Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:34 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Here's my opinion. The dues increase sucks. If i didn't need a A.M.A. card, I wouldn't renew my membership. In my own personal economics, it is a questionable increase expenditure. But A.M.A doesn't care.
Agree, dues increases suck in general. Notwithstanding the current drone issue, do you think we had a pretty good run of 13 years without a rate increase, and that it's not a complete surprise dues would go up at some point ?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mongo
yeah, mike,
the 10-15% that vote in any given AMA election sorta gives us an idea just how many current AMA members actually give a damn about anything other than the requirement to have AMA to fly at their chosen field.
It's such a low number right? The question for me is why? It could be a lack of awareness, it could be apathy in general (if it doesn't affect me and what I do, who cares), of it could be that they are happy with the status quo. 2014 midterm general election turnout was so low, less than 37%, the lowest numbers since 2014. If there was ever a time where people feel pretty strongly about the state of politics, and that's all there is for a turnout? . Unreal
Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 PM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
I agree completely. One area where I really think the AMA is lacking is in the guidance, or lack thereof, it provides to clubs on how to run a successful club. Running a successful club is no easy task and it doesn't happen by accident. People skills are critical to running a club and I've seen all too often where clubs suffer from poor communication and a lack of mentoring other members. I've also seen where officers are control freaks and refuse to delegate tasks to others or let others assume responsibility. A good leader will gladly mentor and involve others in the operation of their club. Just because a club has officers doesn't mean the officers have to do everything, it's also about mentoring the next officers to they have a head start and don't have to reinvent the wheel.
The AMA has a lot of stuff on their website on running a club but as far as I can tell, nothing on the politics of running a club and I'm not so sure that would be that beneficial. Every club regardless of the sport/hobby has it's share of control freaks, terrible people skills, bad administrative skills and so on. These folks drift in and out of power and co-mingle with the opposites of the world, seems to balance out as I see it. You are correct, a good leader will mentor and involve but you don't always get that in officers and that is a shame but at least they care enough to involve themselves and I'll never fault a volunteer whatever his shortcomings may be.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Duncman
The AMA has a lot of stuff on their website on running a club but as far as I can tell, nothing on the politics of running a club and I'm not so sure that would be that beneficial. Every club regardless of the sport/hobby has it's share of control freaks, terrible people skills, bad administrative skills and so on. These folks drift in and out of power and co-mingle with the opposites of the world, seems to balance out as I see it. You are correct, a good leader will mentor and involve but you don't always get that in officers and that is a shame but at least they care enough to involve themselves and I'll never fault a volunteer whatever his shortcomings may be.
All the documentation on the AMA website that I've seen is about the mechanics of starting a club. IMHO what's really needed is soft skills training.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:39 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Why you mad bro?
I'm not mad at all. Just not wasting any more time and I'd like to point out I'm not your "bro?

Mike.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:58 AM
rcmiket

All the documentation on the AMA website that I've seen is about the mechanics of starting a club. IMHO what's really needed is soft skills training.
Those skills cannot be taught. You either can play well with others or you can't. Our board has been in place for almost 10 years and our club is rock solid our events are well attended along with being profitable. Our Charity events give our members a feeling of giving back. As a board member I'm extremely proud of our members. At one point we had no field and we were losing members all due to bad leadership along with the dreaded club politics so many clubs suffer from. Six guys turned it around rallied the troops and we have never looked back.
If your club has issues the AMA cannot help you. Your choice is step up find the right people and get it back on track or live with what you have.
It's just that simple.
What I do find funny is I get into more squabbles in the AMA forums than I ever do at the field.

Mike
Old 08-23-2015, 04:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm not mad at all. Just not wasting any more time and I'd like to point out I'm not your "bro?

Mike.
Those skills cannot be taught. You either can play well with others or you can't. Our board has been in place for almost 10 years and our club is rock solid our events are well attended along with being profitable. Our Charity events give our members a feeling of giving back. As a board member I'm extremely proud of our members. At one point we had no field and we were losing members all due to bad leadership along with the dreaded club politics so many clubs suffer from. Six guys turned it around rallied the troops and we have never looked back.
If your club has issues the AMA cannot help you. Your choice is step up find the right people and get it back on track or live with what you have.
It's just that simple.
What I do find funny is I get into more squabbles in the AMA forums than I ever do at the field.

Mike
Ya...go figure. Could be a soft skills issue and a lack of humor.

Good thing you pointed out we're not "bros" though. Yeesh.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:14 AM
rcmiket

Ya...go figure. Could be a soft skills issue and a lack of humor.

Good thing you pointed out we're not "bros" though. Yeesh.
I have a great sense of humor just low tolerance for......................well you know. If it walks like a duck.........................................

