Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:51 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Mikey:
See my post directly before this one Post #1596 It says exactly what U are saying/Eluding to.
I saw that after my post. My thoughts exactly.

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 07:51 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

porsche,
i believe that the majority of AMA members do not know or care which way the AMA is heading, much less who the leaders/officers are at any given point in time.
this is from visits with folks at clubs/events around the country over the past 20 or so years.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the park flyer program pick up?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mongo
one possible way, the vast majority of the new members are free juniors, with the rest of the dollar lag being the 2 year discounted memberships.
This was 2014 they were discussing. The increase came in 2015.
Now the free Jr. thing might come into play.
Thanks

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

porsche,
i believe that the majority of AMA members do not know or care which way the AMA is heading, much less who the leaders/officers are at any given point in time.
this is from visits with folks at clubs/events around the country over the past 20 or so years.
Most do not know of the issues, and only know they must join to belong to the flying club. Many may wish it to go away so they don't have to pay dues.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:01 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Did the park flyer program pick up?

Not sure, but the original dues increase for them was to be 38.50 but they dropped it to 38.00 in the end. It went up from 29.95.

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Not sure, but the original dues increase for them was to be 38.50 but they dropped it to 38.00 in the end. It went up from 29.95.

Mike
No, I mean membership.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44 AM
rcmiket

No, I mean membership.

There's never any hard numbers. I was just looking at the July 2015 EC minutes. My quote was from that meeting.

Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

one possible way, the vast majority of the new members are free juniors, with the rest of the dollar lag being the 2 year discounted memberships.
One of the unintended consequences of having "FREE" insurance for juniors is when things are "FREE" they tend to be unappreciated. Besides Retaining Jr. Members after they turn 15 or 16 and find Girls and cars , Unless they were really into the hobby and were good flyers, they don't for the most part, continue in the hobby.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:13 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

porsche,
Mango, I agree
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Duncman

Originally Posted by astrohog
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I think there is only one, maybe two, people here that have singled MR and quads out as game changers. In reality, it is drones that are changing the game, and they are certainly NOT model aviation, although they ARE affecting model aviation.

I like how you make those "traditional" modelers that have enjoyed their hobby in peace for many years out to be a, "subset" that, "probably abhors change". I can tell you that they probably DO abhor the fact that they may have to register their scratch-built P-51's and Cubs (nice stereotype, BTW!) with the FAA because the "evolved" flyers are flying drones whenever and wherever they please! LOL

Astro
Astrohog, I hate to be a stickler but your comment " it is drones that are changing the game, and they are certainly NOT model aviation, although they ARE affecting model aviation" is not accurate, Drones are model aviation, or at least as far as the FAA is concerned, Their definition of a Drone is any aircraft that is unmanned and radio controlled, they do not differentiate between fixed wing, single rotary or multi-rotor and the word "traditional" and NOT model aviation" carries no weight with them and they are what counts.

I have been following this thread and not commenting on anything because there is more than enough already being said, you all do not need my input. I would not be making this comment if it were not for the fact that tomorrow I meet with the local Aircraft Owners Association President at his request on their concern on the Drone threat to local Aviation and what the local RC Clubs policies are in offering safe places for these folks to operate their Drones. This thing is coming right down the pike at everyone of us in this hobby and the simple fact of the matter is that no one other than us care if it is traditional or not, they just want that threat either mitigated by Regulation or eliminated and they have the FAA behind them. On the surface their request seems innocent enough but these folks have their agenda and that is their priority so I expect no real positives for us but hope for some opportunity to assert our position. Whatever any of you gentlemen think of the virtues of AMA's involvement on the Drone issue, it was destined to hit us between the eyes and I am glad we have them, that dues increase right now seems like a bargain.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:53 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
Astrohog, I hate to be a stickler but your comment " it is drones that are changing the game, and they are certainly NOT model aviation, although they ARE affecting model aviation" is not accurate, Drones are model aviation, or at least as far as the FAA is concerned,
Thanks for your comments. I was not speaking about the FAA's definition, I was talking about reality. If you have been reading the other active posts in this forum, you will see where I have posted my thoughts and opinions at length.

