Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:09 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Why not contact them directly and find out for yourself?

http://www.modelaviation.com/authorguidelines
Why when we can come here and get it straight from the expert? As you are quickly becoming a legend as far as being the "go to" guy for all things.

Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Why when we can come here and get it straight from the expert? As you are quickly becoming a legend as far as being the "go to" guy for all things.

Mike
Actually right now and real soon, anybody related to Turkey would be the "go to" guy.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Actually, I want you to go on record. They encourage contact by email, which I did and got no response; you said I should have called. When I called, you said I should have sent a letter. I want to see if you're willing to go on record with what you would consider acceptable.
Apparently, you failed to understand the escalation process I was describing.

What I would do:

1) Email

if no response,

2) Follow-up in writing. Mail via USPS.

if no response,

3) Follow-up in writing again, send USPS certified mail. CC President/Executive Director.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:58 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
I'm no expert. I do try to be helpful and find answers for folks when they ask questions and direct them to the source of the information they're looking for. Isn't that what the forums are all about?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 AM
franklin_m

Apparently, you failed to understand the escalation process I was describing.

What I would do:

1) Email

if no response,

2) Follow-up in writing. Mail via USPS.

if no response,

3) Follow-up in writing again, send USPS certified mail. CC President/Executive Director.

Wow. That sounds like an approach a lawyer would take to prove receipt. Pretty disappointing that a member has to go to that length just to get the organization to provide the courtesy of a response. Sure doesn't speak to a good administrative process, or for accountability or respect for member submissions. Also points to dysfunctional staff, but that's more a managment issue inside the HQ.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. That sounds like an approach a lawyer would take to prove receipt. Pretty disappointing that a member has to go to that length just to get the organization to provide the courtesy of a response. Sure doesn't speak to a good administrative process, or for accountability or respect for member submissions. Also points to dysfunctional staff, but that's more a managment issue inside the HQ.
These are the steps he learned to take while he was looking for a woman who would go out with him.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That's my own personal escalation procedure, not standard operating procedure. As previously communicated to you, I've never had to escalate in all my communications with the AMA (~20 years). All my emails (and phone calls when used as primary communications method) have always been answered/returned.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:03 AM
franklin_m

That's my own personal escalation procedure, not standard operating procedure. As previously communicated to you, I've never had to escalate in all my communications with the AMA (~20 years). All my emails (and phone calls when used as primary communications method) have always been answered/returned.
Not surprising given that you spend quite a lot of time shilling for them.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ah yes, another complete revolution on the AMA hater lifecycle.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 AM
franklin_m

Ah yes, another complete revolution on the AMA hater lifecycle.
I don't hate the AMA. In fact, I'll even concede they're a bunch of good guys that are trying their best. But, I think they've made bad decisions and have been consistently outclassed in this effort.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by combatpigg
These are the steps he learned to take while he was looking for a woman who would go out with him.
Ok, now that is really funny.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Good god Franklin....really? Shilling?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:43 AM
rcmiket

I was just thumbing thru the latest issue of M.A.
From the Copilots Seat Page 140

""Only 5 years ago we had roughly 142,000 ,but 2015 saw our membership grow to a all time high of 187,666 Of that more than 50,000 are youth members."

So in reality we have 137,666 ( if that) paying members. I have no problem with youth members but lets be more realistic on paying members footing the bill. Which brings me to the next item.

In that same article

"AMA has partnered with major retailers concerning their selling of drones. With each qualifying multirotor sold, the retailers provide their customers with information on "Know Before You Fly" and a one year AMA membership. If the customer is already a AMA member ,then one year is added to his or her membership".

The argument that the AMA is "going to the drones" is right on target. Now were giving free AMA memberships to them. What about the poor fixed wing, helicopter or glider guy?
No wonder they needed a dues increase someone has to pay for this.......................................

Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

""Only 5 years ago we had roughly 142,000 ,but 2015 saw our membership grow to a all time high of 187,666 Of that more than 50,000 are youth members."

