Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Proposed Drone Law in California

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Proposed Drone Law in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:24 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Porcia's questions are very relevant, if you understnad them. If you can't answer them, your proposals have no merit.
Please clarify. Which proposals of mine have no merit?
Old 09-26-2015, 05:44 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Hows the big "get rid of the drone get the AMA back to traditional modeling" efforts going in your area? Mustering the troops for the battle?"

I don't want to "get rid of the drones". I just don't see them ever joining our (the AMA) ranks. As usual you take it to the extreme.

Mike
Old 09-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Duncman

Guys, thanks for your answers, if I may trouble you with one more question? Would an RC Model similar to what is in rcmike's link be considered a Model Aircraft in the traditional sense if it were scratch built and scale?
Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by porcia83
How about this one.....traditional RC or no?

I see that you are focused on the type of aircraft rather than the intended use and operation. You keep trying to play a game where you want each and every thing that can be flown with a radio to be sharply defined as one type of modeling or another. That misses the point, and I think you know it. Answer me this, are you really trying to say that you see zero difference between a guy at the local flying field flying an FMS warbird and the guy with a Phantom 3 flying over a crowded beach, playground, etc.??
Old 09-26-2015, 08:07 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Duncman
Guys, thanks for your answers, if I may trouble you with one more question? Would an RC Model similar to what is in rcmike's link be considered a Model Aircraft in the traditional sense if it were scratch built and scale?
I would think it would be considered "traditional" if built scale. That's just my opinion.

Mike
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Porcia,

Your line of interrogative questions aren't all that relevant to the issues being discussed. While I applaud you for being hell-bent on defining everything in the rc world as black or white, in the bigger scheme of things, you are intelligent enough to understand the gist of, "traditional model aviation" and what silent, island, Mike, myself and others are saying here.

It's okay to have different viewpoints (you said it yourself). In reality, YOU are the one that is trying too hard, regardless of how many times you accuse others of doing so. Your debate tactics are underhanded and deplorable, they bring nothing but hate and vitriol to these discussions (study logical fallacies much? https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ ).

Funny how YOU can say, "I think you know what I was getting at", then turn around and grill others and claim ignorance when it comes to their very straightforward points or terms (i.e. "traditional model aviation"}.

I think we can continue to have an insightful discussion here as long as those engaged keep their posts fair, concise and fact-based. It is a two-way street and it is clear that both sides have tossed their share of grenades.

Regards,

Astro
LOL...I admire your righteous indignation, So powerful, so moving, the only thing missing is a soapbox (a traditional one of course). You've taken a discussion and made it so personal, it's a mix of being funny and sad/pathetic at the same time. Relax, it's all gonna be o/k.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
What are you, sponsored by the FAA? Or are you just a FAA Fanboi? LOL!

Keep trying to what? And, yes, I would like you to answer that!

You can continue to try and berate and discredit me with your ignorant statements all you want, but those tactics are getting old and transparent and bring nothing positive to this thread.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Regards,

AStro
I hesitate to even write this, as I know it will prompt yet another response, and will probably miss the point...but take a look at what you just wrote, and circle back with your concept of tactic, and berating, discrediting etc etc.

Were those positive comments to the thread?
Old 09-26-2015, 10:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I see that you are focused on the type of aircraft rather than the intended use and operation. You keep trying to play a game where you want each and every thing that can be flown with a radio to be sharply defined as one type of modeling or another. That misses the point, and I think you know it. Answer me this, are you really trying to say that you see zero difference between a guy at the local flying field flying an FMS warbird and the guy with a Phantom 3 flying over a crowded beach, playground, etc.??
I'm not playing any game here, and I'm not moving the goalpost as you are doing with this comment. When did we start talking about intended use and operation? Thought we were discussing "traditional RC modeling" no? I purposely selected those specific planes to challenge someone to think about that nebulous concept of "traditional RC modeling" juxtaposed next to a flying wing that lifts of vertically, then transition into horizontal flight. Or a foamy plane made to look like a cartoon character. Or perhaps a foamy plane called a Nutball. I've asked like what, 4 times if these would be considered "traditional RC modeling" and not one answer. Or better yet, what is "traditional RC modeling". It's a hard question to answer isn't it? Of course it is, because there is no standard here, and everyone has their own opinion as to what is traditional.