In short, I believe the AMA HAD (and still MAY HAVE) an opportunity to create separation from the drones and show the FAA that the drones are not. "us". and then the drones may not have been lumped in with model aviation.

I don't think it is too late to change the FAA's definition, as the "team" that has been assembled to look into the registration thing convenes, I think they will find that the definition of model aircraft and drones falls woefully short of defining what needs to be defined in order to provide effective legislation in the future.

The AMA needs to step up NOW and call for more distinct definitions of the different TYPES (or uses) of craft being flown BEFORE any more legislation takes place. I think it is clear to all of us that whatever the definition is now, falls well short of clearly defining the different type of vehicles that we are all operating. Just makes sense to me that CLEARLY DEFINING WHAT they are trying to regulate is the ONLY way that any future legislation will have any real meaning or value.

Regards,

Astro
Old 11-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think it is too late to change the FAA's definition,
It is actually not the FAA's definition but Congress. And it would take an act of Congress to change it. Still there are provisions in the law the AMA can use to our benefit. Let's see how they use them.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:39 AM
[email protected]

tell you club you dont want anyone to pay the [ama] see what happend to the ama then
Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
tell you club you dont want anyone to pay the [ama] see what happend to the ama then
Stupid Just plain Stupid, and Stupid can't be fixed.
More over See What happens to your club. Why?

1. If u don't have a current AMA membership U won't have a place to fly, Unless U personally own the land.
2. No land owner is going to take the chance of being sued by someone or their family just because he was nice to them and they were Stupid enough to stick a finger in a spinning prop.
3. Like it or not this Hobby/Sport is Expensive and now that the Government (DOT/FAA) is breathing down our necks it's more important that we stand "UNITED" under one CBO, if U Please.
4. If U truly can't afford a few extra bucks per year then U can't afford this Hobby/Support. Sell your TOY airplanes and Go by food for your off spring.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:39 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Duncman
Astrohog, I hate to be a stickler but your comment " it is drones that are changing the game, and they are certainly NOT model aviation, although they ARE affecting model aviation" is not accurate, Drones are model aviation, or at least as far as the FAA is concerned, Their definition of a Drone is any aircraft that is unmanned and radio controlled, they do not differentiate between fixed wing, single rotary or multi-rotor and the word "traditional" and NOT model aviation" carries no weight with them and they are what counts.

I have been following this thread and not commenting on anything because there is more than enough already being said, you all do not need my input. I would not be making this comment if it were not for the fact that tomorrow I meet with the local Aircraft Owners Association President at his request on their concern on the Drone threat to local Aviation and what the local RC Clubs policies are in offering safe places for these folks to operate their Drones. This thing is coming right down the pike at everyone of us in this hobby and the simple fact of the matter is that no one other than us care if it is traditional or not, they just want that threat either mitigated by Regulation or eliminated and they have the FAA behind them. On the surface their request seems innocent enough but these folks have their agenda and that is their priority so I expect no real positives for us but hope for some opportunity to assert our position. Whatever any of you gentlemen think of the virtues of AMA's involvement on the Drone issue, it was destined to hit us between the eyes and I am glad we have them, that dues increase right now seems like a bargain.
The problems with "what the local RC Clubs policies are in offering safe places for these folks to operate their Drones" is IMHO 3 fold:
1. Quad/Drone/FPV get's "BORING" Real Quick looking the same Corn/Been fields. That's unless U are doing some form of compition such as Quad FPV obstacle racing. Think for a second how that would go over at your local R/C field.

2. It's tough to convince people (That fly Things that can literally fly anywhere) that they must pay $75/year plus another $X dollar amount only to be told by some O'l FART, they have to adhere too as set of SAFETY Rules and fly with certain boundaries.

