Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
It's a requirement of the landlord, field is on private property. There are other clubs in the surrounding area so it's not much of an issue as members belong to multiple clubs.
I'm opposed to capped membership now, but our club has bantered that thought around and may go that route in the future and we do not have landlord requirements. The main reason I hear is some are worried that managing a large membership would be too burdensome on the administrative side and in field usage. I'll not enter a discussion defending that thought since I neither see the need nor do I agree with it, just something that has been said by a few isolated souls. My "now" disclaimer is covering my rear in case there are future unforeseen events that would necessitate a change in opinion.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Duncman
I'm opposed to capped membership now, but our club has bantered that thought around and may go that route in the future and we do not have landlord requirements. The main reason I hear is some are worried that managing a large membership would be too burdensome on the administrative side and in field usage. I'll not enter a discussion defending that thought since I neither see the need nor do I agree with it, just something that has been said by a few isolated souls. My "now" disclaimer is covering my rear in case there are future unforeseen events that would necessitate a change in opinion.
During my informative years in the hobby I never understood why a club would want a capped membership either. However, 15+ years later in the hobby I now have first hand experience with both, I've been a member of a very large club with 160+ members and also much smaller clubs with capped memberships. After my experience in both, I now understand loud and clear why some clubs have capped memberships.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 AM
Duncman

During my informative years in the hobby I never understood why a club would want a capped membership either. However, 15+ years later in the hobby I now have first hand experience with both, I've been a member of a very large club with 160+ members and also much smaller clubs with capped memberships. After my experience in both, I now understand loud and clear why some clubs have capped memberships.
That is why I gave a disclaimer, things change. Our club has a large paved runway, paved apron, concrete pits with awning and flush toilets, takes $$$ to maintain, $$$ comes from members, lots of members so a cap would be an impediment to our operations as well as being counterintuitive to AMA's mission, but you never know, we could become overwhelmed or the field could get too congested. As it is, it gets 7 days a week use and the weekends are very heavy. We are way out in the sticks off of a narrow road used by cattle ranchers, they may start complaining about traffic. Any scenario is possible I suppose, I just do not like that thought, there would have to be some very compelling reasons before I would support.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
That is why I gave a disclaimer, things change. Our club has a large paved runway, paved apron, concrete pits with awning and flush toilets, takes $$$ to maintain, $$$ comes from members, lots of members so a cap would be an impediment to our operations as well as being counterintuitive to AMA's mission, but you never know, we could become overwhelmed or the field could get too congested. As it is, it gets 7 days a week use and the weekends are very heavy. We are way out in the sticks off of a narrow road used by cattle ranchers, they may start complaining about traffic. Any scenario is possible I suppose, I just do not like that thought, there would have to be some very compelling reasons before I would support.
I agree, it's completely counter-intuitive to AMA's mission, however, it's also unrealistic to assume that any club can support an unlimited number of members so identifying a good balance is important. Sounds like you've already identified potential areas of concern that can lead to an unhappy membership and/or unhappy neighbors. I know of two clubs that grew substantially in a short period of time and the increased membership put their fields in frequent use. Now both clubs have been forced to take action due to noise complaints from the neighbors.

We have a tight budget as a result of the cap, but the membership wouldn't have it any other way (even if it could be increased), myself included.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never could understand why a club would put a cap on member ship. There are 2 clubs I know of in the area that do have caps one is a small club of 30 the other is capped at 250. The more members U have the less expensive the dues, U'd think. In all the clubs to witch I belong most members don't fly very much. Then there are Us O'l retired geezers there if the day ends in a "Y" except Rain"Y".
Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Duncman

I agree, it's completely counter-intuitive to AMA's mission, however, it's also unrealistic to assume that any club can support an unlimited number of members so identifying a good balance is important. Sounds like you've already identified potential areas of concern that can lead to an unhappy membership and/or unhappy neighbors. I know of two clubs that grew substantially in a short period of time and the increased membership put their fields in frequent use. Now both clubs have been forced to take action due to noise complaints from the neighbors.

