Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Proposed Drone Law in California

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Proposed Drone Law in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimJ
General knowledge of aviation lacking there of.
Did you mean the world lacks aviation knowledge? Because that last statement said that aviation was lacking general knowledge.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

FPV wasn't a problem until they were mass produced and sold as toys! Back in the 90's we had modelers using FPV using a television monitor and spotter. But they never flew OOS even though they had the capability.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:38 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Do you see this loop hole as being something to celebrate...?
How does this improve your quality of life or your ability to enjoy this hobby as a flyer who follows AMA rules religiously...?
It's not a loophole, it's the law. If you don't like it take it up with your congressman/congresswoman.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:48 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Did you mean the world lacks aviation knowledge? Because that last statement said that aviation was lacking general knowledge.
It seems you want to believe that I said Aviation was lacking knowledge. I tried to make my statement more clear. What do you expect?! I went to the bloody American university in Cairo.......
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

It seems you want to believe that I said Aviation was lacking knowledge. I tried to make my statement more clear. What do you expect?! I went to the bloody American university in Cairo.......
Thereof often confuses me. I am no English major but I believe it is supposed to refer to the subject, not the predicate. Therefore it said aviation was lacking knowledge? It confused me. But I believe you mean that the general public is lacking aviation knowledge.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Saw this at NPR and had to share it with you all. Like he says, what could go wrong?
"Cheaper jet fuel prices are starting to translate into lower airfares, which may begin prompting infrequent fliers to plan holiday travel.And cheaper technology may be turning drones into affordable Christmas presents. In fact, one FAA official says a million new flying robots may be under Christmas trees this year as a result of price drops.
Now let's add that up and consider what it could mean for the last week of December:
Inexperienced travelers will be crowding airport security lines. And a million inexperienced operators will be sending up drones.
Ho, ho, ho. What could go wrong?"
Seriously though, the vast majority of these drones won't be FPV so the problem is't as big as the person is making it.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ho, ho, ho. What could go wrong?"
Mid flight collision with stewardess and confiscation of drone?
Old 09-29-2015, 11:27 AM
TimJ

More fear mongering.....What a shocker.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

So drones will be the Cabbage Patch dolls of 2015? Great gifts for 5 year olds!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yeah, what a surprise.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
It's not a loophole, it's the law. If you don't like it take it up with your congressman/congresswoman.
That is what a Loop Hole is. Something that is technically legal, but also something that defeats / circumvents the Spirit of The Law.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

With all of the production, think how cheap they will be. Maybe we should make drone combat an official AMA event next year!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BYROBOT-Dr...opter/39445145
Old 09-29-2015, 11:49 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Duncman
Guys, thanks for your answers, if I may trouble you with one more question? Would an RC Model similar to what is in rcmike's link be considered a Model Aircraft in the traditional sense if it were scratch built and scale?
All that matters is HOW the model is used.....but why would someone invest $1000s of dollars to expand a model's capabilities to fly out beyond line of sight with "return to base" capability and only use it at a relatively small and boring AMA club field...?
You don't need to be blessed with too much "Forward Thinking Ability" to be able to see the very likely possibilities for future bad outcomes for the membership at large.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Yeah, what a surprise.
Indeed. The "what ifers". Fear is one of the biggest tools the propagandist will use to prove their point. At this point it's my opinion that some folks out there are just waiting for something bad to happen, almost wishing for it, so that they can be the first to jump up and say "See...I knew it, I told you so". I guess those will be the people who will be deemed blessed with forward thinking abilities, after the fact of course. Now before the usual folks get their underoos in a twist, I'm not suggesting they want people hurt, or that those people are even those among us here, but they are out their waiting, I'm sure of it. Statistically, I'm willing to bet the numbers are extremely remote. FPV and quads have been around how long now...at least 5 or more years, and still nothing proven in terms of disaster. The AMA did release it's own review and summary of "near misses", and not surprisingly had a different analysis, fwiw.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:16 PM
combatpigg

Some folks are endowed with enough common sense and ability to see a poor ratio "Risk / Reward" in certain ventures....some folks don't.
What was your opinion of the Park Pilot Program when it was first being conceptualized...?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So drones will be the Cabbage Patch dolls of 2015? Great gifts for 5 year olds!
Might just happen, several big box stores are planning on cashing in on the craze this holiday season.

Mike
Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Some folks are endowed with enough common sense and ability to see a poor ratio "Risk / Reward" in certain ventures....some folks don't.
What was your opinion of the Park Pilot Program when it was first being conceptualized...?
Right...and some of those folks "endowed with enough common sense" might also see .0001% of risk as a reason to not go forward. The "what ifers" in other words. FIrst blessed, now endowed..I'm sensing a theme here.

