Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's humorous to see pages of "Lethality Calculations" with accepted levels of risk calcs thrown in, but these Educated Idiots fail to realize that the risks associated with Essential Services can not be compared [in any way] with the risks involved while playing with a toy.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:20 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Why not dot it yourself and learn something on your own? Isn't getting something directly from the source better than third party hearsay from a public Internet forum?
II know just what it says and knew it was coming all along. Just figured I'd give you something to read and TRY to digest.
Just how much did we spend again to prevent this?
Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 02:27 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
II know just what it says and knew it was coming all along. Just figured I'd give you something to read and TRY to digest.
Just how much did we spend again to prevent this?
Mike
You knew it all along, every bit of it? C'mon dude. As for what "we" spent....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	2132098  
Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
You knew it all along, every bit of it? C'mon dude. As for what "we" spent....

Really maybe a memory block? A number of us here flat out told you ( and others) just what was going to happen. We even had a silly wager on it. You can make all the silly jokes you want the reality hit home today. The AMA dropped the ball on this one.

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Really maybe a memory block? A number of us here flat out told you ( and others) just what was going to happen. We even had a silly wager on it. You can make all the silly jokes you want the reality hit home today. The AMA dropped the ball on this one.

Mike
What ball did they drop?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:27 PM
rcmiket

What ball did they drop?
The " fighting erroneous government regulation" thing. Which were being handed on a silver platter. You do remember how you had a fit over us questioning the wisdom of that mess don't you?
Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 03:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Stop already...you did not "call this one"...please. And I tried to make a wager with you....multiple times. You would never take me up on it, and I know why. There was never a doubt that you would find any result anything less that a total failure, so in that regard yes...you saw the future. The AMA would have dropped the ball if they were involved, or were not involved...paid 1.00, or a million dollars, etc etc.

Forget the AMA, or the others involved in the process and focus on the outcome as presented. Big nasty horrible changes to the hobby? Of course not. Big changes to how you fly, or how your club will operate, of course not. It is frustrating that we all have to go through this, sure. Not much anyone could have done to stop this.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM
rcmiket

Stop already...you did not "call this one"...please. And I tried to make a wager with you....multiple times. You would never take me up on it, and I know why. There was never a doubt that you would find any result anything less that a total failure, so in that regard yes...you saw the future. The AMA would have dropped the ball if they were involved, or were not involved...paid 1.00, or a million dollars, etc etc.

Forget the AMA, or the others involved in the process and focus on the outcome as presented. Big nasty horrible changes to the hobby? Of course not. Big changes to how you fly, or how your club will operate, of course not. It is frustrating that we all have to go through this, sure. Not much anyone could have done to stop this.
Ya know if I were you I would start adding IMO to all your posts. It will save you a lot of hassle down the road

Mike
Old 11-23-2015, 04:59 PM
franklin_m

It'll be interesting to see what happens to memberships...if you own your own home and don't fly at an AMA field, no compelling reason to be a member -- unless you like paying $75 for a magazine.

Last edited by franklin_m; 11-23-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Ya know if I were you I would start adding IMO to all your posts. It will save you a lot of hassle down the road

Mike
What an odd comment...some kind of subtle threat of what's to come, or just helpful advice? If I was ever worried about being hassled, I sure wouldn't be posting in an AMA thread. I do so knowing full well the majority of folks see it different. I really don't see it as a hassle though, I don't mind the back and forth, it's good to hear other positions and I have no issue with mine being challenged. I have no problem with being wrong either, it's bound to happen eventually. I've been told what I am supposed to do when that happens. Seriously though, nobody can see everything that will happen in the future. I'd posit that I wasn't far off, save the specific exclusion of fixed wing.

Before you start in...yes, I've challenged others, but only when it seemed like an opinion was being noted as fact (ie the majority of people are against the AMA doing xyz). Did it without calling them a troll, Pinocchio, doughboy, or a lawn ornament too. 90% of what's posted in opinion, not fact, so it's common to see others disagree, even more so given the topic. The disappointing part comes in with the name calling, which I think is beneath most of the adults here. There are some that want nothing more than to disrupt and derail and attack, in a mean spirited way. And for what...because they don't agree with something someone said. The level of anger is just weird to me, especially abut something like this...a hobby that i supposed to be fun.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
It'll be interesting to see what happens to memberships...if you own your own home and don't fly at an AMA field, no compelling reason to be a member -- unless you like paying $75 for a magazine.
Let me take a stab in the dark here...you project they will decrease, significantly right? Chances are if you own your own home and don't fly at an AMA field....you might not be a member of the AMA already, see how that can work too? So they wouldn't "lose" that membership, which is different than not gaining it. Net result is the same though..no dues.

