Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Change is coming...

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Change is coming...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Not presently, but have been for quite a long time. Treasurer and board member for many years. Had to beg off...LOL
Good, then you're well aware of the work effort involved in collecting dues and verifying all members renewed their AMA membership. Now, rather than keeping it an annual process it becomes a year round process....
Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

Our club, SCCMAS has you put your club membership card on a clothspin at the Xmitter impound and their is a new post with a panel that has 12 pins to hold your AMA
card. Its located at the runway entry, just beyond the start up area. Their are seven flite stations.

Sorry to hear about the extra work for the C.S.
May someone buy you a well deserved burger and ice cold beverage at your next swap meet.

Plane ~

Last edited by Pete Lane; 06-19-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Pete Lane
Our club, SCCMAS has you put your club membership card on a clothspin at the Xmitter impound and their is a new post with a panel that has 12 pins to hold your AMA
card. Its located at the runway entry, just beyond the start up area. Their are seven flite stations.

Sorry to hear about the extra work.........

Plane ~
That's great if you have a busy club and members who self-police, but not all clubs have that luxury. Many clubs no longer have TX impounds these days.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:53 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Good, then you're well aware of the work effort involved in collecting dues and verifying all members renewed their AMA membership. Now, rather than keeping it an annual process it becomes a year round process....
Never found it a problem. The biggest pain...and that was very simple stuff, was adding the club members' info (just one time!) on the roster for AMA...but after that is done it's really a very simple matter to go to AMA's website and view the club roster to see who's current. AMA makes it about as easy as it could ever be to keep up with that kind of thing...
Old 06-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

That's great if you have a busy club and members who self-police, but not all clubs have that luxury. Many clubs no longer have TX impounds these days.
The 72 MHZ pins came in handy for the display of club cards. The giant fixture was left intact just in case someone shows up on 72

Plane
Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Never found it a problem. The biggest pain...and that was very simple stuff, was adding the club members' info (just one time!) on the roster for AMA...but after that is done it's really a very simple matter to go to AMA's website and view the club roster to see who's current. AMA makes it about as easy as it could ever be to keep up with that kind of thing...
It's not about knowing when it's going to expire, it's about ensuring external parties (e.g. club members) renew their membership before it expires. If you have any hands-on experience as a club officer, then you already know not everyone pays their dues on time, not everyone renews their AMA before it expires, etc.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:35 AM
littlecrankshaf

It's not about knowing when it's going to expire, it's about ensuring external parties (e.g. club members) renew their membership before it expires. If you have any hands-on experience as a club officer, then you already know not everyone pays their dues on time, not everyone renews their AMA before it expires, etc.
You are right about people not being timely with dues. But with our system it doesn't matter...its all on them...They only have themselves to blame or worry about...and yes, I have had many years experience in that capacity.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You are right about people not being timely with dues. But with our system it doesn't matter...its all on them...They only have themselves to blame or worry about...and yes, I have had many years experience in that capacity.
When someone doesn't renew and has an accident at the field it won't be "all on them". The entire club will suffer.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:24 AM
littlecrankshaf

When someone doesn't renew and has an accident at the field it won't be "all on them". The entire club will suffer.
Not sure how the club suffers...By virtue of being a AMA chartered club, the club is insured... Think about it...if someone, say just to spectate, comes to the field and has an accident...and is not even flying, the club is covered... Now, I know you will make the distinction based on whether or not they are flying...but please direct me to any exclusion to the club's liability insurance based on a non-club or non-AMA member's activity. If you give me that, I will concede your point and offer my apologies for my ignorance. Fair enough???
Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not sure how the club suffers...By virtue of being a AMA chartered club, the club is insured... Think about it...if someone, say just to spectate, comes to the field and has an accident...and is not even flying, the club is covered... Now, I know you will make the distinction based on whether or not they are flying...but please direct me to any exclusion to the club's liability insurance based on a non-club or non-AMA member's activity. If you give me that, I will concede your point and offer my apologies for my ignorance. Fair enough???
It's quite simple actually. The vast majority of clubs don't own the property their club field is on. Lets just say an accident of any kind occurs and the property owner learns the member who caused or was involved in the accident was operating with an expired AMA membership. Out of liability concerns and irresponsible actions caused by one club member, the property owner terminates the club's use of the field. All members suffer the loss of their field. Ask any property owner allowing their property to be used by an R/C club what their number one concern is...liability.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 AM
littlecrankshaf