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-23-2015 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:18 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a great sense of humor just low tolerance for......................well you know. If it walks like a duck.........................................

Mike
+1

Astro
Old 08-23-2015, 05:41 AM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Here's my opinion. The dues increase sucks. If i didn't need a A.M.A. card, I wouldn't renew my membership. In my own personal economics, it is a questionable increase expenditure. But A.M.A doesn't care.
Most members join AMA because it is required to in order to fly at a club.
That is a pretty well documented fact. Of course, a couple of guys here would want to provide numbers, and maybe addresses, phone number, SS numbers to document this fact....
Bottom line is I have flown at many different locations in a few of different states, spoken to many of our customers, and owners of major R/C companies: only one has been an advocate for AMA advocating for drones and adopting an inclusive policy; another has mixed feelings and not yet certain on what should be done; all the rest are unequivocally against this inclusion.

I used to fly at a City and County site in Hawaii that, per City and County decision did not require club membership, or AMA insurance. Result: the majority did not join AMA!

The majority of drones fly anywhere but R/C flying fields; especially if they ever found out that they might have to follow some rules.
Most drones have not and will not join AMA, and AMA is spending a lot of our money advocating for them. Waste of money on a very large number of people who create the overwhelming majority of the issues that we hear and read about in the news.

Nothing in the mostly pointless bloviating of the last few pages has done anything to sway my position (supported by most of the people I have spoken with): the AMA needs to step away from drones, and focus on what the paid membership wants them to do.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

"........ low tolerance......."

Mike
FTFY. Looking back it seems that you're okey dokey when someone agrees with ya...but otherwise, not so much. Oh well...back to flying.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer
That is a pretty well documented fact. Of course, a couple of guys here would want to provide numbers, and maybe addresses, phone number, SS numbers to document this fact....
Bottom line is I have flown at many different locations in a few of different states, spoken to many of our customers, and owners of major R/C companies: only one has been an advocate for AMA advocating for drones and adopting an inclusive policy; another has mixed feelings and not yet certain on what should be done; all the rest are unequivocally against this inclusion.

I used to fly at a City and County site in Hawaii that, per City and County decision did not require club membership, or AMA insurance. Result: the majority did not join AMA!

The majority of drones fly anywhere but R/C flying fields; especially if they ever found out that they might have to follow some rules.
Most drones have not and will not join AMA, and AMA is spending a lot of our money advocating for them. Waste of money on a very large number of people who create the overwhelming majority of the issues that we hear and read about in the news.

Nothing in the mostly pointless bloviating of the last few pages has done anything to sway my position (supported by most of the people I have spoken with): the AMA needs to step away from drones, and focus on what the paid membership wants them to do.
I note your active participation in the thread, even calling people names. Worse than bloviating, who knows. Don't know about you, but I don't come to this type of thread looking to have my opinion changed, or trying to change someone's opinion..it rarely happens in either case, but it certainly can. If you keep an open mind, every now and then someone might say something that makes you think twice, or consider an alternate possibility. It appears this topic is like politics or religion, people have hard fast opinions and just won't change their view regardless of what is read. Doesn't mean any one view is better or worse than the other, just different.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Those skills cannot be taught.

That very thought is the problem. Leadership skills can be learned. The question is whether people are willing to learn. I realize this is a significant challenge (just look at all the closed minded posts in this thread), but it can be done.

You either can play well with others or you can't. Our board has been in place for almost 10 years and our club is rock solid our events are well attended along with being profitable. Our Charity events give our members a feeling of giving back. As a board member I'm extremely proud of our members. At one point we had no field and we were losing members all due to bad leadership along with the dreaded club politics so many clubs suffer from. Six guys turned it around rallied the troops and we have never looked back.

Glad your club turned it around and is doing well. What's being done to mentor individuals to replaced any of those six key members when the time comes?

If your club has issues the AMA cannot help you. Your choice is step up find the right people and get it back on track or live with what you have. It's just that simple.

Managing club politics is not the role of the AMA.

Same here.

Mike
Above in red.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:54 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Figure this one a long time R/C and full scale friend moved up north after retirement and found a club in the Rice Lake area of Wisconsin. He came down for a family reunion this week end and told us of these two clubs. One he frequents is about an hours drive from his home and is an AMA field Really nice with an inclosed building and nice grass field. Some 37 members in all. 20 minutes from his home is a much better Private strip with century fences for the pilots and spectators bleachers ect The place has 2 car tracks too. When ever he stops by to fly, there is no one there. He's never seen anyone there flying. It's all free no yearly dues or AMA required. Go figure why it isn't well supported.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer

I see, the old, "I only have specific numbers when they directly benefit my position" trick. Well played, again. You are a businessman, correct? If so, are those the same quantities you use when ordering from your suppliers or shipping orders to your customers?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Duncman

That is what I meant in my "politics" comment. Soft skills are very important but I'm not sure the AMA is the best place to get that training. Some people have it naturally and on the other side of the spectrum, others will never have it no matter what, soft skills training is for the rest of us that fall between and most of that is/should be acquired in home,school, some employers teach it, the power of the peers or better known as the school of hard knocks are all good places to develop that, not the AMA. Heck it is hard enough for people to read the stuff on there now, throw in the touchy/feely stuff and you may really lose them. This is just my opinion.

