Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:51 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dues went down not up. Not 3 years of growth
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received an e-mail I thought was interesting. I assume all AMA members did:

We have a special membership offer if you renew now. You may have heard the Open membership dues will increase to $75 on September 15.Our special membership offer allows you to lock-in at your current dues rate of $58 by renewing now or before September 14. And you have a choice to lock-in your dues for two years at $113 and save an additional $3.00

So $113/2yr sounds better to me than the $75/yr thats coming up.....at least it delays the pain and possibly allows us to see what happens with the Quads.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ovationdave
I just received an e-mail I thought was interesting. I assume all AMA members did:

We have a special membership offer if you renew now. You may have heard the Open membership dues will increase to $75 on September 15.Our special membership offer allows you to lock-in at your current dues rate of $58 by renewing now or before September 14. And you have a choice to lock-in your dues for two years at $113 and save an additional $3.00

So $113/2yr sounds better to me than the $75/yr thats coming up.....at least it delays the pain and possibly allows us to see what happens with the Quads.
WOW! You must be very special because I have not gotten that email.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:02 AM
mr_matt

The AMA could spend 10 cents or 10 million, it is not going to affect the outcome.

good intentions do not equal a good policy, while I agree with many of the intentions of the AMA, spending boatloads of cash flying around to conferences trying to pretend to be big players in this brave new world of drones is ridiculous.

It is not like we did not get a preview of this movie. The Park Pilot program had all of the same intentions. We just HAD to get these Park Pilots into the AMA fold.....same deal. Tons of money spent, for what?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:35 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Dues went down not up. Not 3 years of growth
Yes, my bad, they dipped slightly in the last year.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_matt
The AMA could spend 10 cents or 10 million, it is not going to affect the outcome.

good intentions do not equal a good policy, while I agree with many of the intentions of the AMA, spending boatloads of cash flying around to conferences trying to pretend to be big players in this brave new world of drones is ridiculous.

It is not like we did not get a preview of this movie. The Park Pilot program had all of the same intentions. We just HAD to get these Park Pilots into the AMA fold.....same deal. Tons of money spent, for what?
more members maybe? What is the downside of having Park Pilots in the fold? Don't know that anyone at the AMA is trying to be a "big player", but I'm guessing they feel like they can make some difference in how this turns out. Would be fair to say that if nothing bad happens to the hobby, it was money well spent, or do we need some type of definitive comments by the FAA saying "If it wasn't for the AMA being involved here, our other decisions might have been horrible for them". I'm thinking nothing bad happening rule/reg wise will be a "win" for us.

What would have been your suggestion though on how to deal with the issue?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:05 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ya, we're looking forward to it. Our field is close to Kaman Corp, the heli company. One day a guy shows up for one of our meetings and he's in a flight suit and I'm thinking, oh lord, someone has taken this flying thing a little to serious.Turns out he is the chief test pilot for Kaman and flies over our filed all the time, finally decided to see what it looked like from the ground. After some chatting, he mentioned being involved in the CAP...and it went from there!
We too, at the club I belong to in Apache Junction AZ. had/have a chief Test Pilot for Boeing.
He Did fly the AH-64 Apache (Retired). He put on a Demo one time, U would not believe what he could with that bird.
Too bad My Video Camera was back home.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:41 AM
mr_matt

more members maybe?
Yes at what cost to get each new member? Why not just give all new members US$50 bucks, we would get a lot of new members that way too. We got 50,000 new ones by signing up kids for free. Imagine how many we would get for 50 bucks each

Don't know that anyone at the AMA is trying to be a "big player", but I'm guessing they feel like they can make some difference in how this turns out.
The AMA thought that these rules would swell the AMA ranks by hundreds of thousands. They thought they could "license" our safety "program" rules to other CBOs and make tons of money. Big player mentality, with good intentions.

I'm thinking nothing bad happening rule/reg wise will be a "win" for us.
Can't prove a negative. The evidence does not show that the AMA has ever gotten ahead of any of this trend. We spent tons of money for years in FAA working groups, 4 weeks after signing an FAA/AMA MOU we ended up blindsided by the new FAA interpretation. The sole exception was drafting Section 336, and now we are even having to sue over that. Blew our foot off with the 5 mile limit language.

