Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Mikey:
Who Asked? If U don't "Reply with Quotes" and just reply some of us (ME) have a hard time following along.

May be we should have a Thumbs UP, Thumbs Down on our posts then we'ed get an Idea how many like or disagree with a persons posts. What ya say Kenny, is it possible?
Just a suggestion.

Thumbs up/thumbs down is an interesting proposition. I can think of other hand gestures that folks would like to have as well...can I get a AMITRITE? I'd just like them to make getting into the site easier, decrease lag time on posts, error out messages, having to resign in constantly, and now the new ads screwing up the screens. Then they can get to work on the post popularity stuff.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Growth in dollars or members? Dollars sure due to the increase and people jumping on the price.I've never seen actual member numbers anywhere, have you?

Mike
At first glance I'm tempted to say the growth in members would naturally mean a growth in dollars. How much would be the question, don't have enough data to look at either way, but I suspect one equals the other. Rusty's message just says increased membership, and again that can mean different things to different people. Maybe the outreach programs or new technologies, or school programs or whatever drove lots of kids to the AMA, so we increased the membership numbers, but that has no real affect on the dues they collected.

I've never seen a hard and fast exact number of members, at least I don't think so or recall it. General numbers might be gleaned from the financial reports, but again with different pricing levels the data could be skewed.

155,000 members sticks in my head for some reason, but without looking further I'm not sure why. Also the year just closed for them less than a month ago, usually takes them time to show results, if ever. It sure has picked up at our field, closing in on 200 plus including kids. Just got a family with father, two sons and a daughter joining. The daughter doesn't fly....yet. Might need to throw in a bribe or two. Need more kids and women at the field. I know, heresy some would say, just my imo.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Growth in dollars or members? Dollars sure due to the increase and people jumping on the price.I've never seen actual member numbers anywhere, have you?

Mike
Well 50,000 of the members are youth (free), maybe 25-30% of the whole membership....... subsidized by the Open members.

I heard by 2018 that the demographic will have shifted so much that the dues will be down 1/2 million from senior discount.

Of course that was before the dues increase.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I am vehemently against a dues increase. If I could fly without a AMA membership card, I would.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
At first glance I'm tempted to say the growth in members would naturally mean a growth in dollars.

Since they never talk actual numbers I'm inclined to use dollars.

I've never seen a hard and fast exact number of members, at least I don't think so or recall it. General numbers might be gleaned from the financial reports, but again with different pricing levels the data could be skewed.

I can't for the life of me understand why to don't post actual numbers. Seems like that would put a end to the membership increase or decline debate.

.Comments in bold .

Mike
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I am vehemently against a dues increase. If I could fly without a AMA membership card, I would.
Nothing Stopping U ... Go for it. Bet U R a ball of laughs at the field ...
Bad Mouthing the AMA.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

The increase went into effect on 9/15/2015.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 AM
HoundDog

I can't for the life of me understand why to don't post actual numbers. Seems like that would put a end to the membership increase or decline debate.
Comments in bold .

Mike
Mikey:
Ounce again "What's it Matter"? We fly for Fun and Comradery. I ounce suggested that we put of a Sign Stating 3 talking Taboos.
1.) Politics 2.) Religion 3.) Women. U know what happened those in favor argued about the order of importance and the placement on the sign. Any Way Motion failed about 18 to 4.

Comment in "RED" Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 AM
HoundDog

.Comments in bold .

