Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Insurance - AMA dues - Are we paying our fair share

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Insurance - AMA dues - Are we paying our fair share

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 02:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of many, of that I am sure. Two kids who eat like no tomorrow, and the prospect of college...I thought I would ask while the wallet was out.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:25 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crash99
While flying at the field yesterday I saw the normal for our field. Warbirds, sport, Giant, small, Foamy, heli and balsa planes. All of us at the field has paid in our $58.00 to the AMA for our insurance, Mag and other items that comes with the $58.00 dues.

But is it fair or right that the guy flying the heavy wardbirds are paying the same as the multi rotor flyer? both are not within the park flyer limits so why should the much higher risk warbird flyer pay the same for their insurance that the multi rotor pilot? That seems unfair. Compaired to the other flyers the 3D and Multi rotor has most likely been in much less amount of AMA claims compaired to Warbirds or even sport or trainers. I would not be shocked if the real number was 0.

So if a AMA members wants to fly those higher risk warbirds then maybe they should have to pay their fair share. I am not saying ban the warbird guys but they should pay their fair share. Maybe if you fly warbirds then your dues should be raised and the rest of the membership should stay at the $58.00 for 2016.

Crash99
I find this suggestion to be a big steaming pile of rubbish. Giant Scale Warbirds go through more scrutiny than your 3D or multi rotor pilot and aircraft. Giant scale Warbirds have to be inspected once a year, the pilot has to prove him/her self competent to fly. Going by your logic it is the Multi Rotor and 3D pilot that should be paying more due to higher risk.

Man, thank you so much for your comedy for the day. I still can't stop laughing at your post. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:54 PM
porcia83
Banned

But how do you really feel? Jeez...the guy made a suggestion.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:03 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where's the error in reported AMA membership versus reverse-engineered estimate.

I think all the comments in this thread are valuable, even the ones that say all the comments in this thread are stoopid.
There has been some good info brought out here - the AMA site has no area for members to beat out the truths. Once again, I maintain that I am pro AMA.
Probably we will discover that administration is doing a good job. In every way except maybe member relations.
When it comes to the AMA needing more transparency, the members can make a difference.

In response to the membership numbers, I reversed engineered the numbers using 2013 (latest) numbers from the 990 report.
I accounted for a 5% increase in membership/dues to 2014

I don't see how the purported AMA membership numbers can be real based on revenues from dues.

From my manual "pivot table" in excel (trial and error) the membership numbers are around 122,000.
That's 30% fewer than the 180,000 number being bandied about. That's a huge difference, folks.

A is a manual approximation of dues, accounting for the different types of AMA membership, of estimated 2014 dues over 2013 reported dues (form 990 info).
B is the estimated 2014 membership dues - my target for the approximation, A.
C is the resultant membership numbers.

Now, can anyone explain how this number can be so different than the 180,000?

All my best - Peter

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA membership pivot table.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	2108097  
Old 07-08-2015, 03:08 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

The more devout members sign up their grandkids and anyone else they can for free to prop up the numbers. Not ethical IMO
Old 07-08-2015, 03:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by crash99
While flying at the field yesterday I saw the normal for our field. Warbirds, sport, Giant, small, Foamy, heli and balsa planes. All of us at the field has paid in our $58.00 to the AMA for our insurance, Mag and other items that comes with the $58.00 dues.

But is it fair or right that the guy flying the heavy wardbirds are paying the same as the multi rotor flyer? both are not within the park flyer limits so why should the much higher risk warbird flyer pay the same for their insurance that the multi rotor pilot? That seems unfair. Compaired to the other flyers the 3D and Multi rotor has most likely been in much less amount of AMA claims compaired to Warbirds or even sport or trainers. I would not be shocked if the real number was 0.

So if a AMA members wants to fly those higher risk warbirds then maybe they should have to pay their fair share. I am not saying ban the warbird guys but they should pay their fair share. Maybe if you fly warbirds then your dues should be raised and the rest of the membership should stay at the $58.00 for 2016.

Crash99

Originally Posted by TimJ
I find this suggestion to be a big steaming pile of rubbish. Giant Scale Warbirds go through more scrutiny than your 3D or multi rotor pilot and aircraft. Giant scale Warbirds have to be inspected once a year, the pilot has to prove him/her self competent to fly. Going by your logic it is the Multi Rotor and 3D pilot that should be paying more due to higher risk.