To your question, yes, there might be times when there is no difference between someone flying a warbird and DJI over a crowd, safe to say we've both seen people do this. Before joining a club and learning about AMA safety guidelines I flew a small foamy glider with a keychain camera over our neighborhood to get video of a kids annual activity. Everyone loved it, thought it was cool, and asked for copies of the footage. In retrospect, it was a really stupid thing to have done, and I'm lucky nothing bad happened.

For the most part yes, two very different intents in the specific example you gave. Both bad ideas too!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This thread is starting to read like an old Abbot and Costello routine.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

I was thinking Three Stooges.....
Old 09-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Duncman

Nyuk, nyuk!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

actually, intended use is the one and only thing that defines/separates traditional model aviation from commercial drone operation.
and anything that both flys and has the ability to be used for money making or carrying a camera, or other sensors, or delivery of goods, is capable of being a commercial drone.
from one who has made a good bit from operation of commercial drones, fixed wing, rotor wing, and multi rotor
Old 09-28-2015, 11:38 AM
TimJ

No Tim, we would not and did not. When helicopters came on the scene there were no widespread reports of people flying over crowds, stadiums, etc. which caused issues for the rest of the hobby. I got my first RC heli in 1984 and was welcomed at our local AMA club field. I have never once ever heard anyone say that helis are outside what we have done in this hobby for so long.

Are you seriously trying to say that you do not see any differences between the new generation of aerial camera platform operators and when RC helis came on the scene??

And again, and I am not sure how many different ways I need to say this. I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH MUTLI-ROTORS. I own several. I enjoy flying them. But I have never confused them with my hobby of flying RC airplanes and helicopters. So I feel pretty comfortable with my opinions since I have actual experience in both worlds. Plus, I am active on at least 2 MR forums and am very conversant with the attitudes of the majority of MR AP folks toward the rest of our hobby.
I know you are a good guy, I'm not attacking you.

I am also smack in the middle of Multi-Rotor with actual experience. I am also very comfortable with my opinion. I am out flying, involved with clubs and meet ups based only on Multi-Rotor aircraft, not just traditional AMA clubs. Forums don't appeal to me like they did last century.

You missed my point. Which was applying the same tech to any platform, Heli or fixed wing, we would be having the same conversation depending on what would catch on, tech applied to fixed or rotary-wing. The technology now allows for anyone who would like to fly, do so with little to no practice. The enemy here is NOT the technology or the platform. The problem is the total lack of education of the world of aviation.

Say it with me. THE ENEMY OF OUR HOBBY IS NOT THE PLATFORM, BUT A TOTAL LACK OF EDUCATION OF THE WORLD OF AVIATION.

Separation of commercial operations and our hobby have already been establish. Although I don't agree with exactly how the FAA has established the differences, the line is down.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM
TimJ

I see a few of you are arguing the platform.......

Argument blown...........

I've often thought about building a scale model of this. This would blow the mind of the Scale Community. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell_X-22_side.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2122758  

Last edited by TimJ; 09-28-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

THE ENEMY OF OUR HOBBY IS NOT THE PLATFORM, BUT A TOTAL LACK OF EDUCATION OF THE WORLD OF AVIATION.
OK, I think, I am confused. Do you mean lack of education of the world and aviation. Or the world has a lack of education of aviation? Too many of's to keep track of.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by TimJ

Say it with me. THE ENEMY OF OUR HOBBY IS NOT THE PLATFORM, BUT A TOTAL LACK OF EDUCATION OF THE WORLD OF AVIATION.
It is the platform to some degree. An aircraft whose sole purpose is aerial photography or some other type of remote sensing to me is outside what I think of when I think of the hobby of model aviation. Beyond that I think the idea that you can "educate" the majority of people who could not care less about the AMA, our rules, or long standing safety measures is a bit of a pipe dream.

Separation of commercial operations and our hobby have already been establish. Although I don't agree with exactly how the FAA has established the differences, the line is down.
So you do not agree with the FAA interpretation that the people who work at Hobbico, Horizon, etc. are all commercial operators and thus subject to Part 107 when finalized and Section 333 exemptions currently? BTW, according to the FAA the same applies to sponsored pilots, we are not hobby related but rather non-hobby and thus subject to those same restrictions. But you say the FAA has drawn the line. I'n lost, are model related hobby companies and sponsored pilots hobby or commercial operators?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:52 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
OK, I think, I am confused. Do you mean lack of education of the world and aviation. Or the world has a lack of education of aviation? Too many of's to keep track of.
General knowledge of aviation lacking there of.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:01 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by mongo
actually, intended use is the one and only thing that defines/separates traditional model aviation from commercial drone operation.
and anything that both flys and has the ability to be used for money making or carrying a camera, or other sensors, or delivery of goods, is capable of being a commercial drone.
from one who has made a good bit from operation of commercial drones, fixed wing, rotor wing, and multi rotor
You are making good sense. IOW, you are totally off-topic in this thread.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:20 PM
TimJ

It is the platform to some degree. An aircraft whose sole purpose is aerial photography or some other type of remote sensing to me is outside what I think of when I think of the hobby of model aviation. Beyond that I think the idea that you can "educate" the majority of people who could not care less about the AMA, our rules, or long standing safety measures is a bit of a pipe dream.