3 Then there's the difference in the mix of different "Traditional and NONtraditional" Toy flying objects, in the same air space. We all know what problems when we mix Helies,Fomies, 3D's and Traditional together. People get upset real fast.

Not being critical of your Idea but These are just 3 Things I can foresee f we admit undisciplined flyers to our/you club.
Now if it's a club member (especially one of the IN CROWD), well that's completely different and the Quad/Drone/FPV will be accepted with open arms just because they are one of the
"Exalted". <--- Enfamous intended ...
Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 AM
[email protected]

dont call me stupid drop dead
Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by astrohog
Thanks for your comments. I was not speaking about the FAA's definition, I was talking about reality. If you have been reading the other active posts in this forum, you will see where I have posted my thoughts and opinions at length.

In short, I believe the AMA HAD (and still MAY HAVE) an opportunity to create separation from the drones and show the FAA that the drones are not. "us". and then the drones may not have been lumped in with model aviation.

I don't think it is too late to change the FAA's definition, as the "team" that has been assembled to look into the registration thing convenes, I think they will find that the definition of model aircraft and drones falls woefully short of defining what needs to be defined in order to provide effective legislation in the future.

The AMA needs to step up NOW and call for more distinct definitions of the different TYPES (or uses) of craft being flown BEFORE any more legislation takes place. I think it is clear to all of us that whatever the definition is now, falls well short of clearly defining the different type of vehicles that we are all operating. Just makes sense to me that CLEARLY DEFINING WHAT they are trying to regulate is the ONLY way that any future legislation will have any real meaning or value.

Regards,

Astro
Agree with most of what you said, except for the 'not too late' part.

I sincerely hope the DOT/FAA takes their registration checks to the Muncie Indiana Drone Enterprise first.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

I and others have told you the AMA nor the FAA had anything to do with lumping all categories of RC under recreational R/C sUAV or drones. That was done by Congress about 5 years ago.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM
cj_rumley

I and others have told you the AMA nor the FAA had anything to do with lumping all categories of RC under recreational R/C sUAV or drones. That was done by Congress about 5 years ago.
How did it happen that Congress even considered the question?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And I've already stated that is where the AMA let it's members down. Due to everything that has transpired since then, it is clear that it would be in everyone's best interest to re-visit those definitions.

Astro
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
How did it happen that Congress even considered the question?
Because of the UAV industry was pushing Congress to write law to make the FAA allow UAV to fly though the NAS. The AMA and others asked that they be excluded from all new regulation. So they were all lumped in the recreational class.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:39 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by sport_pilot
because of the uav industry was pushing congress to write law to make the faa allow uav to fly though the nas. The ama and others asked that they be excluded from all new regulation. so they were all lumped in the recreational class.
qed
Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
The problems with "what the local RC Clubs policies are in offering safe places for these folks to operate their Drones" is IMHO 3 fold:
1. Quad/Drone/FPV get's "BORING" Real Quick looking the same Corn/Been fields. That's unless U are doing some form of compition such as Quad FPV obstacle racing. Think for a second how that would go over at your local R/C field.

2. It's tough to convince people (That fly Things that can literally fly anywhere) that they must pay $75/year plus another $X dollar amount only to be told by some O'l FART, they have to adhere too as set of SAFETY Rules and fly with certain boundaries.

3 Then there's the difference in the mix of different "Traditional and NONtraditional" Toy flying objects, in the same air space. We all know what problems when we mix Helies,Fomies, 3D's and Traditional together. People get upset real fast.

Not being critical of your Idea but These are just 3 Things I can foresee f we admit undisciplined flyers to our/you club.
Now if it's a club member (especially one of the IN CROWD), well that's completely different and the Quad/Drone/FPV will be accepted with open arms just because they are one of the
"Exalted". <--- Enfamous intended ...
Bingo. Well put. Which is why I say FPV is the problem, not quads, etc. FPV is a technology the begs to be missused and has been since it first came out.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:02 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Please site the law that did this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.