As for the Park Pilot Program, I wasn't part of AMA when it was being conceptualized and rolled out, so I can't answer that question. Looking back on it now, looks like the AMA was evolving and being creative, looking for new potential members, increasing awareness of the hobby, and providing coverage for people. Say, how did that program turn out?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Might just happen, several big box stores are planning on cashing in on the craze this holiday season.

Mike
Well, I'd say companies already started cashing in on this "craze" last year. Grocery stores, heck even gas stations were selling them. Most did not have cameras, and were toy grade. Sort of like the Air Hogs Helis...look cool, cheap price, flies once and then thrown away.

I think the phase has passed, last years sales were the best. Maybe with new technology and cheaper prices the sales will stay strong, but I think other things will come along as they always do, ie: hoverboards.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:46 PM
combatpigg

Is "Being Creative" the same thing as not being able to see a Train Wreck on the horizon..?
Is all of the wasted time and energy spent by the AMA on this BS reflective of only fore seeing a.001% risk factor...?
Same for all of the negative, reputation damaging FPV related incidents and bad press..... is that all part of the .0001% risk factor too...?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Where was the train wreck again?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by porcia83
Where was the train wreck again?
The AMA ended up spending $$$$ a lot of money for each and every member of the PPP that they were ever able to sign up.
They practically created an entire separate branch of the AMA complete with it's own magazine staff in order to "embrace" this booming exciting new form of model aviation with unlimited potential for growth.
The message traffic at this forum was roughly 50 / 50 pro and con.
Funny thing about it is AFTER the program proved to be such a financial flop, the "Pro PPP Advocates" developed amnesia and today you won't find many who acknowledge that they were one of the fools who rode the "PPP Band Wagon."
Old 09-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

That is what a Loop Hole is. Something that is technically legal, but also something that defeats / circumvents the Spirit of The Law.
No. Technically, that's ignorance. That's when people don't understand how things work, but find fault due to their own uninformed lack of knowledge.

Owning amateur radio equipment is no different than owning R/C equipment. It's the operation that can make it illegal, not the possession of it. Now, if it was illegal to own amateur radio equipment w/o an amateur radio license then you'd by playing the constitution card.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The AMA ended up spending $$$$ a lot of money for each and every member of the PPP that they were ever able to sign up.
They practically created an entire separate branch of the AMA complete with it's own magazine staff in order to "embrace" this booming exciting new form of model aviation with unlimited potential for growth.
The message traffic at this forum was roughly 50 / 50 pro and con.
Funny thing about it is AFTER the program proved to be such a financial flop, the "Pro PPP Advocates" developed amnesia and today you won't find many who acknowledge that they were one of the fools who rode the "PPP Band Wagon."
Got numbers or just propaganda, again?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right...and some of those folks "endowed with enough common sense" might also see .0001% of risk as a reason to not go forward. The "what ifers" in other words. FIrst blessed, now endowed..I'm sensing a theme here.

As for the Park Pilot Program, I wasn't part of AMA when it was being conceptualized and rolled out, so I can't answer that question. Looking back on it now, looks like the AMA was evolving and being creative, looking for new potential members, increasing awareness of the hobby, and providing coverage for people. Say, how did that program turn out?
IMHO it is a pilot program for those constantly complaining that dues are too high and used it as an excuse as to why people aren't joining the AMA.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

O/K....$$$$ means a lot of money. What is a lot? For that matter, what is the actual number. This sounds like speculative after the fact selective propaganda. Where's the beef ????

Hmm...sounds like diversification. Almost like QM did with it's different lines of car business, or say Starbucks did when they started selling food, clothing, and music.
The message traffic at this forum was roughly 50 / 50 pro and con. A completely meaningless and impossible to validate metric, if it was even as stated. 50-50 among 3 people, 30, 300? Thankfully I doubt the AMA reads the tea leaves of rc forums to decide how to craft a meaningful business plan.
So where are the remnant of this bandwagon? For that matter, if that program was such a huge, absolute demonstrable failure and financial flop, where was the outrage? Was there an uprising and big move put together to deal with that, much like the one we've heard is going on now in Texas. Did they vote all the folks out of office who were "on the bandwagon".

Weird thing, I think that whole program is still going on no? I coulda swore I got a copy of ParkPilot not to long ago. Chock full of ads that probably do for it what the ads do for the MA magazine....provide revenue. Take a gander at the number for MA and note that it's a revenue generator, not a drain.

So I think it's pretty clear where you stand on the PP program, and you've shared your opinion on it , but provided nothing to back up the contentions you have made. Not disagreeing with your opinion, just have nothing to validate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.