Mike
Mike:
What field do U fly at in El Paso & what's your clubs Guest Policy. ... Just might take the southern Route to A.J. Arizona this year with stops in Austin, & Galveston
(if TARHEEL HAL is there) for Starters. Lots of Air Museums I've been swearing I'm gona Stop at on the way.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 AM
rcmiket

Mike:
What field do U fly at in El Paso & what's your clubs Guest Policy. ... Just might take the southern Route to A.J. Arizona this year with stops in Austin, & Galveston
(if TARHEEL HAL is there) for Starters. Lots of Air Museums I've been swearing I'm gona Stop at on the way.
Anyone may fly as a guest were very loose as far as that goes.
Feel free to contact me in if you hit town. 2 great flying sites on the far east side of town,
I agree on the Politics and Religion but women seem to creep in as a topic from time to time.

http://hcrcflyers.com/

War Eagles Museum is really great..

http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-04-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:18 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The increase went into effect on 9/15/2015.
Chris: what ya wana bet Tommy took advantage of the 2 year deal in lieu of the dues hike?
Old 10-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Chris: what ya wana bet Tommy took advantage of the 2 year deal in lieu of the dues hike?
I bet he did too. AMA haters are going to hate. The same small handful are pretty much guaranteed to show up in every AMA related thread here.

Of the three clubs I belong to I can see only 50% even took advantage of the incentive. That tells me the other 50% could care less about a few $$ increase.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 AM
rcmiket

I bet he did too. AMA haters are going to hate. The same small handful are pretty much guaranteed to show up in every AMA related thread here.

Of the three clubs I belong to I can see only 50% even took advantage of the incentive. That tells me the other 50% could care less about a few $$ increase.
I find it really sad that just becasue we question the direction our organization is taking were classified as "haters". So should we classify the ones who are die hard supporters as "sheep" ?
I do not hate the AMA I do disagree with the direction they are taking.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-04-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I find it really sad that just becasue we question the direction our organization is taking were classified as "haters". So should we classify the ones who are die hard supporters as "sheep" ?

Mike
My original post did not reference any specific individuals.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:38 AM
rcmiket

My original post did not reference any specific individuals.
I guess that's one way around it. My question still stands since you call them "haters" can the other side use the classification "sheep" for supporters?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-04-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess that's one way around it. My question still stands since you call them "haters" can the other side use the classification "sheep" for supporters?

Mike
Checkmate.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:43 AM
HoundDog

Mike
Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the "Direction your Club, City, State, Church, Government, AMA" is going the only thing is, the bigger the organization the less they listen to individuals. On the other hand U will get all kinds of "Helpful" feed back here From all the (us/we) posters to these threads. LOL on the helpfull.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:19 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

why dont everyone when they go to there club meetings vote on if they need a ama card or not iam 84 and have had mytime with the ama i signed up for 2 more years and after that ill fly where ever i can thats the way i feel everyone talks and no action being done so vote if your club wants everyone to be a ama menber or not
Old 10-04-2015, 03:50 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
why dont everyone when they go to there club meetings vote on if they need a ama card or not iam 84 and have had mytime with the ama i signed up for 2 more years and after that ill fly where ever i can thats the way i feel everyone talks and no action being done so vote if your club wants everyone to be a ama menber or not
If we did that we'ed be flying some place at a grate expence. It's the $5 million Land Owners Insurance that allows us to continue to fly. Our flying Field was sold 3 years ago and was going to be plowed under with the full scale run ways, The Owner has a son that became quadriplegic at 11. We provided a plane & every thing to fly and made Sure someone was there when he wanted to fly. Saved the field and at 27 he still flies with us. Just a great kid.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Tom Nied

This makes me an A.M.A hater? Does A.M.A. hear me? I don't think so. I guess I'm some kind of "bad guy".
Old 10-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Guys,
I've been in the AMA since I was 14 years old and still a member. The AMA insurance is needed in this sue crazy world we live in now. I fully support the AMA and will continue until I quite flying R/C. The raise in due's does not surprise me, since we have not had a rise in dues in years. Our club ended up having to raise our dues after 2007/8 when the financial world we live in took a nose dive. A few members lost everything and came to the club field to sell what they could. We ended up having to raise our club dues twice from $25.00/year to $100/per year. I supported the raise in club dues, because with out this influx of funds from the remaining members, our club would not be financially viable. Yet there were club members that were upset by this increase in dues. The dues supported the porta-potty and our club field equipment and the covered area for your models, field benches and lunch area.

