Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:47 PM
drb101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you could drop the mandantory magazine subscription and offer lower rate dues to us whom not care to receive it?

Also note my soon to be 19 year old son lives with me and now we receive two of the same magazines, really not needed.

Last edited by drb101; 07-03-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:26 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad idea especially if there are multiple people in the house that are members. I believe you can however opt out of getting the mag, not 100% how, I seem to recall that option being there though.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:38 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Maybe you don't know how they have, or will continue to spend the money. If you, or the "we" you seem to be speaking of haven't done your due diligence, then so be it, the "I heard from someone...", and sweeping generalizations will continue. Ironically, the comments I was referring to were written almost a full YEAR after decisions were made. Blank check? What? Did he not read the meeting notes from last year, or he did and missed the info, or perhaps saw them...but who knows.

Earlier you spoke of "we", and now you speak on my behalf, telling me what I know or don't know? You really shouldn't. If you, or others don't have a "clue" what's going on, that's on you. Do your own research and ask the questions to develop your information, then do with it what you will. I can read meeting notes and get a general idea of the money being spent, where it's going, and the time-frame for this. If I want further information, I ask for it. It takes some time and effort, but I think it's worth it. That way I can make the decisions I feel are best for me, and hopefully the hobby. I find it helps me to not speak in generalizations, or absolutes.

Given your comments here, as well as MrMatts, we appear to have differing opinions, as will happen. Although I disagree, I sincerely applaud you and Matt for wanting to do more than just complain. You've already reached out to your DVP, and MrMatt seems to be indicating familiarity with the EC and the AMA, and that change can happen (and I'm guessing he feels like he can make that happen). last year a member here wasn't pleased with what was going on in his District and threw his hat in the ring to run for office and try to get things changed. This is what the hobby needs now, more people to get involved. The vote to spend the money was split (Vlll and X voting no), and passed because of the the tiebreaker vote. If nothing fruitful comes of money and effort after 17 months, perhaps the members will speak to this and change will happen. I personally don't think the 17 months was long enough, but the only thing we can do at this point is wait to see.
Last year the EC voted to spend the 250 thousand. In the article about the dues increase they say they have spent over a million dollars and have hired a PR firm to deal with the Feds. That's a additional 750 thousand+. My whole point is just how much will we spend on this? Nobody knows. That's pretty much "blank check" check spending anyway you cut it. I'm researching this along with questioning just what's going on. Your happy and feel it's "money well spent" and I'm the guy looking to keep them in check and held responsible for their actions with OUR money. As far as the time frame many here (myself included) will renew for 2 years and reevaluate the situation. In 2 years if they lose a bunch of us due to poor decision making than what? Is it not our responsibility to try and keep the organization healthy for the next generation of modelers?
I'm curious at what dollar amount spent do you go "hey what's going on here"? I've been involved since day one when the 250 thousand was spent and immediately contacted D8 for answers .

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-04-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:48 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by drb101
Maybe you could drop the mandantory magazine subscription and offer lower rate dues to us whom not care to receive it?

Also note my soon to be 19 year old son lives with me and now we receive two of the same magazines, really not needed.
Your right, 2 magazines to the same household is waste and should be corrected. I also thought you could opt out.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-04-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

there are lots of places you can fly just look around you one mile from my home is a dead end street 2 city blocks long open fields both sides i fly there sometimes no trouble>>> i signed up for 2 yrs at the same price after that no more ama for meill be 86 then and i fly very good so far
Old 07-04-2015, 06:39 AM
freddy s
My Feedback: (33)

Default dues

Just to clarify my situation so I don't get lynched.The field in question is a city run field,They require you purchase a permit.To be able to purchase a permit you must have an AMA card.I just don't see purchasing this and being restricted in what and when I can fly.I did all my flying in the mid to late afternoon hours.Can no longer do that because fuel planes are not allowed in that time frame.The mornings are out because of family issues that are pressing.Also not allowed to fly on sundays or national holidays.As a Vietnam Veteran and not being able to use the field on days like Memorial day,Veterans day,July fourth is a bit unsettleing.There were two clubs that used this field but not have disbanded.Going electric is an option if someone is willing to send me their Visa card,I will get right on it.Sorry for the rant but I guess I am getting to be a grumpy old man.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Last year the EC voted to spend the 250 thousand. In the article about the dues increase they say they have spent over a million dollars and have hired a PR firm to deal with the Feds. That's a additional 750 thousand+. My whole point is just how much will we spend on this? Nobody knows. That's pretty much "blank check" check spending anyway you cut it. I'm researching this along with questioning just what's going on. Your happy and feel it's "money well spent" and I'm the guy looking to keep them in check and held responsible for their actions with OUR money. As far as the time frame many here (myself included) will renew for 2 years and reevaluate the situation. In 2 years if they lose a bunch of us due to poor decision making than what? Is it not our responsibility to try and keep the organization healthy for the next generation of modelers?
I'm curious at what dollar amount spent do you go "hey what's going on here"? I've been involved since day one when the 250 thousand was spent and immediately contacted D8 for answers .