It's quite simple actually. The vast majority of clubs don't own the property their club field is on. Lets just say an accident of any kind occurs and the property owner learns the member who caused or was involved in the accident was operating with an expired AMA membership. Out of liability concerns and irresponsible actions caused by one club member, the property owner terminates the club's use of the field. All members suffer the loss of their field. Ask any property owner allowing their property to be used by an R/C club what their number one concern is...liability.
But land owners coverage provided by AMA clubs is primary... The land owner is covered regardless... Again, please be so kind as to direct me to any exclusions that actually exists. What you are saying is the old song and dance repeated over and over...but I find no basis in fact... but always looking to learn.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

But land owners coverage provided by AMA clubs is primary... The land owner is covered regardless... Again, please be so kind as to direct me to any exclusions that actually exists. What you are saying is the old song and dance repeated over and over...but I find no basis in fact... but always looking to learn.
Land owners have the right to refuse anyone to use their property at any time.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM
TimJ

This has the potential to be a nightmare for clubs.

Clubs will now need to adopt the same system to keep things right. Secretary's and Membership officers will now have their hand full year round.

Also, clubs will need to keep the membership drive going year round instead of just a few months out of the year.

This will prove to be interesting.

One positive about this, is if clubs decide to adopt the same policy, the potential of the yearly work load could spread out over time.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 AM
littlecrankshaf

Land owners have the right to refuse anyone to use their property at any time.
Sure they do...and will more often refuse use when they are feed a load of BS scare crapola... Maybe, just maybe, if they were properly reassured they are covered regardless, as is the case, the best I understand, that would be much less of a problem...you have a choice when negotiating with land owners...scare the hell out them or give them the facts... I don't think land owners should/would really buy into to letting their land use be determined on some technical exception that only some club officiate is responsible for enforcing nor should they...that's why it doesn't work that way...
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by TimJ
Clubs will now need to adopt the same system to keep things right.
No, they do not need to adopt the same system.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:50 AM
bradpaul

If this is a big issue for your club then make it part of your club charter that all AMA Memberships must be renewed in the month of December.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:55 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good idea bradpaul....it is helpful if everyone has to do that at one time. Even then we have our share of 'I forgot' excuses on our Jan 1 fun fly!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:56 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
If this is a big issue for your club then make it part of your club charter that all AMA Memberships must be renewed in the month of December.
Well there you go...an easy solution for those worried about such things.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG! Most of the post here are a prime example of what is wrong with this country, everybody is afraid of a little work. I have been on the board and an officer, no matter how you slice it the work consist of about one hour a month at the laptop. I was also responsible for mowing the 28 acres for three years, that's 9 hour days one day a week, so what! I'll say it again, soooo whaaat! I love flying and I am willing to do what it takes to have, keep, and maintain my club and it's property regardless of the 98% not willing to do anything. And I am quite sure every other club in this country is the same way. Sooo whaaat.
My auto is primary, homeowners secondary, and AMA as a last resort and I don't care what AMA raises it to I will be a member for I have and own far more than I am willing to lose to some jack-wad's lawsuit.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So if someone new joins AMA in July....they have to renew in December? Does AMA allow that?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by tailskid
So if someone new joins AMA in July....they have to renew in December? Does AMA allow that?
Don't let anyone join in July...dang...,you're just trying to complicate the issue...
Old 06-19-2015, 11:14 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by tailskid
do you actually think the AMA would send the money back or renew with a new expiration 18 months out?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by bradpaul
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...l#post12057293
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true! The secretary of our club has the hardest job of all, imo. Chasing dues, replacing membership cards, keeping track of AMA memberships. A thankless job sometimes.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acerc
OMG! Most of the post here are a prime example of what is wrong with this country, everybody is afraid of a little work. I have been on the board and an officer, no matter how you slice it the work consist of about one hour a month at the laptop. I was also responsible for mowing the 28 acres for three years, that's 9 hour days one day a week, so what! I'll say it again, soooo whaaat! I love flying and I am willing to do what it takes to have, keep, and maintain my club and it's property regardless of the 98% not willing to do anything. And I am quite sure every other club in this country is the same way. Sooo whaaat.
My auto is primary, homeowners secondary, and AMA as a last resort and I don't care what AMA raises it to I will be a member for I have and own far more than I am willing to lose to some jack-wad's lawsuit.
kudos to you sir....you are the type that keep clubs going through peeks and valleys. It's difficult to get people involved even with small tasks. The majority of our dues go to landscaping/cutting of the grass. It's almost 7,000 a year. We could get a brand spanking new top of the line mower and recover that cost in the same if not next year. And I'm sure for the first month or two lots of folks would want to have some fun, but it's a good 2-3 hours each cutting. I've said by month 3, it would fall on one or two people, who no doubt would eventually get mad at having to do it. So would I. It is nice however to have it done for us, and the guy is a member too. Was down there yesterday and it looked like a fairway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.