Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Yeah it's weird. I've got a quadcopter I fly in the backyard or out at the field but to the general public, they consider it a drone. Always thought drones were aircraft that are flying autonomously.

Originally Posted by Duncman
The FAA definition is: "any vehicle that operates in the airspace that is unmanned and radio controlled either line of sight or not". That is not word for word but it is pretty close. That is one of the issues of this thread, that is the accepted definition by the lawmakers and it does not care if it is fixed wing, rotary wing or multi rotor, all drones even though the ones everyone is concerned with are MR's. Any regulation they pass on the Drone issue is across the board.
Let's hope U/Me are wrong about that, but U Unfortunately for our Hobby/Sport are probably. The Feds are going to paint us all with the same Bureaucratic Brush. It just makes it a lot simpler for them than making different categories for different R/C TOYs that fly in the NAS. The only HOPE we had of changing any mindes has expired with this last comment period. I'm afraid that the APATHY of AMA members will be the final nail in the coffin for us.

Stages of of regulation of a toy hobby.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. From Bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy; <--------- The R/C community is right here
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage"

Where do you think present day R/C Hobby/Sport falls on this list?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:01 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

One thing that continually irritates me is that we the AMA members will abide by the rules. The jerks out there that just want a fast thrill wont care diddly about rules, regulations, laws and will somehow obtain a quadcopter and continue to make us look bad as well make it more expensive for us. Not them. It sucks and I hate taking the hit because of them.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:44 PM
HoundDog

One thing that continually irritates me is that we the AMA members will abide by the rules. The jerks out there that just want a fast thrill wont care diddly about rules, regulations, laws and will somehow obtain a quadcopter and continue to make us look bad as well make it more expensive for us. Not them. It sucks and I hate taking the hit because of them.
Then maybe we should embrace the registration of all R/C flying equipment & pilots too. That way we stand a better chance of being separated from those that choose to break or disregard the FAR's/Rules/Safety code. i.e. The authorities don't arrest U if U don't drive drunk, Drive ridiculously,speed, Drive where U are not allowed to. ect. This will probably not happen makes too much sense to prosecute the ones that are guilty but just to make a decision to paint every one with the same brush.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Then maybe we should embrace the registration of all R/C flying equipment & pilots too. That way we stand a better chance of being separated from those that choose to break or disregard the FAR's/Rules/Safety code. i.e.

That was my thinking as well, but you don't have to read many posts here to see the pattern. Bottom is the AMA haters are going to hate the AMA no matter what they do.

The authorities don't arrest U if U don't drive drunk, Drive ridiculously,speed, Drive where U are not allowed to. ect. This will probably not happen makes too much sense to prosecute the ones that are guilty but just to make a decision to paint every one with the same brush.

Above in red.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think it doesn't matter. Us law abiding, rule and regulation abiding AMA members, we're screwed. Enjoy your higher membership dues. Because our opinion doesn't count.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I think it doesn't matter. Us law abiding, rule and regulation abiding AMA members, we're screwed. Enjoy your higher membership dues. Because our opinion doesn't count.
It's only temporary. With the grass roots effort I see taking place here the next "membership elected" AMA president will have it all straightened out the day he or she takes office. Dues will be will voluntary going forward and the dues increase will be reimbursed retroactively. You can sleep well tonight knowing the future looks bright.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Duncman

You are so right, sad but true, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch, just ask the gun aficionados' and a few other groups. Not fair.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:40 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
It's only temporary. With the grass roots effort I see taking place here the next "membership elected" AMA president will have it all straightened out the day he or she takes office. Dues will be will voluntary going forward and the dues increase will be reimbursed retroactively. You can sleep well tonight knowing the future looks bright.
Crispy ... Looks like U fried your bacon brain Fat chance of any of that happening .
It is enough that the people know there was an election.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing.
The people who count the votes decide everything.

Joseph Stalin

Old 11-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Crispy ... Looks like U fried your bacon brain Fat chance of any of that happening .
I was being sarcastic (just don't tell the haters).
Old 11-08-2015, 09:18 PM
HoundDog

I was being sarcastic (just don't tell the haters).
Roger Tower, Understood
Old 11-09-2015, 05:21 AM
rcmiket

Bottom is the AMA haters are going to hate the AMA no matter what they do. .
"haters", that's how you describe those of us that feel the organization we support with our dues made a poor choice. That's really sad.