I think we already covered the issue a few times though and might have agreed that it will take 2 of not 3 years to see how the membership numbers look after the discounted rate effect wears off. Do you see this announcement as having any effect? Will we lose members as a result of this (assuming it remains as is)...do you think it will stop any member from joining (regardless of what they fly)? I'm not seeing it...but anything is possible. IMO. Ha!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

I only read it for the articles...there are some GREAT ones in there too sometimes.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:02 PM
franklin_m

Let me take a stab in the dark here...you project they will decrease, significantly right? Chances are if you own your own home and don't fly at an AMA field....you might not be a member of the AMA already, see how that can work too? So they wouldn't "lose" that membership, which is different than not gaining it. Net result is the same though..no dues.

I think we already covered the issue a few times though and might have agreed that it will take 2 of not 3 years to see how the membership numbers look after the discounted rate effect wears off. Do you see this announcement as having any effect? Will we lose members as a result of this (assuming it remains as is)...do you think it will stop any member from joining (regardless of what they fly)? I'm not seeing it...but anything is possible. IMO. Ha!

I do think that the paid AMA membership numbers will decay over time, but I think it's more a death by a thousand cuts than any single issue. Price of entry, aging demographic, loss of fields, regulation, and easy availability of good flying aircraft that don't require AMA club sized field. Tim
Old 11-24-2015, 01:30 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Folks have owned their own homes, flown at non-AMA insured fields, and have complained about the cost of an AMA membership since the inception of the AMA.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I do think that the paid AMA membership numbers will decay over time, but I think it's more a death by a thousand cuts than any single issue. Price of entry, aging demographic, loss of fields, regulation, and easy availability of good flying aircraft that don't require AMA club sized field. Tim
I think the aging demographic is a concern, but in the big scheme of things the cost an AMA membership is insignificant.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

I think it will vary from year to year, not much up or down. I think the aging demographic is the big factor, not pricing. The trick is to get younger folks involved. With what people spend today on cellphones, electronics, headphones...and have you seen the price for a pair of ...athletic shoes? I don't even know if that's what they are called anymore, KDs, Jordans, Nikes etc. At $200.00 a pop for entry level ones, there doesn't appear to be a huge shortage of disposal income for some.

I officially am old, complaining about the price of athletic shoes.

Last edited by porcia83; 11-24-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 AM
rcmiket

Folks have owned their own homes, flown at non-AMA insured fields, and have complained about the cost of an AMA membership since the inception of the AMA.
Well now that have even mores reasons to question why they belong don't they? Maybe when all the "drone" guys join things will brighten up.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 AM
rcmiket

I only read it for the articles...there are some GREAT ones in there too sometimes.
The magazine has many uses.It's great to mix epoxy on and for paint masks it's great. If you save enough copies you can stack them fro weight to put on laminated model parts till the glue dries. Of course the same can be done with a 99 cent roll of wax paper ( except the weight thing)

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 AM
rcmiket

I think it will vary from year to year, not much up or down.
Honestly 2016 ( actually the 2015 financials) should show a pretty good dollar increase due to the guys who went with the 2 year deal and the increase in the lifetime members
After that the numbers will be more realistic as far as growth or decline.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Well now that have even mores reasons to question why they belong don't they? Maybe when all the "drone" guys join things will brighten up.

Mike
No different than the number of questions that existed 80 years ago.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The magazine has many uses.It's great to mix epoxy on and for paint masks it's great. If you save enough copies you can stack them fro weight to put on laminated model parts till the glue dries. Of course the same can be done with a 99 cent roll of wax paper ( except the weight thing)

Mike
Remember, it's YOUR magazine, just like it's YOUR $1M that was spent. How many articles have you authored for MA?

Maybe if you read it, you would have known about the club charter renewal fee increase that you sensationalized here just the other day.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:35 AM
franklin_m

Remember, it's YOUR magazine, just like it's YOUR $1M that was spent. How many articles have you authored for MA?
So, in the off chance I decide to write an article for the magazine, what is your accepted method for submitting it so that if they don't publish it, it's nothing I've done?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

So, in the off chance I decide to write an article for the magazine, what is your accepted method for submitting it so that if they don't publish it, it's nothing I've done?
Why not contact them directly and find out for yourself?

http://www.modelaviation.com/authorguidelines
Old 11-24-2015, 06:55 AM
franklin_m

Why not contact them directly and find out for yourself?

http://www.modelaviation.com/authorguidelines
Actually, I want you to go on record. They encourage contact by email, which I did and got no response; you said I should have called. When I called, you said I should have sent a letter. I want to see if you're willing to go on record with what you would consider acceptable.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 AM
rcmiket

renewal fee increase that you sensationalized here just the other day.
Really? It was far from "sensationalized".

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.