Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drone collides with full scale plane video

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Drone collides with full scale plane video

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Drone collides with full scale plane video

Anyone seen this one. Looks legit. Can't make out the airline logo on the winglet, maybe foreign.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac3_1435080329
Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Anyone seen this one. Looks legit. Can't make out the airline logo on the winglet, maybe foreign.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac3_1435080329
Hmmm...looks fake to me.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of weeks old, and fake..

http://m.snopes.com/drone-strike-video/
Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
049flyer

Good to hear! Thanks.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:05 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It may have been fake in this instance but, unfortunately, the results would be the same if an RC hit that section a 737 wing as depicted in the video. That section is just fiberglass so what was shown would be a very plausible and it wouldn't matter if the R/C hitting the wing was a balsa airplane or a quad
Old 07-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, FAKE and here is a video released by the maker of the video explaining how it was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS3nb4bwHKQ Rafael
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

no comment until its confirmed real but i suspect it is fake.but unfortnuately the drone over a forest fire was not fake and forced a temporary abandon of dropping water or chemical suppresion to kill the fire.that person should be arrested for hindering a critical operation .he had not business to operate the drone in a fire being fought by planes.thank god most people using this technology are sane and have commonsense.sadly its incidents like that will get the greatest amount of tv giving us all a black eye.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

why cant the heliecopters follow the drone 300 feet above to see where it goes or have a cop in there wnd when the copter gets close shoot it??
Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
no comment...
I agree...no comment either. FWIW shooting a RPV spying directly over my property with a shot gun shouldn't get me arrested IMO. But since it likely will, is I guess I need to develop a device to throw a net. Hopefully with my invention I can retrieve the contraption virtually undamaged and very likely the owner will come looking for it real soon. Once he gets on my property I guess he will realize his mistake...after he takes a swing at me, I guess I'd be fully within my rights to defend myself with appropriate force... Once he regains speech, his arms heal, learns to walk again and leaves the hospital he can come over to my house and ask for it again. It's a shame he will probably take another swing at me... Some people just don't learn. But what the hey...there is a lesson in there somewhere for those perceptive enough to figure it out.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such chest thumping, gizmos and guns and fighting and injuries. So far it hasn't worked out to well for the people taking matters into their own hands. Perhaps the lesson best learned is to let the authorities deal with it?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A jammer on the 2.4Ghz range typical of the hobby will knock them down. No need to fire weapons illegally inside city or county limits which can cause you a lot of problems.

I advocate full scale AC have a device just like this with at least a half mile radius range to knock out drones in emergency response areas.
if not on the AC then on a ground station with a tall retractable antenna.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
A jammer on the 2.4Ghz range typical of the hobby will knock them down. No need to fire weapons illegally inside city or county limits which can cause you a lot of problems.

I advocate full scale AC have a device just like this with at least a half mile radius range to knock out drones in emergency response areas.
if not on the AC then on a ground station with a tall retractable antenna.
If you believe this?? Then why have they not used it?????????????????????
Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Pete Lane

In another thread it states that the feds are trying to decide who is at fault if the disabled craft kills someone on the ground when it falls from the sky.
Says its all ready to go, just needs the green light.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

pretty much all of the drone controllers have RTH, return to home, function, that would just send the drone back to where it took off from. well that direction until it gets good control signal again.
probably would not have a lot of them falling out of the sky from jamming devices, now, guns, nets, and other physical devices are another story...
Old 07-30-2015, 04:25 AM
049flyer

I believe there are FCC regulations prohibiting jamming.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by porcia83
Such chest thumping, gizmos and guns and fighting and injuries. So far it hasn't worked out to well for the people taking matters into their own hands. Perhaps the lesson best learned is to let the authorities deal with it?
Ok...just keep you're thumb hovering over the 911 speed dial then...Make sure its a 'land line" too... LOL
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
I believe there are FCC regulations prohibiting jamming.
Yea, a jammer would have to be a broadband, fairly high power jammer to swamp the receiver. That would also take out garage door remote controls, your bluetooth headset, your car remote, etc, etc, etc.

