Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Proposed Drone Law in California

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Proposed Drone Law in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:35 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncman
I don't believe anyone said you referred to any FAA Documents, what Crispy was asking is how do you pull out MR's from FAA AC91-157A which defines what a Model Aircraft is. I ask the same question, how can you separate MR's from the rest of Model Aviation when that circular places them right in the middle of Model Aviation? Simple question
My focus is not on the FAA. The hobby I participate in has existed without FAA intervention for many decades. My focus is on the AMA. The AMA can define model aviation however it's membership sees fit. The FAA does NOT define who the AMA chooses to invite into their ranks and advocate for.

I never said anything about "removing MR's from the rest of model aviation" LOL

Astro
Old 09-25-2015, 04:43 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by porcia83
Simple really, it's a model, and it flies.

I hesitate to say it's "traditional" or not, since there is no clear definition of that.
Let me help you Porcia! Here is a definition of a model: (and it doesn't really describe MOST drones)

mod·el
ˈmädl/
noun
noun: model; plural noun: models
a three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.
"a model of St. Paul's Cathedral"
[TABLE="class: vk_tbl vk_gy"]
[TR]
[TD="class: lr_dct_nyms_ttl"]synonyms:[/TD]
[TD]replica, copy, representation, mock-up, dummy, imitation, duplicate, reproduction, facsimile [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Not too hard for most of us to wrap our heads around, "traditional model aviation" I am sorry you are having such a hard time with it! Maybe YOU should try a little harder! LOL

Astro
Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
Let me help you Porcia! Here is a definition of a model: (and it doesn't really describe MOST drones)

mod·el
ˈmädl/
noun
a three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.
[TR]
[TD]replica, copy, representation, mock-up, dummy, imitation, duplicate, reproduction, facsimile[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Not too hard for most of us to wrap our heads around, "traditional model aviation" I am sorry you are having such a hard time with it! Maybe YOU should try a little harder! LOL

Astro
Thanks you beat me to it.
Mike
Old 09-25-2015, 05:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

And how are 200 mph jets a threat to public safety? Please explain!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Common sense.

http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-gro...crash_spa.html

Did you just crawl out from under a rock? That is precisely what is happening right now!

The only thing happening now is those taking advantage of it in order to protect their vested financial interests. I hope you sponsor is giving you brownie points for this.

Astro
Above in red.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No. Not sure why you are trying to get me to answer any questions about any FAA AC numbers. Quid quo pro bro, show me where I ever referred to any FAA AC docs or said the AMA was embracing anything outside the scope of any of them.

I will not repeat myself AGAIN for your pleasure, Crispy. You simply can't, or refuse to, comprehend the written word.

Astro
Donald, is that you?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

My focus is not on the FAA. The hobby I participate in has existed without FAA intervention for many decades. My focus is on the AMA. The AMA can define model aviation however it's membership sees fit. The FAA does NOT define who the AMA chooses to invite into their ranks and advocate for.

I never said anything about "removing MR's from the rest of model aviation" LOL

Astro
Ignorance is bliss....
Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

mod·el
ˈmädl/
noun
[TR]
[TD]replica, copy, representation, mock-up, dummy, imitation, duplicate, reproduction, facsimile[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Astro
That's classic! The FAA has already defined model aircraft operations, but since you cannot understand it you come up with your own defintion. Have you considered a full-time career in polotics?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:23 AM
astrohog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Common sense
"common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen"

-Albert Einstein-
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 AM
astrohog

Ignorance is bliss....
You are a happy man!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:28 AM
astrohog

. Have you considered a full-time career in polotics?
what is this term, "polotics" you speak of?

Sounds like an elitist sport utilizing horses that are infested with parasites! LOL

Astro
Old 09-25-2015, 05:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Wow, Astro, full-on fanboy droning with no real substance, as usual. Racking up those fanboy points! I hope your sponsor takes notice.

drone
drōn/
verb
gerund or present participle: droning
  • make a continuous low humming sound.
    "in the far distance a machine droned"
    [TR]
    [TD]hum, buzz, whirr, vibrate, murmur, rumble, purr "a plane droned overhead"

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    • speak tediously in a dull monotonous tone.
      "he reached for another beer while astrohog droned on"
      [TR]
      [TD]speak boringly, go on and on, talk at length; Moreintone, pontificate;
      informalspout, sound off, jaw, spiel, speechify, bloviate
      "astrohog droned on about right and wrong"

[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]
    • move with a continuous humming sound.
      "traffic droned up and down the street"

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 09-25-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 AM
islandflyer

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Common sense.

