Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Yes, Dean is a great kid, and I am happy to support him. I did see the very funny cartoon on the 100 mph edf. I think we have all talked to this guy at our local fields....

As for the subject at hand, I was on the phone yesterday with a good friend who is high up in one of the largest RC companies (among several businesses he controls), and also happens to have a finger directly on the pulse of Washington: he assured me that it is only a matter of time (probably short) before they regulate all drone activities.
He is not happy about it, because he really enjoys his DJI, which he uses very responsibly. But that is reality. He too feels that the AMA would best serve our long term interest by stepping away from drones.
The drone challenges are simply too vast to be managed by a modest organization like the AMA. It goes far beyond this membership based group that was created around model aircraft that we also affectionately call toy airplanes.

BTW, many here go back to discussing multi rotors: I do not believe that those are not necessarily an issue until they (along with some fixed wings or helis) become drones by way of adding the electronic devices that make them drones.
I have my fingers on the pulse as well, and I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen that will have significant or alarming consequences for the hobby. I don't have any problems with the FAA regulating commercial and military drone (actually they already do) issues for public safety. That's one of the primary roles of govt isn't it, to help protect us? In my personal opinion, the AMA isn't tasked with, nor has it undertaken the responsibility to deal with the whole issue, perhaps that's a misconception. Of course it's not the organization to deal with the grand issue, it's motives and actions have been centered on the hobby, and how it will affect is. I have to say as of today, based on their actions and work on the issue, nothing significant has happened to us in the hobby has it? I can see that few folks want to credit the AMA with that, but I will, rose colored lenses and all.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:16 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by AERORICH73
Thanks for critiquing my comments. One has to understand who is driving the hobby's direction. Yes, I am aware of change, but that does not change the ingredients in grandmother's chocolate cake. The hobby started out from building models, and then test flying them. Is this the same reason in the hobby today, or, is the direction being done by the brain washing going on to attract customers through advertising that they have no time to build models, but have time to drink beer, and watch sports programs. I have no negative thoughts about beer, or sport games, but to say that flying models is the primary reason for being in the hobby just does not compute.

I have to smile when reading the wording, " mulit-rotors" being band from the hobby. Come now, is this the best reasoning to include a flying machine which is not a model aircraft into the hobby. The quads belong under another oversight agency to make the flying rules, and fines for not following them. Our hobby is model aircraft not spy platforms that need no runway. If you want to fly rotary wing models, how about helicopters?

The MA magazine as far as I am concerned does not even qualify for being in an out house. The brain washing advertisements are nothing more than mfg's product catalogs to make you think you are lost if not owning what they are selling. The real question is: Just how far have our minds be infiltrated to the point we cannot know we are being programed to purchase items we really do not need?

Our lives are made up by what we enjoy doing. How we apply that direction in this model aircraft hobby remains your choice, and if piloting a premade model is what you like, I find that just fine. I on the other hand find something lacking in not building, or reworking someone else's built model. If you build a model, there is a very strong sense that you do not want to damage it. Purchasing a model just does not have the same feeling, and if it crashes a new one can be had in a short time to just crash the second one.

I have read, and re-read District XI's monthly report, and do not get much from the short printed material. This just brings up what do these VP's do? It seems their area to cover is much to large to be effective. How any one could visit all the flying sites each year puzzles me. Having a VP for just each state would make more sense in that all the clubs could have a chance to meet and visit with some updated information. At one time years past, the VP for XI District lived here, he visited with the SkyKnights monthly meetings quite often. Once retired, I have no knowledge that the two new ones ever visited Portland, Oregon.

Ok, I am done for now. Keep me in this discussion so I can have a better flavor of just what everyone else is thinking. The direction the AMA is taking seems to be toward a black hole. Maybe someone can come up with a better ending to our hobby.

[email protected]
[email protected]
Have you ever read George Orwell?

We all make our own personal choices, I'm sure advertising plays a role in creating a want, but doesn't force anyone to do anything. I was teaching a class of 5th graders a few years ago and the lesson plan for the day was discussing the difference between "wants", and "needs". An interesting discussion for sure, even more so given the age of the kids. Nobody talked about homes, cars, doctors, food, glasses, clothes etc. They all went to Ipods, the newest sneakers, CD's, etc etc. Obviously the discussion was meant to bring them back to "needs", and those things weren't in there. I prefer to think that we are all smart enough to make our own decisions, I don't blame any magazine or advertisement for "making" me buy something, that's all on me.

