Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:22 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK your using a policy change from March 21, 2011 that does not pertain to the whole membership to prove to me that the AMA is in touch with the membership in August of 2015.
What's wrong with that picture?
Isn't this thread about the 2015 dues increase?

[h=1]Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....[/h]Yep just checked, it sure is.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-24-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
"The AMA Executive Council has listened to the concerns of AMA members who are exposed to an increased risk of being held liable for the duties they perform on behalf of the Academy,said Dave Mathewson, president of the AMA."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/A...ge-release.pdf
That is a nice "perk" if you can call it that for those that decide to throw their hand in the air and accept additional responsibilities. For me personally it wouldn't stop me from getting involved if it wasn't there, and I would guess not many people were on the fence about doing that based on if this passed or not, but again, the additional coverage is nice. It's even better given the extremely litigious society we live in now.

FWIW I see nothing wrong with this "picture" as you just presented it. A perfectly acceptable point to note that the EC does listen to it's membership and instead of saying hey ya, that's right, the point get's attacked. Although there was no prior indication that your points had to have a date of them, for say, like 2015 forward, that nonetheless became the takeaway from a good example.

And then this:

*************** OK your using a policy change from March 21, 2011 that does not pertain to the whole membership to prove to me that the AMA is in touch with the membership in 2015. What's wrong with that picture? Mike ***************

Gets changed to this:

OK your using a policy change from March 21, 2011 that does not pertain to the whole membership to prove to me that the AMA is in touch with the membership in August of 2015.

Yep just checked, it sure is.

Mike

Time and effort spent not to consider the point you made, but to try to find a way to diminish it, then change the point of discussion.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Actually, it does pertain to the entire membership as the entire membership benefits from having more AMA members willing to volunteer for positions representing the AMA such as:

"This includes, but is not limited to, Contest Coordinators, District Safety Officers, Contest Directors, Event Directors, Leader Members, Large Model Aircraft Inspectors, Air Show Team Managers, Associate Vice Presidents, Contest Board Members, and World Championship Team Leaders."
Old 08-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
That is a nice "perk" if you can call it that for those that decide to throw their hand in the air and accept additional responsibilities. For me personally it wouldn't stop me from getting involved if it wasn't there, and I would guess not many people were on the fence about doing that based on if this passed or not, but again, the additional coverage is nice. It's even better given the extremely litigious society we live in now.

FWIW I see nothing wrong with this "picture" as you just presented it. A perfectly acceptable point to note that the EC does listen to it's membership and instead of saying hey ya, that's right, the point get's attacked. Although there was no prior indication that your points had to have a date of them, for say, like 2015 forward, that nonetheless became the takeaway from a good example.

And then this:

*************** OK your using a policy change from March 21, 2011 that does not pertain to the whole membership to prove to me that the AMA is in touch with the membership in 2015. What's wrong with that picture? Mike ***************

Gets changed to this:

Yep just checked, it sure is.

Mike

Time and effort spent not to consider the point you made, but to try to find a way to diminish it, then change the point of discussion.
I guess some folks will never be happy with anything the AMA does. Expecting to get consensus on something from all 170k+ AMA members just highlights how out of touch some folks really are.

Heck, just look at AMA voter turnout:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/new...ction-results/

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 08-24-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

I guess some folks will never be happy with anything the AMA does. Expecting to get consensus on something from all 170k+ AMA members just highlights how out of touch some folks really are.

Heck, just look at AMA voter turnout:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/new...ction-results/

Right, and in the event there is something done that can be seen as a positive there will be those that insist it's a negative. Some folks need to see the bad in everything, or have a "cause". Before the expected responses come rolling in, I mean this as a general statement, not just about this hobby. But to you point this:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #d4d4d4, colspan: 2"][h=3]Executive Vice President[/h] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gary Fitch[/TD]
[TD]7,067[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Horrace Cain[/TD]
[TD]4,085[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Others[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Less than 12,000 people voted for what we can assume is a pretty imporant role in this organization. Less than 12,000 out of how many potential voters? Oh, and this was at a time when both parties made their thoughts on "drone" issue pretty clear. Well, one of them was pretty clear all along, the party had to be poked and prodded on the issue and the first answer given was classic politicians talk. When pressed, he said what he was felt about it. The result was a decisive victory for Gary.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Right, and in the event there is something done that can be seen as a positive there will be those that insist it's a negative. Some folks need to see the bad in everything, or have a "cause". Before the expected responses come rolling in, I mean this as a general statement, not just about this hobby. But to you point this:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #d4d4d4, colspan: 2"]Executive Vice President
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gary Fitch[/TD]
[TD]7,067[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Horrace Cain[/TD]
[TD]4,085[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Others[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Less than 12,000 people voted for what we can assume is a pretty imporant role in this organization. Less than 12,000 out of how many potential voters? Oh, and this was at a time when both parties made their thoughts on "drone" issue pretty clear. Well, one of them was pretty clear all along, the party had to be poked and prodded on the issue and the first answer given was classic politicians talk. When pressed, he said what he was felt about it. The result was a decisive victory for Gary.
Makes me wonder how many of "active" folks on these rc forums actually voted....
Old 08-24-2015, 01:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

went back to that link again. For the district races, there were basically 17 states represented there, and in each district an average of 1,000 people voted in each district. So about 4,000 people in 17 states. Wow. A majority win in all but one district, the other being a landslide.

Perhaps those that didn't vote were happy with the folks that were in those positions, and agreed with what they were doing.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM
rcmiket

Makes me wonder how many of "active" folks on these rc forums actually voted....

I did even though I had to use my own stamp.