Did you just crawl out from under a rock? That is precisely what is happening right now!

The only thing happening now is those taking advantage of it in order to protect their vested financial interests. I hope you sponsor is giving you brownie points for this.

Astro

Above in red.

Gratuitous statement! It only fair to ask YOU this time for evidence to back any of that red ink. Any supporting documents, evidence, etc?
Old 09-25-2015, 06:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by islandflyer

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Common sense.

Astro

Above in red.

Gratuitous statement! It only fair to ask YOU this time for evidence to back any of that red ink. Any supporting documents, evidence, etc?
Are you acknowledging astrohog is a PAU sponsored pilot?
Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by porcia83
Nice catch on the EC meeting notes, not sure who said that, but it it's written down it must be true!
The EC meeting Minutes are published and available on the AMA website. They are usually sort of boring, but sometimes you can find interesting little nuggets of information in them.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Silent-AV8R

That's classic! The FAA has already defined model aircraft operations, but since you cannot understand it you come up with your own defintion. Have you considered a full-time career in polotics?
Well, to be accurate, the definition of model aircraft was codified in P.L. 112-95, Section 336. The FAA merely repeats that definition in the current AC 91-57A and in their proposed FAR 101.41
Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 AM
islandflyer

double post

Last edited by islandflyer; 09-25-2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: double post
Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 AM
islandflyer

Are you acknowledging astrohog is a PAU sponsored pilot?
Absolutely not! He is not.
But as usual, you made a statement with no fact to back it up, while putting my facts into doubt repeatedly.
It IS a verifiable fact that I go to many events around the country, and speak to many people there, including AMA members and various people involved in Aeromodeling businesses: you can see for yourself all over other more interesting sites covering the events like XFC, Joe Nall, Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, Clover Creek Championship, various Huckfests and other more informal gatherings.
Just like I have stated clearly that drone sales are absolutely not in direct competition with Giant Scale aircraft sales (that is absolutely not my worry). You have made that statement repeatedly too, but we have never seen any evidence to back up your statement. I have also stated many times that I have not seen here an anti-drone position. The issue is only AMA's wide inclusion of drones, whereas many of us wish the AMA would invite the drone operators to crate their own association, and would rededicate themselves to representing us, the modelers who created the AMA in the first place, supported it financially for all these years, and voted for the leaders who are currently leading the association in what we feel is the wrong direction.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

But as usual, you made a statement with no fact to back it up, while putting my facts into doubt repeatedly.
It IS a verifiable fact that I go to many events around the country, and speak to many people there, including AMA members and various people involved in Aeromodeling businesses: you can see for yourself all over other more interesting sites covering the events like XFC, Joe Nall, Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, Clover Creek Championship, various Huckfests and other more informal gatherings.
Just like I have stated clearly that drone sales are absolutely not in direct competition with Giant Scale aircraft sales (that is absolutely not my worry). You have made that statement repeatedly too, but we have never seen any evidence to back up your statement. I have also stated many times that I have not seen here an anti-drone position. The issue is only AMA's wide inclusion of drones, whereas many of us wish the AMA would invite the drone operators to crate their own association, and would rededicate themselves to representing us, the modelers who created the AMA in the first place, supported it financially for all these years, and voted for the leaders who are currently leading the association in what we feel is the wrong direction.
You have a vested financial interest in selling fixed wing aircraft. As such, it would be in your best financial interest to prevent competition. It's business 101, enough said.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I certainly hope not, but he's never denied being a rep either. I'd never considering purchasing a product from a company who's rep talks to potential customers the way he does. Of course, that's business 101 too.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:58 AM
islandflyer

You have a vested financial interest in selling fixed wing aircraft. As such, it would be in your best financial interest to prevent competition. It's business 101, enough said.
Not a rep.

I certainly hope not, but he's never denied being a rep either. I'd never considering purchasing a product from a company who's rep talks to potential customers the way he does. Of course, that's business 101 too.
Drones are simply not in competition with what we produce. No more so than kites, gliders, helicopters, or any other hobby...and I never questioned whether any of these belong in the AMA!

"Of course, that's business 101 too" You might consider moving up to business 102 or even 201 to understand that.