We have a tight budget as a result of the cap, but the membership wouldn't have it any other way (even if it could be increased), myself included.
I can see where a cap on membership would be in order and I would hope the reasons would be compelling. Noise could definitely be a reason though our field is so far out in the sticks that the only time the neighbors notice is when we fly the turbines and then they come out like flies to watch, that is good, even some of the Warbird Racing events we hold they pay us no mind unless they want to spectate so we are good neighbors in that regard. Being in N. California we have a huge fire danger, maybe the traffic issue or fire could be compelling in the future, but that is all I can think of. If a club has a cap put in place that limits it's operation that is either external or internal then it needs to redefine it's operations or finance structure, simple as that, sounds like your examples responded to their issues in an appropriate manner.

I flew at a field once that had been there since time began (not really) and the community had grown up around it substantially. The site should have been shutdown a long time ago but the area has limited options so the club limited its use to helicopters and fixed wing under .50cid or electric equivalent to address the issue of the flight path being directly over a navigable and heavily used waterway and a heavily used pedestrian path. Relocating the flight path was not an option, either a public roadway interfered or there is several ball fields in play. Since I had come from afar on other business I opted to fly my 40 trainer, made a couple of laps and landed, it was crazy, even though I was legal there was nothing right about that. I always thought and still do that the site should be limited to helicopters only, that act in itself would limit a club membership, not a cap in the purest sense but certainly in practice. In my opinion a compelling reason.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:18 AM
rcmiket

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/faa-se...own-uav-pilots

To this point the FAA has relied on a community outreach program called “Know Before You Fly” to educate drone pilots about where they are permitted to operate. But after reports of drones grounding firefighting aircraft battling wildfires out west recently, the FAA decided to step up enforcement big time. It has levied fines in a few instances but says enforcement cases are set to rise sharply, with “dozens” of open cases now pending.

As part of its crackdown on unauthorized drone flights
, the FAA is asking the general public to report illegal flights to local law enforcement.

How much will this cost us?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-27-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:34 AM
islandflyer

Originally Posted by rcmiket

To this point the FAA has relied on a community outreach program called “Know Before You Fly” to educate drone pilots about where they are permitted to operate. But after reports of drones grounding firefighting aircraft battling wildfires out west recently, the FAA decided to step up enforcement big time. It has levied fines in a few instances but says enforcement cases are set to rise sharply, with “dozens” of open cases now pending.

As part of its crackdown on unauthorized drone flightsimage: http://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png
, the FAA is asking the general public to report illegal flights to local law enforcement.

How much will this cost us?

Mike
The link does not work.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by islandflyer
The link does not work.

Think the image thing was messing with it,

Mike
Old 08-27-2015, 04:11 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I didn't see anything in the article about the FAA billing the AMA or the modeling community for the stepped up enforcement. Have you checked with the FAA to see how much they've budgeted for this and where the funding will be coming from?
Old 08-27-2015, 04:19 AM
rcmiket

I didn't see anything in the article about the FAA billing the AMA or the modeling community for the stepped up enforcement. Have you checked with the FAA to see how much they've budgeted for this and where the funding will be coming from?
Since the AMA is adamant about spending money fighting the "drone" wars with the FAA If the FAA toughens it's stance and goes on the offensive will the AMA open the checkbook to fight back?. Cause and effect.
Just a FYI the FAA has deeper pockets than the AMA not to mention people in the right places to regulate this.

Mike
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Since the AMA is adamant about spending money fighting the "drone" wars with the FAA If the FAA toughens it's stance and goes on the offensive will the AMA open the checkbook to fight back?. Cause and effect.
Just a FYI the FAA has deeper pockets than the AMA not to mention people in the right places to regulate this.

