Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Frustrated as heck. I did send an emai, read his candidacy statement. His email back to me, "I hated to vote for the membership increase", he stated. Yeah right.
I am curious to know what his opinion of the PPP is.
I'll bet he was a supporter...just a hunch.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandflyer
Perfect! now that this intuition has been exposed for everyone to see how completely off base it is,

Of course, anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion is off base because you say so.

it also explains how misguided your stance on AMA's drone policy is! Now I understand!

Again, more belittling to discredit others who refuse to drink your Kool-Aid. Of course you understand now, belittling is the only option you know. Still in second grade?

I cannot waste anymore time discussing these things that require a little logical discernment with anyone who so blatantly lacks in that department.

Again, more belittling because you can't get others to drink your Kool-Aid.

Moving on now to more sensible grounds with larger readership....

Absolutely, grasshopper! It's about time you apply all the skills you've learned at Asstrohog's school of denial, spin, deflection, belittling, and repetition.
You know the routine, above in red.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Our District VP is running un-opposed, guess I wont be voting.
Due to the extreme urgency and critical nature of this vote I'm sure there are a few well organized and highly qualified individuals in this very thread who would appreciate your write-in vote.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 10-11-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I know a couple of the pro drone guys are are unopposed: however, it is up to the membership to voice their discontent, if any.
A number of us have called our respective VP to discuss it.
You can also write, or send emails.
Next year's elections will me more relevant in this matter is we forcefully ask the candidates to announce their positions on these issues in their public statements prior to the election, like Lawrence id in District X.
Moving on now to more sensible grounds with larger readership....
Back already? Wow, that was quick.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Frustrated as heck. I did send an emai, read his candidacy statement. His email back to me, "I hated to vote for the membership increase", he stated. Yeah right.
Sometimes you gotta do what gotta do. The dues increase was long overdue and well justified.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 PM
combatpigg

I mentioned earlier a hypothetical model where membership declines by 50% [for who knows what] and dues are easily raised by 50% to cover it.
By the same token I can foresee a scenario where reckless spending in "Emerging Markets" backfires but the AMA doesn't lose any sleep over it because they already know that they can double the dues and still retain enough of a hard inner core of "the flock" to absorb the losses.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in 1380 posts, over about 7 months, there have been lots of hypotheticals noted, if memory serves almost every one of them negative, doom and gloom, and anti AMA based. Human nature I suppose, sometimes people need a good conspiracy and of course a cause.

The reality is that the AMA did what they had to do, there really was no legitimate reason to not be involved. Much of what MR and quads do fall well within modeling, that's absolutely undeniable. This issue was going to going to involve the government no matter what, nothing the AMA did would have stopped that.

Past performance is almost always a pretty good indicator or future performance. The reality is that nothing major is going to happen to this hobby, nor the AMA membership over the next 5 years. There will be ups and downs in membership as there always is. Profiles of members will change, as they always do. There is no huge groundswell of opposition to what the AMA is doing, notwithstanding the usual folks here that can never find anything positive to say about the AMA. The membership numbers don't show it, the people running for offices don't show it.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:48 AM
rcmiket

Thank you for once again pointing out (In your opinion) that we are wrong for our views on this topic. Since nothing in your post is verifiable at this point I'll hold on to my opinion on this subject.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
in 1380 posts, over about 7 months, there have been lots of hypotheticals noted, if memory serves almost every one of them negative, doom and gloom, and anti AMA based. Human nature I suppose, sometimes people need a good conspiracy and of course a cause.

The reality is that the AMA did what they had to do, there really was no legitimate reason to not be involved. Much of what MR and quads do fall well within modeling, that's absolutely undeniable. This issue was going to going to involve the government no matter what, nothing the AMA did would have stopped that.

Past performance is almost always a pretty good indicator or future performance. The reality is that nothing major is going to happen to this hobby, nor the AMA membership over the next 5 years. There will be ups and downs in membership as there always is. Profiles of members will change, as they always do. There is no huge groundswell of opposition to what the AMA is doing, notwithstanding the usual folks here that can never find anything positive to say about the AMA. The membership numbers don't show it, the people running for offices don't show it.
Agreed.

The dues increase has been in effect for nearly a month and I haven't seen any protests outside the AMA headquarters reported on CNN.

With nearly 10k baby boomers turning 65 every day (http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-num...oomers-retire/) and the average age of the members of the three clubs I belong to well into their 60's the AMA has to do something to attract and retrain a new generation of modelers. IMHO, it is a matter of survival for the AMA.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM
combatpigg

The AMA does not need to do anything [outside of the ordinary] to attract a guy who is looking for a place to fly his Quad / camera plane at a club field.

The Quad Flyer will be happy to join if the club field gives him a nicer, safer, more convenient place to fly than what he can find on his own. He will FIRST need to decide if paying out AMA dues plus Club dues makes any sense or not.

If all I was interested in flying were the entry level machines I would need to be pretty desperate for a place to fly before forking out extra cash to fly at a AMA field.
If all I was interested in flying are the long range FPV machines on long range "FPV Missions"....AMA membership doesn't have much to offer, nor should it.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If all I was interested in flying are the long range FPV machines on long range "FPV Missions"....AMA membership doesn't have much to offer, nor should it.
The AMA Safety Code prohibits FPV operations beyond LOS.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
rcmiket

The AMA does not need to do anything [outside of the ordinary] to attract a guy who is looking for a place to fly his Quad / camera plane at a club field.

