Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Change is coming...

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Change is coming...

Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change is coming...

The way a membership year is figured is going to change, according to what I read...

"• Beginning September 15, AMA will move its membership year from a calendar year to year-to-date."

For years many thought it not doable... Looks like AMA is trying to be a little more flexible.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:35 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
The way a membership year is figured is going to change, according to what I read...

"• Beginning September 15, AMA will move its membership year from a calendar year to year-to-date."

For years many thought it not doable... Looks like AMA is trying to be a little more flexible.
It's about time they made a revision. Get a lot more members that way.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:10 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How?
Old 06-17-2015, 06:00 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change kind of like global warming
Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
It's about time they made a revision. Get a lot more members that way.
Hopefully it will be a good thing.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 PM
FlyWheel

Certainly more convenient.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only people it will affect are new members. The new member will pay for a whole years membership instead of a pro rated amount. If I understand it right.

Fran
Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by countilaw
The only people it will affect are new members. The new member will pay for a whole years membership instead of a pro rated amount. If I understand it right.

Fran
AMA has offered incentives for years for new members that join late in the year. If you were a member, within five years, they did not give a break on the dues. I think the "new deal" is a good thing, as having more choices is always a plus in my book.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know crank. It seems ot me its a way to get more money but make it look like it's less. I remember when I first joined (yes I can still remember that long ago) I joined in October and got my next year included - so I got my first three months free.
They say don't look a git horse in the mouth. Maybe not but you might want to check it's butt.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Can you provide a reference to the source of this information?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Can you provide a reference to the source of this information?
Sure. http://www.modelaircraft.org/membershipfaqs.aspx

[h=2]Can I lock-in at my current membership dues rate? YES![/h]You can lock into the current dues rate of $58 for Open or $48 for a Senior membership for one year or two years beginning July 1 through September 14. Your membership would expire on December 31, 2016 or 2017 depending if you lock in for one year or two years.
• Members who have provided their email address will receive email notification beginning July 1.

• You can renew your membership online by going to the AMA website beginning July 1.

• You can renew you membership by telephone beginning July 1.

• There will be new enrollment form in the August issue of Model Aviation for members who want to use mail.

• New members joining the AMA between July 1 and September 14 can join for $58 Open and $48 for Senior memberships and receive the rest of 2015 and all of 2016. Membership would expire December 31, 2016.

• Park Pilot members can lock into the $29.95 rate beginning July 1 through September 14.

• AMA has a lifetime membership for $1,500 which might be a good option for some and will not increase regardless of possible future dues increases.

• Beginning September 15, AMA will move its membership year from a calendar year to year-to-date.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

• Beginning September 15, AMA will move its membership year from a calendar year to year-to-date.
Thanks for the reference. I just don't see any benefit to the migration from the calendar year to the year-to-date migration.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 AM
littlecrankshaf

Thanks for the reference. I just don't see any benefit to the migration from the calendar year to the year-to-date migration.
The one benefit is that those considering joining can join at anytime without worrying if they are getting the full value. As it is now, if you want to join during the flying season most had to consider just getting a partial year at the full rate or wait for the price breaks later... I know many that did not join until the last quarter so they could take advantage of the free months... When this new policy goes into effect it will give no one any reason to second guess their signup times. Modelers are very sensitive to expenditures...well with some things...and other things...money is no object...the key is understanding that...most don't unfortunately...
Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The one benefit is that those considering joining can join at anytime without worrying if they are getting the full value. As it is now, if you want to join during the flying season most had to consider just getting a partial year at the full rate or wait for the price breaks later... I know many that did not join until the last quarter so they could take advantage of the free months... When this new policy goes into effect it will give no one any reason to second guess their signup times. Modelers are very sensitive to expenditures...well with some things...and other things...money is no object...the key is understanding that...most don't unfortunately...
Please, the constant bellyaching about a $$$ is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous, yet impressive at the same time, is the amount of time and energy some folks expend bellyaching about a few $$$$.

If someone interested in flying is going to forgo and entire flying season so they can get a few free months after flying season is over they're probably not going to be in the hobby long anyway.

Unfortunately, this also means club officers will need to constantly track members AMA expiration dates to ensure members whose AMA membership expires mid-year renew their membership. As a club officer, I won't be doing this. We'll investigate changing our club rules so members who renew their club membership based on a calendar year also have their AMA membership paid in full for the calendar year as well.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That change can make a real headache for club secretaries .......
Old 06-18-2015, 06:54 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see a problem I'm sure the AMA can send each club a list of members each month if their membership has expired.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A club sec'y will have to check each month and if he has a list of " non- ama" club members,i it will be his job to contact those indivuals, follow up with their " The check's in the mail" crap....and with a club of 200-300 members, the office of secretary will be harder to fill.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
I don't see a problem I'm sure the AMA can send each club a list of members each month if their membership has expired.
You're obviously not a club officer.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:19 PM
littlecrankshaf

Our club bylaws state the minute your AMA lapses you club membership is extinguished as well... So never a need to dun anyone about that... members are aware of that from get-go and we haven't had a single problem...So this change will matter not to our club secretary...
Old 06-19-2015, 03:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Our club bylaws state the minute your AMA lapses you club membership is extinguished as well... So never a need to dun anyone about that... members are aware of that from get-go and we haven't had a single problem...So this change will matter not to our club secretary...
Are you a club officer?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 AM
rcmiket

As club Secretary I just got one more thing I have to do.
Just what I needed.

Mike
Old 06-19-2015, 06:23 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if any clubs will adopt the year to date system and tie a member's yearly club renewal to their AMA renewal ? If both the AMA and club year to date were tied together , there would be no worry of having someone's AMA run out while their club dues were still active .
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
I wonder if any clubs will adopt the year to date system and tie a member's yearly club renewal to their AMA renewal ? If both the AMA and club year to date were tied together , there would be no worry of having someone's AMA run out while their club dues were still active .
Collecting dues once a year is a big enough work effort for even a small-medium sized club. Making it a year-round activity doesn't make sense from a business perspective.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Ace Dude and rcmiket are absolutely right, as an officer the first couple months of the year are a real pain collecting everyone's club dues and verifying they have renewed their AMA. Now it will be year around job making sure everyone is current and thus "legal" to fly at our "insurance required" park district field. Big clubs make you wear your AMA card on your hat, I can see why now.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 AM
littlecrankshaf

Are you a club officer?
Not presently, but have been for quite a long time. Treasurer and board member for many years. Had to beg off...LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.