Mike
There won't be a next generation of modelers if the AMA doesn't invest in the future. As has been pointed out to you several times in this thread if you're that concerned about "our" money then run for a leadership position in the AMA and cast your vote on how the dollars are spent.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why not donate one to the local library? Just maybe some young kids would find it interesting....
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
There won't be a next generation of modelers if the AMA doesn't invest in the future. As has been pointed out to you several times in this thread if you're that concerned about "our" money then run for a leadership position in the AMA and cast your vote on how the dollars are spent.
I have no problem with Mark our D8 guy. He's as concerned as I am and willing to talk with us about our concerns. He voted against the 250 thousand. I want all of us involved the more the better.Unfortunately from what Mark told me they (the EC) don't get input from the membership. If we run the well dry there will be no next generation. Most just just back and complain it's the same on the local club level I'd really like more people involved.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-04-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I have no problem with Mark our D8 guy. He's as concerned as I am and willing to talk with us about our concerns. He voted against the 250 thousand. I want all of us involved the more the better.Unfortunately from what Mark told me they (the EC) don't get input from the membership. If we run the well dry there will be no next generation.
Mike
Obviously, you and your supporters were out numbered and the vote carried. Obviously, it was very close. If you fill the well with poor judgement there will be no next generation either. The vote carried, in the big scheme of things $250k isn't all that much money. Give it time and lets see how it works out....
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM
rcmiket

Obviously, you and your supporters were out numbered and the vote carried. Obviously, it was very close. If you fill the well with poor judgement there will be no next generation either. The vote carried, in the big scheme of things $250k isn't all that much money. Give it time and lets see how it works out....
Well how about the other 750 thousand plus the PR firm hired? Where will the spending end? What's the plan? Lots of questions here Yes the vote was close the tie broken by the EC President. Apparently there is concern throughout the membership.This whole what's the big deal attitude amazes me.
Mike
Old 07-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well how about the other 750 thousand plus the PR firm hired? Where will the spending end? What's the plan? Lots of questions here Yes the vote was close the tie broken by the EC President. Apparently there is concern throughout the membership.This whole what's the big deal attitude amazes me.
Mike
I thought you spoke to Mark, your D8 AMA representative. What did he say when you asked him? If you have questions about the AMA why then why not ask the AMA?

The whole nickle and diming attitude amazes me too. It's 2015, a loaf of bread isn't a nickle anymore. You can't hire a good PR firm for minimum wage. If it wasn't for the AMA and the money spent on the lobbyists for the FAA the hobby might be permanently grounded right now
Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM
rcmiket

I thought you spoke to Mark, your D8 AMA representative. What did he say when you asked him? If you have questions about the AMA why then why not ask the AMA?

The whole nickle and diming attitude amazes me too. It's 2015, a loaf of bread isn't a nickle anymore. You can't hire a good PR firm for minimum wage. If it wasn't for the AMA and the money spent on the lobbyists for the FAA the hobby might be permanently grounded right now
When Mark called me earlier this week I was and still am on vacation. We decided to try and set up a local meeting to discuss this issue in depth when I return. As far as the AMA hiring "lobbyists" do you really think a that we as a organization have the kind of money it takes to buy that kinda influence in DC? My whole purpose by posting here is to try and get more to be involved with what's going on. No matter what side of this topic making your feelings known to those in charge of the purse-strings should be a priority as the more inquiries they receive the more likely we'll get answers.
As far as us being grounded the ones causing all the issues would fly regardless if were grounded or not.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-04-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

As far as the AMA hiring "lobbyists" do you really think a that we as a organization have the kind of money it takes to buy that kinda influence in DC?

As far as us being grounded the ones causing all the issues would fly regardless if were grounded or not.

