Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I am vehemently against a dues increase. If I could fly without a AMA membership card, I would.

This makes me an A.M.A hater? Does A.M.A. hear me? I don't think so. I guess I'm some kind of "bad guy".
Tommy:
My good man.
Being from Illinois, one of the most litigious, states in the union and U'ed give up 2.5 million in secondary insurance for an extra $17 / year. Man U can't take your wife and kids to Mickey D's for $17 bucks. If something bad happens, It's not ging to be the public who's going to sue U but one of your flying buddies. When it comes to Money most friendships are out the window.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

you can argue all you want but the real truth of what the increase will do will be the results of how many don't renew or do renew, If member ship increases than the due increase doesn't matter if there is a big loss in membership than it did matter. lets wait and see what happens.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waco
you can argue all you want but the real truth of what the increase will do will be the results of how many don't renew or do renew, If member ship increases than the due increase doesn't matter if there is a big loss in membership than it did matter. lets wait and see what happens.
I also believe that will be the bottom line.

Mike
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Tommy:
My good man.
Being from Illinois, one of the most litigious, states in the union and U'ed give up 2.5 million in secondary insurance for an extra $17 / year. Man U can't take your wife and kids to Mickey D's for $17 bucks. If something bad happens, It's not ging to be the public who's going to sue U but one of your flying buddies. When it comes to Money most friendships are out the window.
The whole lawsuit deal is a "what if " could it happen sure. Wonder how many have been filed against clubs,members or the AMA?

Mike
Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Waco
One of the clubs I fly at in AZ. Realized that in 10 to 15 years they may have to replace their 100' x 760' Asphalt runway. (3 years ago they paid 52 Grand to resurface it). Anyway they went from $75/yr to $100 / year well they went from 300+ members to a little over 200 by April when I left. I see that the member ship is up to 270 something so it'sl return especially with snow birds back this winter. But yes a dues increase can affect membership levels. But most get over it in time.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

pay up or get out they got us
Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Duncman
Our local club and LHS is getting a lot of interest from folks that want to fly Quad Racing, most, not all, are off the street. It is a fad at this point but like all fads and as you say, it will die down and a number of enthusiast's will stick around for the long haul, just like anything else. I would be disappointed in AMA if they did not capitalize on that technology and bring these folks into the fold so to speak. JMHO also.
IMHO the AMA realizes this is and making many efforts to capitalize on it. Just look at page 6 of the Oct. 2015 issue of MA.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
pay up or get out they got us
Man it only a big breakfast & a senior coffee for breakfast, A big mack and fries w/ a shake for lunch, and a couple of sausage egg and biscuit for supper cause U at the Junk food for lunch.And they don't even provide any Tums or pepto with that.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket
The whole lawsuit deal is a "what if " could it happen sure. Wonder how many have been filed against clubs,members or the AMA?

Mike
In Illinois or the real world?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
IMHO the AMA realizes this is and making many efforts to capitalize on it. Just look at page 6 of the Oct. 2015 issue of MA.
Might be fun till it get's so competitive the average R/C can't compete or the same guy(s) always win. I'd personally like to try RC combat or just plane TO's and Landings under FPV.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 AM
HoundDog

Man a whole bunch of us are Retired, Unemployed or the weather is bad like here, to be here Talking Stupid. Looks like Under Ground says Sunny Light winds and 69 tomorrow. Might even get one outa the car tomorrow. Putting the wings on is a whole lot of work. And since 1 Nov 2000, WORK has been a 4 letter word. of course in 11or 12 days I'll hopefully be in AZ and the temps in the highs 90's for a while. If I get the New Trailer done.
It's Work U know.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM
rcmiket

In Illinois or the real world?

The real world. My kids live up there. While I enjoy visiting there I'll stick with Texas.

Mike
Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Actually, I prefer being called "grumpy and disgruntled".
Old 10-05-2015, 10:36 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Actually, I prefer being called "grumpy and disgruntled".
Grumpy & Disgruntled has a distinguished ring to it, too.
To be honest, over the past several years when I make out that check for $58, I ask myself a couple of things...

1...What did I used to pay before it became $58..? It seems like it has ALWAYS been $58, but I'm sure it was much less when I first signed up almost 30 years ago.

2....How much longer will the AMA be able to maintain the Status Quo at $58 x 150,000...?

The AMA could probably set dues even higher without seeing a self defeating drop off in membership.
We all have our own ideas about what something is worth and the way I arrive at an informed opinion is to do a little price comparison online. When it comes to some things like service providers, I'm not going to spend an hour or more in search of a $20 yearly savings, but I would gladly spend that much time to save ohhh...$100 for sure.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Grumpy & Disgruntled has a distinguished ring to it, too.
To be honest, over the past several years when I make out that check for $58, I ask myself a couple of things...

1...What did I used to pay before it became $58..? It seems like it has ALWAYS been $58, but I'm sure it was much less when I first signed up almost 30 years ago.

2....How much longer will the AMA be able to maintain the Status Quo at $58 x 150,000...?

The AMA could probably set dues even higher without seeing a self defeating drop off in membership.
We all have our own ideas about what something is worth and the way I arrive at an informed opinion is to do a little price comparison online. When it comes to some things like service providers, I'm not going to spend an hour or more in search of a $20 yearly savings, but I would gladly spend that much time to save ohhh...$100 for sure.
How about crusty and honery, I'll own that some days.

I suspect you're right about the dues increases not really having that much of an adverse effect. Although I think in another threat there was something about the membership dropping 3,000 members the last time the dues were raised, but if there was 150k or so members then, on the net drop was 3,000, don't know if that drop was as a result of dues, or just odd timing.

