Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Old 10-07-2015, 04:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Several have argued here that the AMA is a business, which I disagree with: to be accurate, it is a NPO (Non Profit Organization - or Association) as per AMA's own description as well as the IRS nomenclature.

An NPO is simply a type of business. You can check with the state of IN to obtain copies of the AMA's "BUSINESS" entity filing documents as well as their business formation documents.

We are members, and the board members, as mere elected representatives of the members (us), are indeed accountable to the members.

If the AMA were a business, we would be the stock/share holders (those who pay the bills and elect the board). In a business, the management is definitely accountable to the share holders.

That's completely wrong. Not every business is a publicly traded company. You don't have to be a publicly traded company to be a business. Are you operating a legal business? If so, did you not need to file "Business Formation Documents" for the state in which you operate?

As for the AMA's transparency, several members have asked the AMA just a few basic questions which should be easy to answer, such as:
- Of the $250,000.00 drone program budget voted on last year by the executive council, how much has been spent, and how?
- Has that campaign led to an actual increase in number of new members?
- In the membership questionnaire, how many of these new members list Multirotor and FPV as primary interest?

No answer has ever been provided to these inquiring members so far, a few months after starting the questions.
It doesn't take a genius to realize that the questions and speculations in several threads around these subjects indicate that there is no official answer revealed anywhere we know of.
Yet, there are enough AMA drone policy fans here, that if there was any quantitative information at all that would be flattering for this program, that information would certainly be revealed and promoted.
In fact, if that policy was a success, the AMA leaders who by a narrow vote margin took the AMA in this direction would be pounding their chests boasting their success; this would certainly clam much of the dissent down.
Not every member cares, but those who do should have easy access to pertinent information. How else can we make an informed choice of who we vote for? How else can we assess if a current officer or VP is doing a good job for us so we would re-elect him (or not)? It is like the news: a lot of people don't care, but it is all readily available to those who do.
Above in red.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Thanks. "about" has never been a accepted accounting term that I know of.

Mike
Have you ever been employed as a professional in the accounting or financial industry? If so, you'd realize "about" is used/implied all the time when referring to values that are constantly changing. In fact, nearly all business related financial reporting is rounded to the nearest applicable value.

I'd venture a guess the AMA membership numbers are changing almost daily.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

"about 172,000; we are 175,000 now."

So is that "about" 175,000?

Sorry I'm not a fan of "about" . Does it mean they don't know or are not sure?

Mike
It means they're being technically correct since the numbers are in a constant state of flux.

What's the percentage difference between 172k and 175k and what level of precision do you feel you need?

Frankly, I'm not sure you're a fan of anything other than bashing the AMA for your own lack of understanding of basic business operating policies and procedures and your inability to contact the AMA directly in order to obtain the information you're looking for.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 10-07-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Have you ever been employed as a professional in the accounting or financial industry? If so, you'd realize "about" is used/implied all the time when referring to values that are constantly changing. In fact, nearly all business related financial reporting is rounded to the nearest applicable value.

I'd venture a guess the AMA membership numbers are changing almost daily.
Please give me a break. Why not try and use "about" on your tax form next year?
Let me know how it works. You don't have to be a accountant to know that.but since you asked.
The accountant that does our club books and files our taxes every year does not use "about" anywhere nor do we provide her with receipts with a amount of "about".
My wife is a bank branch manager and bank examiners local and federal ( along with bank customers) do not want to see or use "about". How about you would you like to see a balance of "about"
In my 35+ years in retail I have never seen the word "about" on any P&L

Sure the numbers change daily but when you close out the year there certainly is a number correct? It is not "about".
Now if in your world your accountant,banker or investment guy uses about you might want to look elsewhere.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-07-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:45 AM
rcmiket

It means they're being technically correct since the numbers are in a constant state of flux.

What's the percentage difference between 172k and 175k and what level of precision do you feel you need?