Example of club politics. My club is very progressive in almost all arena's, proactive with the community, cooperative within ourselves, support our fellow members in their efforts by mentoring, I could go on, but we fall woefully short in attracting new blood into the hobby. Sure, somebody stops by the field and shows an interest and we all encourage and advise but the club has no program in place to attract people into the hobby, only after you take the first step does the membership show an interest in a newbie and I have to say they can be very supportive on the mechanics but there is no formal or even cursory training program in place on flying skills and that has discouraged many a would be pilot. Sadly this shortcoming will likely not be resolved due to internal resistance. Is this a soft skill issue? Of course, and the AMA discusses this very subject at length and yet it does no good with our club and likely many other clubs around it's realm of influence. This is not an AMA issue, rather it is something we as a club have to resolve if we wish to promote the sport, the soft skill level is there, but it is not all that refined at this point in our evolution. I hope I have not lost you with this winded response, but I thought the observation important.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:07 AM
Duncman

It's just that simple.

Mike
Well said.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

FTFY. Looking back it seems that you're okey dokey when someone agrees with ya...but otherwise, not so much. Oh well...back to flying.
Such a common thread in this hobby....
Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Duplicate.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 08-23-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
That is what I meant in my "politics" comment. Soft skills are very important but I'm not sure the AMA is the best place to get that training. Some people have it naturally and on the other side of the spectrum, others will never have it no matter what, soft skills training is for the rest of us that fall between and most of that is/should be acquired in home,school, some employers teach it, the power of the peers or better known as the school of hard knocks are all good places to develop that, not the AMA. Heck it is hard enough for people to read the stuff on there now, throw in the touchy/feely stuff and you may really lose them. This is just my opinion.

Example of club politics. My club is very progressive in almost all arena's, proactive with the community, cooperative within ourselves, support our fellow members in their efforts by mentoring, I could go on, but we fall woefully short in attracting new blood into the hobby. Sure, somebody stops by the field and shows an interest and we all encourage and advise but the club has no program in place to attract people into the hobby, only after you take the first step does the membership show an interest in a newbie and I have to say they can be very supportive on the mechanics but there is no formal or even cursory training program in place on flying skills and that has discouraged many a would be pilot. Sadly this shortcoming will likely not be resolved due to internal resistance. Is this a soft skill issue? Of course, and the AMA discusses this very subject at length and yet it does no good with our club and likely many other clubs around it's realm of influence. This is not an AMA issue, rather it is something we as a club have to resolve if we wish to promote the sport, the soft skill level is there, but it is not all that refined at this point in our evolution. I hope I have not lost you with this winded response, but I thought the observation important.
I don't know the level of resistance within your club regarding this issue, but in my experience as a club officer I've found the vast majority of club members to be fair and reasonable. The resistance in my club comes from a small number of vocal members. When it comes time to vote on a club issue the resistance is always outnumbered. The key to getting a new plan or program approved by the membership is being well prepared and well thought out and I cannot emphasize this enough . Talk is cheap, it's the vote by the membership that counts.

Perhaps your club could consider purchasing a club trainer and have a designated training night during the flying season, or have a buddy system for new potential members to keep them engaged. Lots of easy ideas here.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 08-23-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM
astrohog

Such a common thread in this thread.

Astro
Old 08-23-2015, 09:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
Such a common thread in this thread.

Astro
You can say that again, again.
Take a step back, if possible, and look at the comments from those talking about anger, and making comments about "well I wouldn't want you in my club etc", and calling other people names like troll, all because they don't agree with them. Those are not coming from me, nor most of the people that have made comments here, just a select few.

RCKen noted in this or another thread about things like this probably not happening if everyone was sitting together flying airplanes at a field. Typing on a keyboard to nameless and faceless people for the most part is pretty different than face to face. It's easier to take umbrage to a comment in writing and type a response back, not quite the same in person.I haven't really seen anyone here I wouldn't welcome in to fly at the club I fly at, and I'm sure the conversation might have the same substantive information and talking points, but lack what might be perceived as animus.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-23-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added not...
Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM
astrohog

You can say that again, again.
Take a step back, if possible, and look at the comments from those talking about anger, and making comments about "well I wouldn't want you in my club etc", and calling other people names like troll, all because they don't agree with them. Those are coming from me, nor most of the people that have made comments here, just a select few.

