Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Old 07-07-2015, 02:03 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir, an interesting read I'll take a closer look at tonight.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I don't agree with all your views but you're definitely going about it the right way.
I honestly believe there is no right or wrong here.None of us questioning the AMA on the planned course of action or just what will we spend are bad guys or hate the AMA. Were just concerned modelers who belong to a organization that we support with our dues. With that said we want more information as to just what the plan is and how it will be executed and I'm willing to go the extra mile get that information. .

Mike
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM
cordell staker

I retired from a company that over 30 years raised it's rates over 300% with annual rate increases from 8 to 11 percent. We were almost a monopoly…but as time wore on the rate increases fell on the shoulders of the past good loyal customers over and over. There was not a big enough influx of new customers willing to pay the higher rates, to sustain the growth quotas set by the company. We reached the point where we were a true oligopoly. With each new rate increase we lost a proportional number of customers from our base. The old base was tired of paying the freight.

I wonder if with the dynamic growth of the drone industry and hobby drone sales should not be the most excellent target of the AMA for the generation of new money. So there are 175,000 members of the AMA, up from 172,000 last year. I dare say that half of the 175,000 are over 55…and slowly dying off. I believe there are more than 175,000 additional drone only pilots who are not members of the AMA. That should be the marketing target of the AMA. Not rate increases on the old loyal members… chase the new money! Give hobby stores incentives to sell AMA along with the super Go-Pro drone.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, I would have to agree. There are a lot of expenditures that I think are unnecessary. I can not imagine asking a newcomer, or teenager to spend $75 to fly a model airplane. Something is out of whack. I particularly dislike the idea that I have to pay extra in order to fight for the right to fly a model airplane because of the fact that drone flyers are giving us a bad name. Most of them are not buying an A.M.A membership. We're being penalized by the actions of some non members. It's not right. But I've been put in my place, I'm just a lowly sport flyer with an opinion and don't really have any right to my thoughts. Heck, it's only a 29% increase, "Why are you complaining Tom"?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cordell staker
I retired from a company that over 30 years raised it's rates over 300% with annual rate increases from 8 to 11 percent. We were almost a monopoly…but as time wore on the rate increases fell on the shoulders of the past good loyal customers over and over. There was not a big enough influx of new customers willing to pay the higher rates, to sustain the growth quotas set by the company. We reached the point where we were a true oligopoly. With each new rate increase we lost a proportional number of customers from our base. The old base was tired of paying the freight.

I wonder if with the dynamic growth of the drone industry and hobby drone sales should not be the most excellent target of the AMA for the generation of new money. So there are 175,000 members of the AMA, up from 172,000 last year. I dare say that half of the 175,000 are over 55…and slowly dying off. I believe there are more than 175,000 additional drone only pilots who are not members of the AMA. That should be the marketing target of the AMA. Not rate increases on the old loyal members… chase the new money! Give hobby stores incentives to sell AMA along with the super Go-Pro drone.
Great points,especially the "greying" of our organization . As I have posted as a retailer I see who's buying these and when we mention the dos and don't s it goes in one ear and out the other. We give them directions to the field invite them out to try and help them along with educate them and their gone ( unless they need help with parts). When telling them about the AMA dues and Club they ask about cost and just walk away. These people are not and will never be modelers. The fixed wing and heli newbies need and look for help and guidance. From first hand experience I just don't see them ever joining the AMA and forget the clubs they can fly wherever they want and will regardless of the rules in place. Were footing the bill fighting for a group that will never join our ranks no less respect any laws in place or are past in the future.
The AMA needs to let the members know just what the game plan is and how they will implement it along with a dollar amount they intend to spend.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 07-08-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe they should sell that big fancy building they built to help fund this..
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM
TimJ

Where would you hold the Nats then?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnVH
Maybe they should sell that big fancy building they built to help fund this..
And then the staff goes where?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Yeah, I would have to agree. There are a lot of expenditures that I think are unnecessary. I can not imagine asking a newcomer, or teenager to spend $75 to fly a model airplane. Something is out of whack. I particularly dislike the idea that I have to pay extra in order to fight for the right to fly a model airplane because of the fact that drone flyers are giving us a bad name. Most of them are not buying an A.M.A membership. We're being penalized by the actions of some non members. It's not right. But I've been put in my place, I'm just a lowly sport flyer with an opinion and don't really have any right to my thoughts. Heck, it's only a 29% increase, "Why are you complaining Tom"?
Teens up to 18 or 19 don't pay anything nada nothing it all "FREE" Trouble is most kids can't afford the hobby un less their parent is involved. Besides what would U suggest we do to get the FAA off our backs because of a few Drone Pilots that aren't even members of the AMA. This hobby ain't cheep and I'd gladly pay anything it takes to keep the FEDs at bay. With out the AMA we'd be Stuffed as the Aussies say.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 PM
JohnVH

Originally Posted by TimJ
Lots of venues out there

Originally Posted by porcia83
Somewhere more affordable.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of venues out there

ORIGINAL: jefflangton
Time to bend over and let your head pop out!!!!