Frankly, I'm not sure you're a fan of anything other than bashing the AMA for your own lack of understanding of basic business operating policies and procedures and your inability to contact the AMA directly in order to obtain the information you're looking for.
I do not hate the AMA. I love the hobby and have been in it for some 30+ years. I serve on our clubs board along with being on the board of a STEM program here at a high School. We've flown CAP Cadets along with Boy Scouts and enjoy every bit of it. All to promote the hobby I love. I along with my fellow club members have sent the AMA new members though these efforts
Just because I question the direction and spending of a organization I belong to does not make myself or anyone else here who does that same a "basher"
I understand your very happy with the way things are going which is your right and I respect that. There's always room for improvement in any organization.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-07-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:49 AM
islandflyer

If the AMA were a business, we would be the stock/share holders (those who pay the bills and elect the board). In a business, the management is definitely accountable to the share holders.

That's completely wrong. Not every business is a publicly traded company. You don't have to be a publicly traded company to be a business. Are you operating a legal business? If so, did you not need to file "Business Formation Documents" for the state in which you operate?
Mr. "Know-it-all" has to show limited understanding of plain language again, or add what it not there!
I never mentioned publicly traded.
In addition, privately held corporations have share holders too (or owners in an LLC). It does not change the fact that management is accountable to share holders or members in our case.

That comment was completely irrelevant to the subject of the conversation, but there must be some degree of strange pleasure in stepping in for the sake of being argumentative...
Old 10-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Please give me a break.

I've given you enough breaks. Why don't you give it a break? Why don't you take some responsibility to finding answers for the questions you're looking for?

Why not try and use "about" on your tax form next year?
Let me know how it works. You don't have to be a accountant to know that.but since you asked.
The accountant that does our club books and files our taxes every year does not use "about" anywhere nor do we provide her with receipts with a amount of "about".
My wife is a bank branch manager and bank examiners local and federal do not want to see or use "about"
I my 35+ years in retail I have never seen the word "about" on any P&L

I do and I do it every year on my tax forms. It's implied through rounding and is permitted by the IRS. Here are the instructions from the IRS (IRS Publication 17) and I've even included the example you.

Computations

The following information may be useful in making the return easier to complete.

Rounding off dollars. You can round off cents to whole dollars on your return and schedules. If you do round to whole dollars, you must round all amounts. To round, drop amounts under 50 cents and increase amounts from 50 to 99 cents to the next dollar. For example, $1.39 becomes $1 and $2.50 becomes $3.

If you have to add two or more amounts to figure the amount to enter on a line, include cents when adding the amounts and round off only the total.

Example.

You receive two Forms W-2: one showing wages of $5,000.55 and one showing wages of $18,500.73. On Form 1040, line 7, you would enter $23,501 ($5,000.55 + $18,500.73 = $23,501.28), not $23,502 ($5,001 + $18,501).

Hopefully you can understand from the example above wages being reported to the IRS are $23,501 which is about $23,501.28 and that's good enough for the IRS.

Mike
You know the routine, above in red.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 AM
rcmiket

You know the routine, above in red.
That's the best you got rounding up cents?
Amazing. Although accurate, way to split hairs my friend.
Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 10-07-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mr. "Know-it-all" has to show limited understanding of plain language again, or add what it not there!
In addition, privately held corporations have share holders too (or owners in an LLC). It does not change the fact that management is accountable to share holders or members in our case.

Yeah, forgot about those. I don't dabble in the small business space.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 AM
islandflyer

Right! small (privately held) businesses like Koch Industries? "small" indeed...
Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Right! small (privately held) businesses like Koch Industries? "small" indeed...
Sure, they're one exception, but by and large I'd venture a guess that the vast majority are much smaller than most publicly traded companies.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

The vast majority of businesses in this country are small businesses - maybe you should "dabble" in it. When Republicans talk about helping businesses they are typically referring to small businesses. That's what provides growth.

But yes, even non-profits must files taxes as business as a business and the AMA is indeed classified as one.

But why has this discussion degraded into another pizzing contest over a word? What greaater subject is being covered up?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
The vast majority of businesses in this country are small businesses - maybe you should "dabble" in it. When Republicans talk about helping businesses they are typically referring to small businesses. That's what provides growth.

But yes, even non-profits must files taxes as business as a business and the AMA is indeed classified as one.

But why has this discussion degraded into another pizzing contest over a word? What greaater subject is being covered up?
No doubt the vast majority of businesses in this country are small businesses.

Unfortunately, I doubt any many small business owners would agree they're getting any kind of help with growth from the government. Well, maybe those making huge political contributions, but donations of that size usually don't come from small businesses to begin with.

