Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
IMHO that's perfectly normal. The fact that inactive members are still financially supporting the club speaks volumes about their commitment to the club and hobby.

We all go through different phases in life (e.g., single, married, kids, empty nest, retirement) that affect the amount of time we're able to dedicate to the hobby. We need to remember that perhaps some inactive members now were very active 20 or more years ago and now they're letting someone else fill that role. By rotating roles (including officers) it gives everyone the responsibility to have a strong club. The clubs that concern me the most for long term viability are the ones where the same officers have been in place forever.
You are pretty much right on. However I would like to add to that mix that often those members, especially new ones, that do not participate in work days or as officers can be overwhelmed and somewhat intimidated by those that are currently performing those functions. Been more than one occasion when an individual will exhibit a talent/skillset and our club approaches them to utilize that resource and they are honored to do so, overwhelmed and intimidation is no longer an issue. Of course you have those that find any excuse not to help, just move on.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by astrohog

Here is an example (yes, it is an extreme example, but just intended to provoke some thoughts): Your local club membership is THRIVING , there is $$ in the treasury, but NOBODY will run for or hold office, nobody will show up to mow the field, maintain the mowers, take initiative to hold fly-ins, public demos, reach out to the local CAP, Boy Scouts, schools, etc. Is this "strength in numbers"? On the opposite side, local club membership is at an all-time low, membership dues are high but every member participates in the club in one way or another and the club holds some form of public outreach on a regular basis, is active in local politics, charities, etc. Which club is more likely to be successful in advocating for saving their flying "rights" in the face of increased pressure from public outcry, Gov regulation, etc.?

Regards,

Astro
False dilemma.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:51 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

False dilemma.
I was hoping you would add some thoughtful insight by answering to the questions I asked, rather than focus on the (acknowledged) extreme examples!

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I respectfully disagree.

The goal of a business is to create a PROFIT.

The AMA (and our local clubs) are NON-PROFIT organizations and exist ONLY to support their respective members as those members collectively see fit.

Not exactly, there are many laws that apply to non-profit organizations that don't allow those organizations "to support their respective members as those members collectively see fit."

Regards,

Astro
Above in red.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I was hoping you would add some thoughtful insight by answering to the questions I asked, rather than focus on the (acknowledged) extreme examples!

Regards,

Astro
Do what I say, not what I do?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12088071
Old 08-22-2015, 08:04 AM
astrohog

[h=1]AMA Vision[/h]We, the members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, are the pathway to the future of modeling and are committed to making modeling the foremost sport/hobby in the world.
This vision is accomplished through:

Affiliation with its valued associates, the modeling industry and governments.
A process of continuous improvement.
A commitment to leadership, quality, education and scientific/technical development.
A safe, secure, enjoyable modeling environment.

[h=1]AMA Mission[/h]
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.

The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers.

This pretty much sums up the AMA. Nobody is "forced" to join our ranks. I am of the opinion that if one's goals don't align with the intent of the group and one is not willing to be a part of the group through active participation then one doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't) join.

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-22-2015, 08:08 AM
astrohog

Apparently you don't have any substance to add?

Astro
Old 08-22-2015, 08:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
You are pretty much right on. However I would like to add to that mix that often those members, especially new ones, that do not participate in work days or as officers can be overwhelmed and somewhat intimidated by those that are currently performing those functions. Been more than one occasion when an individual will exhibit a talent/skillset and our club approaches them to utilize that resource and they are honored to do so, overwhelmed and intimidation is no longer an issue. Of course you have those that find any excuse not to help, just move on.
I agree completely. One area where I really think the AMA is lacking is in the guidance, or lack thereof, it provides to clubs on how to run a successful club. Running a successful club is no easy task and it doesn't happen by accident. People skills are critical to running a club and I've seen all too often where clubs suffer from poor communication and a lack of mentoring other members. I've also seen where officers are control freaks and refuse to delegate tasks to others or let others assume responsibility. A good leader will gladly mentor and involve others in the operation of their club. Just because a club has officers doesn't mean the officers have to do everything, it's also about mentoring the next officers to they have a head start and don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Apparently you don't have any substance to add?

Astro
I tried that here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12088070

This was the response I received:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12088071
Old 08-22-2015, 08:21 AM
astrohog

Not exactly, there are many laws that apply to non-profit organizations that don't allow those organizations "to support their respective members as those members collectively see fit."

For the sake of keeping this thread on an informative path, I will ask once again that you please respond with comments that support and reflect your opinions, not with rhetorical remarks that have no purpose but to spin this thread from discussing the topic at hand. I am not spending my time on here to argue with you. I am here to provide MY insight to other modelers in order to try and find solutions to the REAL problems that face our hobby today.

It is becoming increasingly and painfully obvious that your purpose here is completely different than mine. (and I am NOT talking about us simply having different opinions!)

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

AMA Vision

We, the members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, are the pathway to the future of modeling and are committed to making modeling the foremost sport/hobby in the world.
This vision is accomplished through:

Affiliation with its valued associates, the modeling industry and governments.
A process of continuous improvement.
A commitment to leadership, quality, education and scientific/technical development.
A safe, secure, enjoyable modeling environment.