Dang, maybe they should build more?

btw, what's the nats?

Last edited by jonkoppisch; 07-08-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

I DID SEND FOR MY 2 YR AMA BUT AFTER THAT ILL FLY WHERE EVER I CAN ill be 86 then no more ama after that
Old 07-08-2015, 01:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Lots of venues out there

Like where? Perhaps they can share an office in a strip mall?

Anyone got actual figures or does it just seem easy to say get rid of everything that costs money. Sometimes it's easier to own something than to rent.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:31 PM
JohnVH

How else will you pay their huge salaries as well? Not to mention the over a million dollar building..

2008 numbers (you can be assured its more now..)

From the 2008 AMA tax return:

Craig Schroeder, Comptroller $26,923
Diana Garza , comptroller $67,784
Jim Cherry , Executive Director $125,260
JOYCE HAGER , ASST EXEC DIRECTOR $107,727

Compensation of current officers, directors , trustees, and key employees $353,453 (above named included)

Other salaries and wages $1,630,394 (40 to 50 employees)

Other employee benefits $283,761

I assume it has increased since 2008.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With our club of over 100 I'd bet not over 4 members have ever been to Muncie. And probably just a few more than that knows what the nats is? The average member at our field has some 40 sz planes and probably a couple electrics. The AMA to them is strictly something that the club makes them get to be able to fly there...

Added: The nats is great for a select few.... The nats to me is Joe Nall!

Last edited by jonkoppisch; 07-08-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:48 PM
JohnVH

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
The AMA to them is strictly something that the club makes them get to be able to fly there...
ONLY reason I have it, we do have one local club that has their own local insurance.. Remember people, AMA is only SECONDARY insurance, they will do everything in their power to NOT PAY
Old 07-08-2015, 03:10 PM
TimJ

ONLY reason I have it, we do have one local club that has their own local insurance.. Remember people, AMA is only SECONDARY insurance, they will do everything in their power to NOT PAY
Lets back up here John VH. AMA is primary insurance for those that don't have Home Owners Insurance or those that do have Home Owners Insurance that do not cover model aircraft. I have yet to ever sit through an AMA EC (at the AMA Expo) meeting where the AMA say we are trying to not pay this claim. That is a 100 percent false accusation you are trying to chum the water with.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:58 PM
rcmiket

AMA say we are trying to not pay this claim. That is a 100 percent false accusation you are trying to chum the water with.
Every insurance company tries not to pay. The AMA is nothing more than a policy holder and has absolutely nothing to say about what claims get paid and which ones do not.

Mike
Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Wrong. On both accounts. Do you deal with the AMA and their insurance process, or is this just another generalization based on stories you've heard from other people.

As for the "million dollar building"...LOL...it's a headquarters. Know of many buildings now a days that aren't worth a million dollars?

So is your proposal that they find a strip mall location and pay minimum wages? What's your alternative?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Every insurance company tries not to pay. The AMA is nothing more than a policy holder and has absolutely nothing to say about what claims get paid and which ones do not.

Mike
LoL..sounds like a reasonable business plan for every insurance company.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 PM
rcmiket

LoL..sounds like a reasonable business plan for every insurance company.
I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe.. Any little reason they can find not to pay. They love to take your premium but prefer that funds go only in their direction.

Mike
Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok
Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe.. Any little reason they can find not to pay. They love to take your premium but prefer that funds go only in their direction.

Mike
depends on how you look at it but AMA is self insured for the first quarter million, if I recall correctly... So they are sort of an insurance company in some sense.... Fwiw I know of one case where a previous AMA AVP testified as paid expert witness to have an AMA member's claim denied.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok
What a great movie, right up there with 12 Angry Men. Thanks for that reference.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:06 AM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Teens up to 18 or 19 don't pay anything nada nothing it all "FREE" Trouble is most kids can't afford the hobby un less their parent is involved. Besides what would U suggest we do to get the FAA off our backs because of a few Drone Pilots that aren't even members of the AMA. This hobby ain't cheep and I'd gladly pay anything it takes to keep the FEDs at bay. With out the AMA we'd be Stuffed as the Aussies say.

That is precisely what we have been taking about: spend a little money educating the media, the public and the law makers on the fact that the fast growing LARGE GROUP of DRONE users are NOT US: we, at the AMA, have been practicing model aviation for close to 80 years, and have been rather trouble free. That would cost much less than embracing, and lobbying on behalf of, a fast growing number of DRONE users who have no incentive to join the AMA and follow the AMA guidelines: what DRONE pilots enjoy is flying wherever they want, how they want, and often taking pictures or videos of whatever they want.
What incentive would they have to pay any money to join an organization that will tell them that should not be doing what they do the way they do it: such as they should fly at designated flying sites, in line of sight, with a spotter, in a safe manner that is consistent with safe flying for model aviation.
The multirotor guys (or girls) who fly at the field are not the issue: these are flying a heli with more than one main rotor and are simply not the problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.