Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Airport relationships?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Airport relationships?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 07:10 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Within the city limits of Arlington, RC flying of any sort is illegal. On the flip side, the airport has set aside a nicely mowed field for control line flyers. I fly just south of city limits and the airport has warned all local pilots about my "operations".
LOL.
Can I assume that it is Arlington Muni (AWO) that is warned of your operations?

Frank
Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Within the city limits of Arlington, RC flying of any sort is illegal.
LOL.

There it is LCS, you are only kidding yourself about NOT posting quotes out of context on purpose.
The title of this thread is "Airport Relationships..?"
This should help you to understand why I shared my story in this thread....[energize light bulb emoticon].
Do you just mainly troll on those days when you fall off the wagon...?

Last edited by combatpigg; 04-20-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM
TimJ

Isn't it rather ironic that model airplanes are banned, but not full size?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
How many RC clubs/individuals have a relationship with, or are acknowledged by, their local public use airport(s)?

Frank
Frank,
Here is an example.

Franklin Country Remote Control Club in Turners Falls, Massachusetts.

http://www.franklinrc.com/

They have a rather unique location to the Turners Falls Airport, like basically right next to the runway, off to the side.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5932...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

They have a fantastic working relationship with the airport. Constant and open communication occurs between both entities, and that has been going on for many years (the club is over 30 years old). They also promote and attend each others functions, ie aviation day etc. I visited the club last year and met some of the club officers and flew with the members as well. They had recently installed a geotex runway and were preparing for an event. They have their safety rules posted, and it's crystal clear what is and isn't allowed.

I don't know what type of traffic the airport gets, I think I remember some small jets and a bunch of other planes one would normally see at a smaller airport. I saw at least 9 or 10 planes come in and take off in the two hours I was there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	airfield 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	720.9 KB
ID:	2090583  
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Don't blame me...you are the one that interjected RCer'srelationship with the city... But what the hey, if you don't want to expand on or know anything else about that, that's perfectly fine too... Still don't know why you seemed to think it was worth mentioning... Especially due to you recent caterwauling.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
Isn't it rather ironic that model airplanes are banned, but not full size?
This airport has been the source of at least a few mishaps that I recall over the past 25 years. In the 1990s there were more ultralights venturing away from the airport and flying over the community. Back then there were plenty of places to make emergency landings. At least a couple ultralights ended up tangled in trees or farmer's fields.
At an air show a stunt pilot crashed and burned on airport property. The EMTs were right there, but the man was already ashes by the time they could get to him. The wealthy widow sued the city for a huge amount.
There was also an incident where a 16 year old was taking off at the same moment that an old man was landing a recently restored biplane. They met at about 30 feet and IIRC both came out of it OK.
Paul Allen keeps a fleet of warbirds up here and we are regularly treated to the sights and sounds of those antiques. The sky above my house is busy this time of year with stunt pilots practicing their routines. There never has been a shortage of places to fly RC around here, but I was surprised to hear that the City banned it in town...but this area is so heavily invested in full scale aviation that I can see why.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:50 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by porcia83
Frank,
Here is an example.

Franklin Country Remote Control Club in Turners Falls, Massachusetts.

http://www.franklinrc.com/

They have a rather unique location to the Turners Falls Airport, like basically right next to the runway, off to the side.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5932...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

They have a fantastic working relationship with the airport. Constant and open communication occurs between both entities, and that has been going on for many years (the club is over 30 years old). They also promote and attend each others functions, ie aviation day etc. I visited the club last year and met some of the club officers and flew with the members as well. They had recently installed a geotex runway and were preparing for an event. They have their safety rules posted, and it's crystal clear what is and isn't allowed.

I don't know what type of traffic the airport gets, I think I remember some small jets and a bunch of other planes one would normally see at a smaller airport. I saw at least 9 or 10 planes come in and take off in the two hours I was there.
Thanks, added to the list. 0B5 directory claims 33 aircraft based there and an average of 48 operation per day. The clubs no fly zone to the north looks a bit tight but manageable.

Frank
Old 04-21-2015, 01:57 AM
phlpsfrnk

Within the city limits of Arlington, RC flying of any sort is illegal.
LOL.

There it is LCS, you are only kidding yourself about NOT posting quotes out of context on purpose.
The title of this thread is "Airport Relationships..?"
This should help you to understand why I shared my story in this thread....[energize light bulb emoticon].
Do you just mainly troll on those days when you fall off the wagon...?

Thanks, I've added AWO to the list. I believe Tampa has a ban on RC in public parks but don't know if that extends to the city in general.

Frank
Old 04-21-2015, 04:43 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we're counting cities that restrict RC flying then add Oklahoma City too.

• § 38-99. - Model aircraft.

Model aircraft flying shall not be allowed in any park except in those areas designated for such activities.
    (Ord. No. 20098, § 2, 1-18-94)
    Note that the ban applies to ALL models not just RC.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a tight field all around, there's actually far more vegetation/trees that it looks in the pic. The main landing approach is complicated by the treeline so it takes some getting used to to come over the trees, drop down quick and bleed off speed at the same time. Challenging but fun.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by MajorTomski

• Note that the ban applies to ALL models not just RC.
That was not my original intent but I guess we should take the bad as well as the good. Does this mean that any time I’m in Oklahoma City my grandson can’t fly his SkyStreak at the local park without getting a ticket or arrested?