Your dedication to questioning my ulterior motives are simply baseless. My motivations are the same as those of Silent Flyer, and that is what I posted from the start (who is not a sponsored pilot, or rep!). I never deviated from that, in spite of all the meandering baseless theories formulated to discredit what I and anyone sharing my views have expressed here regarding AMA's position vis-a-vis drones. That REALLY is the only concern.
I absolutely don't care how many drones are sold or flown, as long as it done outside of the AMA, so that if and when regulation comes targeting drones, we are not adversely affected. THAT IS MY (OUR) ONLY CONCERN. And I summize that the only chance we have for this to happen, is that a clear difference is formulated and advocated by the AMA when they represent us in front of the media, the law makers and the public.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:32 AM
rcmiket

In the for what it's worth category.

Based on my first hand experience as a retailer ( I know some think that it means nothing) 99% of the "drones" we sell (and trust me its a bunch) the owners will never become modelers as we know it. When we mention "suggested flying locations and suggested rules" they could care less. The thought of joining the AMA or a local club is looked on as a added expense they want no part of. The 1% are being bought by traditional modelers who are already AMA and club members.

Mike
Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Not a rep.

Drones are simply not in competition with what we produce. No more so than kites, gliders, helicopters, or any other hobby...and I never questioned whether any of these belong in the AMA!

I wasn't referring to drones. I was referring to aircraft flown under the FAA's defintion of "Model Aircraft Operations".

"Of course, that's business 101 too" You might consider moving up to business 102 or even 201 to understand that.

Your dedication to questioning my ulterior motives are simply baseless.

I'm entitled to my own opinion.

My motivations are the same as those of Silent Flyer, and that is what I posted from the start (who is not a sponsored pilot, or rep!).

He is a Futaba rep, but not a small business owner with a financial stake.

I never deviated from that, in spite of all the meandering baseless theories formulated to discredit what I and anyone sharing my views have expressed here regarding AMA's position vis-a-vis drones. That REALLY is the only concern.

If that's your concern you shouldn't be wasting your time here. Perhaps a refresher on business 101 is in order? You should already know little if anything productive ever comes out of public forums.

I absolutely don't care how many drones are sold or flown, as long as it done outside of the AMA, so that if and when regulation comes targeting drones, we are not adversely affected.
THAT IS MY (OUR) ONLY CONCERN. And I summize that the only chance we have for this to happen, is that a clear difference is formulated and advocated by the AMA when they represent us in front of the media, the law makers and the public.
You're entitled to your own opinion and so am I.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
In the for what it's worth category.

Based on my first hand experience as a retailer ( I know some think that it means nothing) 99% of the "drones" we sell (and trust me its a bunch) the owners will never become modelers as we know it. When we mention "suggested flying locations and suggested rules" they could care less. The thought of joining the AMA or a local club is looked on as a added expense they want no part of. The 1% are being bought by traditional modelers who are already AMA and club members.

Mike
So if they are detrimental to the hobby, why are you selling them?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:09 AM
rcmiket

Only in the hands of idiots are they detrimental and we have absolutely no control over who's a idiot and who's not.. Do I think it;s "traditional " modeling ,no, If they banded them tomorrow ( which they won't) I would lose one wink of sleep over it.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 09-25-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Silent-AV8R

I think I see the core of the issue here. You apparently think that we are saying that MR, etc. are detrimental to the hobby. That is categorically NOT what I am saying. What I am saying, and I think many others as well, is that lumping THAT hobby with OUR hobby is causing our hobby problems. MR/aerial camera platforms are very cool and can be an amazing hobby in their own right. However, it is NOT the hobby we mostly all enjoy. It is NOT model airplanes.

Yes, by the Section 336 they are considered model aircraft for the sake of regulations, just like a golf cart is considered a motor vehicle by the DMV, but I think most of you can see the difference between a golf cart and the family truckster!!

What I am saying is that by not making a clear distinction between our hobby and their hobby we are paying the price for all the bad actors who will never have an interest in model aviation like we have. What is so difficult to understand about that concept ??

Estimates show that perhaps as many as 750,000 MR camera platforms were sold in the US in 2014 alone. That does not include the toy market. AMA has seen a modest increase in membership, maybe 10,000 or so, if that. So maybe 1% of the drone owners cared enough to join the AMA, which also means that 99% of them are likely not to give one wit about our rules for safe operation, or even know about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.