Mike
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I'm glad the AMA has hired lobbyists and I'm glad to see my dues going to protect "our" hobby. I'm glad to see dues going up as well.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:15 PM
rcmiket

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I'm glad the AMA has hired lobbyists and I'm glad to see my dues going to protect "our" hobby. I'm glad to see dues going up as well.
Ya know what I'm very happy your happy, Why not pony up your enthusiasm and do the lifetime membership? As for me and many others we'll see in a couple of years.
Have to go now and tend to the ribs everyone have a great 4th.
Mike
Old 07-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, I did char dogs tonight, tomorrow I got ribs. Got to agree with rcmiket.
Tom
Old 07-05-2015, 03:41 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I think the last time AMA allowed opting out of the magazine doing so reduced your dues $4. If memory serves....
Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

That's great, you will likely be ecstatic in the future to come...
Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I have no problem with Mark our D8 guy. He's as concerned as I am and willing to talk with us about our concerns. He voted against the 250 thousand. I want all of us involved the more the better.Unfortunately from what Mark told me they (the EC) don't get input from the membership. If we run the well dry there will be no next generation. Most just just back and complain it's the same on the local club level I'd really like more people involved.

Mike
There's a system in place for that.

Find your local AVP (though you've already talked to Mark directly) they should take their local clubs concern to their VP who should express it at the council.

You've done exactly what you should do, discuss your concerns, thats how they know.

Others shouldn't gripe here, they should find out who local to them can express those views to their district rep or contact the DVP directly.

These guys are just modelers that want to help run the organization and everyone I've met or talked to which is most current VP's and EC members, are more than willing to talk AMA issues, or their current modeling projects just like anyone else at the club field.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
There's a system in place for that.

Find your local AVP (though you've already talked to Mark directly) they should take their local clubs concern to their VP who should express it at the council.

You've done exactly what you should do, discuss your concerns, thats how they know.

Others shouldn't gripe here, they should find out who local to them can express those views to their district rep or contact the DVP directly.

These guys are just modelers that want to help run the organization and everyone I've met or talked to which is most current VP's and EC members, are more than willing to talk AMA issues, or their current modeling projects just like anyone else at the club field.

+1
While I may not agree with the position some have taken on it, at least they are getting directly involved and doing something more than just complaining. I personally think fighting this effort now is not worthwhile, as someone said earlier it's out there and something we have to deal with, so why not make the best of it while it's here. Welcome new members even if they are just into rotary.multirotor craft, an/or encourage safe flying wherever possible. We are going to host a group of CAP cadets at our field for Model Aviation Day, they expressed an interest in FPV and fixed wing flying as well.

Also, just got the July MA mag, it comes late here. Page 128 has the Money Matters article by Keith Sessions and he discusses some of the issues we have noted here.

Last edited by porcia83; 07-06-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Dokesflyer

Simply call the Membership Department and ask for the "Extra Family" option. No magazine and $30 for an extra adult in the same household.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdf

Last edited by Dokesflyer; 07-06-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM
rcmiket

Got back into town last night and visited with the other local club president this morning he mentioned their members had the same concerns as our guys. We have a new field opening in the near future up the road and looks like that might be a good place to hold our "town hall" with Mark from D8 on this issue, Now I've got to put it together.

Mike
Old 07-07-2015, 03:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I don't agree with all your views but you're definitely going about it the right way.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Got back into town last night and visited with the other local club president this morning he mentioned their members had the same concerns as our guys. We have a new field opening in the near future up the road and looks like that might be a good place to hold our "town hall" with Mark from D8 on this issue, Now I've got to put it together.

Mike
Now this is something that you don't hear about everyday....can you expand on that? Private club on private land, or town/city/state owned? AMA involved at all? Tough to make all the moving parts come together to get new fields in the New England area, between finding new members, land etc.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Now this is something that you don't hear about everyday....can you expand on that? Private club on private land, or town/city/state owned? AMA involved at all? Tough to make all the moving parts come together to get new fields in the New England area, between finding new members, land etc.
3 clubs in the local area.
The newest one in Las Cruces NM is being built by the city/county by using funds from new construction earmarked for parks and from what I understand the AMA insurance helped as far as that goes. Since I'm not a member I can't really tell the story on how it got done. I took a very long time though.

The El Paso Radio Controllers also have a field on BLM land. I'm also not a member there but they do require AMA.

My club The Horizon City Flyers was featured in MA as one of the success story's. We are a AMA Chartered club and require insurance( AMA or Homeowners). I've attached a PDF or just goggle us up.
Fields can be built and held it just takes work and perseverance nothing gets done overnight. .

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HorizonCityRCFlyers.pdf (211.8 KB, 29 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.