Interestingly, I looked at our club, out of about 180, just under 50 took advantage of it. We certainly talked about it at meetings and folks were talking about it, so again who knows. I'd be interested to see what our district did overall. I spoke to one of the officers of District ll who said the response was overwhelming. Wonder if there is a big difference from a geographic perspective. I wouldn't think so, money is money.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:59 AM
combatpigg

Try to visualize an extreme scenario where the membership dropped to 75,000 and in order to maintain the Status Quo the AMA decided to double dues to $116 in order to compensate.
I'm willing to bet that the remaining [surviving] 75,000 would pay the increase without hesitation.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:15 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Try to visualize an extreme scenario where the membership dropped to 75,000 and in order to maintain the Status Quo the AMA decided to double dues to $116 in order to compensate.
I'm willing to bet that the remaining [surviving] 75,000 would pay the increase without hesitation.
Ain't never gona happen. What we won't see is any real increase in kids under 18 which are free Which contributes to the total membership. We've signed up ofer 30 kids at different sessions like scout night and fun flys. and maybe 3 have joined the club and became serious about flying. But with school and such they are pretty much limited to week ends.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Ain't never gona happen. What we won't see is any real increase in kids under 18 which are free Which contributes to the total membership. We've signed up ofer 30 kids at different sessions like scout night and fun flys. and maybe 3 have joined the club and became serious about flying. But with school and such they are pretty much limited to week ends.
Seriously, 3 of out of ~30 is ~10% which is actually pretty darn good. The industry term for those bulk advertising junk mail post cards sent out is bingo cards. The typical response rate is 1% or less and there's no shortage of them being sent out.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 PM
SMOKINMAC
My Feedback: (1)

Have any of you received an email to fill out an AMA questionnaire that relates to:
Why you originally joined
Perceived value of AMA membership
Impression of Drones, FPV's

I believe the reason for he dues increase is largely related to the FAA's response to the incidents in the press and the impact on public safety related to the use of Drones/Quads by people that are not even members of the AMA. So we the membership are having to pay more dues due to the AMA's fighting a battle caused by people who aren't likely members and don't even pay dues.

If this is the case my feed back to the AMA on the questionnaire was they are WASTING resources fighting the FAA over the Drones/quad issue. The public's safety will always trump any group's hobby. If they want to be effective they should work with the authorities to push for regulations that have harsh penalties for these folks operating drones/quads in conflict full scale aircraft. And possibly make the case that proof of membership in the AMA is required to purchase models that can be flown without a runway and maybe require a certification that proves these individuals understand the rules of operating a drone/quad safely.

But bottom line I contend they are fighting a loosing battle to defend the drone operators and are wasting the membership's money on what I believe to be largely non-members. Seems misguided.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more SMOKINMAC.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
porcia83
Banned

It's tough to get a kids into this hobby and have them stay. Like you we get kids in for school projects, scuort activities, and our events. We're always looking for ways to translate that immediate reaction to the hobby into a lasting one, but it's difficult. Many kids are already involved in music, school activities, and sports. Gone are the days of playing for your town team, now it's all about premier clubs, traveling across states to play etc etc. And if you think R/C can get expensive, some of these so called "premier" league clubs start in the 2-3k range to pay at. Our kid members are usually as a result of their dads joining.

My club is starting the process of building an association with a local CAP group, about 10 kids in all. I'd be thrilled to see 2-3 join the hobby and stick with it, even if it's not at our club.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
combatpigg

I understand the resentment about what appears to be an avoidable dues increase.
It shouldn't cost ANYTHING at all to usher in responsible, dues paying quad flyers who want access to AMA club fields....in fact it should be PURE PROFIT.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by SMOKINMAC
Have any of you received an email to fill out an AMA questionnaire that relates to:

I believe the reason for he dues increase is largely related to the FAA's response to the incidents in the press and the impact on public safety related to the use of Drones/Quads by people that are not even members of the AMA. So we the membership are having to pay more dues due to the AMA's fighting a battle caused by people who aren't likely members and don't even pay dues.

If this is the case my feed back to the AMA on the questionnaire was they are WASTING resources fighting the FAA over the Drones/quad issue. The public's safety will always trump any group's hobby. If they want to be effective they should work with the authorities to push for regulations that have harsh penalties for these folks operating drones/quads in conflict full scale aircraft. And possibly make the case that proof of membership in the AMA is required to purchase models that can be flown without a runway and maybe require a certification that proves these individuals understand the rules of operating a drone/quad safely.

But bottom line I contend they are fighting a loosing battle to defend the drone operators and are wasting the membership's money on what I believe to be largely non-members. Seems misguided.
But it looks like it worked. Common sense seams to have prevailed ... The FAA and other Authorities now have taken the position that it's the Individual is responsible for their actions when it comes to Quads (Drones). Not like the Gun Control Fanatics that think criminals and wacos won't have Guns if they are banned. What's going to happen when these Wacos go to Explosives instead of Guns. Hope that ain't considered political.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by SMOKINMAC

The timing of the dues increase certainly cooincided with the UAV's coming into the news. Do you think though that our hobby might have been sucked into this issue, and then had rules/regs/laws that would affect the rest of the hobby, and then had no representation had they sat the matter out? I could see some folks then turning around and complaining that the AMA wasn't proactive enough by getting involved. Granted, those complaining or voicing their concerns would no doubt be less than those sharing concerns about them being involved now.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:07 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by porcia83
The timing of the dues increase certainly cooincided with the UAV's coming into the news. Do you think though that our hobby might have been sucked into this issue, and then had rules/regs/laws that would affect the rest of the hobby, and then had no representation had they sat the matter out? I could see some folks then turning around and complaining that the AMA wasn't proactive enough by getting involved. Granted, those complaining or voicing their concerns would no doubt be less than those sharing concerns about them being involved now.
Kan't Win no mater what they Would, did or didn't do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.