As for your AMA VP...keep in mind he is one person and covers Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington state. A pretty big swatch of geography to cover no? You have two assistant VP' in your state. One is 215 miles away from you, and the other is 184 miles, so a bit of a haul. They would probably be more apt to visit. What if anything has your club done to get them there though? Any fly-ins or events that they have been invited to? Does your club keep in touch with them about what you are doing?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:26 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The AMA does not fund clubs period. What part of this don't you get? A club may apply for a grant up to 10% of the total project. Not to mention only a handful get selected. Have you ever been involved in a field startup from scratch? I have and what we received was a very very small potion of what I cost. The 30 grand they gave out is nothing and so much more could be done to support the local clubs.

"Are you under the impression the AMA should fund the startup and operations of a club?"

Why not? Is not the the whole idea behind the organization to promote the hobby? What better way than financially supporting the local clubs?

"And what does the costs of running Muncie have to do with the tea in China."

I'd like a actual number on just what it costs to run it maybe I could help them save a few bucks. I hear it's a nice place but will never go there. I wonder just what percent of the paying members have actually been there? Why not smaller regional sites? Would that not better serve the membership?

"Do you understand how those grants are awarded, and what some of the criteria are to get those grants?"

Sure do we applied and received on a few years back. How about you have you ever gone thru the process?

"are they supposed to sell the building and work out of their homes or something? "

Great idea. after all that's what all us local club officers do and by the way we along with our club members are the backbone of the .organization.
We tend to forget the whole idea of a national organization is to support the members who fund it.

Mike
Ya, that's what I thought, nit picking the meaning of the word funding. I'd put up a definition of the word, and they all fit exactly what I said, but I doubt it would make a difference. See Ace Dude's response above, took the words outta my mouth. I don't quite understand the disdain and almost total contempt you have for the AMA, it's lost on me. Keep the thread updated and what you and the VP's etc are doing to get the changes you want. I think the effort is better channeled elsewhere, but at least you are getting involved.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Ya, that's what I thought, nit picking the meaning of the word funding. I'd put up a definition of the word, and they all fit exactly what I said, but I doubt it would make a difference. See Ace Dude's response above, took the words outta my mouth. I don't quite understand the disdain and almost total contempt you have for the AMA, it's lost on me. Keep the thread updated and what you and the VP's etc are doing to get the changes you want. I think the effort is better channeled elsewhere, but at least you are getting involved.
Page 28 and unless I've missed it, the only action I've seen is "I spoke to my AVP."
Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Page 28 and unless I've missed it, the only action I've seen is "I spoke to my AVP."
Well, it's a first step right? Better than just complaining on a blog...

I believe it might have been this or another AMA Is all bad complaint thread where he said something about mobilizing the forces to do something. I might have mentioned his district VP had already voted no to funding the initial $250k, so I wasn't quite sure what was going to be accomplished by continuing to wage war. I suspect being around of bunch of likeminded people will give someone the impression that this subset of people speaks for the masses. That everyone must want the same things they do, or in this situation, don't want it. That might be the case here, and the "pulse" that is being checked isn't the one that the rest of the group has. Remember a year or so back when the AMA was pressing everyone to get their comments in to the FAA regarding the drone issues...how many people ended up responding? And of those, how many do you think were AMA members? Probably the bulk of them, but still a pretty low number given the amount of people in the AMA. And although the vote was 50/50 and the president had to break that tie vote, I would still question if those that voted to not fund did so because of personal preference, or because they really checked in with all of those in their district and gathered a consensus. Then again the same question could be asked of those voting yes.

I say enjoy what we have now, go out and fly, be safe, embrace the change and make the best of it. This is supposed to be fun right?
Old 08-16-2015, 01:43 PM
numb3rulz

I realize this is going to be unpopular but I'm going to say it anyways.

How about they ditch the reduced rate for seniors and keep dues as low as possible for everyone?

I know our seniors are on fixed incomes but so am I. Last I checked theres on 24 hours in a day and I can't work all 24. The fact is, 9 out of 10 of us are on a fixed income. We keep your grandkids fed, housed, clothed, educated and insured.