AMA Mission

The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.

The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers.

This pretty much sums up the AMA. Nobody is "forced" to join our ranks. I am of the opinion that if one's goals don't align with the intent of the group and one is not willing to be a part of the group through active participation then one doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't) join.

Regards,

Astro
You can always start your own club with your own rigorous participation and commitment requirements. Keep us posted on how many members sign up and what your member turnover is.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

For the sake of keeping this thread on an informative path, I will ask once again that you please respond with comments that support and reflect your opinions, not with rhetorical remarks that have no purpose but to spin this thread from discussing the topic at hand. I am not spending my time on here to argue with you. I am here to provide MY insight to other modelers in order to try and find solutions to the REAL problems that face our hobby today.

It is becoming increasingly and painfully obvious that your purpose here is completely different than mine. (and I am NOT talking about us simply having different opinions!)

Regards,

Astro
http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits
Old 08-22-2015, 09:07 AM
astrohog

once again, your point is????

Astro
Old 08-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

once again, your point is????

Astro
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12088258
Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 AM
astrohog

rabbit hole. which law in particular are you referring to?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

rabbit hole. which law in particular are you referring to?
If you have to resort to name calling, you've already lost.

If you think a non-profit can do whatever it wants to "support their respective members as those members collectively see fit." Your words, not mine, then perhaps you need to brush up on ALL the requirements for a legal IRS approved non-profit organization.

I am here to provide MY insight to other modelers in order to try and find solutions to the REAL problems that face our hobby today.

Regards,

Astro
Often times we're our own worst enemy when it comes creative problem solving. Failure to recognize the value that ALL members provide irregardless of the level of participation is, IMHO, a real problem, especially when looking at the big picture today.

Lastly, this is getting way off topic again.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:52 AM
astrohog

Name calling? (not yet! ) Lost? Lost what?

Wait for it.........wait for it..........

Astro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37620480.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2116100  
Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 AM
astrohog

If you think a non-profit can do whatever it wants to "support their respective members as those members collectively see fit." Your words, not mine, then perhaps you need to brush up on ALL the requirements for a legal IRS approved non-profit organization.
BOLD ADDED. Completely took my quote out of context. (but that is what you are good at).

Second, please point out the specific law you keep referring to that doesn't allow for a non-profit to, "support their respective members as those members collectively see fit"

Unless you are trying to get off-topic, you realize that in the context that I originally posted that, I was referring to supporting that groups' mission and vision statement and not $upporting their members monetarily!

Astro
Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Name calling? (not yet! ) Lost? Lost what?

Wait for it.........wait for it..........

Astro
Integrity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity
Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM
rcmiket

Regards,

Astro
I would venture a guess that most join the AMA only for the insurance.If they want to fly. At most sites they must have AMA insurance to do so ( even though it's secondary insurance). Every organized site I know of require it.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-22-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:09 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

yeah, mike,
the 10-15% that vote in any given AMA election sorta gives us an idea just how many current AMA members actually give a damn about anything other than the requirement to have AMA to fly at their chosen field.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:17 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
yeah, mike,
the 10-15% that vote in any given AMA election sorta gives us an idea just how many current AMA members actually give a damn about anything other than the requirement to have AMA to fly at their chosen field.
The kicker is the AMA pleaded with the membership for input to the FAA on the possible restrictions due to the "drone" crap a whopping 33,000 total responded. That's pathetic. Why would the FAA give a damn about what we think? .
Mike
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's my opinion. The dues increase sucks. If i didn't need a A.M.A. card, I wouldn't renew my membership. In my own personal economics, it is a questionable increase expenditure. But A.M.A doesn't care.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I've posted my thoughts on that throughout this thread. I see no point in doing it again just so you and porcia83 can post 2 pages on why I'm wrong. I'm just not up for it today.

Mike
As the youths of today are fond of saying....Why you mad bro? You would probably also have two pages of people who agree with you too....sorry you can't seem to get past a general disagreement of opinion. Have I gone back and used your name like you just did with mine? Continue to be amazed at the amount of people who cannot accept a difference of opinion and take is so personally.

Spent a glorious day flying and getting sunburned...and even flew with people who agreed and disagreed with me, and still had fun.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I would venture a guess that most join the AMA only for the insurance.If they want to fly. At most sites they must have AMA insurance to do so ( even though it's secondary insurance). Every organized site I know of require it.

Mike
At the risk of turning this into a two pager, I would say that most people join the AMA in order to fly at most organized sites. Chances are they don't even realize what the amount of coverage they get is, or how it is applied, they just know that it's required by most flying sites and it has to be purchased. I've never visited a site that doesn't require it, although I've read about such sites here and elsewhere. Must be nice to own a piece of land large enough to have a club on, and decide to keep it a private club. One club I belonged to has been looking for a plot of land for the last 6 years and has a nice chunk of change to put down for it..can't even come close to finding something. Perhaps they need to look at dumps...I flew on a huge field today (two actually in one club), perched on top of a closed landfill. What a sweet field!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.