Being over 65 years of age, and taking advantage of the dual year AMA dues offer...I made out ok. Some things we just need to pay for to enjoy our hobby and yes...the AMA has a monopoly for insurance in this hobby and I'm ok with that. Over the years there have been others try to get into the hobby insurance, but none were successful. The AMA have in my opinion served the hobby well and have faced the FAA that would care less if this hobby continues in this country. The AMA is what it is and costs what it does, and with out their insurance, there would be no or very little model airplane hobby. Yet some club members complained about this and when you figure out the cost of just one model...our club dues are very reasonable.

The AMA may not be perfect...but what is in this world. I do believe the AMA does the best they can and because of their country wide insurance, I've been able to fly at other model fields with out a problem, as a guest.

Just my opinion...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This makes me an A.M.A hater? Does A.M.A. hear me? I don't think so. I guess I'm some kind of "bad guy".
Tom our personal situations are all different.
Personally, I would not want to fly anywhere without liability insurance. Not just to protect myself, but I think I have a moral obligation to be financially prepared to repair someone that I've injured.
Instead of shopping for my own coverage, membership with the AMA has always made the most sense / least effort regardless whether I'm in a club or not. We both know that the AMA has a virtual monopoly when it comes to acceptance at club fields, so that is obviously my other driving factor to stick with the AMA.
If your situation is different, then no one knows better than you what is best for Tom.
It certainly is a stretch to label you a "Hater"....how about simply "Disgruntled"...?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Aloha Guys,
I've been in the AMA since I was 14 years old and still a member. The AMA insurance is needed in this sue crazy world we live in now. I fully support the AMA and will continue until I quite flying R/C. The raise in due's does not surprise me, since we have not had a rise in dues in years. Our club ended up having to raise our dues after 2007/8 when the financial world we live in took a nose dive. A few members lost everything and came to the club field to sell what they could. We ended up having to raise our club dues twice from $25.00/year to $100/per year. I supported the raise in club dues, because with out this influx of funds from the remaining members, our club would not be financially viable. Yet there were club members that were upset by this increase in dues. The dues supported the porta-potty and our club field equipment and the covered area for your models, field benches and lunch area.

Being over 65 years of age, and taking advantage of the dual year AMA dues offer...I made out ok. Some things we just need to pay for to enjoy our hobby and yes...the AMA has a monopoly for insurance in this hobby and I'm ok with that. Over the years there have been others try to get into the hobby insurance, but none were successful. The AMA have in my opinion served the hobby well and have faced the FAA that would care less if this hobby continues in this country. The AMA is what it is and costs what it does, and with out their insurance, there would be no or very little model airplane hobby. Yet some club members complained about this and when you figure out the cost of just one model...our club dues are very reasonable.

The AMA may not be perfect...but what is in this world. I do believe the AMA does the best they can and because of their country wide insurance, I've been able to fly at other model fields with out a problem, as a guest.

Just my opinion...

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Well said sir. Real estate for an RC club must come at a steep premium where you are locate.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Tom Nied

Disgruntled. Perfect, that's me. I feel better already. Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 AM
Duncman

Originally Posted by porcia83
I think that's exactly what's going to happen, just like last year. The newest craze/toy eventually dies down. The FPV racing has really come on strong this year, we've already been approached about hosting them at our field. I held off for this year, we were already jam packed with events and we don't have all the gates etc set up. I think it's going to be become pretty popular, might not reach pylon race level, but it's going to grow. This week I saw two more folks at the field with the racers, and these were guys that are plane pilots, and don't even fly helis!
Our local club and LHS is getting a lot of interest from folks that want to fly Quad Racing, most, not all, are off the street. It is a fad at this point but like all fads and as you say, it will die down and a number of enthusiast's will stick around for the long haul, just like anything else. I would be disappointed in AMA if they did not capitalize on that technology and bring these folks into the fold so to speak. JMHO also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.