My head almost explodes when I hear folks say to the waitress(who is making $7 an hour) "We better get the seniors discount". Maybe the AMA should ask for a Seniors Discount when paying for lobbyists. I propose all those currently on the SS discount get to keep it, but no more going forward.

I love you older folks, in fact I inspire to be one of you. But lets face it, if you can pay $20+ a gallon on airplane fuel you can pay your share of the AMA dues as well.

Respectfully,
The rest of us.

Last edited by numb3rulz; 08-16-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:27 PM
Duncman

Wow, now we'll go after all them doggone seniors on SSA, the nerve of them getting a discount. I say do away with the discount and Social Security while we are at it also, if they can afford $20 for a gallon of fuel they don't need Social Security, just an entitlement anyway. Make them worthless old-timers pay their fair share I always say.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:33 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Good Grief. I give up.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Duncman
Wow, now we'll go after all them doggone seniors on SSA, the nerve of them getting a discount. I say do away with the discount and Social Security while we are at it also, if they can afford $20 for a gallon of fuel they don't need Social Security, just an entitlement anyway. Make them worthless old-timers pay their fair share I always say.
If your statement is sarcasm, Then I apologize otherwise Just keep working and paying your FICA so I can get my Entitlement.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If your statement is sarcasm, Then I apologize otherwise Just keep working and paying your FICA so I can get my Entitlement.
Naw, it is sarcasm, I'm on SSA so I made a feeble attempt to be funny, oh well, came out stupid instead!!!! You and I can enjoy our entitlement at the flying field while numb3rulz works to pay us for what we don't deserve (more sarcasm, sorry)
Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Originally Posted by Duncman
Naw, it is sarcasm, I'm on SSA so I made a feeble attempt to be funny, oh well, came out stupid instead!!!! You and I can enjoy our entitlement at the flying field while numb3rulz works to pay us for what we don't deserve (more sarcasm, sorry)
Nothing to be sorry about
Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by ovationdave
Good Grief. I give up.
I'm here strictly for the entertainment value....
Old 08-17-2015, 04:20 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well, it's a first step right? Better than just complaining on a blog...

I believe it might have been this or another AMA Is all bad complaint thread where he said something about mobilizing the forces to do something. I might have mentioned his district VP had already voted no to funding the initial $250k, so I wasn't quite sure what was going to be accomplished by continuing to wage war. I suspect being around of bunch of likeminded people will give someone the impression that this subset of people speaks for the masses. That everyone must want the same things they do, or in this situation, don't want it. That might be the case here, and the "pulse" that is being checked isn't the one that the rest of the group has. Remember a year or so back when the AMA was pressing everyone to get their comments in to the FAA regarding the drone issues...how many people ended up responding? And of those, how many do you think were AMA members? Probably the bulk of them, but still a pretty low number given the amount of people in the AMA. And although the vote was 50/50 and the president had to break that tie vote, I would still question if those that voted to not fund did so because of personal preference, or because they really checked in with all of those in their district and gathered a consensus. Then again the same question could be asked of those voting yes.

I say enjoy what we have now, go out and fly, be safe, embrace the change and make the best of it. This is supposed to be fun right?
Yes! A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. However, many end abruptly after the first step and it's back to the complaint blogging. Hey, the blogging is just too easy, too satisfying, and comes with instant gratification!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:46 AM
rcmiket

"This is supposed to be fun right?"

Absolutely when it stops being fun I'm giving it up.

Mike
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 AM
islandflyer

Well, it's a first step right? Better than just complaining on a blog... I say enjoy what we have now, go out and fly, be safe, embrace the change and make the best of it. This is supposed to be fun right?
Not on board with that one:
I am not here to complain, but rather to raise awareness on the drone issues as it affect the AMA and model aviation as a whole. The only exists to represent the interest of its members, and not to pursue directions contrary to the position of the majority of its members. I have spoken to my VP, and I know he voted NO. Next is to spread the word on social media (not just here, but also FG, GSN and RCG).

While I do embrace the technological advances in all domains, I am not embracing the change (of the AMA), and neither are the majority of the AMA members I have spoken with (and there are many!). It is up to us, the members, to make our voices heard in order the change the composition of the leadership in the AMA, and change the very misguided direction it is following as a result of a very close vote last year. The drone issue is no doubt the biggest challenge our Aeromodeling hobby has ever faced, and it is time for AMA members to really get involved with the vote that can rectify this direction.