Wonder what the back story is that caused that kind of knee jerk reaction?

Frank

Name:	AAAADOQcf_sAAAAAAZzQxA.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	2090765  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by porcia83
it's a tight field all around, there's actually far more vegetation/trees that it looks in the pic. The main landing approach is complicated by the treeline so it takes some getting used to to come over the trees, drop down quick and bleed off speed at the same time. Challenging but fun.
I used to belong to a club in southern New Hampshire that was hemmed in all around by trees except for an opening at one end. We used to tell the students that if they could learn to fly there they could fly anywhere. In the spring when the local river flooded we did a lot of float flying.

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 04-21-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:08 AM
MajorTomski

Does this mean that any time I’m in Oklahoma City my grandson can’t fly his SkyStreak at the local park without getting a ticket or arrested?
Frank
Technically, yes. OTH I doubt many police officers actually know it's on the books. More of a club to use to get someone to stop when the cops say stop.

Wonder what the back story is that caused that kind of knee jerk reaction?
Frank
There were some 'renegade' flyers using a large open field in a south side park. The field had a walking trail around it. There were too many incidents of walkers being 'accidentally' chased off the trails. When the parks dept and police dept found out they didn't have any power to remove the flyers for that particular action, this 1994 law became the solution.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

• § 38-99. - Model aircraft.

Model aircraft flying shall not be allowed in any park except in those areas designated for such activities.
    (Ord. No. 20098, § 2, 1-18-94)

Note that the ban applies to ALL models not just RC.
the ordinance implies there are designated areas for model aviation... I hope that is the case.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 AM
TimJ

Follow the money trail. I am willing to bet, someone high to do in the aviation community is either on the city board, or donated a rather large amount of money to the city. There would be no logical reason to ban a family hobby.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM
MajorTomski

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
the ordinance implies there are designated areas for model aviation... I hope that is the case.
Fortunately yes. At the time of the writing OKC had three model aviation areas. Topping park was a three ring U/C field near I-44 that was given to the city to be maintained into perpetuity. TORKS AMA 1648 leases the Tom Jones Memorial Field in the Lake Hefner complex on the NW side of town. Baxter Field AMA 1777 was the home of the Baxter Field Flyers on the SE side of town in the Lake Stanley Draper complex.

As of today TORKS still leases from the city
Baxter Fiield was taken over by the City and they now charge $5 a day or $50 a year to fly there and you must have AMA.
The last U/C flying lawyer died and Topping field has been plowed under to make an new interchange at I-44 and I-235.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 AM
phlpsfrnk

The last U/C flying lawyer died and Topping field has been plowed under to make an new interchange at I-44 and I-235.
Man, you are literally talking about a dying breed!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:43 AM
MajorTomski

Man, you are literally talking about a dying breed!
Yes, he would literally go down to the county court and file injunctions for about 20 years forcing the city to maintain and keep the park open as they had agreed to do when they accepted the land back in the 60's. And now, it's gone.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:16 AM
phlpsfrnk

Yes, he would literally go down to the county court and file injunctions for about 20 years forcing the city to maintain and keep the park open as they had agreed to do when they accepted the land back in the 60's. And now, it's gone.
Unfortunately that includes most of the rest of us that remember what its like to fly control line. Sorry to see it go, can't find many U/C circles any more.

Frank
Old 04-21-2015, 01:20 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Our club is based at Perry/Warsaw airport. both the airport manager as well as the town of perry are awesome . They both went the extra mile in helping us get the use of the airport.

Name:	PerryWarsawAirport1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	2090847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130706_101514_585.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2090848  
Old 04-21-2015, 02:50 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to belong to a club in southern New Hampshire that was hemmed in all around by trees except for an opening at one end. We used to tell the students that if they could learn to fly there they could fly anywhere. In the spring when the local river flooded we did a lot of float flying.

Frank
Flooding is mostly fixed... but it is still a tight field....

Massachusetts Model Aircraft Association and the Lawrence Airport are in close communication. Phone call to the towers when you start and when you stop flying to let them know pilots are out there.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Our club is based at Perry/Warsaw airport. both the airport manager as well as the town of perry are awesome . They both went the extra mile in helping us get the use of the airport.
Glad to hear of another positive relationship. Would that be Perry/Warsaw, NY (01G)?

Frank
Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by mattnew
Flooding is mostly fixed... but it is still a tight field....

Massachusetts Model Aircraft Association and the Lawrence Airport are in close communication. Phone call to the towers when you start and when you stop flying to let them know pilots are out there.
mattnew,
The club I was referring to is the Southern New Hampshire Flying Eagles field in Merrimack, N. H. It is between Nashua (ASH) and Manchester (MHT) airports.

Frank
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mattnew,
The club I was referring to is the Southern New Hampshire Flying Eagles field in Merrimack, N. H. It is between Nashua (ASH) and Manchester (MHT) airports.

Frank
oh.. yeah.. that was meant to be two different comments, One about SNH and then another about MMAA....
Old 04-27-2015, 10:04 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by mattnew
oh.. yeah.. that was meant to be two different comments, One about SNH and then another about MMAA....
Okay, got it, updated list in post one and added Lawrence. Thanks for the clarification.

Frank