Man, thank you so much for your comedy for the day. I still can't stop laughing at your post. Thanks.
Both of U are WRONG it's not the model that is more dangerous ... It's the PILOT. U all know who he is ... every club has at least one. U know the guy that is always flying over the pits over the pilot stations (By accident) of course. The guy that crashes all the time. The guy that is just plain UNSAFE. If any ones dues should be more it should be these types.
I firmly believe that every club should have a formal Student Training program. There should be Instructor Pilot(s) and a student should be approved to solo only after proving they are able to complete a number of flights where the prove them selves to be competent in Take Off, Landing Especially with cross winds. Fly straight and level. Put the plane where they want it by doing Loops Roles and other maneuvers to prove they are competent to fly
Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
TimJ

Did you read my post?

Those are good suggestions HoundDog. This would help in many ways. Especially the new comer that wonders on to the field.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
I think all the comments in this thread are valuable, even the ones that say all the comments in this thread are stoopid.
There has been some good info brought out here - the AMA site has no area for members to beat out the truths. Once again, I maintain that I am pro AMA.
Probably we will discover that administration is doing a good job. In every way except maybe member relations.
When it comes to the AMA needing more transparency, the members can make a difference.

In response to the membership numbers, I reversed engineered the numbers using 2013 (latest) numbers from the 990 report.

I don't see how the purported AMA membership numbers can be real based on revenues from dues.

From my manual "pivot table" in excel (trial and error) the membership numbers are around 122,000.
That's 30% fewer than the 180,000 number being bandied about. That's a huge difference, folks.

A is a manual approximation of dues, accounting for the different types of AMA membership, of estimated 2014 dues over 2013 reported dues (form 990 info).

All my best - Peter

Is is possible to have that many or close to that many "LIFE MEMBERS", I wonder?
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM
HoundDog

Did you read my post?

Those are good suggestions HoundDog. This would help in many ways. Especially the new comer that wonders on to the field.
Of course I did ... and people that fly large Models War Birds and anything over 1/4 scale 99/9% of the time are the better pilots.
I can show U one exception that .01% that fly only giant scale and probably shouldn't be allowed to fly a kite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxCaupAQ8Q
Old 07-08-2015, 04:04 PM
HoundDog

All my best - Peter

Looks Like U missed one Membership type (Column G) the Youth under 19 that don't pay anything for full membership. but (No Magazine)
Old 07-08-2015, 04:10 PM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Both of U are WRONG it's not the model that is more dangerous ... It's the PILOT. U all know who he is ... every club has at least one. U know the guy that is always flying over the pits over the pilot stations (By accident) of course. The guy that crashes all the time. The guy that is just plain UNSAFE. If any ones dues should be more it should be these types.
I firmly believe that every club should have a formal Student Training program. There should be Instructor Pilot(s) and a student should be approved to solo only after proving they are able to complete a number of flights where the prove them selves to be competent in Take Off, Landing Especially with cross winds. Fly straight and level. Put the plane where they want it by doing Loops Roles and other maneuvers to prove they are competent to fly
I agree on the training part. We live in a litigious age. These innocent planes can become unguided missiles. Surprised it hasn't surfaced sooner. I'm not for too many regs but it seems something modest can be done. One problem is accountability if a "certified flyer" messes up and then goes back and accuses the trainer of insufficient or improper training. Therein lies the problem. Everybody has to get lawyered up.
I think the chatter about AMA dues increase is bringing out good issues like this. We might as well have AMA recognized trainers, and a basic capabilities/knowledge regimen.
Maybe this is getting ad hoc.

But doesn't seem like it after that vid. Seemed like everybody ran for the clubhouse when this guy flew, notice that - the peanut gallery?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:21 PM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Looks Like U missed one Membership type (Column G) the Youth under 19 that don't pay anything for full membership. but (No Magazine)
Good catch.
Roughly, the increase in dues upon the 122,000 AMA members = $1,805,417. Within two years the dues revenues will be increased by that much, disregarding membership growth. Or shrinkage.
There are lot of attorneys, insurance, and accounting types among us who can be chiming in with perhaps some deeper insights.
Anyone listening?
Old 07-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Duncman