Mike
The AMA does not support illegal operations. There's a reason the FAA is stepping up enforcement and no one following the AMA safety code is on their radar. If anything, I'd think the AMA is in favor of the FAA cracking down on illegal operations, I know I am.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:41 AM
rcmiket

The AMA does not support illegal operations. There's a reason the FAA is stepping up enforcement and no one following the AMA safety code is on their radar. If anything, I'd think the AMA is in favor of the FAA cracking down on illegal operations, I know I am.
OK I'll buy that.
I still have concerns and It remains to be seen just how all this will pan out and at what cost.

Mike
Old 08-27-2015, 05:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

OK I'll buy that.
I still have concerns and It remains to be seen just how all this will pan out and at what cost.

Mike
We all have concerns, the sooner the FAA makes a few examples out of a few rogue operators the better off we'll be (hopefully).
Old 08-27-2015, 05:14 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

however it falls out, the only fairly certain thing is, it will cost us taxpayers.
we pay for everything the government does.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:24 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
however it falls out, the only fairly certain thing is, it will cost us taxpayers.
we pay for everything the government does.
Ain't that the truth. Always seems like the ones picking up the tab are the ones not responsible for the problem.

Mike
Old 08-28-2015, 05:33 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

OK I'll buy that.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	2117015  
Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our AVP was at the field yesterday and I teased him a little about the dues increase and why he let them up it on us. He said that the AMA told all of the DP's, AVP's etc to got to the local club meetings and propose the increase to everyone beforehand and the overwhelming response from club members was to increase the amount, that it was no big deal. So I asked when the next one would come and how much is to much, he said probably not for awhile.. Lol
Old 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
He said that the AMA told all of the DP's, AVP's etc to got to the local club meetings and propose the increase to everyone beforehand and the overwhelming response from club members was to increase the amount, that it was no big deal.
Has anyone here had a District AVP or VP show up at their club meeting and discuss this? I know of no club my area had that pleasure. The first wind I got about the increase was from a friend who happens to be a leader member about 6 months ago.
edit
Sorry. I forgot that Mark from D8 offered to come down and meet with the locals (after the increase hit ) and I asked for clarification on why. So far our schedules haven't made it possible..
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 08-28-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'd be interested in knowing how many clubs reached out to their district VP or AVP and invited them to their club.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:32 PM
jonkoppisch

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'd be interested in knowing how many clubs reached out to their district VP or AVP and invited them to their club.
You mean so they could talk about the raised dues? Hard to do if you don't know it's coming.. Our AVP and used to be VP Tony Stillman were welcome to any club meeting.. Do the VP's or others need an invite?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

You mean so they could talk about the raised dues? Hard to do if you don't know it's coming.. Our AVP and used to be VP Tony Stillman were welcome to any club meeting.. Do the VP's or others need an invite?
Or how about talk about anything, doesn't have to be about dues, but it certainly could be. If they themselves were not aware, that's on them for not being in touch with their leaders. And ya, an invite would probably be nice, do they just show up at a field unannounced if they don't belong?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:02 PM
jonkoppisch

Or how about talk about anything, doesn't have to be about dues, but it certainly could be. If they themselves were not aware, that's on them for not being in touch with their leaders. And ya, an invite would probably be nice, do they just show up at a field unannounced if they don't belong?
So the clubs need to contact their leaders to find out vital information? Ours are invited. He flew at our field yesterday and we've had a talk before about being invited
Old 08-28-2015, 01:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

So the clubs need to contact their leaders to find out vital information? Ours are invited. He flew at our field yesterday and we've had a talk before about being invited
Did I say that?

If people don't know what is going on in general that is on them, there has been no shortage of information coming out from the AMA on plenty of topics. E-mails, website updates, leader club e-mails, the AMA magazine etc etc. "Leaders" don't need to show up to clubs to share vital information, but it's a nice touch when they do, and it's nice to see you invite them.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM
jonkoppisch

snip.... If they themselves were not aware, that's on them for not being in touch with their leaders.
thats how I read your comment..

Also, I believe when this happened was early in the process and they were testing the waters, right. Not something that had been widely published and advertised

Last edited by jonkoppisch; 08-28-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.