Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waco
Yes its attitudes like this that is going ruin RC today, clubs are losing members every year, our club used to be pushing 100 members and now there are only 20 and of that only 5 or 6 that are active. other clubs in the area are having the same problems with membership falling off, its just not cost of AMA but everything is going higher and it will soon be the hobby of a select few.
Agreed ... It's not the Nickle per day that is causing a drop in membership. How many of your club members have passed on or become infirmed. How many old geezers discourage young people from joining. Does your club embrace new members or even have an Instructor organization to help the Newbies. Do one or more of your long time member have a "Potty Mouth". That's one of the biggest cause of the lack of Family partition. Think about it. Membership changes for many different reasons.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
If a significant number of members jump on the 2 year deal than it could be 3 years till we see just what the increase will do to the numbers. Most I've spoke with are doing just that and in 2 years look at just were we are as a organization. Unless the AMA becomes more transparent and open with the members they could face a real issue in a few years. Banking on the "drone" crowd to jump on board is foolish thinking on their part IMO.

Mike
Now we're predicting bad things two and three years ahead of time? And you seem to think the whole AMA plan is to now bank on the "drone" crowd to jump on board? C'mon...are you privy to AMA membership strategy more than the next guy, or is this just your thinking? That they didn't shun potential members (not matter how many), doesn't automatically mean their future plans for success rest with that group. Sorry, just seems like more doom and gloom. The reality is they are here to stay, nothing anyone says or does will alter that fact. That the AMA doesn't lay bare every document outlining every strategy and budget also doesn't equate to a lack of transparency, the information is there if asked for. Perhaps they can do more in terms of effectively communicating what they are doing, and what the results or those actions are.

It would be nice to see membership continue to grow, but I suspect it will be flat overall. The membership dues are not going to cause and loss of net members, nor preclude anyone from joining (from a statistically relevant posture). I think more people will come to the hobby overall as a result of new technologies, including multi-rotors. How many join AMA and then clubs...who knows?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Agreed ... It's not the Nickle per day that is causing a drop in membership. How many of your club members have passed on or become infirmed. How many old geezers discourage young people from joining. Does your club embrace new members or even have an Instructor organization to help the Newbies. Do one or more of your long time member have a "Potty Mouth". That's one of the biggest cause of the lack of Family partition. Think about it. Membership changes for many different reasons.
There is an ebb and flow I suspect with many clubs. The question should always be though, is there value in joining this club, and will both parties benefit from membership? There is a club close to the main one I fly at that has been dwindling down for the past few years, down to about 25 now. I suspect there are several reasons why. 5 years ago the club I'm at had a membership cap of 125 (why, I don't know), then they kicked helis out....lost a good chunk of members right after that (and many of those were the folks who helped at events). 4 years later helis are back in, our membership exceeds 180, and we continue to manage our growth wisely. Then again, we could lose 50 people to another club...there are not shortage of them in this state.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

my concern is the AMA is like the federal government, they spend what they have and will want more in the future. How long before another increase? and another? Its like my property taxes, every year they want more, they say its only a small increase but after 22 years of small increases my property taxes are outrages.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Waco
my concern is the AMA is like the federal government, they spend what they have and will want more in the future. How long before another increase? and another? Its like my property taxes, every year they want more, they say its only a small increase but after 22 years of small increases my property taxes are outrages.
Well let's see...when was the last time they asked for an increase? The answer will probably give you a good idea that this doesn't appear to be a money grab where all will be spent.

Comparing this to property taxes doesn't seem like apples to apples, if for no other reason that they haven't increased dues every year. But even so...what your propery taxes go to fund have undoubtedly changed in 22 years. Any services you get different now than you did 22 years ago? Think the AMA is doing anything different now than they did 22 years ago?

Perhaps this would have gone down better if more routine,and smaller increases were asked for instead of going a longer period of time and then asking for it. Combined with the multi-rotor issues the timing was...off?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
Well let's see...when was the last time they asked for an increase? The answer will probably give you a good idea that this doesn't appear to be a money grab where all will be spent.

Comparing this to property taxes doesn't seem like apples to apples, if for no other reason that they haven't increased dues every year. But even so...what your propery taxes go to fund have undoubtedly changed in 22 years. Any services you get different now than you did 22 years ago? Think the AMA is doing anything different now than they did 22 years ago?

