying it only , with no other mission attached . A drone can be the exact same technology , but is being flown for a specific paid for purpose . Flying a quad under #550 FPV and not selling the flight video ? That's a model aircraft . Fly the same quad , take the same flight video , but sell it , now it's a drone .

It should be pretty easy under that definition to determine drone vs model aircraft operations . And yes , the poor "Space X" rocket that just blew up ? Yep , commercially paid unmanned equipment flying a specific mission , Yes Sir , they just lost the biggest drone of them all ....
While I agree with the definitions used here, they actually explicitly address why the FAA has been and is looking at us (AMA) and why we must take action to protect the hobby. First their assumptions that were the causes belie for the litigation would have pretty much gutted our hobby. Secondly, and much more importantly, we HAVE to create some vehicle to prevent local authorities from inadvertently outlawing model aviation which has almost happened in several cases I am aware of and each one was driven by a quad copter and public misconception. The general public has great difficulty discriminating between modeling and commercial services and bad (or at least low integrity) actors have not helped us in that regard.

The issue is actually much bigger and more important that "right" or "wrong" in that it deals with perceptions, both at various levels of government and the general public. Couple that with the great many reported safety concerns and hazards presented to the general public (flying or not) and we have a problem that needs to be addressed and that takes funding and attention.

When Jane Doe calls the cops to complain about a peeping tom because Little Johnny is flying his quad copter in his back yard at about 20 feet we have a problem. We have a much bigger problem when Jane Doe goes to city council and insists that the use and ownership of that type of equipment be outlawed. I know of at least one case where that is exactly what occurred. I also have heard of idiot drone operators taking off in their back yard and flying over federal facilities. I am waiting to hear how that worked for him.

And ALL of that is before you even open the privacy can of worms
Old 06-29-2015, 12:06 PM
rcmiket

The article also mentioned the economic recovery as a reason for the increase as we could afford it now. Recovery where? Every economic number posted is rubbish and fabricated. The jobs numbers are a perfect example unemployment claims are dropping because the numbers don't count the ones who have exhausted their benefits or have just given up. I'd like to know where the recovery is.

Mike
Old 06-29-2015, 02:02 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The article also mentioned the economic recovery as a reason for the increase as we could afford it now. Recovery where? Every economic number posted is rubbish and fabricated. The jobs numbers are a perfect example unemployment claims are dropping because the numbers don't count the ones who have exhausted their benefits or have just given up. I'd like to know where the recovery is.

Mike
RCikeT:
U have to take TV, Magazine, and news paper articals with a grain of salt. Few if any have everything correct. U also have thet Journalists of all kinds are completely Ignorant of the details of anything they are reporting on. Weather it is a car chase fire or my particular favorite, Full Scale Plane crash or incident... 99% Nosed Dived right into the ground after the witness herd the motor sputtering. Gimmie a Brake.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 PM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

Before increasing dues, where else can they tighten their belt to save money. Everyone and every company/organization wastes money. Let's looks at that before an increase.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
RCikeT:
U have to take TV, Magazine, and news paper articals with a grain of salt. Few if any have everything correct. U also have thet Journalists of all kinds are completely Ignorant of the details of anything they are reporting on. Weather it is a car chase fire or my particular favorite, Full Scale Plane crash or incident... 99% Nosed Dived right into the ground after the witness herd the motor sputtering. Gimmie a Brake.
I don't belive the main stream media. I also don't belive the AMA saying the financial state of the country has improved. Thanks Anyway.

Mike
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My financial state hasn't improved. I'm not seeing any benefit being a member. Maybe I'll give up model airplane building all together.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
My financial state hasn't improved. I'm not seeing any benefit being a member. Maybe I'll give up model airplane building all together.
You certainly don't have to be a member to enjoy the hobby. Maybe you can use you building skills to finance the hobby. We have a couple of guys in our club who actually don't like to fly all that much anymore but love to build, repair, and modify stuff. They do a couple of jobs a year and more than pay for their dues to the AMA and club. Or you could just keep building, or mentoring new builders, etc.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:10 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i signed up for 2 yrs after that they can go jump in a lake ill be 85 then ill fly off the side streets close buy me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.