Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
New Zealand has solved their drone & model flying with new CAA Regs.
Maybe coming to an AMA field near U, or anywhere in the USA.
It would solve the problem of the AMA having to spend millions to defend our hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBJBq0tbTKM
http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/more.aspx
Old 08-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Duncman

Porcia83, I did not see the part that HoundDog said the NZ rules are harsh, unfair, or unreasonable, find it hard to even see an implication of that. Whatever the rules that NZ has implemented they are certainly more common sense than anything, hmmm, imagine a Government being accused of that. Rules may be in place there and similar rules in place here, some already are, there is still an enforcement effort that at this time is largely ineffective, maybe as technology improves that will change. Until then let us hope that nothing to disastrous happens.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:38 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you're saying but I looked at the context of his post, it's pretty clear he is not saying it's a good thing it happened, and actually us indicating it might be something bad that's coming to our shores, at least IMO. My questions were in part to verify his position. Not him specifically, but others have been prophesying all these bad things that could happen, and might happen...haven't seen it yet. What is out there currently isn't a drastic departure from what we have been doing for years anyway.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:24 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

This is the follow up criticism of the New Zealand CAA's Drone/Everything Rules by Bruce Simpson
Sorry I didn't post it here elier. but Bruce makes a whole lot of sense. Rather lengthy but a lot to cover.

[h=1]Why drones are not the problem (a note to regulators)[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tnUjP-sK4.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:52 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
This is the follow up criticism of the New Zealand CAA's Drone/Everything Rules by Bruce Simpson
Sorry I didn't post it here elier. but Bruce makes a whole lot of sense. Rather lengthy but a lot to cover.

Why drones are not the problem (a note to regulators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tnUjP-sK4.
35 minutes is a lot to ask of people... But this part speaks volumes, and I think is what many people here feel as well:

Remember -- this is not a drone problem, it's a "people problem" and new laws will only affect the law-abiding -- not those arrogant or ignorant fliers who endanger the lives and properties of others with these craft.

He also notes at the .38 second mark, perhaps the people that created these regs didn't speak to the right people. I would agree. I think that's why something like that hasn't completely happened here...because the AMA is speaking on our behalf. I might be in the minority with that opinion.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
I would agree. I think that's why something like that hasn't completely happened here...because the AMA is speaking on our behalf. I might be in the minority with that opinion.
I agree. It's truly unfortunate how many AMA members have no idea what's going on with the whole FAA regulation effort and what the AMA is doing on our behalf. People wonder why such organizations such as the NRA are so powerful. As the old saying goes, there's strength in numbers. Well, the NRA is something like 4.4 million members while the AMA is about 170k members. 170k! We're a peanut compared to an organization the size of the NRA. What's even worse is writing off the multirotor pilots as perspective AMA members. If we don't get new members from somewhere we don't stand a chance to increase our strength in numbers. The non-multirotor aircraft ranks are not growing. With an aging population we're doomed if we don't get new blood (preferably young blood) from somewhere and the only area that's growing is the multi-rotor segment of the hobby.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 PM
rcmiket

"People wonder why such organizations such as the NRA are so powerful."

As soon as our constitutional right to "bear and fly drones" is threatened people will wake up. They also claim to have 4.5 million members. We are small fish compared to them.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-21-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"People wonder why such organizations such as the NRA are so powerful."

As soon as our constitutional right to "bear and fly drones" is threatened people will wake up.

Mike
You would think, but what is common sense is not common practice. I've spoken to quite a few members of the clubs I belong to and it appears many don't know/don't care what's going. Often times I hear "that will never happen" when mentioning the potential FAA restrictions for model aviation.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
You would think, but what is common sense is not common practice. I've spoken to quite a few members of the clubs I belong to and it appears many don't know/don't care what's going. Often times I hear "that will never happen" when mentioning the potential FAA restrictions for model aviation.
That will always be the case. Have you heard that in any organization 5% do 95% of the work? This is no different.

Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That will always be the case. Have you heard that in any organization 5% do 95% of the work? This is no different.