Perhaps this would have gone down better if more routine,and smaller increases were asked for instead of going a longer period of time and then asking for it. Combined with the multi-rotor issues the timing was...off?
Do U Think it Just costs more to do the same thing done years ago. Not Really, Inflation just's makes it seam so. Actually the price of our hobby has gone down over the years. $600 for 2 channel radio now costs $50 for 4 channels with reversing and digital trims. A Real Bargain I'd Say.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Now we're predicting bad things two and three years ahead of time? And you seem to think the whole AMA plan is to now bank on the "drone" crowd to jump on board? C'mon...are you privy to AMA membership strategy more than the next guy, or is this just your thinking?
I can read, by the AMA's own admission they have spent over a million on this issue (drones) along with hiring a PR firm due to them. I would also venture a guess that a majority of AMA members don't have a clue that their dues are going up. In December we may get a better feel for how this all received.

"We have had to spend
more than $1 million on
government relations to keep
model aviation free of onerous
restrictions and regulations.
We have recently hired a
public relations fi rm to help
promote model aviation in
the media and to limit bad
press caused by irresponsible
operations by non members
Neither of these expenses
existed in 2003 and they will
likely increase in the years
ahead."

I'm not predicting anything just reading the handwriting on the wall. You think this problem is going to disappear overnight? Just how much will all this cost? Am I privy to information no, but I do talk in depth with fellow modelers along with other club officers that along with the tone of all these threads is not positive toward how the AMA is handling this.
How about you what does your crystal ball reveal?;

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

I am glad you asked....I'm going to shake my magic 8-ball (old school)...then do some flying, and I'll be back later to tell you almost exactly what's going to happen. Right after this message from our sponsor!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Any discussion here just fall on deaf ears. Vote carefully next time.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Any discussion here just fall on deaf ears. Vote carefully next time.
Along with making your displeasure known to those in charge now. There is strength in numbers.

Mike
Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Lock in your dues with a lifetime membership, problem solved! Wish I did that 25 years ago when I started.

Bart
Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM
HoundDog

Along with making your displeasure known to those in charge now. There is strength in numbers.

Mike
We can't get anyone to agree on anything right here on these forums how in the world can u get 175000 AMA members to all think alike much do anything about ... I'll bet most of the guys u fly with don't even give a crap one way or the other. Take a poll next time your at the field or a club meeting. Don't get mad I'm just asking.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

* Paying membership is around 120,000
Old 08-06-2015, 06:16 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=BrightGarden;12081052]* Paying membership is around 120,000[
/QUOTE]
and it should be fairly easy to all think the same way .. again just asking.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Well HoundDog, that is something I can agree with you.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:01 AM
rcmiket

We can't get anyone to agree on anything right here on these forums how in the world can u get 175000 AMA members to all think alike much do anything about ... I'll bet most of the guys u fly with don't even give a crap one way or the other. Take a poll next time your at the field or a club meeting. Don't get mad I'm just asking.
Never said anyone has to agree but regardless of your position in favor or against any issue the AMA backs we should get involved and let them know how we feel. It's our organization and we are the AMA. Some locals here don't care but the majority is not happy about it.

Mike
Old 08-07-2015, 06:09 AM
HoundDog

Never said anyone has to agree but regardless of your position in favor or against any issue the AMA backs we should get involved and let them know how we feel. It's our organization and we are the AMA. Some locals here don't care but the majority is not happy about it.

Mike
PLZ tell us what "U" would have us do?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:35 AM
rcmiket

PLZ tell us what "U" would have us do?
"we should get involved and let them know how we feel. It's our organization and we are the AMA."

Thought that was pretty clear.

Mike
Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Dokesflyer

I can read, by the AMA's own admission they have spent over a million on this issue (drones) along with hiring a PR firm due to them. I would also venture a guess that a majority of AMA members don't have a clue that their dues are going up. In December we may get a better feel for how this all received.

"We have had to spend
more than $1 million on
government relations to keep
model aviation free of onerous
restrictions and regulations.
We have recently hired a
public relations fi rm to help
promote model aviation in
the media and to limit bad
press caused by irresponsible
operations by non members
Neither of these expenses
existed in 2003 and they will
likely increase in the years
ahead."

I'm not predicting anything just reading the handwriting on the wall. You think this problem is going to disappear overnight? Just how much will all this cost? Am I privy to information no, but I do talk in depth with fellow modelers along with other club officers that along with the tone of all these threads is not positive toward how the AMA is handling this.
How about you what does your crystal ball reveal?;

Mike
Mike (aka rcmiket) you have stated here that " by AMA's own admission they have spent over a million on this issue (drones)." Could you please provide documentation of where the AMA has stated it has spent over one million dollars on this specific issue of (drones), as you put it?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

"we should get involved and let them know how we feel. It's our organization and we are the AMA."