At one time, and maybe it is still so, the frequency requirements for the onboard camera had to opeate in the HAM band and you had to have a ham license to use it. If that is still true then why can't the FCC confiscate every drone system at every hobby store that operates in 2.4GHxz or 5.8GHZ as most of them do? These are the people making the money. These are the people who are letting the problem get worse. I used to like my LHS until profit become a driving factor over flying.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

California is leading the way and this will be all over by the end of the year. Non commercial drones will be banned in the state and others will follow suit.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:32 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
It may have been fake in this instance but, unfortunately, the results would be the same if an RC hit that section a 737 wing as depicted in the video. That section is just fiberglass so what was shown would be a very plausible and it wouldn't matter if the R/C hitting the wing was a balsa airplane or a quad
The winglet structure is Aluminum and Titanium with a composite skin.

Also, San Bernardino county is offering a $75,000 reward for the operators of the "Drones" interfering with the fire fighting aircraft.

"San Bernardino County supervisors on Tuesday approved $75,000 to be used as reward money for information leading to the arrest and conviction of illegal drone operators who forced the grounding of aerial firefighters during recent wildfires in the San Bernardino Mountains and High Desert.

The county’s $75,000 allocation will be divided into thirds, with $25,000 being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the drone operators responsible for grounding aircraft at the three most destructive wildfires: the North, Mill 2 and Lake fires."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WingLets_6.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2111893  

Last edited by ramboamt; 07-30-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Then they changed the structure from the ones I used to deal with. They had a thin aluminum leading edge, single spar running to the tip and a fiberglass/paper honeycomb skin. Regardless, they still are not designed to take a direct hit by anything bigger than a small bird.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 AM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

If you want to 'take out' any 2.4GHz RC system, it can be done easily, inexpensively, and also legally. What you need is four 250mW (or greater) 2.4GHz video transmitters. These transmitters are analog in nature. There are 4 different "channels", each occupying exactly 1/4 of the 2.4GHz bandwidth. if you turn on all 4 at the same time, each on a different channel, then no RC control system (be it XPS, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky, HoTT, Airtronics, JR DMSS, etc. etc) will even connect with a receiver. Effectively, the entire 2.4GHz band will be wiped out. This is why modeling clubs should NEVER allow 2.4GHz video transmitters at their field. 433MHz, 900MHz, 1.2GHz, and 5.8GHz are all fine.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JimDrew
If you want to 'take out' any 2.4GHz RC system, it can be done easily, inexpensively, and also legally. What you need is four 250mW (or greater) 2.4GHz video transmitters. These transmitters are analog in nature. There are 4 different "channels", each occupying exactly 1/4 of the 2.4GHz bandwidth. if you turn on all 4 at the same time, each on a different channel, then no RC control system (be it XPS, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, FrSky, HoTT, Airtronics, JR DMSS, etc. etc) will even connect with a receiver. Effectively, the entire 2.4GHz band will be wiped out. This is why modeling clubs should NEVER allow 2.4GHz video transmitters at their field. 433MHz, 900MHz, 1.2GHz, and 5.8GHz are all fine.
Very good info. Just wondering how prevalent 2.4GHz video transmitters are, especially in the hobby? I ask you, as you seem very knowlagdeble. Thanks in advance for your contribution.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

it is fake.........it was a bag of peanuts from a plane flying to our left........i knew this because i could read the lable on the bad as it went by
Old 07-30-2015, 02:52 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by handyman
it is fake.........it was a bag of peanuts from a plane flying to our left........i knew this because i could read the lable on the bad as it went by
Were they dry roasted or oil roasted or what?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Pete Lane

Some where in Africa an elephants stomach is groaning.......sniff sniif

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.