Mike
I'm well aware, I'm a club officer.

It just highlights the significance of the number of members the AMA needs we wish to become stronger as an organization.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

They also claim to have 4.5 million members. We are small fish compared to them.

Mike
I believe I mentioned that in my post.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:28 PM
rcmiket

I'm well aware, I'm a club officer.

It just highlights the significance of the number of members the AMA needs we wish to become stronger as an organization.
Also highlights how the AMA needs to be more in touch with the membership. It's a 2 way street.

Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 03:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
If you're getting 5%, I need to know how you get that many? Threats, bribes, or you rule with a velvet glove? The same 4 or 5 in our club always show up, always chip in...never expecting anything in return except a thank you. Do all of the club officers help at all events etc?

Also highlights how the AMA needs to be more in touch with the membership. It's a 2 way street.

Mike
On the whole I think they have listened, and the regional VPs said their peace as it relates to the funding issues last year. I think they continue to listen, and more importantly communicate what they are doing. There also comes a point where there can be too much communication as well. To may e-mails, to many press releases etc etc and people start tuning out.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:27 PM
rcmiket

On the whole I think they have listened, and the regional VPs said their peace as it relates to the funding issues last year. I think they continue to listen, and more importantly communicate what they are doing. There also comes a point where there can be too much communication as well. To may e-mails, to many press releases etc etc and people start tuning out.
Ace Dude's post pretty much sums up what I also have run into. Apparently maybe the AMA isn't winning the hearts and minds of the members.I still believe that the only thing that will get a response from the membership is when their wallets get lighter.

Mike
Old 08-21-2015, 05:18 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody here really think that increasing the AMA's membership by people that, "just want the insurance" is a good thing?

Talk about divide and conquer....just wait and see how they vote (or don't) when the important issues arise.

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Ace Dude's post pretty much sums up what I also have run into. Apparently maybe the AMA isn't winning the hearts and minds of the members.I still believe that the only thing that will get a response from the membership is when their wallets get lighter.

Mike
That might be the case, but again as Ace has previously asked, where is the evidence of this lack of winning of hearts and minds? Not from anectodal discussions with folks in our tight geographic area, and not by reading some threads on websites. I guess I'm missing the big "tea party" like movement here. What leads you to believe the AMA will act so much different than they are now? If we look at this from what we know, as apposed to what we theorize might happen, what data do we have to look at to form this opinion. Past actions will typically show us what will happen. Did the AMA change it's ways drastically in the past as membership dues decreased? The financials tell the tale. What is we see a huge spike in the membership dues this year and next.....what do we think would happen there?

Originally Posted by astrohog
Does anybody here really think that increasing the AMA's membership by people that, "just want the insurance" is a good thing?

Talk about divide and conquer....just wait and see how they vote (or don't) when the important issues arise.

Regards,

Astro
Are we now setting ourselves up to judge the reason someone joins AMA, as if doing it "just to get the insurance" is a bad thing? Who are we to judge? Not any different than second guessing someone who flies a ARF over a scratch built from what I can see. What they chose to do with their membership is their business no?

Not sure I follow you on the divide and conquer though.....in what regards? Also, what vote are you talking about? I'm thinking the most important "vote" already came to fruition here....and we know the results of that.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM
astrohog

Are we now setting ourselves up to judge the reason someone joins AMA, as if doing it "just to get the insurance" is a bad thing? Who are we to judge? Not any different than second guessing someone who flies a ARF over a scratch built from what I can see. What they chose to do with their membership is their business no?

Not sure I follow you on the divide and conquer though.....in what regards? Also, what vote are you talking about? I'm thinking the most important "vote" already came to fruition here....and we know the results of that.
Surely you are smart enough to understand that the AMA is a non-profit group that is to be run BY the members and FOR the members. The AMA's membership can ebb and flow, the amount of members does not really matter, as long as the organization is taking care of its members. I don't think I need to explain how adding members that are not REALLY interested in the organization, but for its perks, will ultimately divide the entire organization and be a net drain on its worth, effectiveness and resources.