Thought that was pretty clear.

Mike
Right...but to what end? Your district VP spoke to what I presume is your thoughts and feelings on the issue when he voted no. The vote ultimately was to move forward. I'm not sure what continuing to complain and "let them know how you feel" is going to matter. Whats the end game here....undo what has been done? Try to get the money back? Move to exclude quads? Of those choices, or some other you might have, what is the changes of any of those things happening? I'm not saying don't try to make a change you believe in...but what is the plan after being "heard" by the AMA?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Mike (aka rcmiket) you have stated here that " by AMA's own admission they have spent over a million on this issue (drones)." Could you please provide documentation of where the AMA has stated it has spent over one million dollars on this specific issue of (drones), as you put it?
It is in the last issue of MA.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

"....I'm not predicting anything just reading the handwriting on the wall. You think this problem is going to disappear overnight? Just how much will all this cost? Am I privy to information no, but I do talk in depth with fellow modelers along with other club officers that along with the tone of all these threads is not positive toward how the AMA is handling this.
How about you what does your crystal ball reveal?; ...."

Mike
So after going through a few packs last night, I came back home and shook the ball...the Magic 8 ball people. The result:

I’m going with that, because statistically it’s as good a guess as anyone here can make. I also happen to really believe that as well, honestly. Specifically with regards to the following:

FAA: nothing onerous or overly burdensome will come from any regulation, whenever that decision is made. We are but a very small player in this game, and yes we are hyper sensitive to how decisions being made on a global scale might adversely affect us. So far, that hasn’t happened. The situation wasn’t perfect, and isn’t perfect, but the AMA has skin in the game, and continues to be heard. The degree to which we are ultimately heard, time will tell. I submit if we were NOT in the game, things might not happen that would help us. Yes they have filed a lawsuit, but that doesn’t automatically mean the process will be adversarial and that the FAA will intentionally make things difficult. Litigation is sometimes a byproduct of advocacy and change, and sometimes it’s needed. For the majority of “us”…it will be business as usual.

AMA: will continue to be vilified no matter what they do. Do too much, bad. Do too little, bad. What is done is done, no amount of debate or discussion will negate that. Are they a perfect organization? No. Do they have the hobby’s best interest at heart, I believe they do. This isn’t a money grab, they have not behaved this way in the past, and I see nothing to indicate this regarding the “drones”. This was an attempt to welcome into the hobby a new method and means of flying, just as they have done over the past 70 plus years. Would it really have made sense to include a heli, that has one rotor, but say no to 3 rotored craft, or quad, because it had 2-3 more rotors? I’m sorry, that’s lunacy. The decision to spend money on education etc was a close one, but it was done. Will that kind of funding continue, probably yes. Will membership increase, yes. Will some people quit, absolutely. Will overall membership see any big swing either way, no. They will continue to play a role in, and partner with other entities to promote membership in the AMA, and help craft smart and safe usage guidelines. They will remain the subject matter expert on the issue. Look for a SIG designation, maybe 2015, probably no later than 2016.

I get that some people aren’t happy with the AMA’s involvement at this point; I’m just not sure what is going to be accomplished “fighting” the issue now. I would say it’s 99.9% certain nothing anyone does is going to shift focus on this matter. What percentage of membership is going to need to do something before things change, don’t know. Chances are though if you are in district that voted NO to AMA’s involvement in this; does it make sense to rally the troops to continue to say no? I say no.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8balldon'tlie.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2113136  
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM
su26

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy if you cant afford $75 to $100 a year for the AMA, who by the way does us a lot of good.
DON'T try going to a baseball or basketball game. DON'T even think you can afford golf.
You will never make it to Hawaii, but you may make a couple of movies............

If you cant afford the hobby, you better find something cheaper, like Ant farming.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...N_8900.313.pdf

Quick read through...so far nothing that seems overly harsh or restrictive on the hobby that will affect any significant portion of membership. I did see some commentary in their about a certain CBO though.....

Looks like some good stuff there, still some room for tweaking and improvement.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Dokesflyer

Originally Posted by Duncman
It is in the last issue of MA.
Could you provide a page please? I fail to find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.