RCKen noted in this or another thread about things like this probably not happening if everyone was sitting together flying airplanes at a field. Typing on a keyboard to nameless and faceless people for the most part is pretty different than face to face. It's easier to take umbrage to a comment in writing and type a response back, not quite the same in person.I haven't really seen anyone here I wouldn't welcome in to fly at the club I fly at, and I'm sure the conversation might have the same substantive information and talking points, but lack what might be perceived as animus.
I did and continue to, take a step back. I am not innocent, I have let my passion and frustration get the best of me on this thread (and others!). I am not here to be "right". I have my beliefs and they are based on many years of experience and travels in this hobby. I know a great many people in this hobby all over the country and have regular conversations with them about the state of our hobby and I try to relate these experiences here, in these threads for the benefit of providing another perspective to those who are new or may not have traveled outside of their local field enough to have experienced a broader cross-section of our hobby.

All I ask is that others here take a step back as well. I have been repeatedly accused of all kinds of thing on this thread by those that are just as guilty of the same things. If we can't grow up enough to move past these things, admit our shortcomings and engage in positive, relevant discussions in order to move forward and find solutions to the issues we face (at least we all agree we have issues!), our banter here is nothing more than just that, childish banter.

Now, let's see who else is man enough to own up and acknowledge their part in this debacle and move on.

Regards,

Astro
Old 08-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Duncman

I don't know the level of resistance within your club regarding this issue, but in my experience as a club officer I've found the vast majority of club members to be fair and reasonable. The resistance in my club comes from a small number of vocal members. When it comes time to vote on a club issue the resistance is always outnumbered. The key to getting a new plan or program approved by the membership is being well prepared and well thought out and I cannot emphasize this enough . Talk is cheap, it's the vote by the membership that counts.

Perhaps your club could consider purchasing a club trainer and have a designated training night during the flying season, or have a buddy system for new potential members to keep them engaged. Lots of easy ideas here.
Clubs are definitely a "majority rules" environment and the way our by-laws are set up that majority only has to be at a regular meeting. I interact a lot with a lot of members that are in the background, some are disgruntled with the direction of the club to the point of refusing to attend the meetings because they don't see anything going their way. Please let me shout out right now in the hopes that someone may see, "YOU ONLY STAND A CHANCE OF GETTING A BIT OF WHAT YOU WANT IF YOU GO TO THE MEETINGS". I've said this numerous times to the same individuals and they never show up, just hang out and complain, it is almost like that is their comfort zone. Am I frustrated, to some degree yes, but I go to the meetings and most of what I'd like to see gets implemented, I fight the battles I think I stand a chance of winning but, like in all other of life's endeavors, the one that escapes me is a new pilot training program, there is no support in the membership that attends the meetings to implement this effort. Sadly in some regards I can understand the resistance, they want to see a strong commitment from the newbie before taking the individual under their wing or in the case of say a 10 year old, being a babysitter, and that has happened, I get that, I guess. Still think we need to have a training program though, it is only right. on your suggestion of a plane donation, I have an old Sig Kadet Senior that needs recovering, conversion to conventional gear and electrified, still airworthy otherwise and my goal is to donate that, still would like to have several flight instructors on board but even those that are interested want their own pet programs in place. Setting them down to come to a consensus is akin to getting them to come to a meeting. So yes, I'm frustrated but I will continue to move forward and sooner or later something will fall into place, I'm sure.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Of the 5 clubs to which i pay dues 2 have some sort of training. My summer club has a very informal pilot training system where one of our members does 90% of the training His choice. The Winter club in AZ has 200 to 300 members Depending on time of year. We have 12 or 13 instructors and a formal training manual that a student gets. We also instituted a program where all the instructors are all INTRO Pilots. the club says that anyone can fly with an intro pilot With out joining the club or AMA for 60 days. The big problem is 11 of the Intro Pilots and the chief Instructor still work, so that leaves only 2 of that are retired. So Because the other guy only teaches ounce in a while the bulk of the instruction the last couple of winters fell to me. I had as many as 14 students at a time. Several were not too dedicated so didn't go far, others soloed and went on to join the AMA and the club. So to some up There a lot of different scenarios clubs can follow, even offering your self to help anyone that takes an interest no mater how much or little.
We have a couple of students at m summer club that will never get it but with the new SAFE Techonolegy they are having FUN (Sort of) and that what really maters.

Last edited by HoundDog; 08-23-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.