Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Insurance

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Insurance

Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Insurance

Group,

Here is a new topic other that hating on the multirotor or FPV topics. Today lets talk AMA insurance.

1. Someone made a stupid mistake and did not unplug the large lipo from his E-flying airplane, Took off the wing and place it next to the inside of the pilot fence.
2. 20 minutes or so later the plane went to full power and struck another pilot
3. The pilot struck had to go to the ER due to the prop did get him. The 2 pilots talked about this and the pilot that owns the airplane would call the AMA.
4. The pilot who own the plane never reported the accedent but the pilot that was struck did.
5. After the club found out 3 weeks later they reported it just to find out no one reported this accendent until now and paper was sent to both pilots.
6. After a week the AMA calls the pilot who owns the plane due to the paperwork has not arrived to the AMA.
7. another week passes and the AMA has not heard from the pilot that owns the plane.

What do you think? What would you do?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by crash99

Depends on whether I was the one that owned the model or the one hurt by the model. Either way, wouldn't show my AMA card in the ER expecting much.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by crash99
Group,

Same as if I were injured by someone else under any other circumstance: make the claim to my own health insurance company and leave it to them to recover costs from the party that is liable.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 AM
crash99

I called the AMA and found out if a non AMA member caused a medical issue to include flying a plane, the AMA medical would jump right in and start coverage. But if its a AMA member then until the AMA member summits the paperwork, they can not start the claim process.

Crash99
Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Same as if I were injured by someone else under any other circumstance: make the claim to my own health insurance company and leave it to them to recover costs from the party that is liable.
+ 1. Also I think you have to decide if you as the injured party is out of enough money to make it worth becoming involved in a potential lawsuit should you try to force the hand
of the pilot responsible.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 AM
cetme308

It would be nice to know how much the ER bill was. Seems at this point its in the hands of the insurance company.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM
crash99

This is a what if question.

Crash99
Old 05-14-2015, 02:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The responsible, or rather irresponsible party should really step up here. He's had ample opportunity to get the process rolling and it appears he has done so for no good reason. The injured party has a valid claim and could go after not only the person who caused his injury, but the club as well. Assuming the club knows who the person was that did this, what exactly are they doing about it now? Are they putting any kind of pressure on the guy? They should be looking into what happened, and also looking at their rules. If they guy refuses to cooperate I'd look to see if there was a reason to kick him out of the club. Not for the mistake, but for the lack of action afterwards.

The injured party could also get an atty to send the guy a letter if he wants to go that route. Not sure if it's worth the hassle. Hope if works out for him. Those prop strikes can be nasty and leave some bad scars. Scars= $$
Old 05-14-2015, 03:16 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

The injured person need to urge AMA to get this resolved.
Or further get in contact with the actual insurance company (AMA is rather an insurance broker), they can not just delay the payments forever because their
client does not respond.
I'd give them a few weeks and then probably get a lawyer involved. Also have the club contact their member and remind him of the problems, I can not see a club letting this person continue to fly as long as this is not resolved.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM
FlyWheel

Y'all are aware that the "AMA's" insurance policy is only a backup to cover that which the parties own insurance will not cover, right?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:29 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, Flywheel. The problems is - you need to get a handle on that guy. He won't just give you his HO or other liability insurance papers.
Since you know he is covered under AMA's policy - this is probably the easiest way to go.
And they all may even deny the coverage after getting the facts. But once the insurance has paid for the bills, they would have to go to their client to get their money back, not the injured guy.
If they deny the claim before they had paid anything, the injured had to sue the pilot to get his costs covered. And that can take forever and he may get nothing.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i was holding a helocoptor tail when i slipped and got my thumb in the rotor blade>> went to the hospital and they had to sew it back on>> i called ama and got my paper work>> sent it back and they in turned call my own insurance company i did nothing more all was paid for by ama and my insurance company i paid nothing