Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Change is coming...

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Change is coming...

Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I just spoke with the guy that followed me on the mowing day before yesterday and he says he is good but will let me know when a change of driver is needed. As for the other stuff, it is always the same select few, always has been and always will be. Our current president has been in office for four years now, and I don't see anyone stepping up to the plate in the near future. I was vice for a number of years and would be glad to be P but my personality would get in the way with some of the events we do, I don't sugar coat very well. Most join a club just to go play and could care less about any work needing done. And quite frankly I am ok with it, if more were involved more things would need mending.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:20 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Our club bylaws state the minute your AMA lapses you club membership is extinguished as well... So never a need to dun anyone about that... members are aware of that from get-go and we haven't had a single problem...So this change will matter not to our club secretary...
I like the way your club deals the AMA membership thing I think it's a good idea. Also short of posted a security guard at the flying site with a computer linked to the AMA there is no way
to insure that everybody flying will always be current with the AMA.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:22 PM
ira d

Sure they do...and will more often refuse use when they are feed a load of BS scare crapola... Maybe, just maybe, if they were properly reassured they are covered regardless, as is the case, the best I understand, that would be much less of a problem...you have a choice when negotiating with land owners...scare the hell out them or give them the facts... I don't think land owners should/would really buy into to letting their land use be determined on some technical exception that only some club officiate is responsible for enforcing nor should they...that's why it doesn't work that way...
Well said, I agree.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to be a troublemaker.....but those of you who have their club membership tied to AMA dues.....and have an initniation fee......when some lets their AMA expire....what do you do?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:44 AM
Dokesflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't AMA already provide on-line club rosters that club officers can look-up 24/7, with AMA membership expiration dates included? It would seem easy enough to print a copy and post at the field. Seems like a good tool for officers and a handy reminder for members to renew their memberships.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:26 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Doesn't AMA already provide on-line club rosters that club officers can look-up 24/7, with AMA membership expiration dates included? It would seem easy enough to print a copy and post at the field. Seems like a good tool for officers and a handy reminder for members to renew their memberships.
I use it to track who's up to date and who's not. It is very helpful. Make my job as Club Contact/ Secretary a bit easier.

Mike
Old 06-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by ira d
Also short of posted a security guard at the flying site with a computer linked to the AMA there is no way
to insure that everybody flying will always be current with the AMA.
Therein lies the problem. Today, I know every member of my club is current on their AMA and their AMA membership is valid through at least the end of 2015. No computer and no follow-up required.... The new change is actually a step backwards for clubs.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Dokesflyer
Why take a step backwards? The process in place today already takes care of this and isn't broken.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:23 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

screw the dues and the changes cant we talk about something better
Old 06-20-2015, 05:46 AM
Duncman

At first thought it seemed like a good idea but as I chewed on it I find it less appealing. Our club already has a bit of an issue with some members maintaining current AMA and this seems to be an issue at the first of the year with some folks, all sorts of songs and dances, i.e.: check in the mail, wouldn't print receipt, etc. Always happens at our first events of the year, so we just use the smart phone and go online for member verification, AMA verifies you fly, if not, you don't. Happens once, no issue for the remainder of the year, everyone has their card and boy do they whip it out when they register. I can only imagine doing the first of the year battle all year long. Leave well enough alone, I say. I might add that our field is remote so to get internet access I have to activate my hotspot and absorb that cost within my own personnel finance, if I had to maintain it for the whole year I would bill the club.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by Ace Dude
Why take a step backwards? The process in place today already takes care of this and isn't broken.
I think the idea of changing the club rules so that your club membership is only effect when your AMA is in effect is the way to go.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by Duncman
At first thought it seemed like a good idea but as I chewed on it I find it less appealing. Our club already has a bit of an issue with some members maintaining current AMA and this seems to be an issue at the first of the year with some folks, all sorts of songs and dances, i.e.: check in the mail, wouldn't print receipt, etc. Always happens at our first events of the year, so we just use the smart phone and go online for member verification, AMA verifies you fly, if not, you don't. Happens once, no issue for the remainder of the year, everyone has their card and boy do they whip it out when they register. I can only imagine doing the first of the year battle all year long. Leave well enough alone, I say. I might add that our field is remote so to get internet access I have to activate my hotspot and absorb that cost within my own personnel finance, if I had to maintain it for the whole year I would bill the club.
Just let it be known either you have a valid AMA card with you or you don't fly simple.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by ira d
I think the idea of changing the club rules so that your club membership is only effect when your AMA is in effect is the way to go.
Sounds good on paper, but it's not the reality when dealing with members. No club officer I know wants to deal with kicking out members mid-year for not renewing their AMA when the member paid for a full year's dues.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:53 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Sounds good on paper, but it's not the reality when dealing with members. No club officer I know wants to deal with kicking out members mid-year for not renewing their AMA when the member paid for a full year's dues.
Kicking out members??? Yea, what a chore...LOL At our club its all automatic...no one has to do anything...certainly no kicking involved...but we are a very friendly type club.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Kicking out members??? Yea, what a chore...LOL At our club its all automatic...no one has to do anything...certainly no kicking involved...but we are a very friendly type club.
Can you post your club's constitution and/or by-laws so we can see how it's done?
Old 06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
littlecrankshaf