What would have been your suggestion though on how to deal with the issue?
Give the staff the same mission with 1/20 the budget. Don't hire lobbyists, don't travel to Vegas conferences, don't hire "government relations" experts, use email, webex etc etc.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

1/20th of the budget.....somehow I'm thinking that might not work out so well.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:08 PM
mr_matt

Good point, make it 1/50th
Old 08-13-2015, 02:23 PM
rcmiket

Well we'll never know unless they try will we? Cuts can be made we individuals do it everyday in our budgets. Funny how it works when your dealing with other peoples money it's just too easy to spend.

Mike
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Dokesflyer

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Well we'll never know unless they try will we? Cuts can be made we individuals do it everyday in our budgets. Funny how it works when your dealing with other peoples money it's just too easy to spend.

Mike
Apparently you have no clue as to cuts that have been made already.....
Old 08-13-2015, 03:20 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Apparently you have no clue as to cuts that have been made already.....

"We have evaluated and analyzed every aspect of our spending and “tightened our belt” in every way feasible. We have renegotiated with our vendors to reduce expenses or signed contracts with new vendors that could meet our terms. But that business strategy can only go on for so long before this begins to negatively affect the benefits and the level of service we provide our membership. The Executive Council and AMA staff will begin developing a new strategic plan in July that will be used to lead the organization during the next five to 10 years."

Please enlighten me I see nothing but " we've done a good job" that will get your butt fired in the real world.
. Apparently their "cuts" were not effective since we just got a dues increase along with fee increases from Charter fees to camping fees from the AMA. I've said it once and will say it again. This increase is not about offering us a better product.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-13-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree rcmiket
Old 08-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Dokesflyer

"We have evaluated and analyzed every aspect of our spending and “tightened our belt” in every way feasible. We have renegotiated with our vendors to reduce expenses or signed contracts with new vendors that could meet our terms. But that business strategy can only go on for so long before this begins to negatively affect the benefits and the level of service we provide our membership. The Executive Council and AMA staff will begin developing a new strategic plan in July that will be used to lead the organization during the next five to 10 years."

Please enlighten me I see nothing but " we've done a good job" that will get your butt fired in the real world.
. Apparently their "cuts" were not effective since we just got a dues increase along with fee increases from Charter fees to camping fees from the AMA. I've said it once and will say it again. This increase is not about offering us a better product.

Mike
Instead of reverse engineering AMA's statements, twisting words, and creating a false narrative as you did previously concerning the period the one million dollars was spent and for what purposes, why don't you reach out to your District VP and ask for facts about what belt tightening has occurred? Remember, don't ask the questions if you don't want to hear the answers!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:45 PM
rcmiket

Instead of reverse engineering AMA's statements, twisting words, and creating a false narrative as you did previously concerning the period the one million dollars was spent and for what purposes, why don't you reach out to your District VP and ask for facts about what belt tightening has occurred? Remember, don't ask the questions if you don't want to hear the answers!
Already did we had a nice chat but the questions still remain unanswered. As far as the "over a million spent and we had to hire a PR firm" why don't you tell me why the money had to be spent? I'm not twisting anything.
I might add you said " Apparently you have no clue as to cuts that have been made already....."
Apparently you have no clue either on what cuts were made.....................................
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-13-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

You might realize at this point that no matter what the answer given, there will be no end to questions, and no end to the constant non stop never ending criticism that the AMA will get heaped upon it. Done to much, or not enough. Spent to much, but we don't know where and how and why, but AMA fatcats are getting rich, and eating out at nice places, and that big building they are in etc etc etc. If one answer is given, another question will be asked, and unless it fits the narrative put forward by the question, off to the races we will go. There are always ways to improve communications and transparency, but really, are the answers ever going to turn back what has happened that has caused this big outrage (is it really that big I would ask) to begin with. Is the AMA going to backtrack on "drones"...are they going to stop advocating for modelers, are they going to stop trying to work with the FAA on rules/regs. It just isn't going to happen. There might be discontent and dismay, and even "great concern", but I would make the comment it's more prevalent here and in some other threads and sites, but not at the level of making any significant change in the actions going forward. Apathy, disinterest, the lack of overall effect this has on the average hobbyist...take your pick, there are undoubtedly more reasons why.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:36 AM
rcmiket