Yes, it is all about having fun....I just want the fun to continue for a long time, without being affected by overreaching regulation that are likely to come as a result of drone proliferation. The only salvation for us is to make it unequivocally clear that Drone flying is not model aviation, and vice versa.

This will absolutely not change anything for drones: what ever regulation affect them will affect them no matter what.
On the other hand it can change everything for model aviation, by lobbying to be affected but any upcoming drone regulation.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The only salvation for us is to make it unequivocally clear that Drone flying is not model aviation, and vice versa.
What exactly is your definition of drone flying?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:40 AM
islandflyer

What exactly is your definition of drone flying?
My definition (or yours) does not matter (as I already posted one page ago).
Commonly accepted definitions are what matters in this, or any discussion that makes any sense (as I already posted one page ago). Otherwise, you can spend all day redefining language, and any communication becomes fruitless and pointless.

Here is again what I posted about one page ago (as I already posted one page ago):

Commonly accepted definition of drone (found in dictionary):

noun

1. The male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making no honey.

2. An unmanned aircraft or ship that is able to navigate autonomously, or without human control, or beyond line of sight.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

My definition (or yours) does not matter (as I already posted one page ago).
Commonly accepted definitions are what matters in this, or any discussion that makes any sense (as I already posted one page ago). Otherwise, you can spend all day redefining language, and any communication becomes fruitless and pointless.

If you're trying to have an intelligent conversation with mutual understanding then yes, both matter, which is why I asked for clarification.

Here is again what I posted about one page ago (as I already posted one page ago):

I did read that. IMHO the bee reference is completely meaningless and irrelevant.

Commonly accepted definition of drone (found in dictionary):

noun

1. The male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making no honey.

2. An unmanned aircraft or ship that is able to navigate autonomously, or without human control, or beyond line of sight.

I would agree with #2, but would also include any LOS operations that have a pecuniary interest (e.g., commercial operations).

Above in red.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 AM
islandflyer

I would agree with #2, but would also include any LOS operations that have a pecuniary interest (e.g., commercial operations)..
Yes, but I believe that it was already covered, and requires some sort of permit.

Bottom line is this: even if you fly both drones and traditional model airplanes, and as feared the government steps in and lays down the law about drones, would you prefer having all of your flying affected, or just the drone part of your hobby?
For the vast majority of the AMA members who actually do not fly drones at all, we want to not be affected at all by such ruling.
The only way we have a chance to achieve that is for the AMA to lobby for Model Aviation, drawing a clear distinction with drone flying.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:12 AM
porcia83
Banned

I am not here to complain, but rather to raise awareness on the drone issues as it affect the AMA and model aviation as a whole. The only exists to represent the interest of its members, and not to pursue directions contrary to the position of the majority of its members. I have spoken to my VP, and I know he voted NO. Next is to spread the word on social media (not just here, but also FG, GSN and RCG).

While I do embrace the technological advances in all domains, I am not embracing the change (of the AMA), and neither are the majority of the AMA members I have spoken with (and there are many!). It is up to us, the members, to make our voices heard in order the change the composition of the leadership in the AMA, and change the very misguided direction it is following as a result of a very close vote last year. The drone issue is no doubt the biggest challenge our Aeromodeling hobby has ever faced, and it is time for AMA members to really get involved with the vote that can rectify this direction.

Yes, it is all about having fun....I just want the fun to continue for a long time, without being affected by overreaching regulation that are likely to come as a result of drone proliferation. The only salvation for us is to make it unequivocally clear that Drone flying is not model aviation, and vice versa.

This will absolutely not change anything for drones: what ever regulation affect them will affect them no matter what.
On the other hand it can change everything for model aviation, by lobbying to be affected but any upcoming drone regulation.

There is no overreaching regulation on this hobby right now, none that have really been presented, and none on the horizon that will have an adverse effect on this hobby. Of course anyone can say "yes, but there might be"...but that could be said about anything. I think your voices have been heard in the districts that have voted no....so not sure what change is going to be affected at the leadership level. Ultimately, time will tell.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:08 PM
AERORICH73

Boy, you got my vote on this!!!! Get the drones away from our model flying. These spy platforms are just going to get into a lot of trouble since there is no licensing, or agency watching them. Suspect that once a seller gets sued, there will be a vacuum in the market place to get out of the business of selling them. Right now all that the sellers see is a lot of funds in their pockets with no responsiblity for their use. While it can be argued that our models can be involved in accidents, there is a better connection between a modeler operating a build kit model being flown, and does not want to break it. We will see just what the ama renewals are like in october to see what the membership reaction is to the fee increase, and the ama embracing the quads.