So in reality we have 137,666 ( if that) paying members. I have no problem with youth members but lets be more realistic on paying members footing the bill. Which brings me to the next item.

In that same article

"AMA has partnered with major retailers concerning their selling of drones. With each qualifying multirotor sold, the retailers provide their customers with information on "Know Before You Fly" and a one year AMA membership. If the customer is already a AMA member ,then one year is added to his or her membership".

The argument that the AMA is "going to the drones" is right on target. Now were giving free AMA memberships to them. What about the poor fixed wing, helicopter or glider guy?
No wonder they needed a dues increase someone has to pay for this.......................................

Mike
If they don't get the magazine I don't think it costs much. Some will join the following year as paid members. With the upcoming FAA battle members won't hurt, but then again they will need the membership $'s.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If they don't get the magazine I don't think it costs much. Some will join the following year as paid members. With the upcoming FAA battle members won't hurt, but then again they will need the membership $'s.
Here's some food for thought: The AMA wouldn't NEED millions of dollars in revenue if they were to just stick with the traditional members that they have had for almost 80 years. Kind of a catch-22 to NEED new membersip $$ just to advocate for the new members you are embracing!

Regards,
Old 12-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by astrohog
Here's some food for thought: The AMA wouldn't NEED millions of dollars in revenue if they were to just stick with the traditional members that they have had for almost 80 years. Kind of a catch-22 to NEED new membersip $$ just to advocate for the new members you are embracing!

Regards,
Not true, the FAA was pushing congress to regulate model airplanes since about 2008, this has nothing to do with so called embracing of drones. In fact nothing to do with drones at all. It has to do with model airplanes as defined by the COTUS. The so called drones are part of the model airplane definition. No one here had a problem with the definition till this year.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

In that same article

Mike
the retailers provide their customers with information on "Know Before You Fly" and a one year AMA membership.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 12-04-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Boy Chrispy, that is worse than a HoundDog post!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:21 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

In that same article

Looks like that's reason to buy My first Quad/Drone/Multi roter. Think they might throw anothe year in if I got it with FPV and Another for GPS. LOL

Mike
Above like Frankie and others
Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Boy Chrispy, that is worse than a HoundDog post!
Ya Crispy U better watch it U R Ceamp'en My Style .... Besides the FONT POLICE will be after U 2.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:25 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true, the FAA was pushing congress to regulate model airplanes since about 2008, this has nothing to do with so called embracing of drones. In fact nothing to do with drones at all. It has to do with model airplanes as defined by the COTUS. The so called drones are part of the model airplane definition. No one here had a problem with the definition till this year.
It's actually not that simple. While the FAA saw the need for regulation of commercial and autonomous operations, they were cooperating with the AMA at the time to protect traditional modeling. Turns out that while the AMA was "romancing the drones" they got run over by the Gov. and their cherished CBO status is really a leaky sieve.

Astro
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA was not cooperating with the AMA, in fact they were fighting each other. AMA has not and is not romancing drones. Instead they are working with us and others to protect model aviation which happens to include multi rotor or quads.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM
rcmiket

the retailers provide their customers with information on "Know Before You Fly" and a one year AMA membership.
Sure they "provide them with the information" wonder who's picking up the tab? Lets see if I actually get a response from the AMA on it.

Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Sure they "provide them with the information" wonder who's picking up the tab? Lets see if I actually get a response from the AMA on it.

Mike
Looks like YOU only had nine posts in this very thread on the very same subject less than a month ago:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...bership-3.html
Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 AM
rcmiket

Looks like YOU only had nine posts in this very thread on the very same subject less than a month ago:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...bership-3.html
In that thread nobody knew who was picking up the tab. We speculated Yuncee and Best Buy.. Now that I'm reading about it in the magazine that the "AMA has partnered with". I'm wondering just who is paying for it. What part of that do you have a problem with other just trolling for a argument?
I emailed the author of the article asking for clarification. When and if I get it I'll post it.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.