So you do not agree with the FAA interpretation that the people who work at Hobbico, Horizon, etc. are all commercial operators and thus subject to Part 107 when finalized and Section 333 exemptions currently? BTW, according to the FAA the same applies to sponsored pilots, we are not hobby related but rather non-hobby and thus subject to those same restrictions. But you say the FAA has drawn the line. I'n lost, are model related hobby companies and sponsored pilots hobby or commercial operators?
You cannot blanket the community as a whole with your statement of "Beyond that I think the idea that you can "educate" the majority of people who could not care less about the AMA, our rules, or long standing safety measures is a bit of a pipe dream." Unless you are implying that educating only those whom don't want to follow safety code or FAA rules is a pipe dream. Do you mean the community as a whole, or the MINORITY of Multi-Rotor pilots that don't care about rules, or think rules don't apply to them? Don't forget there's a minority of AMA members that would still fly their models even if it was against the law.

The community as a whole CAN be taught the "do's and don'ts" of R/C aviation. Remember this is a new group of people wet behind the ears with R/C aviation.

I believe that the FAA was really short sighted in their blanket interpretation and the PL needs to be amended. I do not think the FAA rule makers fully understood our hobby when they released their interpretation. Theres black, white and grey. The grey should have been included. Meaning people who are sponsored, work in the industry or are flying competition should have been included as hobby related and NOT lumped into the commercial side. Specific verbiage should have been included either in the PL or in the interpretation by the FAA. The intent of the law was to draw a line for Commercial operations that involve surveillance, search and rescue and the dreaded camera carrying "drone", used for real estate motion or still photography or film making.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:52 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Many years ago when FPV first came out is was primarily on fixed wing models so platform isn't really the problem. It was the blatant misuse of model aircraft in flying beyond the line of sight and for commercial use. Think back to when we would hear about people flying 20 miles or more away - total disregard for safety. It is that attitude with FPV that is still the problem. Again, FPV is the problem, not superstable quadcopters. They certainly sustain the problem wut the problem is misuse of FPV! AND THAT IS AN FCC PROBLEM, NOT AN FAA PROBLEM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM
TimJ

FPV is NOT the problem either. Depending on the operator of FPV, he could be licensed by the FCC to operate RF transmitters that allow long distance flight. BUT the FAA has put an end to that by ruling that all FPV pilots must maintain VLS of their aircraft. What's happening that IS A PROBLEM, is transmitters are being sold to people that DO NOT have a FCC license to legally uses the 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, 900mhz or 450mhz at the power output it takes to fly great distances, ie outside of VLS. The same standards that applied to those who would want to purchase a HAM radio were not applied to these RF transmitters and should have. ie having to show proof of your FCC license before selling the product.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by TimJ
FPV is NOT the problem either. Depending on the operator of FPV, he could be licensed by the FCC to operate RF transmitters that allow long distance flight. BUT the FAA has put an end to that by ruling that all FPV pilots must maintain VLS of their aircraft. What's happening that IS A PROBLEM, is transmitters are being sold to people that DO NOT have a FCC license to legally uses the 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, 900mhz or 450mhz at the power output it takes to fly great distances, ie outside of VLS. The same standards that applied to those who would want to purchase a HAM radio were not applied to these RF transmitters and should have. ie having to show proof of your FCC license before selling the product.
There are now laws that I'm aware of against selling, purchasing, or owning amateur radio equipment without having an amateur radio license.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 PM
lfalsetto
My Feedback: (10)

Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There are now laws that I'm aware of against selling, purchasing, or owning amateur radio equipment without having an amateur radio license.

Do you see this loop hole as being something to celebrate...?
How does this improve your quality of life or your ability to enjoy this hobby as a flyer who follows AMA rules religiously...?

Last edited by combatpigg; 09-28-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 AM
rcmiket

The stuffs being bought direct from China and used here.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.