Mike
Old 11-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"haters", that's how you describe those of us that feel the organization we support with our dues made a poor choice. That's really sad.

Mike
Concur, though I think they may have made the right choice (don't know yet), I certainly don't consider someone with an opposing view a hater. Someone needs a reality check.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:54 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats what the AMA thought about us or didnt think about us regular rc flyers when they thought about letting theses FPV /drone guys in $ . lol I find alot of flyers that think like you and me Tom but its kinda to late to do anything about it now except what i did and drop my card . Something tells me i wont be the only one in the future tho. joe
Old 11-09-2015, 06:51 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
What's really said is those complaining about poor choices being made, but doing nothing to be part of the decision making process. Sad indeed.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by joebahl
Thats what the AMA thought about us or didnt think about us regular rc flyers when they thought about letting theses FPV /drone guys in $ . lol I find alot of flyers that think like you and me Tom but its kinda to late to do anything about it now except what i did and drop my card . Something tells me i wont be the only one in the future tho. joe
If you're no longer an AMA member then why is it any of your concern?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 AM
cj_rumley

If you're no longer an AMA member then why is it any of your concern?
Because he is an RC flyer and so impacted by what AMA does. Not all modelers are under AMA's control, though I'll have to admit they are trying hard to make it so.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Because he is an RC flyer and so impacted by what AMA does. Not all modelers are under AMA's control, though I'll have to admit they are trying hard to make it so.
How are non-AMA members impacted by what the AMA does? The AMA is lobbying on behalf of its members. Anyone member can lobby the FAA directly.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 AM
cj_rumley

How are non-AMA members impacted by what the AMA does? The AMA is lobbying on behalf of its members. Anyone member can lobby the FAA directly.
Depends on which way the wind is blowing. For example, read the AMA mission statement about who they represent. Are you calling them liars?
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Depends on which way the wind is blowing. For example, read the AMA mission statement about who they represent. Are you calling them liars?
I didn't see request to my question, how are non-members being represented?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 AM
cj_rumley

I didn't see request to my question, how are non-members being represented?
They aren't, except when it is convenient. When AMA talks about the 80 year safety record of model aircraft flying, are they segregating the record of AMA members from that of the hoi polloi? They do claim it was done under the leadership of AMA. When AMA calls for a letter-writing-to-pols campaign, do they address it to members only? When AMA was party to the sUAS ARC, did the recommendations made apply only to AMA members? I'll grant that only AMA interests were represented, but all modelers were impacted by that ugly piece of work.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

they aren't, except when it is convenient. When ama talks about the 80 year safety record of model aircraft flying, are they segregating the record of ama members from that of the hoi polloi?

how would the ama be able to know about or collect information on non-ama related incidents? Imho the 80 safety record should only represent ama member operations during that 80 year period.

they do claim it was done under the leadership of ama.

the did devise the ama safety code which members are require to follow per their membership agreement.

when ama calls for a letter-writing-to-pols campaign, do they address it to members only?

examples where it's being addressed to non-members? Is there any harm in addressing it non-members?

when ama was party to the suas arc, did the recommendations made apply only to ama members? I'll grant that only ama interests were represented, but all modelers were impacted by that ugly piece of work.

not familiar with it. Can you post references?
air.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 AM
cj_rumley

not familiar with it. Can you post references?
Why would you guess that doesn't that surprise me, Crispy

Reference: RCU AMA Discussion Forum

bye
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why would you guess that doesn't that surprise me, Crispy

Reference: RCU AMA Discussion Forum

bye
No official specifics? I see, more hearsay again.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I echo the general sentiment, but keep in mind there are lots of folks out there enjoying this hobby that are not part of the AMA, and abide by the "rules" in general, like you or I do. Likewise, there are people in the AMA that also chose to do stupid things that can effect us all. Keep in mind though it wasn't just a few dopes flying quads that brought all this attention to the hobby and the issue. Big business and the military industrial complex played a huge role in this...we got swept up in this along the way.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM
HoundDog

If U don't like the way any organization spends your dues money then stop supporting them Boycot/ See where that get's ya. Remember the SFA how'd that work out? I'm sure thaters not renewing their AMA membership will bring them to their knees. Maybe they should deny them membership just as any insurance can deny anyone when their current membership expires. Again don' let the Door hit U in the A** on the way out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.