Of course, Porcia, you will disagree and that is just fine, after all, it is just YOUR opinion, just like this is mine!

Regards,

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 08-21-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Surely you are smart enough to understand that the AMA is a non-profit group that is to be run BY the members and FOR the members. The AMA's membership can ebb and flow, the amount of members does not really matter, as long as the organization is taking care of its members. I don't think I need to explain how adding members that are not REALLY interested in the organization, but for its perks, will ultimately divide the entire organization and be a net drain on its worth, effectiveness and resources.

Of course, Porcia, you will disagree and that is just fine, after all, it is just YOUR opinion, just like this is mine!

Regards,

Astro
Passive aggressive much? Did you really wonder if I agreed with your premise given my initial response? Couldn't miss a chance to take a swipe though...lol.

Ya...I pretty much won't set myself up as a judge to second guess why someone joins, or what their motivations are, or what they need to do to prove to me that they are really "interested" in the hobby for more than just the "perks" (because lol there are soooo many). Feel free to proselytize more doom and gloom about what is going to happen to the membership "if" things go one way, it's sort of been the theme from some. Also, if you can let us know what the litmus test is to show how someone is "interested" versus "here just for the perks", I'd be interested to read it, even though it would be your OPINION.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM
astrohog

Feel free to proselytize
hmmm..pot calling the kettle black? LOL!

if you can let us know what the litmus test is to show how someone is "interested" versus "here just for the perks", I'd be interested to read it, even though it would be your OPINION.
Why would you be interested? You already made it clear you don't care why people join...........just want to degrade someone else's opinion AGAIN?

Astro
Old 08-21-2015, 07:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Another opinion equals degradation? Sort of absolute there eh? No room for context, nuance, another point of view I guess. All or nuthin. O/K.

I'll keep on the lookout for what I guess would be a checklist or questions to ask someone why they are joining, and how serious they are going to be about being a member, is it just for the perks etc.

It looks like you're sort of defensive that I questioned you on that issue, sorry, it's nothing personal. When I see something like that that appears to have overtones of second guessing and judging someone, I'd like to fully understand how that would be constructed, and implemented. Who exactly would administer that, gather the findings, take action etc etc. I'm guessing you might not have thought it all the way through, or perhaps did, but I didn't see it. Nothing to get upset about though.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
What should the AMA do to be more in touch with the membership?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

What should the AMA do to be more in touch with the membership?
Apparently ask them why they joined, are they serious about being a member? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-21-2015, 08:00 PM
astrohog

Another opinion equals degradation? Sort of absolute there eh? No room for context, nuance, another point of view I guess. All or nuthin. O/K.

I'll keep on the lookout for what I guess would be a checklist or questions to ask someone why they are joining, and how serious they are going to be about being a member, is it just for the perks etc.

It looks like you're sort of defensive that I questioned you on that issue, sorry, it's nothing personal. When I see something like that that appears to have overtones of second guessing and judging someone, I'd like to fully understand how that would be constructed, and implemented. Who exactly would administer that, gather the findings, take action etc etc. I'm guessing you might not have thought it all the way through, or perhaps did, but I didn't see it. Nothing to get upset about though.
...or one could simply ask them, but once again, you did what you do best by deflecting the discussion away from the point. There are no requirements to join the AMA. just pay your money and you become a member. My point was that there are some on here that just want to inflate the amount of members because they subscribe to the theory that there is strength in numbers. I believe that an organization is strong when all the members join because they share a common passion and band together to further that passion. It is also my belief that if someone joins the AMA, "for the insurance" or because they, " have to" in order to race their FPV multi-rotors that there is a very good chance that they won't be active, supportive members to the rest of the membership.

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Regards,

Astro
Are no members better than some members?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:04 PM
astrohog

Apparently ask them why they joined, are they serious about being a member? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
be careful, Porcia, your true colors are starting to show! That comment borders on degradation of another's' opinion! (but you don't do that, do you?)

Regards,

Astro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.