Mike
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Dokesflyer

The intro pilot program used to charge clubs to list instructors that has been waived. There never should have been a charge in the first place for clubs trying to promote the hobby.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...pilotdesc.aspx

Mike
Do you ever see good in anything?
Old 08-24-2015, 02:21 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Do you ever see good in anything?

Everyday. I don't see value in charging clubs for something that would produce more members. Apparently they saw that also and changed it. Which is a good thing.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-24-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Dokesflyer

Everyday. I don't see value in charging clubs for something that would produce more members. Apparently they saw that also and changed it. Which is a good thing.

Mike
That it is! However the change was not that much about producing members, it was more about not charging (and thanking) clubs/members that actively volunteer to promote the hobby to the general public. We all know there are not enough volunteers.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Seeing how you consider this a good thing, would consider the AMA's decision to eliminate this trivial fee consistent with the AMA being in touch or out of touch with the membership?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
That it is! However the change was not that much about producing members, it was more about not charging (and thanking) clubs/members that actively volunteer to promote the hobby to the general public. We all know there are not enough volunteers.
Everything's about growing the membership.

Mike
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Duncman

I believe this program is the one you would be most interested in:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...pilotdesc.aspx
Would have sworn it said 2 sessions, 60 days is way better for the student. Thank you
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Duncman
Would have sworn it said 2 sessions, 60 days is way better for the student. Thank you
Don't forget that the club is required to keep records and the IP is required to file the proper paperwork with the AMA with 48 hours of the first flight.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Everything's about growing the membership.

Mike
Can't remember your position on that. Is it bad for an organization to grow the membership, or are efforts better spent on limiting growth, or better yet actively ridding itself of members?

I'm on the side of growth, the hobby is too fun to keep it exclusive.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:22 PM
rcmiket

Can't remember your position on that. Is it bad for an organization to grow the membership, or are efforts better spent on limiting growth, or better yet actively ridding itself of members?

I'm on the side of growth, the hobby is too fun to keep it exclusive.
Growth is necessary for survival. Look around your field all that grey hair. That's why the AMA is pushing the "drone" thing so hard. Only time will tell if the effort will pay off and offset the expenditure. .

Mike
Old 08-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Growth is necessary for survival. Look around your field all that grey hair. That's why the AMA is pushing the "drone" thing so hard. Only time will tell if the effort will pay off and offset the expenditure. .

Mike
Perhaps the AMA is more "in touch" than most realize, or admit....
Old 08-24-2015, 05:42 PM
rcmiket

Perhaps the AMA is more "in touch" than most realize, or admit....
Or not who's to know?
Guess we'll get that answer in a few short months when renewals start.

Mike
Old 08-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Or not who's to know?
Guess we'll get that answer in a few short months when renewals start.

Mike
I'd rather take a longer term view, say 3-5 years to see what comes out of the the multi-rotor recruiting efforts. The dues increase is still a few years away for those who took advantage of the AMA's special offer.

Sometimes you need to sacrifice what you want now, for what you want eventually.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:20 PM
rcmiket

We'll get a good look into what's happening when the 2015 financials hit. This year it took till July to get them posted.

Mike
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
The gangs all here!

....it's like our own thread now. ha!

2016 is when you'll be able to start seeing statistically relevant data that might show growth, stagnation, or shrinkage. And it's not uncommon to see some financial from the prior year released later into the next year,

As for the hair at our club...I'm happy to report it's a mix of colors. Our board has made a concerted effort to seek out new members of all types. It's probably the thing I'm most proud of our club for, in terms of achievements. From 125 to 180 and change in 4 years, more children than ever, more females than ever, more family memberships than ever, more people joining AMA to join us than ever, more diversity overall. If I could sign up a girl scout troop I could, I've tried to get them to the field as well. It takes work and creativity and risk, some efforts fall flat. We've tried free AMA, club memberships, and a complete airplane and gear packages to kids in the town we're in, no luck. But then someone from two states away will join...go figure. There are still many different ways to promote the club and the hobby, but life and work and family get in the way.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

As for the hair at our club...I'm happy to report it's a mix of colors. Our board has made a concerted effort to seek out new members of all types. It's probably the thing I'm most proud of our club for, in terms of achievements. From 125 to 180 and change in 4 years, more children than ever, more females than ever, more family memberships than ever, more people joining AMA to join us than ever, more diversity overall. If I could sign up a girl scout troop I could, I've tried to get them to the field as well. It takes work and creativity and risk, some efforts fall flat. We've tried free AMA, club memberships, and a complete airplane and gear packages to kids in the town we're in, no luck. But then someone from two states away will join...go figure. There are still many different ways to promote the club and the hobby, but life and work and family get in the way.
Good job! IMHO recruiting (another soft skill) is or will be the biggest challenge facing clubs today or in the near future. In years past clubs had a steady stream of recruits walking through the door to become members. Times have changed and few recognize the need to proactively recruit new members.

My club is small and has a capped membership, but we've worked very hard to keep the roster full and have a waiting list for those who wish to join.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

What is the purpose of the "capped" membership? I didn't understand that at my club, even more so since we had a huge field, and were public/town property. I couldn't see having an event that people attended, and then having a father and his son try to join, only to be told no sorry, check back next year. The cap was the first thing I moved to take away when I became a club officer. I suppose there might be a good reason to have the cap, I just didn't see it.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What is the purpose of the "capped" membership? I didn't understand that at my club, even more so since we had a huge field, and were public/town property. I couldn't see having an event that people attended, and then having a father and his son try to join, only to be told no sorry, check back next year. The cap was the first thing I moved to take away when I became a club officer. I suppose there might be a good reason to have the cap, I just didn't see it.
It's a requirement of the landlord, field is on private property. There are other clubs in the surrounding area so it's not much of an issue as members belong to multiple clubs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.