Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The issue is not about the policy mentioned above. It's about whether they provide flying site grant funding to those clubs that have exclusivity.
And what was the net result of AMA's action (or inaction)? Loss of a flying site, loss of a club, loss of some members, and loss of an advocate trying to help establish a flying site.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If I remember there was a lot of discussion and discourse that went on over the Muncie site. It went on and on for a long time ... If I remember correctly. Old age memory being what it is.
I wonder if there would be more media interest / support for our hobby if instead of holding nationals only in Munice, they rotated to various sites around the country - ones closer to major media markets?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And what was the net result of AMA's action (or inaction)? Loss of a flying site, loss of a club, loss of some members, and loss of an advocate trying to help establish a flying site.
What's the point of fair and reasonable accommodation and where does it end? Do you expect the AMA to also build and test fly the members' models, mow the grass, stock the club fridge, and empty their Porta John's?

IIRC the flying site assistance program only covered 10% of the cost of a project. If you had 30 members and they couldn't come up with the last 10% on their own it indicates to me that those 30 members never wanted a new field to begin with.

As I've said many times, a club is a small business. If you're not going to be creative, innovate, and resourceful and not going to be willing to go the extra mile to get things done it's not going to happy. I've seen very many a club/member unwilling to go out of their way to make things "happen".
Old 11-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Also, how about the club taking responsibility for their own destiny? Seriously, it's the AMA's fault because they lost their field and couldn't find another one? How do we know they even invested any energy in find another field?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:21 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I wonder if there would be more media interest / support for our hobby if instead of holding nationals only in Muncie, they rotated to various sites around the country - ones closer to major media markets?
If I recall correctly that the NATs were held ad different venues all over the country i.e. different place every year. A lot of the discussion before Muncie was that the NATs would be held at Muncie year after year. Resulting in that only the people close or those that could afford to attend would have a chance to compete in the NATs. There was also something I remember about a lot of the staff from Reston Virginia could not see them selves living in cow pasture country in the middle of Indiana of all places,
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM
franklin_m

What's the point of fair and reasonable accommodation and where does it end? Do you expect the AMA to also build and test fly the members' models, mow the grass, stock the club fridge, and empty their Porta John's?

IIRC the flying site assistance program only covered 10% of the cost of a project. If you had 30 members and they couldn't come up with the last 10% on their own it indicates to me that those 30 members never wanted a new field to begin with.

As I've said many times, a club is a small business. If you're not going to be creative, innovate, and resourceful and not going to be willing to go the extra mile to get things done it's not going to happy. I've seen very many a club/member unwilling to go out of their way to make things "happen".
Well, considering they were already preparing to pay for concrete for the pit area, metal for the sun shades, fencing for site control, and assorted stuff for pilot stations and work tables, they just didn't have the extra funds to pay for the DG. It's unfortunate, since land is usually the toughest part, and the club had that as well.

We can argue all day. No matter what there's an excuse for AMA, and I think they spend too much in Muncie and not enough elsewhere.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Well, considering they were already preparing to pay for concrete for the pit area, metal for the sun shades, fencing for site control, and assorted stuff for pilot stations and work tables, they just didn't have the extra funds to pay for the DG. It's unfortunate, since land is usually the toughest part, and the club had that as well.

We can argue all day. No matter what there's an excuse for AMA, and I think they spend too much in Muncie and not enough elsewhere.
No matter what there's always blame thrown at the AMA, they can do no right for some. To much there, not enough here, etc etc etc. Can't make everyone happy.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So the priority was a concrete pit area, sunshades, worktables, etc. over the DG and having a basic flying field? I'd say their priorities are out of alignment.

We can argue all day.

It's not about arguing, it's about learning how to do the right things, for the right reasons, in the right way. Sorry, but I'd much rather have a flying field with no amenities than have all the amenities and no flying field. Buy hey, that's me.

No matter what there's an excuse for AMA, and I think they spend too much in Muncie and not enough elsewhere.

I see, so your original intent was never to secure a flying site, just to find another reason to berate the AMA.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 AM
franklin_m

Sorry, but I'd much rather have a flying field with no amenities than have all the amenities and no flying field.
In an area where during the primary flying season, the air temp can be over 100 for weeks at a time, and a club population of advanced age, shade shelters are virtually a safety issue. We're not idiots contrary to what you're trying to imply.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
No matter what there's always blame thrown at the AMA, they can do no right for some. To much there, not enough here, etc etc etc. Can't make everyone happy.
Well, the folks that live in/around Muncie are certainly happy. Others? Remains to be seen.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:02 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, the folks that live in/around Muncie are certainly happy. Others? Remains to be seen.
You have no clue what that field is used for do you? Do you think that field is there for a few folks to use here and there? Perhaps the building and field should be sold, everyone who works for the AMA can work "virtually", and all that free money should be dispersed out to the membership for their little pet vanity projects....and free membership. Great way to run an organization!