Ace Dude,

You sure would be a perfect fit for another club here. They talley the roster and actually will make calls on New Years day morning warning-off those that might attend the yearly New years Day event if they have let their AMA lapse... What a pain...and so uncalled for...Just amazing how some people are so concerned with another's benefit that the AMA provides them. Unreal how such things get so twisted...
Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 AM
littlecrankshaf

Can you post your club's constitution and/or by-laws so we can see how it's done?
Could... but not going to...you are a bright enough guy IMO and should be able to figure out the solution if you tried even a little bit...but you probably won't since you seem obsessed with getting into other people's business...
Old 06-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Ace Dude,

You sure would be a perfect fit for another club here. They talley the roster and actually will make calls on New Years day morning warning-off those that might attend the yearly New years Day event if they have let their AMA lapse... What a pain...and so uncalled for...Just amazing how some people are so concerned with another's benefit that the AMA provides them. Unreal how such things get so twisted...
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. It's unfortunate some have such difficulty complying with such basic rules especially when the AMA sends out renewal notices months in advance. Additionally, they also offer two year renewals for those who find the annual process to be a significant work effort. Even further, they offer lifetime memberships so you never have to do another renewal again.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Could... but not going to...you are a bright enough guy IMO and should be able to figure out the solution if you tried even a little bit...but you probably won't since you seem obsessed with getting into other people's business...
Exactly what I expected. Just another individual quoting policy and procedure with no supporting documentation to back it up. Until sufficient documentation is provided, it's just heresay.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 AM
littlecrankshaf

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.
Look, I don't mean to be so facetious but just having a hard time understanding why you are so obsessed with other people's business, particularly their ability or inability to cover/maintain their own lability protection. Seems a person should worry more about the protections they have in place for themselves but I am not their daddy...
Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 AM
littlecrankshaf

Exactly what I expected. Just another individual quoting policy and procedure with no supporting documentation to back it up. Until sufficient documentation is provided, it's just heresay.
Yea, but in this case you heard it from the horse's mouth... I know you, like many others seem to only listen to the other end...LOL
Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 AM
littlecrankshaf

Oh and as for "another individual quoting policy and procedure with no supporting documentation"...I have asked you for anything to support your contentions as it relates directly to the assertions you have previously made... You just want me to do the dance...are you Lawrence Whelk??? LOL
Old 06-20-2015, 09:24 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Work smarter, not harder.
Secretaries, use Outlook Calendar, input the Month and name of each members renewal. That's a one time effort and then do the same with each new members as they join..
Next, within your clubs newsletter you likely communicate next months upcoming events, also add members with upcoming renewals. It's a helpful reminder for everyone, helps with accountability and member awareness. No excuses.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Dokesflyer

It may even be easier still. With AMA's club roster feature for club officers, simply go online and you can see which club members are current and which are not on your club roster - no need to look up club members individually!!!. It gives the renewal dates as well. When AMA starts using year-to-date membership, this feature should simplify the effort.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Look, I don't mean to be so facetious but just having a hard time understanding why you are so obsessed with other people's business, particularly their ability or inability to cover/maintain their own lability protection. Seems a person should worry more about the protections they have in place for themselves but I am not their daddy...
Other people's business? You're the one who made the statements quoting your club's policy and procedure and are the one who cannot backup your statements. Please don't tell me you're the former officer of one of the many clubs that just makes up the rules as they go along with no supporting documentation. I thought you were someone who values clearly defined and documented policy and procedures. Now, you either have it, or you don't....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.