Looks like a ransom note!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Good catch.
Roughly, the increase in dues upon the 122,000 AMA members = $1,805,417. Within two years the dues revenues will be increased by that much, disregarding membership growth. Or shrinkage.
There are lot of attorneys, insurance, and accounting types among us who can be chiming in with perhaps some deeper insights.
Anyone listening?
Kudos to you for that analysis....an interesting read. But, you lost me at PIVOT TABLES, it's like reading for work! I'll dig on that table for a while....you make some interesting points.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need a reference to support your claim that giant scale war birds have to be inspected once a year. The only AMA inspection required that I know of is the LMA program.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by pkoury
I need a reference to support your claim that giant scale war birds have to be inspected once a year. The only AMA inspection required that I know of is the LMA program.
Yep, I'd like to see that too..especially the part where there is a distinction between warbirds and the 3D model's criteria. Sounds like another anti 3D post to me....but that's old hat now...we are supposed to be attacking only the really new types of aero modeling here...Attacking 3D is almost like attacking free-flight now...ROTFLMAOPIMP. talking about comedy....
Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM
TimJ

When I speak Giant Scale, I mean the LMA program.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Yep, I'd like to see that too..especially the part where there is a distinction between warbirds and the 3D model's criteria. Sounds like another anti 3D post to me....but that's old hat now...we are supposed to be attacking only the really new types of aero modeling here...Attacking 3D is almost like attacking free-flight now...ROTFLMAOPIMP. talking about comedy....
Don't forget to attack the warbird guys that have money..........
Old 07-09-2015, 02:14 PM
littlecrankshaf

Don't forget to attack the warbird guys that have money..........
LOL...You mean Mr. Money Bags... Tim, I was just funnin around a bit.... Anyway, I might be the only one here that doesn't have a problem with any aspect of the hobby or anyone in general that enjoys the hobby provided they are considerate of others... Even ole six-pack Joe.... I pretty much believe anyone trying to fly whatever is going to be a pretty good guy... Of course there will always be a few that are a problem... Both sides of the spectrum... But I'll always look at them individually and try not say anything to harm the rest of us.... I really do believe in the long run that's our best strategy.... Sometimes we are our own worst enemies..Just oust the few and go on....
Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM
TimJ

LOL...You mean Mr. Money Bags... Tim, I was just funnin around a bit.... Anyway, I might be the only one here that doesn't have a problem with any aspect of the hobby or anyone in general that enjoys the hobby provided they are considerate of others... Even ole six-pack Joe.... I pretty much believe anyone trying to fly whatever is going to be a pretty good guy... Of course there will always be a few that are a problem... Both sides of the spectrum... But I'll always look at them individually and try not say anything to harm the rest of us.... I really do believe in the long run that's our best strategy.... Sometimes we are our own worst enemies..Just oust the few and go on....
I was as well. Following your lead on that one. LOL! I feel exactly the same way. Damn, once again, you amazed me by your comments. I had you pegged differently. LOL
Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 PM
littlecrankshaf

I had you pegged differently. LOL
yea, I guess I must get a lot of bad press ;-) n

seriously, I can never understand guys that are always bringing every negative to the forefront expecting a positive outcome....

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 07-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:24 AM
GerKonig

All my best - Peter

Did you pose this question to the AMA or just here? Because here you will not get an answer, and it is an interesting question.

Gerry
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Duncman

Well put.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry I have been away but life is busy and I have been flying my planes not the keyboard.

There is a simple reason scale warbirds is such a higher risk that 3D type aircraft. But a good point is the pilot is a factor on risk. Here is some simple math Inertia is P=MV and F=MA. So momentum of the body at given velocity ; so a 3D aircraft needing very little speed to fly and a scale warbird needs much more speed to fly, are you with me? both motors stop the 3D aircraft will fall down much quicker due to the force of gravity. F=MA would be force downward and MA will be the ground.

On a warbird keeping in mind P momentum moving forward at a higher rate than downward due to gravity at first and for a much longer distance than a 3D aircraft, Gravity will over take momentum at some point and the object will fall. The risk of going into a crowd of is much greater due to F=MA.

So simple math is simple math. That is why scale warbird pilots should pay a higher rate than a safer class of RC pilots. Don't get me wrong I love to watch wardirds.

Crash99
Old 07-22-2015, 12:07 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'd say that simple math is just that, probably too simple. The numbers don't add up. Way to many variables to calculate, and you've only listed a few. Most importantly, I'd rather see actual stats based on actual incidents, not hypotheticals. If your theory is correct, do turbines have a higher risk than warbirds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.