Why is it that people that are the most vocal about having small government, and allowing people do deal with things themselves are always the first in line with their hand out...gimmie gimmie gimmie. Wait, I want more, give me more! How come they have more, I want more.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

In an area where during the primary flying season, the air temp can be over 100 for weeks at a time, and a club population of advanced age, shade shelters are virtually a safety issue. We're not idiots contrary to what you're trying to imply.
Excuses, excuses. All the more reason to blame the AMA. The last time I checked, State College, PA wasn't that far South. Heck, you're not even considered part of the South.

July is only averaging 82F:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/uspa2543
Old 11-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Why is it that people that are the most vocal about having small government, and allowing people do deal with things themselves are always the first in line with their hand out...gimmie gimmie gimmie. Wait, I want more, give me more! How come they have more, I want more.
Yup!
Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What's not to love about Beautiful Luxurious Muncie?

https://youtu.be/KRZuihE2hOA

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 11-21-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:45 PM
franklin_m

Excuses, excuses. All the more reason to blame the AMA. The last time I checked, State College, PA wasn't that far South. Heck, you're not even considered part of the South.

July is only averaging 82F:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/uspa2543

That's not where I was stationed at the time.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:52 PM
franklin_m

Why is it that people that are the most vocal about having small government, and allowing people do deal with things themselves are always the first in line with their hand out...gimmie gimmie gimmie.
When did the AMA become government? Last time I checked, they were a dues collecting private organization. In which case, members have every right to ask for things.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:39 PM
rcmiket

You have no clue what that field is used for do you?

I know that they hold the NATS there. Isn't the main use day to day flying for those that are in the area.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 11-21-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

When did the AMA become government? Last time I checked, they were a dues collecting private organization. In which case, members have every right to ask for things.

Ask for as if it's an entitlement you mean, because you're a dues payer? I wasn't aware that was one of the rights and priveldges of being an AMA member, that being the right to ask for some of my dues back for pet projects.

As you were last checking, did you notice that this private organization already does give money out, site grants and scholarships being just two examples? I know this won't be nearly enough, they have to give more and more money away to make everyone happy, but will it? Of course not, because then someone will come along complaining that they didn't get something, or that another group got more than they did.

Weren't you one of the folks complaining about the AMA's cash on hand position not that long ago too? The AMA is run like a business, not Pop Pop and Granny at Christmas time checking off wish list items.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I know that they hold the NATS there. Isn't the main use day to day flying for those that are in the area.

Mike
You are correct sir...that is one big part of what that field is used for. Isn't it great that the AMA can host world class level events at a spectacular field, we should be proud of this.

AMA members are entitled to utilize the flying facilities at the IAC at no charge. Some restrictions apply when special events are in operation. Members are encouraged to call Joyce Hager (ext 200) prior to coming out to fly, to assure the facility they wish to use is not in use by a special event. To view the IAC calendar, click here.
AMA members may request the use of the IAC for sanctioned events. If you wish to run an event at the IAC, the steps are simple. No events (except those run directly by AMA) are given traditional status. Click on this link for the event registration form. Print and fill out the form then fax to Joyce Hager at (765-289-4248) or mail to: [email protected]

Academy of Model Aeronautics
C/O Joyce Hager
5161 E Memorial Dr
Muncie IN 47302
(800) 435-9262
Old 11-21-2015, 07:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

XFC, IRCHA, Nats, NEFI

In time the field is generally available weather wise, there's a lot going on there. It's a spectacular facility as well and the museum contains an amazing collection of modeling history.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Doesn't matter, we're screwed.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ask for as if it's an entitlement you mean, because you're a dues payer? I wasn't aware that was one of the rights and priveldges of being an AMA member, that being the right to ask for some of my dues back for pet projects.

Some? How about the guys who expect more than they'll ever put in? You know, because they're fed up and aren't going to renew for the following year.

As you were last checking, did you notice that this private organization already does give money out, site grants and scholarships being just two examples? I know this won't be nearly enough, they have to give more and more money away to make everyone happy, but will it? Of course not, because then someone will come along complaining that they didn't get something, or that another group got more than they did.

Weren't you one of the folks complaining about the AMA's cash on hand position not that long ago too? The AMA is run like a business, not Pop Pop and Granny at Christmas time checking off wish list items.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That's not where I was stationed at the time.
We then, we still don't know the location, but if they have a cooler Fall-Spring is that somehow still not acceptable? No different than the folks up North who don't fly in the Winter because it's too cold out.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Doesn't matter, we're screwed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	2131782  
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

We then, we still don't know the location, but if they have a cooler Fall-Spring is that somehow still not acceptable? No different than the folks up North who don't fly in the Winter because it's too cold out.
Well wait a second there......SOME of us Northerners fly every days of the year One of our clubs best events is our frozen finger fun fly, Jan 1 of each year. Don't know if I mentioned but I sent a grant request to the AMA for individual solar powered heated huts for each member of the club to fly from, but I never heard back from them. You would think with all that money and property and that highfalutin museum they could have thrown me a few thousand dollars, after all, I pay dues. Rumor is they have stockpiled gold bullion in the basement.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3001cut.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2131783  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.