Rich s.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by AERORICH73
Boy, you got my vote on this!!!! Get the drones away from our model flying. These spy platforms are just going to get into a lot of trouble since there is no licensing, or agency watching them. Suspect that once a seller gets sued, there will be a vacuum in the market place to get out of the business of selling them. Right now all that the sellers see is a lot of funds in their pockets with no responsiblity for their use. While it can be argued that our models can be involved in accidents, there is a better connection between a modeler operating a build kit model being flown, and does not want to break it. We will see just what the ama renewals are like in october to see what the membership reaction is to the fee increase, and the ama embracing the quads.

Rich s.
Hmm...if that logic applies. there should have been a vacuum in gun manufacturers after they were sued, was there? How about car companies when there vehicles were used recklessly, any vacuums there? Why should the drone manf be liable for anything these dopes do with them? They have warnings all over the instructions about how they are to be used, and they are routinely ignored. At some point someone has to take personal responsibility, and face the consequences when things go south, NOT point a finger at the drone manf.

Also, might want to hold back on looking at Oct renewals, I doubt you'll really see a drop this year, if anything a spike given the rate increase. The real "test" if it could be called that will be when that renewal period is up. My guess.....negligible change on way or another, probably flat.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:48 PM
rcmiket

Hmm...if that logic applies. there should have been a vacuum in gun manufacturers after they were sued, was there? How about car companies when there vehicles were used recklessly, any vacuums there? Why should the drone manf be liable for anything these dopes do with them? They have warnings all over the instructions about how they are to be used, and they are routinely ignored. At some point someone has to take personal responsibility, and face the consequences when things go south, NOT point a finger at the drone manf.

Also, might want to hold back on looking at Oct renewals, I doubt you'll really see a drop this year, if anything a spike given the rate increase. The real "test" if it could be called that will be when that renewal period is up. My guess.....negligible change on way or another, probably flat.
Were going into uncharted waters with this whole deal. None of us can compare this to anything that's happened in the past in modelling . I keep seeing comparisons of this and everything under the sun.None of the comparisons are relevant. This one is a game changer.
As far as the dues increase starting 9-14 -2016 I don't thing the average member even knows about the increase. Once they are hit in their wallets than there just may be a backlash.

Mike
Old 08-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are my concerns also since it is painfully clear there is not an effective manner to manage the drone population that cannot be undone by the renegade user. That very clearly screams that WE and the AMA need to RUN away from them entirely before the swat to them gets us also.

@rmikit - Please explain how MY dues should be used to and start a flying club in Idaho, Wyoming, or West Virginia. I don't see how that could be done without INVOLVED and invested members who (everywhere else I have flown) do those things for themselves. Your thesis that the AMA should fund local clubs is just another way to tax other members and open the door to politics and fraud in determining how much money is spent where. The federal government already does that so why do you want to emulate them?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM
islandflyer

There is no overreaching regulation on this hobby right now, none that have really been presented, and none on the horizon that will have an adverse effect on this hobby. Of course anyone can say "yes, but there might be"...but that could be said about anything. I think your voices have been heard in the districts that have voted no....so not sure what change is going to be affected at the leadership level. Ultimately, time will tell.
You are correct, only in the in the right now part ...
You are obviously a drone advocate.

The reality is that the vast majority of the AMA membership has no activity in drone flying, and we simply do not want to deal with whatever consequences will come from that hobby.
The only to shield against these inevitable consequences is clear and very public separation.
We already see a myriad of negative attention press and public opinion, all coming from drones, and not Aeromodeling.
No need to see the actual drone regulation to know it is coming: not only is it foreseeable, it is actually needed!

The comparison with guns and automobiles makes no sense: the NRA and Automobile lobbies both have very deep pockets, and the AMA is a dwarf in comparison, representing a small group of Model Aviation geeks...
The NRA can sway a senatorial, gubernatorial and even presidential election; the AMA is negligible in the political debate, and we only stands a chance if it modestly sticks to representing our rather non-controversial Aeromodeling Hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.