Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question for Contest Directors, RE: FPV racing.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question for Contest Directors, RE: FPV racing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question for Contest Directors, RE: FPV racing.

Just seeing where the feelings lie on this.

It seems the growing trend, at least on YouTube, is for FPV racing. I'll admit on some of the courses it does look like a real adrenaline rush.

My question; Do you, as an AMA CD believe that you can register an FPV event in which the FPV air vehicle (plane, multi rotor or ‘copter) is obscured from the pilot stations? For example following a BMX trail through the woods.

Please answer with a yes or no or maybe and why.

Thank you,
Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

no
something about the spotter must be able to see the aircraft at all times in the document that allows FPV at a club field/AMA event.
also something about within the confines of the field comes to mind.
document 500 or 550, something like that on the AMA site members area.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM
MajorTomski

Thank you. Odd that there are no other comments.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
Thank you. Odd that there are no other comments.
By limiting the respondents to being contest directors only , how many did you think were going to respond ? I think in the time I've followed this forum (since 2009) I may have seen only 4 or 5 posters say they are CDs .
Old 06-19-2015, 10:17 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
By limiting the respondents to being contest directors only , how many did you think were going to respond ? I think in the time I've followed this forum (since 2009) I may have seen only 4 or 5 posters say they are CDs .
Yea...I'd like to make a post but the question was asked of CDs...Dang, I just posted...forgive my blunder.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:42 AM
bradpaul

When (not if) FPV technology evolves to include wide angle stereoscopic capability with full speed pan/tilt then why would anybody fly a RC plane remote from a ground perspective?

So yes FPV pylon, FPV combat, FPV aerobatics will happen sooner rather then later.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
Just seeing where the feelings lie on this.

It seems the growing trend, at least on YouTube, is for FPV racing. I'll admit on some of the courses it does look like a real adrenaline rush.

My question; Do you, as an AMA CD believe that you can register an FPV event in which the FPV air vehicle (plane, multi rotor or ‘copter) is obscured from the pilot stations? For example following a BMX trail through the woods.

Please answer with a yes or no or maybe and why.

Thank you,
I believe the answer is no.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/550.pdf

Specifically issues 3, (D) (E).

Might be a different story if it's an open field where the aircraft is always within VLOS.

CD answering!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 AM
TimJ

The answer would be NO.

AMA Document 550 should be followed.

Here is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s64YJQX7sUQ of FPV racing that follows AMA Document 550 for the most part.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:56 AM
bradpaul

Agree as regards following a non VLOS course. However as ALL AMA RULEBOOK EVENTS are flown VLOS, I see no reason why FPV could be restricted from use to fly an AMA event.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:57 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradpaul
When (not if) FPV technology evolves to include wide angle stereoscopic capability with full speed pan/tilt then why would anybody fly a RC plane remote from a ground perspective?
Simple answer to a simple question. Some of us enjoy RC flight vs. FPV flight. I enjoy watching my plane fly. I enjoy the challenges of the external frame of reference. I accept that others want an FPV view but both are legitimate pursuits. If I wanted FPV, I'd fly full scale.

Even when all your wide angle stereoscopic and other technologies reach their apex, I'll still be very happy flying with my external view. I'll be happy for you to enjoy your view, love to share a flying field with any other discipline, but I'm thrilled by my flying style and it will still have merit after other styles evolve.

Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 06-19-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 AM
Duncman

I'm a cd and I would not allow it without some sort of line of sight system in place. It is here and is staying so IMO the AMA needs to look at it and set some guidelines, but it is still very new and not a lot of data out there, yet. Key word "yet".
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM
MajorTomski

Thank you everyone