Not sure on the pizzing contest over the words, however, it appears some intentionally use nebulous words/concepts in an effort to support their case.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgburrill

Now that is funny....talk about a pizzing contest over a word, the thread degenerating, and then make some type of comment alluding to something being covered up. By all means, share your thoughts on the greaater subject being covered up. Seems everything that can be hashed out has been.

Always gotta be a conspiracy...lol.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

That comment was completely irrelevant to the subject of the conversation, but there must be some degree of strange pleasure in stepping in for the sake of being argumentative...
More irony, or hypocrisy, either or fits. More name calling, more chances to attack rather than just respond. Guess it's better than e-mails being sent out calling other people trolls etc right?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
More irony, or hypocrisy, either or fits. More name calling, more chances to attack rather than just respond. Guess it's better than e-mails being sent out calling other people trolls etc right?
Funny you don't single out Crispy. He is the one full of fluff and spin and continues to derail the threads. he hasn't posted anything of value to the topics at hand in quite some time. He must be your "enforcer"!

Astro
Old 10-07-2015, 01:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

He has at least tried, in vain of course, to answer questions and present some rationale for them. I say in vain not because he isn't correct, or disagree with his position, but because no matter what he says (even opinion), it's subject to pedantic and obtuse attack, as well as personal attacks. Stock in trade when all else fails, sort of like you alluding to him being an enforcer. is it completely impossible to try to be civil and disagree. ?
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Now worries, I expect nothing less. It's a public RC forum and during my many years in the hobby I've learned quite a few things about "traditional" modelers along the way. There is certainly no shortage of interesting characters to say the least. There will always be a number of folks who thrive on being the big fish in a tiny pond.

True story: Many years ago I was picking up some parts from my LHS just before Christmas. The owner was taking care of me and were talking for a few minutes. I was busting his chops and asked if he was having a Christmas party over at his house for the guys. He replied "you're the only one I'd invite". Lets just say it took me a few years to understand what he meant.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:27 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by astrohog
Funny you don't single out Crispy. He is the one full of fluff and spin and continues to derail the threads. he hasn't posted anything of value to the topics at hand in quite some time. He must be your "enforcer"!

Astro

Your not surprised are you?

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog

Astro

Please, please, please don't leave me out. I love the fluff, spin, and derailment. I guess the derailment part hasn't worked so well though...all the AMA haters and conspiracy theorists are still here putting coal on the fire.

At least Mike learned he can round to nearest dollar on his tax return today. Maybe he'll double check the work his club's accountant has done for his club. Remember it's all "ABOUT" learning.

I'll hope to work on tomorrow's lesson plan this evening.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 PM
jmiles1941

come on guys I am retired 67 years have a great pension and good ss I don't care if it cost 200 a year it is well worth it for what AMA our CBO spells peace of mind quit whinning, my IMAC dues are going up also but both are still a great deal darn man
Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Duncman

Please give me a break. Why not try and use "about" on your tax form next year?
My wife is a bank branch manager and bank examiners local and federal ( along with bank customers) do not want to see or use "about". How about you would you like to see a balance of "about"
In my 35+ years in retail I have never seen the word "about" on any P&L

Sure the numbers change daily but when you close out the year there certainly is a number correct? It is not "about".
Now if in your world your accountant,banker or investment guy uses about you might want to look elsewhere.

Mike
I beg to differ with you on "about". The term is used frequently in a lot of industries when things are fluid such as a membership during the course of an active year, at the conclusion of that year the number becomes precise. You are right about taxes and such but those are numbers set in stone, during the year it is nothing more than projections which is a fancy word for "about" and you hear that word all the time in the retail world. P&L Statements are a finalization of projections based on current receipts, all about "about". If you want a precise number give a precise date and time, see how that works.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Duncman

Now that I think about it, I round off my taxes to the nearest dollar, if you split hairs then even that is "about".
Old 10-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Duncman
Now that I think about it, I round off my taxes to the nearest dollar, if you split hairs then even that is "about".
Please see my detailed post complete with example here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12109818
Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

yall do know that my use of the term "about" in that post of AMA totals, was just because of being to lazy to type out that, those numbers are the last time i was able to find the official membership total published in model aviation mag. nothing more, nothing less.
there, now yall have made me pay for being lazy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.