The Quad Flyer will be happy to join if the club field gives him a nicer, safer, more convenient place to fly than what he can find on his own. He will FIRST need to decide if paying out AMA dues plus Club dues makes any sense or not.

If all I was interested in flying were the entry level machines I would need to be pretty desperate for a place to fly before forking out extra cash to fly at a AMA field.
Why would anyone with a quad/camera platform want to fly at a flying field? Really nothing interesting to film there.Seems like they are more interested in flying in a more "scenic" places.

Mike
Old 10-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Why would anyone with a quad/camera platform want to fly at a flying field? Really nothing interesting to film there.Seems like they are more interested in flying in a more "scenic" places.

Mike
Ever hear of FPV racing? The most common form of FPV racing uses a quad and a camera. This was filmed at the AMA site during IRCHA. All FPV participants at IRCHA are AMA members or the AMA has an agreement with their home country's model aviation organizing body (e.g., Canada).

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C02.mp4

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C03.mp4

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C04.mp4

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C05.mp4
Old 10-12-2015, 12:32 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The AMA Safety Code prohibits FPV operations beyond LOS.
Why should we...?
Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM
rcmiket

Ever hear of FPV racing? The most common form of FPV racing uses a quad and a camera. This was filmed at the AMA site during IRCHA. All FPV participants at IRCHA are AMA members or the AMA has an agreement with their home country's model aviation organizing body (e.g., Canada).

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C02.mp4

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C03.mp4

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C04.mp4

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/rr...A2015-2C05.mp4
Sure I've heard about FPV racing. I've yet to see a FPV racing event in my neck of the woods. I would also venture a guess the 99% of the quad/camera set ups sold are not used for racing.

Mike
Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 PM
combatpigg

This event, [like any other form of model plane racing] caters to a microscopic amount of the membership.
Once the very small percentage who decide to give racing a try realize that collisions and total loss crashes are a common part of the game, very, very few stick with it over the long haul.
The performance potential of the quads is so astounding that I doubt very many AMA fields would feel safe about hosting racing events.
They look like great fun and if flying them FPV style is the best way to keep up with them as a pilot, then of course that appears to be the way they should be controlled.
Hopefully there will be as strong of a "Cult Following" with racing Quads as what you have with AMA's Pylon Racing Program.

Last edited by combatpigg; 10-12-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why should we...?
FAA said so.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Sure I've heard about FPV racing. I've yet to see a FPV racing event in my neck of the woods. I would also venture a guess the 99% of the quad/camera set ups sold are not used for racing.

Mike
Question:

Why would anyone with a quad/camera platform want to fly at a flying field?

Mike
Answer:

FPV Racing.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'm pretty much in agreement with this. I doubt a hardcore FPV'er is going to look to the AMA and club has their place to join.

You note the AMA not needing to do anything outside of the ordinary to attract some folks that want to fly at a field. I don't see them as having done much out of the ordinary, or change their marketing plan to really go after a whole new segment of possible members. They just didn't exclude them. They then treat them (hobby grade) as they have most any other new evolving method of modeling, but they have done far more in terms of public education (know before you fly etc) because of the particular nature of these things.

Is it really a bad thing if the AMA membership ranks grow with new members who want to build and fly, and follow safe and common sense procedures? I don't see the downside.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:52 PM
combatpigg

FAA said so.
Good.
So, what was your point for bringing that up...?
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

This event, [like any other form of model plane racing] caters to a microscopic amount of the membership.
Once the very small percentage who decide to give racing a try realize that collisions and total loss crashes are a common part of the game, very, very few stick with it over the long haul.
The performance potential of the quads is so astounding that I doubt very many AMA fields would feel safe about hosting racing events.
They look like great fun and if flying them FPV style is the best way to keep up with them as a pilot, then of course that appears to be the way they should be controlled.
Hopefully there will be as strong of a "Cult Following" with racing Quads as what you have with AMA's Pylon Racing Program.
Ya, I've seen one race, it's pretty interesting. Definitely not a popular method of flying now, but it's growing leaps and bounds. Not to much about it here, but RCG has tons of articles and threads about it, and major sponsors are getting involved. I suspect it won't be as popular as pylon racing, but it's more popular now that a year or two ago. The guys who fly these though are totally into building and modifyng and improving skills/technology. There were far less crashes and total losses in the races I saw then in the pylon racing that we had at our field. Not quite as spectacular too! We were approached about having a race at our field, I declined for this year as not that many of our members have them, and we already had a full docket of activities for the year.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Good.
So, what was your point for bringing that up...?
Comment:
Fact: AMA has nothing to offer.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM
combatpigg

Comment:

Fact: AMA has nothing to offer.
Nor should we.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM
rcmiket

Question:

Answer:

FPV Racing.

OK fine.
Now what percentage of quad/camera platforms are sold for photography vs racing?
I would venture a guess that 99% are sold for photography.
Clear enough?

Mike
Old 10-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

OK fine.
Now what percentage of quad/camera platforms are sold for photography vs racing?
I would venture a guess that 99% are sold for photography.
Clear enough?

Mike
Unlikely. Lots of FPV racing quads out there including some RTF units.

Several racing leagues as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.