Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:05 AM
Duncman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
That is too funny, and so true. We have tents at our field, most of them have set up tables under them, and then directly in front run up tables. One member always sits under the one tent with no tables, as his 33% won't fit on the table. He parks his plane outside of the tent, just likes the shade of the tent. Anyone else can can in there, and usually they do. Another member eventually started to complain, why does so and so always "get" that tent. I said, get here earlier in the day and you can have it too, or better yet stop complaining and pull up a chair and say hello. Meanwhile, this guy has a few foamies that can fit anywhere. He never wanted that spot, just wanted to complain about someone else. And yes, they all have their favorite parking spots and almost always fly from the same flight station too!
We can be vain and vindictive sometimes. Friend of mine likes to sit with his back to the wall in a public place, restaurant's and such, aggravates me because he will literally push you aside to get that special seat. So's one day we are supposed to meet for lunch and I make a point to get there real early and get that choice seat, and when he shows up and see's the untenable situation (for him) he pitches a fit, was actually rather embarrassing but I stood my ground, he had a long meal and I digested well. Doubt if there is a place in heaven for me, though.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by rcmiket
First come first serve at our field but I normally like the east end. At our meetings I'm normally the one on the grill with the other club officers. Here's our Treasure.

Mike.
Man I want a seat next to you, I can feel the arteries plug up now!!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Duncman
Man I want a seat next to you, I can feel the arteries plug up now!!
Food is always a incentive to attend breakfast club meetings.

Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 AM
rcmiket

Just renewed for 2 years after checking our club roster on the website a good number of my fellow club members also have done the same. Another interesting item in the new Model Aviation I noticed is the New Lifetime Member side bar on page 11. I can't remember ever seeing that many in one month but with a 3 month lag time in publishing I don't know if this was dues increase related.

Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I noticed the increase in lifetime members earlier this year. I just pulled out the March 2015 issue of MA and counted 29 lifetime members recognized in that issue alone. That's significantly more than the small handful that's found in most issues. It's great to see so many members stepping up to the plate to support the AMA during this critical time. No matter how anyone feels about the AMA they are the only voice we have in Washington.

I'll publish the number of AMA renewals for my clubs after the 9/14 cutoff date.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 09-09-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
I noticed the increase in lifetime members earlier this year. I just pulled out the March 2015 issue of MA and counted 29 lifetime members recognized in that issue alone. That's significantly more than the small handful that's found in most issues. It's great to see so many members stepping up to the plate to support the AMA during this critical time. No matter how anyone feels about the AMA they are the only voice we have in Washington.

I'll publish the number of AMA renewals for my clubs after the 9/14 cutoff date.
After a bit of checking the increase notice went out 7-1-15 so I'm inclined to believe the increase in lifetime members may indeed be due to the dues increase,

Mike
Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

After a bit of checking the increase notice went out 7-1-15 so I'm inclined to believe the increase in lifetime members may indeed be due to the dues increase,

Mike
I'm sure that's a large part of it. The 29 listed in the 3/15 issue of MA is still significant as well.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:25 AM
rcmiket

Agreed 100%.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-09-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:51 AM
rcmiket

Just checked our clubs AMA renewals. 50% of our members took advantage of the reduced price. Most of those opted for 2 years. I honestly thought with December right around the corner more would have taken advantage of this.

Mike
Old 09-18-2015, 05:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I just looked at the three clubs I'm a member of and in two of those clubs about 50% are still showing expiration dates of 12/31/2015. In the other club which is the smallest of the three, 33% are still showing and expiration date of 12/31/2015.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:28 AM
rcmiket

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/06/do-we...ter-leash.html

700,000 expected to be sold this year can we expect 700,000 new AMA and club members?
Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 AM
TimJ

10 percent of that number MIGHT become members. In actuality, maybe only 1 percent........But I guess we will see how well our Local Hobby Shops and online only dealers help in spreading the word about www.knowbeforeyoufly.org and the AMA. There was a time when an aircraft never left the hobby shop with a customer without an application to join the AMA.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 AM
rcmiket

"But I guess we will see how well our Local Hobby Shops and online only dealers help in spreading the word about www.knowbeforeyoufly.org and the AMA."

I know for a fact that the "higher end" products such as Blade along with Yuncee both have the "Know before you fly" info right on top of the inner packing and we make it a point to inform each and every buyer about the AMA,Local Clubs ect. Honestly there seems to be little interest on their end.
I honestly hope that changes soon.
Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 10:07 AM
TimJ

Also Hobby People stores have Know Before You Fly flyers in their stores and information in their house brand products. Other manufactures and distributors have jumped on board with the Know Before You fly campaign.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/06/do-we...ter-leash.html

700,000 expected to be sold this year can we expect 700,000 new AMA and club members?
Mike
That comparison makes no sense. How many planes do you sell in your hobby shop each year? Do you think all of them become AMA members? If there are 200,000 planes sold nationwide this year, do you expect them all to become members of the AMA?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:24 PM
rcmiket

That comparison makes no sense. How many planes do you sell in your hobby shop each year? Do you think all of them become AMA members? If there are 200,000 planes sold nationwide this year, do you expect them all to become members of the AMA?
Actually most who buy planks do become AMA along with becoming a club member. They have to fly somewhere and Parks are a no no here due to city ordinances.
Sorry if it makes no sense.

Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 04:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

Actually most who buy planks do become AMA along with becoming a club member. They have to fly somewhere and Parks are a no no here due to city ordinances.
Sorry if it makes no sense.

Mike
It only makes no sense because it's not probable, and there is is no natural or presumed cause and effect. So I'll ask again and use your own example to illustrate the faulty logic. And before you take it personally...I'm commenting on the comment..not you.

200 "planks" sold will be sold this year, can we expect 200,000 new AMA and club members?

No, that's extremely doubtful, for the same reason it's doubtful to see 700,000 new AMA or club members who buy quads. Some "planks" are small enough to be flown inside a house, or a yard, or a baseball field, or in a larger non club field. Same with quads.

It also presumes those buying the items aren't already members of a club.

That beings said, it's far more likely someone buying a larger scale airplane is already a member of a club, and part of AMA. And for that matter, more than likely someone buying a plane in general might look to join a club rather than a quad buyer. IMO.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Good news. AMA closes out it's membership year on September 15th and again AMA membership has increased. Great job AMA.

Now is the time to start thinking about 2016. Some AMA programs have suspense dates such as TAG, Scholarships, Flying Field improvement, etc.

Remember if I can help you please ask.

Rusty Kennedy, L716
AVP,District IV
Chairman,Leader Member Development Committee
Leader Member Program Coordinator

Well that's more good news for sure. Hot off the press so to speak. Go figure, continued increase in membership even with the dues increase. I know the membership truthers will want specific numbers, and probably attribute the growth to anything other than what it is. But still, growth at this time is good news.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by TimJ
Also Hobby People stores have Know Before You Fly flyers in their stores and information in their house brand products. Other manufactures and distributors have jumped on board with the Know Before You fly campaign.
Hope people take the time to even read the instructions . When's the last time U read the part that comes with the arf kits ect. that says don't fly in congested and join the AMA which comes right after the part that says that U must balance the plane before U attempt to fly. No amount of reading material will stop the Idiot or the guy that thinks the rules don't pertain to him .... These Quads with cameras, with out FPV, will get boring and the majority of the survivors will sit on the shelf. Now if guys start racing the cheaper ones and it doesn't have the problems that RC Combat has/had it might stay for a while. Like Helios they aren't conducive with Fixed wing because they have to race over the runway with obstacles and such on the field. Possibly they would start their own field because it could be smaller than most and they don't fly out side the field to race.
JMHO and U know what they say about Opinions.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:39 AM
rcmiket

"How many planes do you sell in your hobby shop each year? Do you think all of them become AMA members?"

You asked I answered,

Mike
Old 10-03-2015, 04:47 AM
rcmiket

Good news. AMA closes out it's membership year on September 15th and again AMA membership has increased. Great job AMA.

Now is the time to start thinking about 2016. Some AMA programs have suspense dates such as TAG, Scholarships, Flying Field improvement, etc.

Remember if I can help you please ask.

Rusty Kennedy, L716
AVP,District IV
Chairman,Leader Member Development Committee
Leader Member Program Coordinator

Well that's more good news for sure. Hot off the press so to speak. Go figure, continued increase in membership even with the dues increase. I know the membership truthers will want specific numbers, and probably attribute the growth to anything other than what it is. But still, growth at this time is good news.
Growth in dollars or members? Dollars sure due to the increase and people jumping on the price.I've never seen actual member numbers anywhere, have you?

Mike
Old 10-03-2015, 08:17 AM
HoundDog

"How many planes do you sell in your hobby shop each year? Do you think all of them become AMA members?"

You asked I answered,

Mike
Mikey:
Who Asked? If U don't "Reply with Quotes" and just reply some of us (ME) have a hard time following along.

May be we should have a Thumbs UP, Thumbs Down on our posts then we'ed get an Idea how many like or disagree with a persons posts. What ya say Kenny, is it possible?
Just a suggestion.

Last edited by HoundDog; 10-03-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM
rcmiket

Sorry,
porcia83 asked I was just trying to cut to the chase with the quick qoute.

Mike
Old 10-03-2015, 02:30 PM
HoundDog

Thanks What do U think of Thumbs and Thumbs on all our posts. Might be enlighting what our brother RCers think but don't post.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Hope people take the time to even read the instructions . When's the last time U read the part that comes with the arf kits ect. that says don't fly in congested and join the AMA which comes right after the part that says that U must balance the plane before U attempt to fly. No amount of reading material will stop the Idiot or the guy that thinks the rules don't pertain to him .... These Quads with cameras, with out FPV, will get boring and the majority of the survivors will sit on the shelf. Now if guys start racing the cheaper ones and it doesn't have the problems that RC Combat has/had it might stay for a while. Like Helios they aren't conducive with Fixed wing because they have to race over the runway with obstacles and such on the field. Possibly they would start their own field because it could be smaller than most and they don't fly out side the field to race.
JMHO and U know what they say about Opinions.
I think that's exactly what's going to happen, just like last year. The newest craze/toy eventually dies down. The FPV racing has really come on strong this year, we've already been approached about hosting them at our field. I held off for this year, we were already jam packed with events and we don't have all the gates etc set up. I think it's going to be become pretty popular, might not reach pylon race level, but it's going to grow. This week I saw two more folks at the field with the racers, and these were guys that are plane pilots, and don't even fly helis!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.