You might realize at this point that no matter what the answer given, there will be no end to questions, and no end to the constant non stop never ending criticism that the AMA will get heaped upon it. Done to much, or not enough. Spent to much, but we don't know where and how and why, but AMA fatcats are getting rich, and eating out at nice places, and that big building they are in etc etc etc. If one answer is given, another question will be asked, and unless it fits the narrative put forward by the question, off to the races we will go. There are always ways to improve communications and transparency, but really, are the answers ever going to turn back what has happened that has caused this big outrage (is it really that big I would ask) to begin with. Is the AMA going to backtrack on "drones"...are they going to stop advocating for modelers, are they going to stop trying to work with the FAA on rules/regs. It just isn't going to happen. There might be discontent and dismay, and even "great concern", but I would make the comment it's more prevalent here and in some other threads and sites, but not at the level of making any significant change in the actions going forward. Apathy, disinterest, the lack of overall effect this has on the average hobbyist...take your pick, there are undoubtedly more reasons why.
Seems to me if you have a controversy the best way to deal with it is to be open. I honestly feel the AMA needs to open up to the members and explain the planned course of action to deal with "government relations to keep model aviation free of onerous restrictions and regulations.". Why not just lay out a plan to the members along with estimated cost associated with the plan. A "blank check" policy is not a good approach it leads too many questions about where the moneys being spent. There have been numerous reports from AMA members (here and on other threads) that when they contacted the Reps. they were handed a cookie cutter response with no real content or answers to questions asked.
All we as members are asking for are straight answers nothing more. Is that really bad or wrong? Sometimes we forget that WE are the AMA and without us there would be no organization.

Mike.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:02 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Seems to me if you have a controversy the best way to deal with it is to be open. I honestly feel the AMA needs to open up to the members and explain the planned course of action to deal with "government relations to keep model aviation free of onerous restrictions and regulations.". Why not just lay out a plan to the members along with estimated cost associated with the plan. A "blank check" policy is not a good approach it leads too many questions about where the moneys being spent. There have been numerous reports from AMA members (here and on other threads) that when they contacted the Reps. they were handed a cookie cutter response with no real content or answers to questions asked.
All we as members are asking for are straight answers nothing more. Is that really bad or wrong? Sometimes we forget that WE are the AMA and without us there would be no organization.

Mike.
Just what makes U think that the AMA is a democratic organization? It ain't, it's like the USA, is a representative form where U vote for your reprepresenitive and thy make all the decisions. Just like our Federal and State governments U can contact your elected representative and make your feelings known. As far as them doing anything about what U would like is only if they happen to be of that persuasion before U ever made your opinions known to them. We have a slim to none chance of changing the EC's thinking or decisions. Just have to learn to live with it. The only recourse is to get elected to a VP. Fat chance there.
If perchance U did make it to the Inner Circle your thinking would Probably change
dramatically.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:49 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

We have no say. The A.M.A has a blank check. Nobody there is listening. They're all probably on a beach in the Caribbean sipping rum punches.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 08-14-2015 at 05:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I'm thinking the same.... Just remember, nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it them self.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Impressive, page 26 and the same old broken record is still playing over and over again....
Old 08-14-2015, 10:14 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Impressive, page 26 and the same old broken record is still playing over and over again....
14,004 views, that's even more interesting IMO.

Mike
Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

14,004 views, that's even more interesting IMO.

Mike
Wait until 9/15 when all the folks who don't read MA get their new renewal notices with the increased rates....
Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 AM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Wait until 9/15 when all the folks who don't read MA get their new renewal notices with the increased rates....
Exactly. The timing of the dues increase is totally tone deaf to this drone issue. Everyone will link it to the drone government work. Perception = reality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.